Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 2:14 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:24 am 
Ken Hunter

Apart from the five minute patch in the second quarter where he got a bit of the ball, did Martin do much else? Just seems to have so little impact.

Or, has his past form totally blinkered my view of him?

No… just checked. Eight disposals for our Martin and 30 for theirs.

I sure as hell would like to be getting his pay packet.

Probably wrong for me to pick on Martin as he’s not alone when it comes to having little impact, or for getting paid handsomely for having such little impact.

Not that what the players get paid is necessarily their fault.

Until each team plays each other the same number of times, the AFL, as a fair dinkum competition, cannot be taken seriously.

He (Mr Swann) said the honour and pride associated with the club's traditional navy blue jumper was priceless.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:49 am 
Harry Vallence

The spectacular downfall of this team commenced at the coal face. When your best two midfielders in Cripps and Walsh are so down on form, this is what happens. Our squad isn’t good enough to make up for that.

It shows that this rebuild has never properly laid the foundations for sustained success. I’ll say it again, when you are too reliant on your better players, other teams nullify them and you are going nowhere.

Recruiting injury prone players, awarding long term contracts to players on big salaries, overrating your list, continual changes of coaches are just a few examples of a club that is in perpetual decline.

Last night was another example where we have too many players that are not up to it. Cotterill, Motlop and Young were utter garbage and were so detrimental to winning that game. Add the poor form of Cripps, Walsh and Doherty and we are now a good chance of finishing in the bottom four.

Mind boggling.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:12 am 
Harry Vallence

Lewis Young's efforts tonight were as weak as I've seen in a Carlton jumper since the days of Cain Ackland.

No desire for the contest, a refusal to make physical contest or apply pressure. He's genuinely punching the footy away as first instinct to not so much as kill the contest or spoil to advantage, as it is avoiding having to make body contact. He looks scared and it's noticeable.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:17 am 
Geoff Southby

I dont mind lewis young but wasn't a great game from him. Tough match up for him but didn't seem to have any idea how to play him.

I recall Stephen kernahan after a bad loss saying it was a pathetic effort. Probably need a few honest assessments rather than we believe and need to stick to the system or whatever rot are the buzz words these days.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:26 am 
Harry Vallence

Rod Spooky Galt wrote:
Lewis Young's efforts tonight were as weak as I've seen in a Carlton jumper since the days of Cain Ackland.

No desire for the contest, a refusal to make physical contest or apply pressure. He's genuinely punching the footy away as first instinct to not so much as kill the contest or spoil to advantage, as it is avoiding having to make body contact. He looks scared and it's noticeable.

That effort in the final quarter when he got pinged for holding the ball was one of the most meek efforts I have seen in a while. It was an embarrassment. He should be dropped on that effort alone.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:28 am 
John Nicholls

Effes wrote:
I admire anyone that goes to watch this mob live.

I've been a member for over 20 years but haven't been to watch Carlton live since pre covid. That's why you have to put up with my rubbish in the match day thread.

They are just abysmal to watch.

Yep.

At half time I told the Mrs we're gonna get rolled in the third. So we backed that in, got drunk and watched Cocaine Bear.

Let me tell you Cocaine Bear is an absolutely cringeworthy film with some vaguely entertaining "what the" moments. And it was still time better spent than watching HOW we play, irrespective of the score.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:49 am 
Harry Vallence

33 Tackles
7 Tackles i50
68 Clangers
39% Efficiency i50
27% Shooting accuracy
6 players with 1 tackle
8 players with 0 tackles

Horrible numbers

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:58 am 
Ken Hunter

One thing I noticed in the player stats was a total of just 7 contested marks for the game, 5 for us and 2 for them. Can that possibly be true? No wonder we're shit if CMs are a key pillar of our game, playing a sport that no longer exists.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:14 am 
Bruce Doull

Rod Waddell wrote:
Pro: Essendon** will only win between 2-3 games this year and miss the finals (l hope as they really aren’t that flash)
Essendon* were almost as terrible as Carlton for 3/4.
Another year with no finals wins for them no matter where they finish.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:15 am 
Rod Ashman

In summary,

If we kicked straight for goal we would have won.

Football is sometimes such a simple game.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:17 am 
Adrian Gallagher

Forward line tackling is non existent Kennedy alone had more tackles then our Intire forward line

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:20 am 
Craig Bradley

Our inaccuracy is mainly due to the chaotic nature of our f50 entries... it's way too simplistic to say 'if we only kicked straight' imo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:21 am 
Bruce Doull

GreatEx wrote:
One thing I noticed in the player stats was a total of just 7 contested marks for the game, 5 for us and 2 for them. Can that possibly be true? No wonder we're shit if CMs are a key pillar of our game, playing a sport that no longer exists.
With the umpires looking to pay free kicks for every little thing I'm not surprised the numbers are so low.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:37 am 
Harry Vallence

It's noticable at the ground how often our players ignore
a player running past looking for a quick handball to instead bomb it long to a contest. It happened several times in the first half.
Couldn't tell you about the second half because we got up and left at the 10 minutes mark of the third.
My brother who is an NRL supporter and who was at his first AFL game picked up on all our flaws in half a game of footy, including how poor our skill level is. Yet we keep doing the same thing week in week out. I'm not sure what they train during the week.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:41 am 
Harry Vallence

Ooh, and Blake Acres is a bust. He had one moment where he
attacked the footy on the wing in front of us that lead to a goal.
But otherwise his skill level and footy nous are at auskick level.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:43 am 
Harry Vallence

daggs001 wrote:
It's noticable at the ground how often our players ignore
a player running past looking for a quick handball to instead bomb it long to a contest. It happened several times in the first half.
Couldn't tell you about the second half because we got up and left at the 10 minutes mark of the third.
My brother who is an NRL supporter and who was at his first AFL game picked up on all our flaws in half a game of footy, including how poor our skill level is. Yet we keep doing the same thing week in week out. I'm not sure what they train during the week.

The thing that really concerns me amongst many are our foot skills under little pressure. Weitering is a good example. There was a passage of play in the first half where he had a simple kick to a player in space and missed him by a mile. Didn’t have a huge impact on the result but surely that standard is not acceptable by the club.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:52 am 
Rod Ashman

I think our poor skill execution is mostly a symptom rather than a cause of our problems.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:59 am 
Robert Walls

tommi wrote:
So sad….

flat…drained…beat up…depressed…and especially
embarrassed…!

kindest regards tommi

Yep Tommi...that's the one that's biggest for me as well

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:05 am 
Robert Walls

SurreyBlue wrote:
I’ll add - why do we refuse to give Kennedy so little time in the middle. He is, outside of Cerra, our best clearance mid.
Also, I feel more comfortable when Cincotta, Boyd and Kemp have ball in hand, instead of some seniors. Just embarrassing.

Because Captain Selfish needs to be there for all of them

Now, that may be a coaching directive, but if he were half a leader, he'd take himself to FF or even put a hard tag on Stringer or whatever FOR THE GREATER GOOD OF THE TEAM

Please pack your bags and go back to WA. You got your Brownlow

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:07 am 
Robert Walls

malbi wrote:
Voss is not a coach until he drops Cripps. Call it managed if you want.

Reorganise the team from there.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thanks: :thanks: :thanks:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next