Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:36 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 11:54 am 
Rod Ashman

bondiblue wrote:
17th Premiership wrote:
And can we touch on Gresham for a sec… Why are we thinking of bringing him in? I’d much rather keep Dow or even Fisher in that form on the list.
Or even get someone else. I think Gresham is not good enough often enough. And our small forwards have more upside than him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Copy and past to List Management thread.

By the way I agree.

Gresham fans have a love of history.

If Dow and Fisher keep playing the way they did against St Kilda they may stay. The one good side to our injury list is that it has given some of the "fringe" players a chance to show what they can do. Surely that is a good thing and should enable Voss and Austin to really see what the players can do and who they want to keep. If they do get traded then clearly there are better opportunities elsewhere. For example, for all of everyones wish to keep Setterfield and even given his form this year before injury, he still would not have been in our best 22. So I hope both Dow and Fish excel in the final weeks because that only makes the team better.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 12:00 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Am I the only one who thinks Vossy's comment that he was going to sub Dow off till he kicked that goal was at best strange, at worse incredibly stupid?
Think it if you want but don't say it. Dow has been down on confidence for a couple of years now. Kicks the goal to put us in front and follows up with some really good minutes. Looks to be getting his confidence and the senior coach basically says lucky you kicked that otherwise you would've been subbed out and quite possibly dropped the following week.
Some players it may be water off a ducks back but when you're low on confidence, don't think its the sort of thing you want to hear from your coach.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 12:01 pm 
Bruce Doull

I thought it was a bit weird too, & doesn't do wonders for his trade value

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 12:16 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

I think Vossy was clear that it was a planned sub.
That Dow hasnt played a full game and wasnt sure he could hence planned the swap.

Increased Dows value by admitting he was wrong and Dow did run out the game and have a huge last quarter.

Dow had a really good 2nd and 3rd quarter, and suitors would have noticed that.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 12:18 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

I didn't hear the planned sub bit but if he did indicate that was the reason then fair enough.
Happy he is not set in his ways and able to change his mind as he did as Paddy was good after kicking that goal.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 12:53 pm 
Laurie Kerr

I watched the game on TV and when they were crossing to the bench before he was about to be subbed it was clear that Dow was the player that was going to be pulled. Why lie about it when it was clear to anyone with half a brain that Dow was about to be subbed.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 1:13 pm 
John James

Mickstar wrote:
Crusader wrote:
The muppets that booed Stocker can take a trip out to the far side of Kew and have a good look at themselves.

Bloke was on the pine for more than half the game.

Get a flower grip.

Couldn't agree more . Short memories some people . I will never forget that game a few years back up at the Goldie . We where getting flogged and Adam Saad was distressed to the point of being in tears . It was Stocker who reached out to Adam . Yeah Stocker , the boy from the Grammar School reaching out to the Muslem kid when he was at his lowest ebb . Thats one hell of a decent human being to me . Despite his critics i hold the bloke in the highest of esteem myself .

didn’t know that. gréât story. thanks for sharing it. booing players looking to make a mark in the game is dumb. it’s not like their just leaving for more $$.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 1:15 pm 
John James

jim wrote:
Wojee wrote:
tommi wrote:
Also….

how about Charlies kick from the wing to Owies
for a goal in the third…?

65 metre pass…mint…!

kindest regards tommi
Charlie is possibly the best forward entry kick in the team. The vision and then the ability to pull those kicks off is ridiculous.

According to "On the Couch" a few weeks ago, Charlie was no.2 for forward entry kicks in the competition.

he was number one or two for metres gained in our team for one of the games we played in the last seven.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 1:34 pm 
John James

rhino27 wrote:
Am I the only one who thinks Vossy's comment that he was going to sub Dow off till he kicked that goal was at best strange, at worse incredibly stupid?
Think it if you want but don't say it. Dow has been down on confidence for a couple of years now. Kicks the goal to put us in front and follows up with some really good minutes. Looks to be getting his confidence and the senior coach basically says lucky you kicked that otherwise you would've been subbed out and quite possibly dropped the following week.
Some players it may be water off a ducks back but when you're low on confidence, don't think its the sort of thing you want to hear from your coach.

if you’re a professional sports player and have been sub six weeks in a row or something like that and then get a run due to injuries, no other reason, and get subbed out in the fourth qtr it’s no big hit to the ego/confidence i’d suggest. Voss letting the world know Dow was the planned or at least intended sub at that point in time is not going to effect Dow at all, especially in the context of him kicking that “go-ahead” goal.

anyhow Cripps told the tv audience of Dow ‘the big fella [standing next to him] played a super game’ or words to that effect.

Rest easy, Dow’s not losing sleep over Voss’s comment. The two or three goals he cost us in the first half by turning the ball over and his 100% ineffective kicking might be unsettling him a little more. you’d hope it’s some thing he’s practicing day and night on improving.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 1:39 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Considering Carlton had lodged the paperwork to sub Dow off and the media was aware, and they had to cancel it, it was in public domain anyway

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 1:46 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

diesel95 wrote:
rhino27 wrote:

if you’re a professional sports player and have been sub six weeks in a row or something like that and then get a run due to injuries, no other reason, and get subbed out in the fourth qtr it’s no big hit to the ego/confidence i’d suggest. Voss letting the world know Dow was the planned or at least intended sub at that point in time is not going to effect Dow at all, especially in the context of him kicking that “go-ahead” goal.

anyhow Cripps told the tv audience of Dow ‘the big fella [standing next to him] played a super game’ or words to that effect.

Rest easy, Dow’s not losing sleep over Voss’s comment. The two or three goals he cost us in the first half by turning the ball over and his 100% ineffective kicking might be unsettling him a little more. you’d hope it’s some thing he’s practicing day and night on improving.

I'm not here to defend Dow. In fact, I've been just about his harshest critic for the past 3 or 4 years.
However, as I suggested in his player thread, his confidence has been rock bottom quite a while.
Having just watched the replay again (and granted it was only about 15 min worth), he was just about BOG from the time he kicked that goal onwards.
It was as if he was given that shot in the arm he needed (not the Essendon** type) and his confidence just skyrocketed.
Let's see what he produces with a bit of belief this week against a quality midfield.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 7:06 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

https://saintstv.com.au/article/match-r ... zzCzGsHChc

Quote:
Alright let’s keep this short, because that’s what St. Kilda did at the game on Sunday night. They kept it so short in fact, they forgot to turn up for the second half.

With our season on the line, a packed Marvel Stadium in the house, and a scintillating start, we absolutely crapped the bed and choked harder than Mark Williams’ tie on grand final day. We were scared of the contest, scared to attack, scared to hit a target, woeful in defence and offence, and totally clueless.

Carlton was missing these players: Walsh, Cerra, McGovern and McKay. We were missing: pretty much no one.

Sounds like they're taking it well.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 7:12 pm 
Craig Bradley

They sound like us 2 months ago... and maybe next week :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:37 pm 
Geoff Southby

Great game, great win.
In the context of it all, probably one of our best in a long long time.

First half had me thinking oh sh!t, we are in for a hiding.
But the coaches and players shown why we have won 7 on the trot, determination especially against all odds.
That's a finals winning mindset.
To all the Voss naysayers, politely go and eat one, we have a winner here.

I said this a few weeks ago, Newman is our most underrated player on the team.
He was BOG again and with Weitering they are tearing teams forward lines apart, that's how you win games.
I thought up forward Martin, Curnow and Owies were sensational, their defensive pressure and setting up team mates is elite.
Motlop is a gun, can't wait to see how good he gets.
Dow and Fisher, well FMD. I'd always hoped Dow would turn his game around but I never thought Fisher would.
Fisher was hitting targets by foot at an elite 76%, impressive and surely deserves another year if he decides to stay, great depth player when he plays like this.
Acres managed to keep the footy in the field of play which is an impressive feat in itself, I'd still like to see him play more of a midfield role.
Hollands goes hard, still needs to put on some serious kgs though and his kicking lets him down a lot (55%), but definitely has potential and good to see he got the nod this week
TDK kicked it up a notch after half time, my only gripe is I just wish he'd hang on to more marks.

Looking forward to this weeks game, I just wish we had more players available but on the other hand we are building a team resilience and winning mindset no matter what and the roles are clear and simple for the next man up, that's what you want.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:01 pm 
Wayne Johnston

jezzarules wrote:
Considering Carlton had lodged the paperwork to sub Dow off and the media was aware, and they had to cancel it, it was in public domain anyway

You have to lodge paperwork before you can activate a sub during the game?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:48 pm 
John James

rhino27 wrote:
diesel95 wrote:
rhino27 wrote:

I'm not here to defend Dow. In fact, I've been just about his harshest critic for the past 3 or 4 years.
However, as I suggested in his player thread, his confidence has been rock bottom quite a while.
Having just watched the replay again (and granted it was only about 15 min worth), he was just about BOG from the time he kicked that goal onwards.
It was as if he was given that shot in the arm he needed (not the Essendon*** type) and his confidence just skyrocketed.
Let's see what he produces with a bit of belief this week against a quality midfield.

Having just watched replay of 3rd and 4th myself I agree he lifted his effectiveness and intensity. He's always been an inside ball magnet at VFL and AFL level, it's his disposal and complete game that's been letting him down.

Confidence is a subtle and in some ways mysterious thing in sports as in life. Many have tried to analysis and dissect what makes for, adds and subtracts from confidence levels in sport, both for individuals and teams. Nobody has written the definitive science of confidence as yet (including Martin Selligman and other Positive psychology advocates, increasingly being debunked)). I've no reason to doubt you that Dow has been playing without confidence for a season or more, but that's his cross to bare and it's not the job of coaches to pussy foot around it. Seems like he's been given lots of support and encouragement and Cripps took him to the on field camera after the game for the lime light so I don't think there's any intention at CFC to rub Dows face in it. I watched the second half replay just now and Jones or one of the commentators was saying you could see Dow's confidence and ability developing by the minute in the last quarter. It can seem like that, but the real work is in coming up from the depths of despondency if that's where he was (I have know idea what his mood has been like), surfacing the submarine in the sunshine is just the last 1% of the job.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:53 pm 
John James

sinbagger wrote:
jezzarules wrote:

You have to lodge paperwork before you can activate a sub during the game?

Gil Mac had to justify earning the ridiculous money somehow didn't he?!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:58 pm 
John James

Sidefx wrote:
Great game, great win.
In the context of it all, probably one of our best in a long long time.

First half had me thinking oh sh!t, we are in for a hiding.
But the coaches and players shown why we have won 7 on the trot, determination especially against all odds.
That's a finals winning mindset.
To all the Voss naysayers, politely go and eat one, we have a winner here.

I said this a few weeks ago, Newman is our most underrated player on the team.
He was BOG again and with Weitering they are tearing teams forward lines apart, that's how you win games.
I thought up forward Martin, Curnow and Owies were sensational, their defensive pressure and setting up team mates is elite.
Motlop is a gun, can't wait to see how good he gets.
Dow and Fisher, well FMD. I'd always hoped Dow would turn his game around but I never thought Fisher would.
Fisher was hitting targets by foot at an elite 76%, impressive and surely deserves another year if he decides to stay, great depth player when he plays like this.
Acres managed to keep the footy in the field of play which is an impressive feat in itself, I'd still like to see him play more of a midfield role.
Hollands goes hard, still needs to put on some serious kgs though and his kicking lets him down a lot (55%), but definitely has potential and good to see he got the nod this week
TDK kicked it up a notch after half time, my only gripe is I just wish he'd hang on to more marks.

Looking forward to this weeks game, I just wish we had more players available but on the other hand we are building a team resilience and winning mindset no matter what and the roles are clear and simple for the next man up, that's what you want.

agree with all that. On TDK, his 2nd half was prob one of the best half of footy I've seen TDK play, without being a super star just gave his everything and then some. Seemed to be a really tough day for marking the ball, Saints pressure was finals like. Charlie and Jack Martin both failed to mark balls you'd expect them to gobble up most other games. That bullucking run ending in a fresh air kick up the wing and marked by Charlie was impressive, as was his goal.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:52 am 
Rod Ashman

G'day TC posters.
I just want to say a big heart-felt 'Thank you!' to everyone on TC. :thanks:
During the bleak times this year, being part of the TC Community has helped me a lot.
We had all felt the frustration and disappointment as our team's losses were mounting :banghead: .
The humour, optimism and goodwill of TC has helped me in dealing with these losses.
After the Saints game on Sunday, heading to Southern Cross with the Carlton supporters, singing 'We are the Navy Blues' was an incredible feeling. A feeling of genuine optimism.
Hopefully our Team can go deep into September and #17 is not far away.
Cheers everyone!
Go Blues!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:10 am 
Geoff Southby

CFC8795 wrote:
G'day TC posters.
I just want to say a big heart-felt 'Thank you!' to everyone on TC. :thanks:
During the bleak times this year, being part of the TC Community has helped me a lot.
We had all felt the frustration and disappointment as our team's losses were mounting :banghead: .
The humour, optimism and goodwill of TC has helped me in dealing with these losses.
After the Saints game on Sunday, heading to Southern Cross with the Carlton supporters, singing 'We are the Navy Blues' was an incredible feeling. A feeling of genuine optimism.
Hopefully our Team can go deep into September and #17 is not far away.
Cheers everyone!
Go Blues!

Yeah , great place to be TC .

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next