Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:17 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 2:10 pm 
Bruce Doull

Lil' Miss Wojee II turns 15 this year, and for almost all that time Carlton has been varying degrees of shit.
She'd turn up in her Carlton gear at school footy day and hear things like "Why do you barrack for them, they're bad?"
When we'd talk about making the trip to see a game live she'd always ask "Can we go to a game we'll win for once?"

It was hard to convince her that when I was her age Carlton had won 1/3 of the flags played during my lifetime, and that we wouldn't be garbage forever.

This year it finally appears that a corner has been turned and that being a Carlton supporter isn't something that gets you sympathy or pity. The other kids don't laugh now when she says she's a Blues fan. She's able to give it back and it's not hollow, there's a real sense of "screw you, my team can beat yours and you know it".

She loves Charlie.
She loves Dow.
She loves messaging her Collingwood supporter friends after we win.

She loves Carlton.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 2:28 pm 
Ken Hunter

My son was 7 in 2000 , he smiled on sunday and said, "first time we've won 7 since 2000"- he remembers that year the way I remember the first time I read The Faraway Tree... no the way way I remember the 68 GF, standing there next to my Dad feeling bigger than life itself...then came the summer of that year...the disaster since...He texts me now after every game (it began when Voss was appointed but got a bit wobbly for a few rounds this year).

This weekend we are all going away to celebrate his 30th - when I let him know he said - but that means we'll miss the Melbourne game - he has waited many many years to be this excited...and I have felt guilty many many times that because of me he follows the bluebaggers...

Now we talk football and there is no despair in our voices...Only pride and hope.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 2:30 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

https://www.afl.com.au/news/1003139?fbclid=IwAR2owzRVrFVbAwC-2vTaCIScO8Tajrj0Scn4MqVRYi-sCFVuDEJnN4CsUiE

backs everything up

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 3:07 pm 
Bruce Doull

My 11y.o. wore his Carlton scarf to school on the Monday after the Collingwood game. There are a lot of Pies fans at his school (even though it's in Carlton country :mad: )

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 4:25 pm 
Harry Vallence

Wojee wrote:
Lil' Miss Wojee II turns 15 this year, and for almost all that time Carlton has been varying degrees of shit.
She'd turn up in her Carlton gear at school footy day and hear things like "Why do you barrack for them, they're bad?"
When we'd talk about making the trip to see a game live she'd always ask "Can we go to a game we'll win for once?"

It was hard to convince her that when I was her age Carlton had won 1/3 of the flags played during my lifetime, and that we wouldn't be garbage forever.

This year it finally appears that a corner has been turned and that being a Carlton supporter isn't something that gets you sympathy or pity. The other kids don't laugh now when she says she's a Blues fan. She's able to give it back and it's not hollow, there's a real sense of "screw you, my team can beat yours and you know it".

She loves Charlie.
She loves Dow.

She loves Carlton.

My girls are now rusted on Wojee and its wonderful, they even read the forum (without posting - they do laugh at you all though).

Good on your youngun for sticking with us!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 4:53 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

dannyboy wrote:
My son was 7 in 2000 , he smiled on sunday and said, "first time we've won 7 since 2000"- he remembers that year the way I remember the first time I read The Faraway Tree... no the way way I remember the 68 GF, standing there next to my Dad feeling bigger than life itself...then came the summer of that year...the disaster since...He texts me now after every game (it began when Voss was appointed but got a bit wobbly for a few rounds this year).

This weekend we are all going away to celebrate his 30th - when I let him know he said - but that means we'll miss the Melbourne game - he has waited many many years to be this excited...and I have felt guilty many many times that because of me he follows the bluebaggers...

Now we talk football and there is no despair in our voices...Only pride and hope.

Agro Jr also 7 in 2000 - your boy and my boy the same.

Agro Jr wore out the 1995 VHS video - he can recite Robbo’s commentary for the passage of play where Greg Williams outmarks Stephen Handley and kicks a goal in the last quarter.

Agro Jr sometimes curses me for the legacy of crap I’ve given him as a Carlton member this century.

We’re not swaggering yet.

It’s like the final scene in “The Sting” where Paul Newman asks Robert Redford if he it’s worth it - and Redford says “it’s not enough - but it’s close”.

The swagger is not quite there - but it’s close.

:lol:

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 5:34 pm 
Ken Hunter

AGRO wrote:
dannyboy wrote:

Agro Jr also 7 in 2000 - your boy and my boy the same.

Agro Jr wore out the 1995 VHS video - he can recite Robbo’s commentary for the passage of play where Greg Williams outmarks Stephen Handley and kicks a goal in the last quarter.

Agro Jr sometimes curses me for the legacy of crap I’ve given him as a Carlton member this century.

:grin:

We’re not swaggering yet.

It’s like the final scene in “The Sting” where Paul Newman asks Robert Redford if he it’s worth it - and Redford says “it’s not enough - but it’s close”.

The swagger is not quite there - but it’s close.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 5:48 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

GMCbris wrote:
Wojee wrote:

She loves Charlie.
She loves Dow.

She loves Carlton.

My girls are now rusted on Wojee and its wonderful, they even read the forum (without posting - they do laugh at you all though).

Good on your youngun for sticking with us!

IOve got kids, 2 boys, and I love hearing about all our kids and their journey. We have all experienced similar issues.
My boys know, there is no other team to barrack for, yet a lot of ex pats in Sydney let their kids barrack for Sydney. I dont mind the ones whose dad barracks for Effendopes, but I find that appalling. Its good to be different and loyal.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:52 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

My eldest is 16 next week, is exfreneky passionate but she wears the hurt as much as the joy.

My son is nearly 13, he's the opposite, won't show emotion or open himself up to the hurt. He took his jumper off during the Essendon* game.
On Sunday it was just him and me. Jumping up and hugging each other and high fiving strangers. We've nearly got him, don't let us down blues.
My other daughter is 7,this year she can wear her colours on footy day without being embarrassed.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:36 pm 
Ken Hunter

My eldest (7) has sports colours day coming up soon, I'd best get shopping! Neither he nor his younger brother (4) give a Ratts... 7 says "why are you watching this?" then repeats "whyyyy" half a dozen times, and 4 asks me to put on The Wiggles, but I will get them, oh yes, if it's the last thing I do!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:46 pm 
Bruce Doull

It was a very very hard sell for me over the shit years, but my advice to any parent is bribe them with sugar. Sit down & watch a game & the one rule is every time we get a goal, they get chocolate.

That'll make 'em barrack

Sent from my Nokia G21 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:49 pm 
Ken Hands

GreatEx wrote:
My eldest (7) has sports colours day coming up soon, I'd best get shopping! Neither he nor his younger brother (4) give a Ratts... 7 says "why are you watching this?" then repeats "whyyyy" half a dozen times, and 4 asks me to put on The Wiggles, but I will get them, oh yes, if it's the last thing I do!
I'm not too far behind you. I've got a 2 year old and an 8 month old.

I've already got the 2 year old saying "go blues" when I'm watching them on TV. And I point out Charlie to her every time he's lining up for goal, and she says "go Charlie"!

And whenever I put my guernsey on, she harasses her mum to wear hers too.

If only I could get her to watch the bloody game!

All my son cares about is boob at the moment, so I'll have to wait a little longer to start working on him.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:49 pm 
Ken Hands

CK95 wrote:
It was a very very hard sell for me over the shit years, but my advice to any parent is bribe them with sugar. Sit down & watch a game & the one rule is every time we get a goal, they get chocolate.

That'll make 'em barrack

You, sir, are a genius.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 2:31 pm 
Bruce Doull

Haha, give it a try bambam.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 8:32 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

CK95 wrote:

That'll make 'em barrack

There was that game at Whitten Oval many years ago - which would have only cost you one chocolate

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 8:51 pm 
Bruce Doull

Reminds me of the Fremantle game at Marvel that I took my oldest to a few years ago. No chocolate for the entire first half, uuuugh

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 8:41 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Lid is off

The swagger I had since round 23 last year is alive and well, and stronger today than anytime since.

I really believe we will beat the Dees too.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:53 am 
Bruce Doull

bondiblue wrote:
I really believe we will beat the Dees too.

The more this week has gone on the more stupidly confident I've felt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:33 am 
John Nicholls

I'm not confident vs Melbourne.

20 years of emotional abuse and the resultant scarring is difficult to ignore.

We'd need to be 10 goals up with under 10 minutes to play before I can take a breath. If it's the granny, double the margin.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 12:07 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

AGRO wrote:
CK95 wrote:

That'll make 'em barrack

There was that game at Whitten Oval many years ago - which would have only cost you one chocolate

I reckon CK's kid would have been asking for a number 17 on his jumper after that one... :lol:

Mort Sahl