Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:00 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Re: Robbie on Board :-)
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2023 1:26 pm 
Geoff Southby

Yeah
Great album

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2023 1:36 pm 
Wayne Johnston

keogh wrote:
Cazzesman wrote:
keogh wrote:
Then there is Coldplay
They played in Perth last weekend
First two albums were great then it’s been shit
Ditto the Foo Fighters after there first 3 albums plus a couple of good songs per album after that
Or maybe I’m just old

Anyway good publicity for the club although I wouldn’t be surprised if Robbie really does give two shits about us
Good for his image

You never fail do you Keogh. :lol: You just had to throw that jibe in didn't you. Damn you are one pessimistic human.

Regards Cazzesman

Realist
Are Abba still members
Look it’s good and fun surely you can see the BS mate
As for RW
Excellent performer but his music is vomit material imo
Just an opinion
Where all entitled to one as I scribe with my Mark of Cain Ill at Ease t shirt covering my torso
And when I see them at The Freo Social Club with 400 other demented pessimists at least we will all be there to hear the music
These big outdoor concerts are full of wankers in the audience who are there to just be there and really don’t give a shit about the music
Ah sorry Cazz getting a bit carried away

Gee mate, there’s more than a few who post on this fan forum who aren’t even members anymore, why would you call out ABBA for loosing faith?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2023 2:16 pm 
Geoff Southby

sinbagger wrote:
keogh wrote:
Cazzesman wrote:
keogh wrote:
Then there is Coldplay
They played in Perth last weekend
First two albums were great then it’s been shit
Ditto the Foo Fighters after there first 3 albums plus a couple of good songs per album after that
Or maybe I’m just old

Anyway good publicity for the club although I wouldn’t be surprised if Robbie really does give two shits about us
Good for his image

You never fail do you Keogh. :lol: You just had to throw that jibe in didn't you. Damn you are one pessimistic human.

Regards Cazzesman

Realist
Are Abba still members
Look it’s good and fun surely you can see the BS mate
As for RW
Excellent performer but his music is vomit material imo
Just an opinion
Where all entitled to one as I scribe with my Mark of Cain Ill at Ease t shirt covering my torso
And when I see them at The Freo Social Club with 400 other demented pessimists at least we will all be there to hear the music
These big outdoor concerts are full of wankers in the audience who are there to just be there and really don’t give a shit about the music
Ah sorry Cazz getting a bit carried away

Gee mate, there’s more than a few who post on this fan forum who aren’t even members anymore, why would you call out ABBA for loosing faith?

Same thing happened nearly 50 years ago
I think we could get the Scott brothers to stand side by side with big Harry
Might harden him up a bit

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:04 am 
Wayne Johnston

sinbagger wrote:
DocSherrin III wrote:
Taylor is really good. Unbelievably talented. You all sound really old!

Someone said to me recently, "don't you feel bad going to the concert when so many of her fans will miss out?" to which I replied "I am a fan". This isn't just another pop act. 10 albums, all different. An extremely gifted songwriter, singer, live performer and the marketing...we've never seen anything like it. This is a cultural phenomenon - the likes of which haven't been seen before.

And yes - I'll be wearing my 1993 Mil Hanna jumper to the MCG in February (I don't have a Blake Acres one).

Ok, you’ve convinced me, I’m going to make an effort to listen to her albums over the next week. Probably I missed all the hype because I was in Singapore and I relied on my daughter to bring “young music” to my attention, and she was more into BTS and Billie Eilish.

So I planned to listen to all her albums while I worked this week, however I didn’t manage to make to the end of her first, unremarkable, album. So then I thought let’s cut to the chase and went to her “essentials” playlist.

What an unremarkable list of very forgettable songs. However I did discover that I recognised two of her songs, two out of 50 “essential” songs. I also have to agree that her albums are different, some are country and some are pop.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 7:57 am 
Bruce Doull

sinbagger wrote:
However I did discover that I recognised two of her songs, two out of 50 “essential” songs.

Your radio is stuck on AM?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:06 am 
Wayne Johnston

Wojee wrote:
sinbagger wrote:
However I did discover that I recognised two of her songs, two out of 50 “essential” songs.

Oh I’ve probably heard more of her songs than those two, they were just so unremarkable that I promptly forgot them.

Interesting side note, but AM radio doesn’t work in Electric Cars, apparently too much interference from the electric motor, so soon very few of us will be listening to AM radio.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:33 pm 
Rod Ashman

sinbagger wrote:
Wojee wrote:
sinbagger wrote:

Oh I’ve probably heard more of her songs than those two, they were just so unremarkable that I promptly forgot them.

Interesting side note, but AM radio doesn’t work in Electric Cars, apparently too much interference from the electric motor, so soon very few of us will be listening to AM radio.

I'd be interested to hear what songs you think are remarkable by any artist?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:43 am 
Wayne Johnston

showbag wrote:
sinbagger wrote:
Wojee wrote:
sinbagger wrote:

That would be a massive list of hundreds of songs, the band I played in had a set list of more than 70 covers, and that was limited by songs I could actually play! (Thankfully the other guys in the band were pretty talented).

The Taylor Swift two were
- I knew you were trouble
- We are never ever getting back together again

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:50 pm 
Rod Ashman

sinbagger wrote:
showbag wrote:
sinbagger wrote:
Wojee wrote:
sinbagger wrote:

That would be a massive list of hundreds of songs, the band I played in had a set list of more than 70 covers, and that was limited by songs I could actually play! (Thankfully the other guys in the band were pretty talented).

I played in bands for years and don't think over all the years i could call one of the songs remarkable :wink:

I was just after context for what you think a remarkable song sounds like.

I'd say Love Story by Taylor has a hair on the back of your neck moment with the dubstep/bass drop which is pretty remarkable (although not necessarily groundbreaking), but i've been an unashamed fan since i first heard Tim McGraw.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:15 am 
Wayne Johnston

showbag wrote:
sinbagger wrote:
showbag wrote:
sinbagger wrote:
Wojee wrote:

I played in bands for years and don't think over all the years i could call one of the songs remarkable :wink:

I was just after context for what you think a remarkable song sounds like.

I'd say Love Story by Taylor has a hair on the back of your neck moment with the dubstep/bass drop which is pretty remarkable (although not necessarily groundbreaking), but i've been an unashamed fan since i first heard Tim McGraw.

I was using the word remarkable in the context of its definition as “worthy of attention”, I think you’re thinking of a more “amazing” interpretation?

Maybe I should also clarify that our band only played covers that we wanted to play (no originals), we were very self-indulgent, so by definition we collectively considered all the songs we played as “worthy of attention”. Maybe that clarifies?

Is Tim MacGraw the song where she keeps singing about her “blue jeans”, that’s all I remember, it was one of the first I listened to. Actually I think listened to it twice, once off the first album and then again off her “Essential” playlist. The dub step/bass drop maybe remarkable but the overall song seems pretty unremarkable to me.

What songs would I consider remarkable? Here’s a few:
- anything from “Wish you were here”, “Animals”, “dark side of the moon”, or “The Wall”
- the majority of the Beatles catalogue
- pretty much anything from “Trophy Night” by wedding, parties, anything
- Tubular Bells by Mike Oldfield
- “The man with the child in his eyes” by Kate bush
- “bellyache” by Billy Eilish
- “take me to church” by Hozier
- Crossroads by Robert Johnson

A remarkable song is by definition a subjective selection.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:22 pm 
Harry Vallence

Cazzesman wrote:
I was so tempted to buy a T-shirt that popped up on Caz's facebook page recently.

"I am so glad I am old enough to remember the good bands."

Noomah Blue would agree. :lol:

Regards Cazzesman

I thought it was Noonamah Blue after the iconic pub just outside Darwin, but anyway... NTBlue agrees!