Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:41 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 5:51 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

CK95 wrote:
5 in a row by 50+

When was the last team to do that?

Sent from my Nokia G21 using Tapatalk

Geelong 2008 was mentioned during commentary during game.

12-1-2016 - CAS goes bang, happy new year.. Drugcheats forever..

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 5:53 pm 
Ken Hunter

We lost a fair bit of run after half time with Walsh out. That was very evident.
We will need him and Cerra next week. I do not want to see Hewett and Ed in the middle, especially with Cripps back.
Docherty on the wing is the other positive, as he gives us great run, leadership and carry with Cerra and Walsh.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 5:55 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

FANTASTIC WIN

Yeah we coulda won by more if this and that, but we won by 71 points and Charlie kicked 10, and we had 11 goal kickers, with no bench and sub on in first quarter.

Charlie finally kicked the 10 we thought he would.

I loved Cincotta's game, and TDK's, and for 4 quarters Hewett stuck it up his many detractors. Hewett my BOG. Docherty next best or equal best. Weiters Saad Cincotta held our backline with help from Docherty. I also though Newman was poor tonight. He did a few good things but his foot passing at times...FMD.

SOS with a jarred knee, may be OK, Walsh's hammy, was it precautionary coming off?, Motlops calf, soured the win. Cincotta was lucky to be declared free of concussion, thank god.

Not only did we win with our midfield out injured (Cripps Cerra Kennedy), but also our Coleman medallist McKay and star HF Martin, we won with no bench.

Amazing pressure we put on in the first. Like early last year, we seem to blitz the opposition with one super quarter, every week for 5 in a row. I think this is who we are these days.

Our kids got some minutes, and that was good for their development against Weagles, but I was really disappointed in the inconsistent Gov. Many of his fans recall that one great pass in the corridor, 2 months ago, but he hasnt done that for a long long time, and he just fluffs too many kicks for my liking. He's not in my best 22.

Kemp has to also simplify his game, because he has these brain fades and takes on miracle passes like he thinks he's Bobby Skilton. Bobby had mastered the 30m stab pass. Kemp should stick to his strengths.

Cowan was way out of his league.

Pies next. Bring em on.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 5:55 pm 
Harry Vallence

AFL.com
Saying Dow injured too?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 5:58 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

SurreyBlue wrote:
We lost a fair bit of run after half time with Walsh out. That was very evident.
We will need him and Cerra next week. I do not want to see Hewett and Ed in the middle, especially with Cripps back.
Docherty on the wing is the other positive, as he gives us great run, leadership and carry with Cerra and Walsh.

Tell me what problem do you have with Hewett. Is it perception or reality? Tell me. I understand the argument about having only one of Kennedy and Hewett, but Kennedy wont be back for a long time.

Hewett was one of our best for 4 quarters if not our best. He shouldn't even be compared with Ed imo. Anyone else think Hewett was a problem today, or last week? I'm curious.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 6:13 pm 
Geoff Southby

bondiblue wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:

Tell me what problem do you have with Hewett. Is it perception or reality? Tell me. I understand the argument about having only one of Kennedy and Hewett, but Kennedy wont be back for a long time.

Hewett was one of our best for 4 quarters if not our best. He shouldn't even be compared with Ed imo. Anyone else think Hewett was a problem today, or last week? I'm curious.

George is coming off a severe back injury . Virtually no pre season . Same as Walsh . Like Walsh he is slowly and surely getting better . Great game today i thought . Very Cripps like .

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 6:15 pm 
Craig Bradley

bosman wrote:
CK95 wrote:
5 in a row by 50+

Geelong 2008 was mentioned during commentary during game.
3rd team know history to win by by 50+ points 5 weeks in a row. Only Geelong's 1989 and 2008 had done it previously.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 6:17 pm 
Craig Bradley

CK95 wrote:
5 in a row by 50+

Geelong was the only side ever to do that until today.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 6:18 pm 
Craig Bradley

bondiblue wrote:
FANTASTIC WIN

Yeah we coulda won by more if this and that, but we won by 71 points and Charlie kicked 10, and we had 11 goal kickers, with no bench and sub on in first quarter.

I loved Cincotta's game, and TDK's, and for 4 quarters Hewett stuck it up his many detractors. Hewett my BOG. Docherty next best or equal best. Weiters Saad Cincotta held our backline with help from Docherty. I also though Newman was poor tonight. He did a few good things but his foot passing at times...FMD.

SOS with a jarred knee, may be OK, Walsh's hammy, was it precautionary coming off?, Motlops calf, soured the win. Cincotta was lucky to be declared free of concussion, thank god.

Not only did we win with our midfield out injured (Cripps Cerra Kennedy), but also our Coleman medallist McKay and star HF Martin, we won with no bench.

Amazing pressure we put on in the first. Like early last year, we seem to blitz the opposition with one super quarter, every week for 5 in a row. I think this is who we are these days.

Our kids got some minutes, and that was good for their development against Weagles, but I was really disappointed in the inconsistent Gov. Many of his fans recall that one great pass in the corridor, 2 months ago, but he hasnt done that for a long long time, and he just fluffs too many kicks for my liking. He's not in my best 22.

Kemp has to also simplify his game, because he has these brain fades and takes on miracle passes like he thinks he's Bobby Skilton. Bobby had mastered the 30m stab pass. Kemp should stick to his strengths.

Pies next. Bring em on.

Mate how the fug is Charlie not BOG. Do a lap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 6:35 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Walsh wasn't precautionary imo he is done for 3-4 weeks. he really grabbed it up high when he pulled up, and was limping down the race after the game once he'd cooled down.

the high hammy strains are the ones that need some time.

hopefully sos is right, but i doubt it too. he looked pretty worried after the game when everyone was excited.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 6:54 pm 
Harry Vallence

Sad to say but with Walsh gone for 4 weeks, there goes our Season.... He is too hard to cover, especially with the other mids also running on one leg :(

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 6:59 pm 
Wayne Johnston

bondiblue wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:

I thought Hewitt played outside the system early and went long at the wrong time with dump kicks that were old Carlton in nature. To his credit he corrected through the second and then after that we didn't really play our new system due to no bench/run . He was a warrior in the messy way we played in the second half.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 7:19 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

jake_h03 wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
FANTASTIC WIN

Pies next. Bring em on.

Mate how the fug is Charlie not BOG. Do a lap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Oh shit

My Bad

Charlie was the obvious BOG. After him I looked at the feeders.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 7:21 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Bondi didn't you watch Gov last week?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 7:38 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

club29 wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:

I thought Hewitt played outside the system early and went long at the wrong time with dump kicks that were old Carlton in nature. To his credit he corrected through the second and then after that we didn't really play our new system due to no bench/run . He was a warrior in the messy way we played in the second half.

I just watched the first quarter again. I think you two need to have a look at it again too.

Hewett was in every forward thrust from the middle, connecting by hand, connecting with Walsh, and taking the ball forward. Obviously coaches instruction re "Gaining Territory" and "Giving the big boys plenty of looks". You know Hewett played midfield. You know so did Walsh. You know we kicked 9 goals in the first. You know where those goals came from? The midfield group. Hewett and Walsh dominated. Hewett 81% Def. No idea what you're talking about. In fact, the game plan imo is to win it and link by hand, get it forward to unload into our territory and what we dont mark, our little fellas will keep it in, or score. That's what happened. Eveyone had a go at Bombing it long, like so called "old Carlton", even Walsh and Doch. Is there anyone who didnt? But Hewett had 9 disposals and 7 of them were handballs. 2 of them kicks gaining 85 metres. You know we scored with one of his entries by foot.

We lost 3 games before this run of 5 because of bad kicking, we have improved our run and carry...Hewett had 17 handballs.

Just read in BF this from Surrey Blue

Quote:
Gives us no run and pressure also seems to be off. I might be harsh but really disappointed with some of his efforts today.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/2023-rd-19-5-wins-in-a-row-over-50-but-injuries-hit-hard.1366891/page-5

Honestly, shocks me to read this. Yes its damning, let alone harsh.
I was with a bunch of people suggesting if Dow had this Swans defensive development, that Hewett has bought to the club instead of no development at Carlton, he'd be a much better footballer. Kelly was being minded by Dow, and Kelly played games with Dow, such is his weakness defending, Vossy put Ed onto Kelly.

I look forward to finding out how many 1%ers Hewett had too. Hewett bought his team mates into the game. He and Walsh. Formidable pair. Then when Walsh went off injured, Hewett continued with 7, 8 and 9 possessions in the next 3 quarters.

We watched a different game club. Surrey doesn't like Hewett, maybe that bias applies to you too. Maybe?

I really don't get the Hewett bashing. Vossy's game plan was difficult for the team to grasp and it was too stop and start.This wasnt the players doing alone. Vossy changed things after discussions with the leadership group. It shows. Players are playing better, with freedom and more handball and running in twos and threes. Hewett doesn't stop. Plays a great defensive midfield role, even when we win.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 7:39 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

kingkerna wrote:
Bondi didn't you watch Gov last week?

What do you think?

I quoted you in a post match thread.

What's your point?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 7:47 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

From a tweet

Hewett:
game high 31 touches, 13 contested
game high 10 clearances
3 centre clearances
10 score involvements
6 inside 50s
460 metres gained
1 goal
2 intercepts
2 tackles
22 pressure acts

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 7:51 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

From a tweet

Walsh in 43 minutes:
9 score involvements (Equal 3rd most)
3 goal assists (equal 1st)
4 inside 50s (equal 5th)
4 clearances (5th)
2 centre clearances (equal 3rd)
14 touches @ 100%
6 contested
1 goal
3 tackles (equal 5th)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 7:53 pm 
Ken Hunter

club29 wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:

Exactly. Some of his efforts where not good enough.
@Bondi - I don't have a personal issue with any of our players but I will call them out if I think they deserve it. I thought that was evident in my previous posts.

Just a few more points from today's game to help you understand me more.
Hewett - played the Cripps role - no argument, but we cannot go into a game with both on them on ball. We'll be exposed on the outside, especailly by the pies.
McGovern's turn overs are killing us. Needs to flowering fix them. Not good enough from someone so experienced.
Cottrell and Honey where average today. Very average. Cottrell was good the last couple of weeks, today not so. Some of the pressure without the ball from both of these players should be highlighted by the coaches this week.
Acres disposal is terrible under pressure. Saad similar, although he does try to add run but he needs to just settle a little more. Not all the time.
Not sure what has happened to Young as well. One of my favourites last year. :wink:
Walsh & Cerra are crucial to our midfield setup and that is why we have been dominating last month. Both out made the Eagles compete with us for a half.
I can keep going but I won't....all I will say;
I want perfection from our team, as I want to win a premiership, and if you are happy with not so, that's your prerogative,
I won't paper over players who won't do the team things and demand excellence. I won't put my head in the sand and call it a magical day until it is.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 8:04 pm 
Ken Hunter

Dodo27 wrote:
Sad to say but with Walsh gone for 4 weeks, there goes our Season.... He is too hard to cover, especially with the other mids also running on one leg :(

He is crucial to our current one paced midfield. He setup our win today in 1 and half quarters. It was the most amazing short term of football.
I hope it's not 4 weeks, else I tend to agree.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next