Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:37 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 7:34 am 
Harry Vallence

Cudos to Matt Cottrell.

1 passage of play in the 2nd quarter showed exactly why he is picked every week.

Running power.

Started behind 2 defenders, gut run past both of them, gathered, kicked around the corner and hit a teammate lace out. Goal.
Brilliant 4 quarter running power.

16kms covered yesterday, easily the most of any player on the ground, 3kms at full speed.
:thanks: :thanks:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 8:40 am 
Laurie Kerr

CK95 wrote:
Curnow reminded me of Kouta in that 95 Brisbane final today

Sent from my Nokia G21 using Tapatalk

And Curnow’s last mark reminded me of that 99 final.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 8:49 am 
Serge Silvagni

17th Premiership wrote:
Another couple of huge psych milestones ticked off yesterday:
1) Taking the opportunity to take our opportunity!
2) Beating the Suns up there in a classic banana peel match, which we usually fail and has cost more than one coach their jobs!
3) Finding another way to win… clearly, we are getting weary so whilst I would have preferred an 8 goal thumping, this showed great character which is what finals football is all about.
It will be good to get some fresh legs back into the team hopefully next week and then the rest before finals.

Indeed.

In the last 3 weeks we have pulled off two of the biggest comebacks in our history.

v St.Kilda: we were 22 to 44 at half time
Only 3 other times in the last 50 years have we been half the opposition's score and had a lower half time score and come back to win
(2008 - Port 21-44, 1992 - Bears 21-48, 1986 - Ess. 16-33

v Gold Coast: 8 to 41 at quarter time
Only once in 50 years have we won from a bigger quarter time deficit
2007 - Ess. 38 points down: 13-51

Let's hope they stop having to win this way but win this way they can!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 9:19 am 
Ken Hands

Don’t get me wrong, would love to win by 10 goals every week.but these last two wins , and the game coming up against GWS are exactly what we need to keep the boys totally focused on what lies ahead. Easy wins leading up to finals could give them a false sense of security. Hopefully we get Walsh and Cerra back next week ahead of finals . The week off will come at exactly the right time. Let’s go all the way baggers. Dare to dream. Don’t want games like that in finals , I think I’d have a heart attack.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 9:29 am 
Craig Bradley

Charlie has 114 votes in the MVP meaning some nuffy didn't give him 5. Whoever that was, hang your head in shame and do a lap.

He single handedly brought us back from the dead TWICE and then went back took the match winning Leo Barry mark.

He was on a different planet.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 9:33 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

diesel_85 wrote:
Cudos to Matt Cottrell.

1 passage of play in the 2nd quarter showed exactly why he is picked every week.

Running power.

Started behind 2 defenders, gut run past both of them, gathered, kicked around the corner and hit a teammate lace out. Goal.
Brilliant 4 quarter running power.

16kms covered yesterday, easily the most of any player on the ground, 3kms at full speed.
:thanks: :thanks:

That's impressive

I recall that Cottrell moment, and I thought at the time, if anyone was going to halve this contest its Cotts, and not only that, as you said he beat them and the rest is history.

He's always in my team.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 9:36 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Love this account of our history on the Gold Coast.

I thought dannyboy wrote this script. Not as colorful and emotive as db, but really couldnt help thinking it was db and similar to his style.

https://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/1410643/it-just-had-to-be-the-gold-coast-game-2023-edition

Monkey off our back. What a win from 40 points down, and Crippa off the ground and mids Walsh and Cerra out injured.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 9:51 am 
Bob Chitty

As many have already described, that really was a roller coaster of emotions yesterday, but most importantly we get the 4 points and lock in a finals berth.
This was always going to be a difficult game. GC play well on their home deck - last two outings were convincing wins vs Brisbane and Aints. We’ve had our issues in the past at the ground. So to find a way, just any way, to scrape over the line and get the result was massive.
Charlie take a bow. One of the great “get on my back and I’ll take you there” games. He basically kicked or set up the vast majority of our goals and then there was “that” mark late to save the game.
Weiters and Newman also excellent.
Hewett, Fisher, Dow, Mots and Acres good to.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 9:57 am 
Rod Ashman

It will be interesting on Brownlow night to see if he gets 3 votes.
I personally don’t think the umpires ignore KPPs and rucks, and that it is only a midfielders award - I just think that midfielders are usually the best players.
But if Charlie doesn’t get 3 votes, I will concede that I am wrong.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 10:05 am 
Craig Bradley

17th Premiership wrote:
It will be interesting on Brownlow night to see if he gets 3 votes.
I personally don’t think the umpires ignore KPPs and rucks, and that it is only a midfielders award - I just think that midfielders are usually the best players.
But if Charlie doesn’t get 3 votes, I will concede that I am wrong.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Midfielders usually get to more contests and are involved in the play more, hence the propensity to poll better on brownlow night. It takes a special game for a forward to get 3 votes, and an even more special game for a key defender. But Charlie will poll a few BOGs this year for sure, as Jeremy Cameron has over the years. He was a clear BOG yesterday and I'd guarantee he'll get the full compliment of coaches votes and brownlow votes.

Charlie could genuinely win a Brownlow in his time but it would rely on us winning a lot of games and him getting the supply.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 10:22 am 
Geoff Southby

Blue Vain wrote:
keogh wrote:
kingkerna wrote:
tommi wrote:
Seriously….

i don’t know why i venture into that
Match day thread…!

kindest regards tommi

FINALS…..!

That's my take out also, the posters know who they are, willing us to lose to justify their two hours of back stabbing every second player.

Showed their true colours and won't be forgotten

If you are referring to me as one of those people you refer to as to what I said about Martin
Personally I’m really happy to follow us in September for the first time in a decade
And I hope Martin plays well
I just wish he sometimes would take some body contact from another player

You mean like when he took the contact in the middle off the ground a few weeks ago? Collingwood from memory where it was a 50/50 ball and he smashed in, was harder and won the contest?
It's easy sitting behind a keyboard calling players soft, isn't it.
We're in the finals and 99% of us are excited and happy.
You and the other 1% have always got some sort of qualification to drag it down, no matter how impressive the situation.
Get over it. All your bagging of the club, list, administration etc 8 weeks ago, has all turned to shit. It's wonderful, isn't it?

Was going to PM you
You have some sense
Unlike King Kerna
But nah gotta do other things
I like you will enjoy The Finals journey

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 11:10 am 
Geoff Southby

Geez , that Flanders kid is good . Our midfield is getting on and is going to fall away quick . Reckon come trade period i would prioritise Midfield before small forward .

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 11:33 am 
Craig Bradley

Mickstar wrote:
Geez , that Flanders kid is good . Our midfield is getting on and is going to fall away quick . Reckon come trade period i would prioritise Midfield before small forward .

100%. If we want sustained success we need to be looking to the future and not just no.17

That’s why I’m against tying up money in Gresham. Would rather focus more on long term players unless they are guaranteed best 22 players or we get them super cheap

To be fair though, we’re really not that old…

Cripps 28
Hewett 27
Kennedy 26
Cerra 23
Walsh 23
(Dow 23)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 11:43 am 
Serge Silvagni

jake_h03 wrote:
Mickstar wrote:

100%. If we want sustained success we need to be looking to the future and not just no.17

That’s why I’m against tying up money in Gresham. Would rather focus more on long term players unless they are guaranteed best 22 players or we get them super cheap

Cripps 28
Hewett 27
Kennedy 26
Cerra 23
Walsh 23
(Dow 23)

Yeah, that group young enough to be good for at least 2 - 3 flags.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 12:22 pm 
Bruce Doull

Duked wrote:
CK95 wrote:
Curnow reminded me of Kouta in that 95 Brisbane final today

And Curnow’s last mark reminded me of that 99 final.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes good call!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 12:23 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

jake_h03 wrote:
Mickstar wrote:

Curnow 34
Docherty 30
Cripps 28
Hewett 27
Kennedy 26
Cerra 23
Walsh 23
(Dow 23)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 12:31 pm 
Bruce Doull

Did anyone else notice at times the sun glare on TV was ridiculous, kind of funny given our opponent

Extremely relieved to get the win & make it bloody hard to finish below 6th. No doubt our haters would have been watching that thinking we'd blown it, only to be proven wrong :)

I love what Owies brings to the team & the supporters. We finally have our own annoying smartass small forward who gets under the opposition's skin.

Can't wait to get Cerra Walsh Gov back into the team. Done brilliantly without them but I thought their absence was starting to show yesterday.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 12:40 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Yep the sun on TV was shocking at times... Probably should play twilight or night games exclusively up there...

I reckon...

Marchbank for Gov
Fisher/Cunningham for Boyd/Cerra
Hollands for Walsh

Tough on any outs given the way we've played but they're the changes I'd make. Would love to get Fogarty back too.

I can't find space in our setup for JSOS or Kennedy right now. Dow goes to sub, Ed, thanks.

Cunningham is the tricky one. Love what he has brought along with Martin in the high half forward sense.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 1:08 pm 
Craig Bradley

Ghost of PrincesPark wrote:
17th Premiership wrote:
Another couple of huge psych milestones ticked off yesterday:
1) Taking the opportunity to take our opportunity!
2) Beating the Suns up there in a classic banana peel match, which we usually fail and has cost more than one coach their jobs!
3) Finding another way to win… clearly, we are getting weary so whilst I would have preferred an 8 goal thumping, this showed great character which is what finals football is all about.
It will be good to get some fresh legs back into the team hopefully next week and then the rest before finals.

Indeed.

In the last 3 weeks we have pulled off two of the biggest comebacks in our history.

v St.Kilda: we were 22 to 44 at half time
Only 3 other times in the last 50 years have we been half the opposition's score and had a lower half time score and come back to win
(2008 - Port 21-44, 1992 - Bears 21-48, 1986 - Ess. 16-33

if you go back 53 years though...........

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 1:17 pm 
John James

CK95 wrote:
Did anyone else notice at times the sun glare on TV was ridiculous, kind of funny given our opponent

Extremely relieved to get the win & make it bloody hard to finish below 6th. No doubt our haters would have been watching that thinking we'd blown it, only to be proven wrong :)

I love what Owies brings to the team & the supporters. We finally have our own annoying smartass small forward who gets under the opposition's skin.

Can't wait to get Cerra Walsh Gov back into the team. Done brilliantly without them but I thought their absence was starting to show yesterday.

Yep, extremely annoying. The stadium gets plaudits for its airflow design for the heat, with gaps in the 'sails', but they needed to add some sun-deflecting layers. I wasn't there but you can see that the problem gets worse as the sun's going down - players dropping marks as they're looking directly into the sun, onballers shielding their eyes waiting for the centre bounce. Apart from that, I suspect that visiting teams really can't help struggling to fire up at the start because of the unfamiliar sunny tourist resort feel - sounds silly, I know, but I thought the commentators' remarks about us still sitting by the pool at the hotel during the first quarter weren't completely out of place.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next