Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:01 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:47 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

We put enough cues in the rack at halftime to keep Walter Lindrum busy for eternity.

:lol: :thumbsup:

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2023 10:05 pm 
Serge Silvagni

Heavs wrote:
More annoyed we kicked those last two to get St kilda a home final

Yeah, but "if" they beat GWS (unlikely) they're off to Adelaide!

@#$%&! em

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2023 10:30 pm 
Craig Bradley

Great we are in the finals and thank goodness we were not relying on winning this week
After 9 wins in a row I supposed it was to be expected

However very poor team performance Acres probably our only winner

Decision making skills tenacity chase tackling all sub par
Shocking entries into forward line
Smashed out of centre
Team defence terrible far to many GWS players free out the back of yheir forward line

Wont get near the Swans if the play like that but hopefully a one off

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:16 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

We learnt a few things today.

If you didn't know already, Cripps is absolutely vital to our stoppage set up. Boy we missed him today.

Doc's direction on the field is equally as important. He directs and positions. He is the on field coach.

If JSOS can't play, we have to play Pittonet despite his short comings. Harry in the ruck is awful.

Walsh, Cerra and Gov all needed the run.

Fisher v Boyd will be a fascinating selection. Fish was horrible today.

If you didn't already know, Toby Greene is little dog cauliflower and a stain on the competition.

What we don't know is whether today was an aberration after being up for so long? Are these guys just satisfied with making finals? Can we recapture the firm of the last few months? All will be revealed Friday week. I can't wait to see is on the MCG in September action once again. It's been a long time coming

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:01 am 
Ken Hunter

6.10pm - never again AFL.

I didn't go and trying to watch the game while doing dinner and bed for school and kinder aged kids was basically impossible.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:35 am 
Bob Chitty

Hard to know what to take out of that last night given we couldn’t move up or down the ladder. I’m not too fussed about the performance at this stage given the stakes. GWS had a lot more to play for and wanted it more in that second half.

Good to see Charlie win the Coleman early.

A number of players on the fringe didn’t do much for the finals hopes. Harry rucking did not work at all. Also no idea why Newman wasn’t sent to Greene.

Shame about Acres injury as he was close to our best on the night.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:50 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

I think we went in that game to experiment with a couple of things. Main one being H as 2nd ruck. Thought he was very good in 1st half and opposite of that in 2nd half. It's a big call to have a player they're unaccustomed to playing to play in the finals. Starting to lean towards Pitto returning. If we don't cop early injuries sub him off in the last for extra run.
H can work on his ruck craft in the preseason and play that 2nd ruck role in 2024.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:50 am 
Bruce Doull

Yup….

Acres is the worry for me too…!

i guess we won’t know who they preferred
to play…because that may come into it…
but there were a few “moves” hey…!

kindest regards tommi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 9:41 am 
Bruce Doull

Weird atmosphere at the ground in the second half, I don't think I've ever at a packed stadium where you can clearly hear the players calling to each other. It was almost like the main event was Charlie getting his two goals and the undercard was a half arsed game of footy that noone was interested in. Even weirder that the atmosphere was the guy in front of me who chowed down on a punnet of carrot sticks that he was dipping into a tub of Western Star butter.

Cerra looked like a bloke who hadn't played in a month, ditto Walsh.
I didn't mind McGovern taking the aggressive option even if it resulted in a GWS goal, the game was all but gone anyway. Much better that than a blind kick on your wrong foot when you're 5m in the clear a-la Fisher.

GWS have a stacked midfield and Carlton was always going to find it hard given the absence of Cripps and having so many underdone players return. I don't like the general bye before finals but in this instance it's just what Carlton needs. Hopefully Acres is right to play.

Greene is a grub who plays on the edge and it'd be funny if he got a week for knackering Gov.
He's also a borderline cheat, feigning playing on to try to milk a 50, putting someone in a choke hold while pretending he was innocent and the real victim, jumping into McGovern's back to take him out of the contest and landing before the ball even got there.

In all a frustrating and strange evening at the footy. A shame it was so quiet in the second half, no noise to drown out the boorish guy a couple of rows back who seemed to love the sound of his own foghorn voice constantly crapping on the team. I took a peek over my shoulder and I reckon I'd be a sad sack too if I hadn't seen my own junk in the last 20 years.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:17 am 
Wayne Johnston

Pros:
- Harry getting time as ruck, he did ok and we now know he can play second ruck if required for team balance.
- Acres was our prime mover and is a good finals player
- Charlie getting the Coleman again, and early in the game
- Walsh, Durdin and Cerra all got some valuable game time before finals
- Cripps will be well rested for the finals and wouldn’t have had any impact anyway in his current injured state
- Docherty, Motlop, Pittonet and Cripps will be well rested for finals as required
- we have time to review what went wrong and comeback a better team for the finals
- we are playing finals!

Cons
- We saw what happens when Fisher is made accountable in defence before finals so we now have time to adjust appropriately
- Acres injury
- Cerra and Walsh had poor games
- our entire midfield was poor
- Harry is a bit out of form, I expected him to do well when onball in general play but he was very fumbly even there with no defender pressuring him
- TDK was very quiet
- we lost momentum as a team

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:25 am 
Bruce Doull

You're right, was a weird vibe. The timeslot & the nice weather & the fact we didn't have a lot to play for gave it a bit of a festival atmosphere. Very loud & electric in Q1 but then after that, ho hum.

I came away from it feeling we'd lost a bit with Acres & Weitering. Plus I was filthy we couldn't let GWS go on with it & host St Kilda in a final. Instead we have Saints supporters calling the radio today thanking us :banghead: :banghead:

Not concerned about the game itself but I hope this is enough of a warmup for Cerra & Walsh. Again, frustating AF that our reserves went & lost to GC by 20 goals & dropped out of the finals - hopeless by them.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 11:02 am 
Bruce Doull

Wow….

how stupid is our football media…?

in one breath they tell us Carlton had nothing to
play for…bit of a dead rubber…and in the next…they’re
carrying on about how fantastic GWS were…!

dumb…!

kindest regards tommi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 11:07 am 
Bruce Doull

Also been crickets on the GWS cheer squad member who reached over the fence to give Weitering a patronising pat on the back.
Wasn't there an uproar in the media a few weeks back when a fan touched a player?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:02 pm 
Geoff Southby

Next week is what counts
In regards to Toby yep he is annoying but shit I would love him in a Carlton jumper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:22 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

keogh wrote:
Next week is what counts
In regards to Toby yep he is annoying but shit I would love him in a Carlton jumper

Same he is an absolute tossbag but wish he was our tossbag.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 1:13 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

toby would be the perfect foil to charlie.

like a game in/game out consistent version of martin.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:15 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

I believe Toby was making the point that if Toby Green did what Weiters did he'd be suspended: The Toby Tax. True.

Doesn't mean Weiters is guilty either.

No need to throw Weiters under the bus though. Toby could have waited for another time.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:19 pm 
Bruce Doull

Does the Toby Tax actually exist anyway? He's got away with a few over the journey if memory serves

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 6:24 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

CK95 wrote:
Does the Toby Tax actually exist anyway? He's got away with a few over the journey if memory serves

Early days he got away with a lot, then nuff was nuff for the nuff.

He just kept on doing it; Rhys Jones like...well not that bad, but...you know...you wouldn't want your son playing against him...its not footy....he crosses the line...often...too often.

What about the choke on Gov he applied, and kept on with it harder well after the umpires whistle? He got away with that.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 6:27 pm 
Craig Bradley

sinbagger wrote:
Cons
- TDK was very quiet

What game were you watching? 34 Hitouts, 16 touches and a big goal from 50 out, I'd suggest that's a very decent return. Just needs to get his marking game going again

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next