Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:34 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 6:16 pm 
Rod Ashman

it was kinda bizarre watching a carlton game where i didnt care if they won or lost, just watched for the spectacle (even if i did get up at 4am to do so), and it was quite fun without the anxiety this club causes me when i have watched them live on tv over the last few years

i'm glad they won, but i dont think it would have bothered me too much if they had lost, i just wanted to see them play, without bias, like i used to do with the bullants when i was in melbourne

we wont make the 8, there is a heap of work to do, but it really seemed like the mental pressure wasnt there after quarter time, it was like any demons they were battling left at quarter time and they played with freedom. still a lot of mistakes in the second half, and a lot of dumb football, but they didnt drop their heads

i've been very critical of voss, but he go the best out of them yesterday

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 7:04 pm 
Craig Bradley

Cottrell offered a week.

Looking at the incident, I doubt we’d tarnish Townshend KC’s record with a challenge.

Get ready for some extra corny bin memes.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 7:32 pm 
Ken Hunter

Crusader wrote:
Cottrell offered a week.

Looking at the incident, I doubt we’d tarnish Townshend KC’s record with a challenge.

Get ready for some extra corny bin memes.

I just saw it too.
I think we would be wasting our time challenging it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:22 pm 
Harry Vallence

Sydney Blue wrote:
Didn't watch game live I was getting updates on app
Managed to watch replay in rain delay of cricket - Seriously didn't know if I should laugh or cry .
It is just typical of this team when the expectations are lowered and there is nothing on the line they play unbelievable football.
Admittedly the opposition wasn't great .

but don't allow yourself to get sucked in - we may get on a roll and win a few games but the moment it looks like we might be a chance to get in a position to challenge for the 8 they will bottle it .

Probably the most balanced side we have fielded all year - lets hope Martin and Cunners can get a clear run at it

Cripps positioning at centre bounces was a lot better

All it was , was a mentally weak side v another mentally weak side … and this time we got the chocolates!!

Let’s see were we are in a months time , and after we play port

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:09 pm 
John James

Paddycripps wrote:
At the risk of being negative I thought Walsh's last 5 mins was poor. He seemed hellbent on kicking a goal for himself.

I notice Jimmy Bartel said something a few weeks back about how good teams play unselfish football and how Carlton aren't there yet.

Well Walsh as good as his game was could have probably set up 2 goals instead of trying to kick a goal for himself.

He should take a leaf out of Charlie's book. He's in the running for the Coleman again and had a set shot from 20m out but handballed to a teammate who was alone running towards goal. Unselfish.

Yes, negative. Walsh has often looked for teammates in the past when he should've had a crack at the posts - not a selfish footballer. I had a good view from behind the goals at that end and the shots were there to be had under pressure. His execution let him down and he knew it after the last attempt. How many times have we over-used the footy in our forward line in recent times? Good on him for getting a little selfish - the dish-off options didn't look as clear to him as they might have been to us in the better seats.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 10:37 pm 
Wayne Johnston

club29 wrote:
Teddy Hopkins wrote:
Dow full game after the bye if the mc are being honest.

Who do you take out of the 22?

Fog

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 12:04 am 
Stephen Kernahan

sinbagger wrote:
club29 wrote:
Teddy Hopkins wrote:

Fog
Cotterell...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 9:42 am 
Wayne Johnston

bluehammer wrote:
sinbagger wrote:
club29 wrote:
Teddy Hopkins wrote:

Fog
Cotterell...

I’m pretty sure Cotterell played exclusively as a HFF so I’m not sure that’s the best place to out Dow for team balance, we’d likely be better off with someone else like Binns or Honey replacing Cotterell. Fog was being rotated on ball which is why I suggested him.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 2:18 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Fenwick Snap wrote:
Paddycripps wrote:
At the risk of being negative I thought Walsh's last 5 mins was poor. He seemed hellbent on kicking a goal for himself.

I notice Jimmy Bartel said something a few weeks back about how good teams play unselfish football and how Carlton aren't there yet.

Well Walsh as good as his game was could have probably set up 2 goals instead of trying to kick a goal for himself.

He should take a leaf out of Charlie's book. He's in the running for the Coleman again and had a set shot from 20m out but handballed to a teammate who was alone running towards goal. Unselfish.

Yes, negative. Walsh has often looked for teammates in the past when he should've had a crack at the posts - not a selfish footballer. I had a good view from behind the goals at that end and the shots were there to be had under pressure. His execution let him down and he knew it after the last attempt. How many times have we over-used the footy in our forward line in recent times? Good on him for getting a little selfish - the dish-off options didn't look as clear to him as they might have been to us in the better seats.

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 12:21 pm 
Geoff Southby

Interesting game that one.
I had to also watch the replay as I decided to go to a birthday party with instead.

So as not to get to excited, GCS were still on holiday I reckon.
They looked pretty limp and I'd be expecting a different outfit when we play them on the Gold Coast in Rd 23.

At the end of the first quarter like many I thought here we go again.
Acres had 6 disposals, 2 handballs straight to opposition players, lucky no goals were kicked.
Pitto couldn't touch the ball and we were getting touched up in every stat.
Our mids were MIA and our ball movement was as stagnant as ever, we were lucky they couldn't kick straight.
It was a very painful first quarter.
Then like a switch had been flicked, boom.
Amazing how the game changes when we kick straight at goals and stick tackles.
It was a very even contribution in the end and a great result.

I thought:
Having Fogarty, Cunningham and Dow at the CBA's made for good variety and harder match ups for the Suns in the middle.
Cerra is a gun, interesting to see he only kicked the ball at 57% efficiency though, it didn't look that bad.
Cripps and the midfield hitting the scoreboard wast the highlight for me, it is what we have been missing for weeks.
Good to see Walsh getting some form also, bad luck for him he couldn't convert.
Cottrell hitting the scoreboard and his attacking set up was good to see even though some of his kicking let us down at times.
Acres tackling pressure, defensive play and 1%ers helped massively with turnovers, and great for us he didn't get as many possessions as normal.
Weitering was having a blinder, good to see him get some form back.
Saad, Doc, Boyd, Cincotta and Newman all did great work coming out of defence.
They provided plenty of run and connection to the HFs.
It was good to see Martin creating in the F50, something we have been missing.
And I thought the forward line played well in both creating opportunity for the mids to kick goals and spreading their defence.
Harry kicked some good goals too.
The only thing is I remember in the 4th (I think) when he marked the ball well outside the F50 he stopped and ignored two leads by mids to move the ball on fast inside the F50.
I hope if the new style of play is more of what we seen last season, everyone buys in all the time and this rarely happens.

Not getting too excited as I thought we should of won this game also (probably not so convincingly), but I hope we don't come back from break like they did against the Hawks which should be a shoe in.
In reality we still made a lot of errors that could've been punished by a better team.
But I hope we built up some confidence in this game and will also do against the Hawks before we test ourselves against a tougher opponent.
Either way, it's good to get a win.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 1:25 pm 
Bruce Doull

Agree, GC were pretty terrible.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 4:08 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Sidefx wrote:
Interesting game that one.
I had to also watch the replay as I decided to go to a birthday party with instead.

So as not to get to excited, GCS were still on holiday I reckon.
They looked pretty limp and I'd be expecting a different outfit when we play them on the Gold Coast in Rd 23.

At the end of the first quarter like many I thought here we go again.
Acres had 6 disposals, 2 handballs straight to opposition players, lucky no goals were kicked.
Pitto couldn't touch the ball and we were getting touched up in every stat.
Our mids were MIA and our ball movement was as stagnant as ever, we were lucky they couldn't kick straight.
It was a very painful first quarter.
Then like a switch had been flicked, boom.
Amazing how the game changes when we kick straight at goals and stick tackles.
It was a very even contribution in the end and a great result.

I thought:
Having Fogarty, Cunningham and Dow at the CBA's made for good variety and harder match ups for the Suns in the middle.
Cerra is a gun, interesting to see he only kicked the ball at 57% efficiency though, it didn't look that bad.
Cripps and the midfield hitting the scoreboard wast the highlight for me, it is what we have been missing for weeks.
Good to see Walsh getting some form also, bad luck for him he couldn't convert.
Cottrell hitting the scoreboard and his attacking set up was good to see even though some of his kicking let us down at times.
Acres tackling pressure, defensive play and 1%ers helped massively with turnovers, and great for us he didn't get as many possessions as normal.
Weitering was having a blinder, good to see him get some form back.
Saad, Doc, Boyd, Cincotta and Newman all did great work coming out of defence.
They provided plenty of run and connection to the HFs.
It was good to see Martin creating in the F50, something we have been missing.
And I thought the forward line played well in both creating opportunity for the mids to kick goals and spreading their defence.
Harry kicked some good goals too.
The only thing is I remember in the 4th (I think) when he marked the ball well outside the F50 he stopped and ignored two leads by mids to move the ball on fast inside the F50.
I hope if the new style of play is more of what we seen last season, everyone buys in all the time and this rarely happens.

Not getting too excited as I thought we should of won this game also (probably not so convincingly), but I hope we don't come back from break like they did against the Hawks which should be a shoe in.
In reality we still made a lot of errors that could've been punished by a better team.
But I hope we built up some confidence in this game and will also do against the Hawks before we test ourselves against a tougher opponent.
Either way, it's good to get a win.

No love for Kemp.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 4:10 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

CK95 wrote:
Agree, GC were pretty terrible.

They came to play and came out of the blocks hard.
They won the first, so they did come to play.

Then something went our way, and they were shell shocked.
They did play well in the 3rd and 4th, but we were a different team on the day.

I'd give us a bit more credit for the win, without getting ahead of myself.
We played very similarly in the first 10 weeks last year.

One Premiership quarter, and good defense when GCS needed to score.
We defended really well when they came at us.