Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:48 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 266 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 12:30 pm 
Craig Bradley

I think we can put to bed any discussion around Harry's selection. He's and AA and a Coleman medallist. He plays. It's like saying Walsh and Cerra shouldn't come in cause the midfield is working without them.

The debate is how we get the balance of the side right now that Harry is back.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 2:04 pm 
Robert Walls

GreatEx wrote:
The idea that we're better without Harry is nonsense, just watch that first half against Melbourne and tell me we weren't crying out for another marking target inside 50 and on the wings. But I do agree that having TDK and Pitto in addition to H is more than we need, and I'd prefer to swap Pitto for SOS if the latter is fit.

One possible theory is that we're using Pitto to absorb the heavy knocks until the end of the H&A season and that TDK-SOS-H-CC will be our ruck/key forward combo for the finals. I hope that's the case.

Excellent call :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 3:10 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

sinbagger wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:
17th Premiership wrote:
In the games where Harry played during our streak, we won by more than when he didn’t play (excluding the WCE game).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Don't let facts get in the way of a good story.
Some wanker in the media comes up with the brain dead idea that we are better without Harry. It catches on then everyone runs with it.
There has hardly been a successful finals team in the history of the game that didn't have 2 genuine marking forwards. And yes often the resting ruck forward.

You need the 2 talls down there and neither TDK or Pitto can catch the ball often enough.
And honestly if you actually watched the game how do you expect your forwards to be of any use and make repeat efforts if they have just come off running on the ball.

Oh and Daniher averaging 1 hit out per game more than Harry. Obviously Joe stints in the ruck working a treat

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk

Daniher plays ruck for team balance, not because he’s a great ruckman. Which is why Harry should also play ruck.

Correct. The theory that Daniher averaging only one more hitout than Harry as justification for not playing him as relief ruck is selective statistics at best. We can all play that game. Stats tell us we've won less than 50% of games this year with Harry in the side and 100% of games without him but that would also be deceptively misleading of the bigger picture.

The reality is Joe Daniher has gone from playing like a busted arse to All Australian contention by getting some freedom up the ground and contributing in other ways. It has also given Brisbane more flexibility in their front half. It has also helped Hipwood improve his contribution.
No one here is asking for Harry to be excluded but to provide a few minutes in the ruck. TDK has shown he can ruck the majority of the game but he needs a chop out. If Pitto plays, TDK will spend 10-15 minutes in the forward 50 alongside Harry and Charlie. Pitto will also spend stints there alongside Harry and Charlie as well. If anyone thinks that helps Charlie or the team in general, think again. Yes we need 2 tall targets up forward but not 3. Especially when 3 of the 4 can't kick to save themselves.

For the record, Daniher is averaging his most disposals, marks inside 50 and goals since 2017. Most clearances, metres gained of his career and second most score involvements since 2017. Playing as a forward/ruck. Harry's confidence has been an issue. By his own admission. This could be the kick start he needs to contribute in other ways. And more importantly, it would assist team balance.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 3:36 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Braithy wrote:
Harry is not the issue. well, maybe his inability to ruck is contributing factor. it's pitto, tdk, harry all in the same team. and particularly tdk, harry and charlie in the same forwardline at the same time. modern afl is smaller and faster - creating turnovers from manic pressure and surging forward with run. the nba went small-ball and the afl is in the midst of a similar trend.

i can't see how one of our three big man on the bench at all times is a positive from a team balance perspective.

sos imo is a bit of a vital piece and he has to play for pitto or tdk. and voss loves pitto (for reasons i can't see. after a tap to "advantage" he vanishes into thin air until the next stoppage, and whats worse he often allows his direct opponent to run past him bcos he can't keep up.

We will NOT have a one of our three big men on the bench at all times. The team is balanced and they share the workload. Work for each other. Play selfless footy.

You think Voss doesn't know what he's doing? Why the change of heart?

You obviously don't watch Pitto close enough braithy. He doesn't just vanish. If you look hard enough you will see why Vossy loves him and TDK rucking together, and admit Vossy sees something you don't.

Last week after the ball up he smashed into Gawn numerous times, and had worn him like a glove. Gawn's worst game for 2024. Another time, in the CBA, the ball hits the ground and Pitto blocks for Crippa and away we went and scored a goal? You call that vanished? He was involved with 2 goals. How many goals did we kick for the game again? 9.

There's a spot for Jack, and it came after Pittonet AND TDK were out injured against the Hawks. You have to recall SOS was a depth player. He hasn't been a priority signing either. Them the facts.

I want SOS on the list and I dont think he speeds us up so much more than Pitto that it makes a difference imo.

In Finals, opposition rucks will be English, Gawn, McInerney, Marshall, Hickey...big boys. Too big for Jack to make a 50-50 contest imo. You have to accept the rest of the squad are quick and committed playing fast contested footy.

May the best team be selected by Voss, not us, and support Vossy's decisions.

Come on mate, we are going to win by a big margin this week with Pitto vs Witts. I reckon Witts should win the contest by as much as Gawn did last week (not much) but at least he will not give his mids the silver service they would get if SOS rucked.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 3:42 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Of the 120 marks Harry has taken this year only 47 have been inside 50 ( Daniher has 50 and hasn't missed a game)
Amazing 73 have been up the ground- But only Daniher gets up the ground
Despite missing several games he is 2 behind Hawkins for Marks on a lead and level with Charlie
He is the 2nd ranked forward for contested marks only behind Charlie .
He is also the No1 player in the comp for taking marks down the line - the get out ball

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 3:53 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Blue Vain wrote:
sinbagger wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:
17th Premiership wrote:
In the games where Harry played during our streak, we won by more than when he didn’t play (excluding the WCE game).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Don't let facts get in the way of a good story.
Some wanker in the media comes up with the brain dead idea that we are better without Harry. It catches on then everyone runs with it.
There has hardly been a successful finals team in the history of the game that didn't have 2 genuine marking forwards. And yes often the resting ruck forward.

You need the 2 talls down there and neither TDK or Pitto can catch the ball often enough.
And honestly if you actually watched the game how do you expect your forwards to be of any use and make repeat efforts if they have just come off running on the ball.

Oh and Daniher averaging 1 hit out per game more than Harry. Obviously Joe stints in the ruck working a treat

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk

Daniher plays ruck for team balance, not because he’s a great ruckman. Which is why Harry should also play ruck.

Correct. The theory that Daniher averaging only one more hitout than Harry as justification for not playing him as relief ruck is selective statistics at best. We can all play that game. Stats tell us we've won less than 50% of games this year with Harry in the side and 100% of games without him but that would also be deceptively misleading of the bigger picture.

The reality is Joe Daniher has gone from playing like a busted arse to All Australian contention by getting some freedom up the ground and contributing in other ways. It has also given Brisbane more flexibility in their front half. It has also helped Hipwood improve his contribution.
No one here is asking for Harry to be excluded but to provide a few minutes in the ruck. TDK has shown he can ruck the majority of the game but he needs a chop out. If Pitto plays, TDK will spend 10-15 minutes in the forward 50 alongside Harry and Charlie. Pitto will also spend stints there alongside Harry and Charlie as well. If anyone thinks that helps Charlie or the team in general, think again. Yes we need 2 tall targets up forward but not 3. Especially when 3 of the 4 can't kick to save themselves.

For the record, Daniher is averaging his most disposals, marks inside 50 and goals since 2017. Most clearances, metres gained of his career and second most score involvements since 2017. Playing as a forward/ruck. Harry's confidence has been an issue. By his own admission. This could be the kick start he needs to contribute in other ways. And more importantly, it would assist team balance.

Wallsy, that you?

Left wing moralists
In self serving denial
They shit me no end

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 4:12 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Sydney Blue wrote:
Of the 120 marks Harry has taken this year only 47 have been inside 50 ( Daniher has 50 and hasn't missed a game)
Despite missing several games he is 2 behind Hawkins for Marks on a lead and level with Charlie
He is also the No1 player in the comp for taking marks down the line - the get out ball

I'm with you and Vossy on this.

Harry was out of form with his kicking and he admitted he lost confidence in his kicking (not his football!), but before he got injured he looked to have regained his drop punt and kicked a few goals against Hawks and Freo and everything looked hunky dory again, despite 3 talls in the forwardline.

Amazing how short some memories are. Only 3 years ago the media, TC addressed the prospect of playing such an important player like Harry in the ruck. There was outcry. Opposition rucks would target to injure him in the centre bounce, he straightens us up, best mark in the comp and kicks goals.... Have a look at the excuses for SOS form and failure as the 3rd tall because he has to ruck

I've got a close mate whose family is heavily involved with Lions, and the general feeling (of a lot of Lions supporters ) Daniher has not delivered since he came in 2017, playes the odd good game, and his form drop this year was so bad, Fagan had no choice but put him in the ruck to get him involved. His numbers look better this year because his numbers dating back to 2017 were that poor. Daniher is not the bloke you should be comparing Harry with. Who cares how Fagan deals with such an expensive millstone.

What about the argument playing an AA in their best position?

Vossy knows what he's doing. There's nothing wrong with having Harry and Charlie as the 2 permanent marking targets because they can mark. TDK stretches the backline, and he's looking more threatening as he develops. TDK won 10 ground balls last week against Demons, so what if he's 200 cm. 10! When he starts clunking his marks the 3 talls will be a huge weapon come September...if that's the way Vossy chooses to go.

3 talls wont slow down our momentum, just you wait and see in less than 24 hours.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 4:23 pm 
Ken Hunter

Harry, Charlie and TdK / JSoS will all work together to bring us success. Take that to the bank.
If you don't believe me, watch the Melbourne game and see how many times Charlie was triple teamed.
Charlie will kick a bag tomorrow!!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 4:32 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

What does a team without Pitto or TDK look like?

ie One recognised ruck with Harry giving the ruck a chop out.

How many minutes would Harry be expected to ruck, not by Voss, but by posters?

If we went in with 1 ruck, the sub would have to be a recognised ruck. Agree? Don't agree?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 4:54 pm 
Rod Ashman

The selection of Harry is a no brainer. I leave the rest to Voss and Co. In them I trust and they have earned and deserve my confidence in them.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 4:54 pm 
Bruce Doull

What about if it's TDK, Harry, & SOS?

Up until this season I was against SOS doing ruck work but I've done a 180 on that

Sent from my Nokia G21 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 4:58 pm 
Craig Bradley

bondiblue wrote:

If we went in with 1 ruck, the sub would have to be a recognised ruck. Agree? Don't agree?

Don't agree. JSOS has played second ruck a lot of the past couple of years and done a job. The idea though would be that TDK is ready to ruck 80% of the game. Most top ruckmen play better this way

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 5:01 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

bondiblue wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:

I'm with you and Vossy on this.

Harry was out of form with his kicking and he admitted he lost confidence in his kicking (not his football!), but before he got injured he looked to have regained his drop punt and kicked a few goals against Hawks and Freo and everything looked hunky dory again, despite 3 talls in the forwardline.

Yeah, hunky dory. In the games we played no recognised rucks, he regained his drop punt and played well. And somehow that's validation for playing 2 rucks? :razz:
Harry kicked probably his best against Fremantle. 3 goals, 20 possessions. No recognised rucks to compete against. Have a guess who had the 2nd most hitouts for Carlton in that game? You guessed it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 5:05 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

CK95 wrote:
What about if it's TDK, Harry, & SOS?

Up until this season I was against SOS doing ruck work but I've done a 180 on that

Martin has Jacks spot as the 3rd tall IMHO. I'd take it over Pitto/TDK/Harry/Charlie but I prefer TDK doing 70-80% of the ruckwork, Harry giving a chop out and Charlie the constant forward with Martin etc. But it's all opinions isn't it? The MC will certainly be taking no notice of what we say. :lol:

Last edited by Blue Vain on Fri Aug 18, 2023 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 5:08 pm 
Bruce Doull

Yeah but he'll probably get inj.....

Woah! Nearly jinxed him :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 5:09 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

:grin:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 6:21 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

bondiblue wrote:

you poor little mutton chop!

arguably the best ruck duo - Darcy and Jackson in freo, and without a ruckman we went to their house and slapped them sideways.

that's what a team without pitto or tdk looks. my advice is to keep tdk, use sos as the back up with harry and charlie doing their thing up front while one ruck rests forward.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 6:45 pm 
Bob Chitty

Ben King out

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 6:59 pm 
Craig Bradley

Menzel_Mayhem wrote:
Ben King out

And in other news, Troy Menzel was traded!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:01 pm 
Craig Bradley

Braithy wrote:
bondiblue wrote:

you poor little mutton chop!

arguably the best ruck duo - Darcy and Jackson in freo, and without a ruckman we went to their house and slapped them sideways.

that's what a team without pitto or tdk looks. my advice is to keep tdk, use sos as the back up with harry and charlie doing their thing up front while one ruck rests forward.

Stop making sense Braithy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 266 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next