Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:47 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Re: Its all about 2024
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 4:42 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

frank dardew wrote:
Whilst I agree winning is better going forward
Both Collingwood and Hawthorn did the win no games thing and got Pendelbury and Thomas and Roughead and franklin was in the era of priority but did set thrm up for future success
We did it too... hardly surprising we managed to @#$%&! that up as well. Other clubs tanked and brought in generational players. We tanked and picked selfish, lazy or injury prone footballers, and the one we did have, we traded. (Yes, the trade netted C Judd). It doesn't matter what we do, we seem to cock it up.

I have no faith that tanking again would be any better this time... and really, I don't think we need to tank. We are shit enough to achieve it on merit

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 4:47 pm 
Craig Bradley

No dont want to tank but want everyone to get a go on the list
Binns classic example
Cowan
Keep playing cincotta and boyd and kemp

Usual suspects dont worry about people cslling for Marchbank to play is bewildering Kemp and cowan must be preferred

Post subject: Its all about 2024
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 5:12 pm 
formerly King Kenny

Agree Frankie. Marchbank won’t be here next year, Kemp plays every game now.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:32 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Picks mean nothing. Our entire setup is broken.

We'll get high picks, get a bit excited, and then watch as we start the process of carltonising them.

Accepting mediocrity. Celebrating winning the inside 50 count. Saying 'we don't accept where we are'.

And the cycle continues.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:41 pm 
Craig Bradley

I get it sort of but ehat about if you get a Joel Selwood the draft who had never day die attitude a ttue leader snd s bloody good footballer
I suspect you generally get those earlyish in the draft

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:23 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

True, there aren't a lot of Joel selwoods though.

Dow and O'brien were unanimous first rounders in their draft years, it's not like we went out on a limb to snag them like we did stocker.

These guys can all play. We just have such a poor development and club culture that is so ingrained that they can't succeed.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:42 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

lol ... everyone saying when we got walsh, he was the next selwood.

he's as meek as a mouse on the field, no voice at all. zero presence. the total opposite of selwood.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:02 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Braithy wrote:

he's as meek as a mouse on the field, no voice at all. zero presence. the total opposite of selwood.

It's not Walsh' fault people want to make unwarranted, foolish comparisons.
But to suggest Walsh is "as meek as a mouse on the field" is disrespectful nonsense. I've never seen him shirk a contest on the field. Because he's not overtly demonstrative doesn't mean he's meek. 17 other clubs would be lining up to have him in their best team.

I understand supporters are disappointed and emotional but let's not get carried away and eat our own.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:07 am 
Robert Walls

Blue Vain wrote:
Braithy wrote:

But to suggest Walsh is "as meek as a mouse on the field" is disrespectful nonsense. I've never seen him shirk a contest on the field. Because he's not overtly demonstrative doesn't mean he's meek. 17 other clubs would be lining up to have him in their best team.

I understand supporters are disappointed and emotional but let's not get carried away and eat our own.

Correct. Can’t question his effort. Try doing what he does post back surgery

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:14 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Blue Vain wrote:
Braithy wrote:

he's quiet, as in he has no voice on the field. the opposite of selwood, who you could hear barking and chirping all game long.

you're living on what he's done, not who he is. his disposal is a liability - he's never been good by foot; but this season, is among the worst in mids with his playing minutes in the afl.

recent poll, he wasn't even in the top 15 mids under the age of 24. that is reality of where he is. there's a half dozen guys in his draft class alone that have overtaken him...

microdisectomy is no joke and there's got to be a reality here that this might be it for him. a mid who busts his gut, but has lost foot speed (constantly getting caught with the ball) and can barely kick the ball 30m

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:23 am 
Rod Ashman

So, I’m so frustrated and confused.
It is very hard to diagnose what our real problems are.
It is very annoying because I don’t think the top teams are all that great. I still think Collingwood is doing much better on the ladder than is warranted. Kind of the inverse of us and probably for the inverse reason.
They are winning more than they should and playing better than they are because they are choc full of confidence and have psyched other teams out.
We are losing more than we should because we are devoid of confidence and have psyched ourselves out of most games.

Many of us are way overreacting, and yet our performances warrant some kind of extreme response!

The calls to strip Cripps of the captaincy are rubbish, IMO. If anything, it reminds me of similar calls against Cotchin and the parallels are prominent: Brownlow medallist, trying to do it all on his own. I get that. But, if he can become more selfless like Cotchin did, he is the most inspirational leader on the team without doubt.
Cerra? He is having the best season and putting his head over the ball but if he was captain, we’d still be losing and most of us would be potting him for not being demonstrative. A lot of ‘grass is greener’ going on. Same with so many players in the VFL who magically become the solution despite not performing on the it stage on multiple occasions. I really hope Dow makes it, and I’d love to see Cunningham get back but these players incl Cottrell have never set the world alight.

And whilst we are definitely having a crap year, Melbourne took a long time to finally get it incl several false dawns and a bottom two finish before finally cracking the big time.

Brisbane is 2-3 years ahead of us and still hasn’t achieved much. Yes they’ve made finals but done nothing with it.

Port Adelaide is having a great year after most pundits were sacking the coach this time last year.

And I don’t think Hardwick is the answer. It is rare for a Premiership coach to have success at a subsequent club. Matthews and Malthouse are it since the 80s. It’s one thing to sack the coach, another thing to find the right replacement.

There is so much going on that is sick at the moment. I think we we’d the remainder of the year to really get in there and diagnose the problem with personnel, game plan, players.

And then make a plan to address this on and off the field. But it needs to be forensic, not blunt instrument.

FWIW, I think it is the coaching because I can’t believe so many players can play so badly so often. Whether it be the game plan, or mental it still rests with the coach. Maybe the senior coach or maybe the assistants. And/or the footy boss. But I’m not 100% sure. And it’s so frustrating because the opportunity is there with average teams at the top, IMO.

I just don’t want to throw the baby out with the bath water.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:06 am 
Robert Walls

Braithy wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
Braithy wrote:

he's quiet, as in he has no voice on the field. the opposite of selwood, who you could hear barking and chirping all game long.

you're living on what he's done, not who he is. his disposal is a liability - he's never been good by foot; but this season, is among the worst in mids with his playing minutes in the afl.

recent poll, he wasn't even in the top 15 mids under the age of 24. that is reality of where he is. there's a half dozen guys in his draft class alone that have overtaken him...

microdisectomy is no joke and there's got to be a reality here that this might be it for him. a mid who busts his gut, but has lost foot speed (constantly getting caught with the ball) and can barely kick the ball 30m

Good mix of stories with a touch of fact (not in the top 15)

Time will tell and it’s on his side

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:26 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

london blue wrote:
Braithy wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
Braithy wrote:

maybe for sam it is. however, time isn't on the club's side. 20 years and counting.

if another club makes a phone call about walsh, i'd be listening this offseason. it's a 50/50 risk for both parties. they're hoping he bounces back to what he was, we're declaring he never will and are cashing in while there's still 70 cents in the dollar.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 11:42 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

FarmerBlue wrote:
I've been saying this for a while

Play Silvagni in defence
Honey as a HBF
Plowman as a win/HF
just to see if we can unearth a player

Binns Cowan need to play.
I'd play Mirkov as well
Cuningham Marchbank to see if they can stand up

Agree with all the above.
lets find out more about the kids before we write them off too early.

Not sure about Mirkov, but I guess you're saying there's only one way to find out.
He's out long term I hear?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 11:53 am 
Robert Walls

Braithy wrote:
london blue wrote:
Braithy wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
Braithy wrote:

maybe for sam it is. however, time isn't on the club's side. 20 years and counting.

if another club makes a phone call about walsh, i'd be listening this offseason. it's a 50/50 risk for both parties. they're hoping he bounces back to what he was, we're declaring he never will and are cashing in while there's still 70 cents in the dollar.

Time isn’t on the clubs side? I acknowledge our poor record over the last 20 years and the frustration that comes from that. Time is more on the clubs side than mine…..it’ll outlast me

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:24 pm 
Robert Walls

Add Jack Carroll to the list of kids to play - should be about over his hammy.

I like the cut of his jib.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 1:15 pm 
Craig Bradley

Bluebo good call on carroll I like him

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 1:23 pm 
Geoff Southby

bluebo baggers wrote:

Yes , good call Bluebo . I forgot him . I remember when he first came to the Club a lot of insiders where saying how good he was . When he is right get him in . I can see it with this bloke .

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 1:37 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Mickstar wrote:
bluebo baggers wrote:

Yes , good call Bluebo . I forgot him . I remember when he first came to the Club a lot of insiders where saying how good he was . When he is right get him in . I can see it with this bloke .

Isn't that the issue though?

Left wing moralists
In self serving denial
They shit me no end

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:29 pm 
Ken Hunter

Blue Vain wrote:
Braithy wrote:

+1