Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:38 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Re: Its all about 2024
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 3:27 pm 
Craig Bradley

Yes lets see when Walsh has a full preseason he has had none in the last2 years

Im as frustrated as the next supporter with performances lately and arent happy with underperformance by 9/10 of playing group stodgy game plan and never having a full squad to select from but I do think we can bounce back next year with some remedial action

Lots of things to fix but if we could even fix our goal kicking and nothimg else we would be close or inside the 8 33 goals 65 plus another 20 oof over the last 5 weeks shows how this has been really costly

We have lost between 17-34 points over the last7 weeks kicking like that for goal when we have been ordinary 4 players better than last year Cerra and Charlie and Kemp Newman everyone else worse andCripps walsh H weitering saad(to a lesser extent) significantly underperforming

Food fir thought I teckon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:27 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

at some point if we want success we gotta be ruthless. cut players, coaches and staff and move on.

there's an academic study in the states with young college basketball players who had microdisectomy surgery (all around walsh's age).

of the 22 in the program who had the surgery, 4 never played again. of the 18 remaining 15 never met the same physical biometrics as they did before the surgery. and the other 3 returned to "full health" but their biometrics never exceeded what they were - ie they hit their ceiling at surgery and never hit their physical peak .

the numbers with that suggest the reality walsh may never be the same player ever again. there's a small chance he might return to what he was. and there's not much chance he'll exceed that, or hit his physical peak (around 27-28 in male athletes)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:30 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

london blue wrote:

Time isn’t on the clubs side? I acknowledge our poor record over the last 20 years and the frustration that comes from that. Time is more on the clubs side than mine…..it’ll outlast me

taking lots for granted here. I'm sure the old rusted on fitzroy supporters thought their club would outlive them too.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 5:53 pm 
Ken Hands

FarmerBlue wrote:
I've been saying this for a while

Play Silvagni in defence
Honey as a HBF
Plowman as a win/HF
just to see if we can unearth a player

Binns Cowan need to play.
I'd play Mirkov as well
Cuningham Marchbank to see if they can stand up

My personal opinion is regardless of contract Curnow Fisher O'Brien Dow Marchbank Philp Honey Fogarty Plowman must go at years end
I'd also be happy to trade TDK McGovern & Cripps as we must address our issues around Picks and the Salary Cap
I like the idea of Plowman at HF. He has the ability to kick bullet passes inside 50. At this point our inside 50 entries can't get any worse, he's worth a shot.

Honey at HBF is an interesting one too. Give him a run with role, it might help him get more involved.

If the club is fair dinkum about Voss coaching the year out, encourage him to throw the magnets around.

Post subject: Its all about 2024
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 6:17 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

JSOS battles hard but a defender he ain't.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 6:26 pm 
Robert Walls

Braithy wrote:
at some point if we want success we gotta be ruthless. cut players, coaches and staff and move on.

there's an academic study in the states with young college basketball players who had microdisectomy surgery (all around walsh's age).

of the 22 in the program who had the surgery, 4 never played again. of the 18 remaining 15 never met the same physical biometrics as they did before the surgery. and the other 3 returned to "full health" but their biometrics never exceeded what they were - ie they hit their ceiling at surgery and never hit their physical peak .

the numbers with that suggest the reality walsh may never be the same player ever again. there's a small chance he might return to what he was. and there's not much chance he'll exceed that, or hit his physical peak (around 27-28 in male athletes)

I don’t think he has the same penetration as previous seasons. I grant him the concession of back surgery and take a look at his stats 2023 season average versus career average - all on par. Now stats can be misleading. However, he seems to be fairing better than the outlook you’re painting.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 6:28 pm 
Robert Walls

Braithy wrote:
london blue wrote:

Time isn’t on the clubs side? I acknowledge our poor record over the last 20 years and the frustration that comes from that. Time is more on the clubs side than mine…..it’ll outlast me

taking lots for granted here. I'm sure the old rusted on fitzroy supporters thought their club would outlive them too.

That’s a good reference Braithy. Ok then, I’d be delighted to follow the Northern Territory Blues if it meant a 3 peat!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 6:46 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

london blue wrote:
Braithy wrote:
london blue wrote:

That’s a good reference Braithy. Ok then, I’d be delighted to follow the Northern Territory Blues if it meant a 3 peat!

:lol: your a pisser london

I think my young boys could handle giving up Princes Park for a 3 peat.
We would still follow the Bluebaggers.
Blueseum can expand and take up Princes Park, and make money from it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:20 pm 
Ken Hunter

I just can’t keep waiting for next year. It’s become a yearly process for us and all it does is destroy our mental health. I refuse to put myself or family members through this again ..... sorry Frank.

Nothing of late has giving me hope that this will change, so unfortunately, it will still be the same, and the cycle will continue.

We all know how this will go.
By preseason, will have these top draft picks ready to impact and will make a huge difference, we might even have a big trade, who will change our environment, will definitely have the best preseason yet and we’ll be flying with a tweaked game plan, new coach or leadership team.
That’s Carlton in the AFL = the VFL Saints.

I will look from afar, and try to keep myself sane, until such a time the whole club shows me they are serious about being a successful organisation.

Post subject: Its all about 2024
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:30 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Should try following West Ham as well...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:46 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

london blue wrote:
Braithy wrote:

I don’t think he has the same penetration as previous seasons. I grant him the concession of back surgery and take a look at his stats 2023 season average versus career average - all on par. Now stats can be misleading. However, he seems to be fairing better than the outlook you’re painting.

stats aside. are you watching the game?

he's lost a step, maybe two. doesn't have that burst in traffic like he used (and like he expects - he's been pinged more for holding the ball than any mid in the comp) and his kicking, at times he's trying to stab those 40m bullets to players chests, and it's falling 15m short.

i've been doing nothing but watching him at games - my partner had microdisectomy and she hasn't been able to do low impact things like surfing how she used to since the op. so i've been super keen to see how walsh fares.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:50 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

london blue wrote:
Braithy wrote:
london blue wrote:

It'd be interesting to see how everyone feels among the 88k members.

I wouldn't follow them. at all. I'd either try and follow the cats, or more than likely i'd give up afl all together and just watch NBA.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:25 am 
Geoff Southby

Braithy wrote:
london blue wrote:
Braithy wrote:
london blue wrote:

I wouldn't follow them. at all. I'd either try and follow the cats, or more than likely i'd give up afl all together and just watch NBA.

Mate , our club is not gonna fold . It is not a new Fitzroy . Sure , it resembles it at the moment . But there is no way in the world we will fold or be relocated . So as unbearable as everything is at the moment i reckon we need to all dig in ................. nothing surer if we continue the way we are there will be an almighty eruption at the end of the season . And if there is we will survive that also . We have had twenty five years of 5h1t and we are still here . Our footy club is indestructible . Same our supporters . We are strong and resilient . We don't rollover .

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:45 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Mickstar wrote:
Braithy wrote:
london blue wrote:
Braithy wrote:
london blue wrote:

Mate , our club is not gonna fold . It is not a new Fitzroy . Sure , it resembles it at the moment . But there is no way in the world we will fold or be relocated . So as unbearable as everything is at the moment i reckon we need to all dig in ................. nothing surer if we continue the way we are there will be an almighty eruption at the end of the season . And if there is we will survive that also . We have had twenty five years of 5h1t and we are still here . Our footy club is indestructible . Same our supporters . We are strong and resilient . We don't rollover .

lol, hopefully not famous last words.

we are not indestructible imo - and these old rusted on attitudes (which ironically the board and people within the club maintain) is the exact reason why we are not strong and resilient on the footy field, and why we do in fact rollover; and have been since 1999.

there's never going to be the all out eruption at season's end the people are pining for (and we have ever since the Brittain days), while at the same time we have this false notion we're indestructible and 50-60-70-80+k people are still paying memberships for.

Modern carlton is about making money and being a business and relying on everyone to keep stumping up memberships and buying their 12 different marketing jerseys per year etc etc... not about winning footy.

that last bit is eventually going to cost them. what exactly it costs, we wait and see.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:19 am 
Craig Bradley

Agree it is a business interestingly calls are now being made to fixture carlton off broadway next year because of the stodgy boring football it plays Club will really be concerned about this as it goes straight to the brand and getting 4.40 Sunday fixture instead of Friday nights or thursday nights mean less crowds less commercial exposure and less spinsorship and potential for membership growth

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:54 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

grrofunger wrote:
Been saying it for 20 odd years

Sadistic

:hitcomputer:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 2:51 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Braithy wrote:

Wow thanks for @#$%&! up my week :evil:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 3:35 pm 
Robert Walls

Who knows if we’re infallible. I suspect a lot would have to happen for us to disappear.

I’m not keen on us becoming anything than we are. Although a 3 peat as the NT Blues would be serve as some sort of tonic. :razz:

My point is more about challenging the notion put forward that time isn’t on our side. Well, my view is the club is bigger than me. I suspect some might believe otherwise (some past players and supporters) .
Yet I love that we have a very passionate supporter base. God knows how we continue to survive and thrive given our last 25 years.

Things aren’t what we expected and some change is required. However, I believe our collective passion is best served to take the road less travelled for Carlton - patience and continued investment in a path. As our collective posts demonstrate - who really knows what is the root cause to our problem.

It takes more courage to stick to the plan than change it midstream. And as the old man used to say, best judge a man by how he acts when he’s down versus when he is up.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 9:56 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

london blue wrote:
Who knows if we’re infallible. I suspect a lot would have to happen for us to disappear.

I’m not keen on us becoming anything than we are. Although a 3 peat as the NT Blues would be serve as some sort of tonic. :razz:

My point is more about challenging the notion put forward that time isn’t on our side. Well, my view is the club is bigger than me. I suspect some might believe otherwise (some past players and supporters) .
Yet I love that we have a very passionate supporter base. God knows how we continue to survive and thrive given our last 25 years.

Things aren’t what we expected and some change is required. However, I believe our collective passion is best served to take the road less travelled for Carlton - patience and continued investment in a path. As our collective posts demonstrate - who really knows what is the root cause to our problem.

It takes more courage to stick to the plan than change it midstream. And as the old man used to say, best judge a man by how he acts when he’s down versus when he is up.

Your old man was a legend london. Great saying. The bloke knew a thing or two about life.

Like you said, if we survived the last 25 years and have 90K members then we are something special. So what if 30K drop off. We will still have more members and a bigger brand than Bulldogs or North, who were destined to die after Fitzroy many times each decade, but they survied, and to think Carlton wouldnt? There's a better case for continuing well after Ive gone than not.

I think we have 2 more trade periods/ preseasons, adjustments and our window for e three peat is still a possibility.

We needed to look hard for our flaws from 2022. Obvious injury was one reason for failure, but this year we are seeing the gaps more clearly, to find injury prone players are part of the problem, not the whole problem. It is easier to fix a problem when we know what it is. Players are on notice: 17 of them out of contract, with the most important ones locked away for this decade.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 9:02 am 
Bob Chitty

17th Premiership wrote:
So, I’m so frustrated and confused.
It is very hard to diagnose what our real problems are.
It is very annoying because I don’t think the top teams are all that great. I still think Collingwood is doing much better on the ladder than is warranted. Kind of the inverse of us and probably for the inverse reason.
They are winning more than they should and playing better than they are because they are choc full of confidence and have psyched other teams out.
We are losing more than we should because we are devoid of confidence and have psyched ourselves out of most games.

Many of us are way overreacting, and yet our performances warrant some kind of extreme response!

The calls to strip Cripps of the captaincy are rubbish, IMO. If anything, it reminds me of similar calls against Cotchin and the parallels are prominent: Brownlow medallist, trying to do it all on his own. I get that. But, if he can become more selfless like Cotchin did, he is the most inspirational leader on the team without doubt.
Cerra? He is having the best season and putting his head over the ball but if he was captain, we’d still be losing and most of us would be potting him for not being demonstrative. A lot of ‘grass is greener’ going on. Same with so many players in the VFL who magically become the solution despite not performing on the it stage on multiple occasions. I really hope Dow makes it, and I’d love to see Cunningham get back but these players incl Cottrell have never set the world alight.

And whilst we are definitely having a crap year, Melbourne took a long time to finally get it incl several false dawns and a bottom two finish before finally cracking the big time.

Brisbane is 2-3 years ahead of us and still hasn’t achieved much. Yes they’ve made finals but done nothing with it.

Port Adelaide is having a great year after most pundits were sacking the coach this time last year.

And I don’t think Hardwick is the answer. It is rare for a Premiership coach to have success at a subsequent club. Matthews and Malthouse are it since the 80s. It’s one thing to sack the coach, another thing to find the right replacement.

There is so much going on that is sick at the moment. I think we we’d the remainder of the year to really get in there and diagnose the problem with personnel, game plan, players.

And then make a plan to address this on and off the field. But it needs to be forensic, not blunt instrument.

FWIW, I think it is the coaching because I can’t believe so many players can play so badly so often. Whether it be the game plan, or mental it still rests with the coach. Maybe the senior coach or maybe the assistants. And/or the footy boss. But I’m not 100% sure. And it’s so frustrating because the opportunity is there with average teams at the top, IMO.

I just don’t want to throw the baby out with the bath water.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Your first two sentences and your last are what I connected with the most.
Thanks for the post.
With us, it seems to be lots of things, little and bigger, that coalesce and compound for us to be where we are.
Cook has seen it before and presumably has the wisdom to work through it.
We probably also need a footy manager type with similar experience and wisdom.
So close in some ways and yet so far.

As to the thread topic, I hope we are really smart about how we use the rest of this year.
Not sure how possible these are but I'd like to see:
Build confidence (by winning)
Give younger talent more exposure (eg Cowan)
Deprioritise those who aren't hard enough or deliver (eg Fisher)
Stick fat

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk