Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:49 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:09 am 
Ken Hunter

Yes, I think it will hurt more when watching the GF next week and realising we could have had those Pois on toast.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:25 am 
Craig Bradley

Before the start of this season I thought we had a mid table list that could make 5-8th in a good year, and that's where we found ourselves at the end of round 24. But that said, there was a real chance of a smash and grab this year.

The challenge now is to improve on that just as we did on the previous season... Top 4 in 24

Need to improve our list... whether it be internally or recruiting... need a bit more speed around the ball... need better forward craft from our small forwards.

Game plan needs to be looked at... need more pressure/run/dare that made us so formidable post rd15... too much reliance on stoppages and for God's sake, less bomb, bomb, bomb.

When the disappointment of a prelim final subsides (hopefully soothed by another filth GF loss), the 2 finals wins should bring a lot of joy to every Carlton supporter... but we want more.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:13 am 
Ken Hunter

Effes wrote:
Played with a never give up attitude from half way through. Very gutsy.

Nothing is guaranteed and will need a good run with injury, noting the fixture will be tougher in 2024.

Maybe need some more speed/class around the ball and in the small forward group.
Ours ended up pretty tough this year - Collingwood, Melbourne, StK and GWS all twice.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:35 am 
Serge Silvagni

bluedog wrote:
I would also like to thank all on here for contributions made throughout Season '23.

Always nice to be able to share and discuss with others, both the beautiful and ugly, that any football season brings with it.

TC is a pretty important part of my life, and not taken for granted.

Indeed.

Back in 2020, I was totally gutted after being only 2 points behind Collingwood at 3/4 time at the Gabba (yep!) we lost by four goals and I needed solace and went on line to try and find anyone else expressing the same pain and Voila!
I found Talking Carlton.

I was blown away to find this community covered so much ground and had been here for 15 years.
Why wasn't I Told?!

I am not an 'online' person.
I come here and watch youtube, that's it - no facebook etc.

Being surrounded by all the Blue yesterday and at every game, you instantly feel like being part of a huge big family. You all know the seminal moments, key experiences shared in common over many years.

Just like Talking Carlton.

Amongst the Blue I am constantly asking "are you on TC?"
What? Never heard of it? Go here....

All Carlton members should be TC members.

So in accordance with bluedog, Thank You all for all the wonderful contributions this year; the healthy, passionate debates.
Thank you for the kind PMs and all those who honour my own humble thread starts with their posts and views.

This year: our comeback was spectacular and rekindled all our faith and hopes.
We have just about the best list in the competition and they can be moulded into the best team - we pretty much were for the last 13 weeks. They deserve a flag now.

Next year: no more mid-season slumps, no more late season fades.
Let's get into the top 4 and Stay in.

WE ARE CARLTON.

And we are Back.

(p.s. tipping updates soon, over on 'Finals Campaign)

Post subject: 2023: The year in review
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:12 am 
Rod Ashman

My target at the beginning of the year was to win a final.
My adjusted target at the middle of the year was get a good draft pick!! (Seriously, I was thinking about a top 4 draft pick!!).
To make finals from there was so improbable. I remember someone on here posting in the middle of the year “wouldn’t it be amazing if we finished the season 8-3 instead of 3-8 like last year”. I almost spat out my coffee through my nose!

And yet, we started winning. And then kept winning. And then we beat Port. And then Melbourne. And then the Pies. And not only made the finals but finished 5th.

And then we won our final! And then again against a Melbourne side with everything on the line we won our way into a prelim.

And for a short while I dared to dream as we brutalised our way to a 5 goal lead (it felt a bit like our game against Adelaide earlier in the year but in reverse…).
Alas, we were not good enough for long enough.

It is clear that we belong. It is clear what we are great at. And it is also clear where we need to improve.
This will not just happen (I suspect some of the players thought it would early this year). It will take lots of hard work and steely determination.

I look forward to seeing this play out next year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:33 am 
Geoff Southby

I got value for my membership money this year.

I haven’t been able to say that for a long time.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:30 am 
Bob Chitty

aboynamedsue wrote:

This, its so simple.

Footy was fun this year.

Its been a grind for a long time, its fun to watch Carlton again.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:53 am 
Robert Walls

All the highs and lows of a footy season wrapped into one last night.

Overall super happy with the way the club and the team has grown this year. Wehave a genuine top 4 list.

We're close - agree with BH that it felt like this season was one we could have pinched.

Loved Saady talking to the boys in the huddle after the game

The results show the importance of a home qualifying final and that should be our goal for next year. Minimum expectation is top 4. We have the list

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:54 am 
Ken Hunter

The bar has been well and truly set.

Top 4 or bust in 2024.

Add to this team Williams and another full preseason into Hollands, Kemp, Cincotta, Boyd, Cowan, Motlop, TDK and Binns, the depth is well and truly there. It will be interesting to see who they aim for as a Free Agent. A couple of Melbourne fans tell me, if it was Harmes or Jordan, go Jordan @ age 22.

I hope they keep Sam Durdin on. I doubt he will push into the team ahead of the incumbents, but he can provide that seasonal depth.

The Club is in a great head space on and off the field. Teams beaten in Prelims simply have to lick their wounds and grind it out again and again.

Exciting times and thanks to all at the Club who let us all hold our heads up with pride again.

Regards Cazzesman

Last edited by Cazzesman on Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:54 am 
Bob Chitty

One of the craziest seasons I can remember. The middle of the year with 8/9 losses felt like the lowest of lows in my time supporting given the level of expectation on this team. The turnaround after that was nothing short of remarkable and really a joy to be involved with. Very proud of how the club and players banded together and worked out of their rut.

I said at the start of the season the bare minimum for a pass was to make the finals. To win a final was great but the Melbourne game really was incredible. Felt like 10 years of pent up emotion just spilled out in the crowd when we got over the line.

Ultimately the key now is to build on this year. I’m in the camp that you’ve got to experience and lose finals to win flags. Look at the past premiers. None won straight off a long finals draft. Remember Dees got smacked in 2018 prelim and dogs lost a home final in 2015. We’ve got the cattle to take the next step and it’s imperative that we use the H&A season to set up or finals campaign which realistically means making top 4.

All in all, a very positive year where the sleeping giant awoke. We’ve got our key players signed up. Time to build on it next year.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:09 pm 
Ken Hunter

ScottSaunders2 wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:

This, its so simple.

Footy was fun this year.

Its been a grind for a long time, its fun to watch Carlton again.

I'll wait until Saturday's result before saying that.

Should it go the wrong way, I'll say the season will have nearly been a complete disaster.

I still have the distinct and pleasant memory of us being them in the pre-season practice match.

Until each team plays each other the same number of times, the AFL, as a fair dinkum competition, cannot be taken seriously.

He (Mr Swann) said the honour and pride associated with the club's traditional navy blue jumper was priceless.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 1:04 pm 
Geoff Southby

Great thanks to The Carlton Football Club . Thanks to the President , the CEO . the Coach and his Assistants , and thanks to all the support staff . I"m sure you are all doing your very best . The Melbourne Cup is never won at the Clock Tower . We are not there yet but are on our way . What was good enough this year will not be good enough next year . We have to improve in all areas and i feel certain the powers that be are aware of that and are working feverishly already to maintain that improvement . Even in our depths of despair i am always proud of our great Club . And despite the disappointment of yesterday i am extra proud today . Go Blues , onward and upwards .

The Carlton Football Club ............ Now Always Forever .

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 1:07 pm 
Robert Walls

Mickstar wrote:
Great thanks to The Carlton Football Club . Thanks to the President , the CEO . the Coach and his Assistants , and thanks to all the support staff . I"m sure you are all doing your very best . The Melbourne Cup is never won at the Clock Tower . We are not there yet but are on our way . What was good enough this year will not be good enough next year . We have to improve in all areas and i feel certain the powers that be are aware of that and are working feverishly already to maintain that improvement . Even in our depths of despair i am always proud of our great Club . And despite the disappointment of yesterday i am extra proud today . Go Blues , onward and upwards .

The Carlton Football Club ............ Now Always Forever .

This site needs a like button. :clap: :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 1:16 pm 
Robert Walls

We started the year a good side in bad form who nonetheless kept winning.
Then we turned into a good side in awful form who lost constantly.
Then we became a good side in scorching form who won constantly.
Then we slipped back into being a good side in middling form who somehow found ways to win.
Then we became a great side in average form who won the last few games on heart.

It was, in short, a rollercoaster.

Last edited by bluechampion on Mon Sep 25, 2023 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 1:24 pm 
Geoff Southby

bluechampion wrote:
We started the year a good side in bad form who nonetheless kept winning.
Then we turned into a good side in awful form who lost constantly.
Then we because a good side in scorching form who won constantly.
Then we slipped back into being a good side in middling form who somehow found ways to win.
Then we became a great side in average form who won the last few games on heart.

It was, in short, a rollercoaster.

Geez thats good Champ . Thats it in a nutshell .

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:08 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:36 pm 
Geoff Southby

Cazzesman wrote:
The bar has been well and truly set.

Top 4 or bust in 2024.

Add to this team Williams and another full preseason into Hollands, Kemp, Cincotta, Boyd, Cowan, Motlop, TDK and Binns, the depth is well and truly there. It will be interesting to see who they aim for as a Free Agent. A couple of Melbourne fans tell me, if it was Harmes or Jordan, go Jordan @ age 22.

I hope they keep Sam Durdin on. I doubt he will push into the team ahead of the incumbents, but he can provide that seasonal depth.

The Club is in a great head space on and off the field. Teams beaten in Prelims simply have to lick their wounds and grind it out again and again.

Exciting times and thanks to all at the Club who let us all hold our heads up with pride again.

Regards Cazzesman

Natural improvement from the youngsters.

And a bit of help for Charlie.

Top 1. :smile:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:38 pm 
Rod Ashman

bluehammer wrote:
We learnt a lot from our last game in 22

We'll learn a lot from our last game in 23

Its all part of it.

Just felt that this year was 'pinchable', like 2008 hawthorn.

Agree.

It would have made the best ever narrative in VFL/AFL history in my opinion for Carlton to have won it this year due to being so far down the abyss mid-season & then those two phenomenal finals matches.

I went to the first final.. Carlton is a colossus.
Go to the finals & you see it. You hear it, you feel it.
If this group -Cripps, Walsh etc- can win a flag they will make Collingwood, Richmond etc look like tiny bush clubs in comparison in terms of support.
Carlton vs Shepparton Bears.
Carlton vs Moama
I couldn’t sleep till 230am last night… but I prefer this type of pain to the 20 year pain 2002-22.

Last edited by tap in 79 on Sun Sep 24, 2023 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 4:16 pm 
Robert Walls

United club

United playing group

United supporters

Belief. Respect. Trust. Humility.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 6:20 pm 
Ken Hunter

london blue wrote:
United club

United playing group

United supporters

Belief. Respect. Trust. Humility.

At the risk of whatever, I cannot forget, nor excuse, the booing of the team/coach just a few months back.

I fully understand that supporters are united in their want of success - who doesn't want that - but disrespect in that form is not welcome.

Until each team plays each other the same number of times, the AFL, as a fair dinkum competition, cannot be taken seriously.

He (Mr Swann) said the honour and pride associated with the club's traditional navy blue jumper was priceless.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next