Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:17 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 2:17 pm 
Harry Vallence

mymanmurph wrote:
jpulice1969 wrote:
one thing i wanted to see was our fwds provide 110 % pressure well we saw how that went (again). Basically the players are not good enough and our system /game plan once again failed and i dont buy into 52 inside 50 bullshit ,we are in big trouble our list is ageing with no rewards only 1 person can help club Nick Austin and co better nail those picks and trades

The ball doesn’t get deep enough into 50 for any pressure and when it does it’s a 2 on 1
Most of our shots are from 40+or wide. We have little to no composure at HF

Excellent call

If Charlie were playing for Essendon* last night he would have kicked 6 or 7. Wright kicked 5 straight but got a lot of easy ball delivered to him well in an open forward line with quick forward entries. Wright kicked most of his from 20-40 whereas Charlie is scrambling against 2 or 3 with slow entries or long bombs and having shots outside of 50. He gets no easy ball. (He got one against Melbourne on a quick lead leaping into a good pass from ?Acres or Cerra. I thought to myself at the time, that doesn’t happen very often). And it didn’t at all last night

Essendon* are no good either but they ran the ball through the corridor quickly with chains of handballs and their kicking to moving targets was far superior

In fact they only won the game with a 15 min burst of very good football against minimal resistance in the third quarter. The rest of the game both sides were shit

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 2:24 pm 
Harry Vallence

mymanmurph wrote:
99prelim wrote:
WOW wrote:
99prelim wrote:
Can I suggest Motlop spend more time at VFL level learning the craft of small forward

can I also suggest Motlop spend more time at home looking at footage of good small forwards

Can I also suggest Motlop spends less time on his f@#$%^&^& podcast

Don't get me started on Motlop

Has literally done nothing for two years

How he gets picked every week is beyond me

The being young argument wore thin a long time ago

Correct...simple solution...go back to the VFL for rest of the year (now I know that's Voss' job so don't me started on selection integrity)

Don't care who they replace him with...hell, I'd even take Plowman as a mature body/lock down HF as a trial

It’s funny everyone hates on Plowman he is the least of our problems. if you look at the games we won last year he was in most of them.
Not every player needs to be a star just need stats just need experience around them.

Nah, Plowman is ordinary.

He has been on our list for quite a long time and we have been rubbish for that whole period.

List clogger. Needs to be moved on.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 2:34 pm 
Garry Crane

RickJ wrote:
mymanmurph wrote:
jpulice1969 wrote:
one thing i wanted to see was our fwds provide 110 % pressure well we saw how that went (again). Basically the players are not good enough and our system /game plan once again failed and i dont buy into 52 inside 50 bullshit ,we are in big trouble our list is ageing with no rewards only 1 person can help club Nick Austin and co better nail those picks and trades

The ball doesn’t get deep enough into 50 for any pressure and when it does it’s a 2 on 1
Most of our shots are from 40+or wide. We have little to no composure at HF

Excellent call

If Charlie were playing for Essendon** last night he would have kicked 6 or 7. Wright kicked 5 straight but got a lot of easy ball delivered to him well in an open forward line with quick forward entries. Wright kicked most of his from 20-40 whereas Charlie is scrambling against 2 or 3 with slow entries or long bombs and having shots outside of 50. He gets no easy ball. (He got one against Melbourne on a quick lead leaping into a good pass from ?Acres or Cerra. I thought to myself at the time, that doesn’t happen very often). And it didn’t at all last night

Essendon** are no good either but they ran the ball through the corridor quickly with chains of handballs and their kicking to moving targets was far superior

In fact they only won the game with a 15 min burst of very good football against minimal resistance in the third quarter. The rest of the game both sides were shit

If we are close enough to land a bomb in 50 we do it we don’t look left or right for a 20 m kick and then a better entry into 50. We are shell of a team it’s so depressing :banghead:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 3:04 pm 
Harry Vallence

Is it the talent on our list, or is it coaching, strategy, injury or confidence. We lack genuine burst speed, our small forwards give us very little, but I think our current list is definitely top 8 or better

Look at Collingwood. They have a bunch of ordinary players - Noble Quaynor Hill Frampton Murphy Cox even J Daicos, who are all playing above themselves with confidence and lack of fear because they are drilled in an excellent game plan where they know their roles and cover each other with great movement.

Our players look like they have no idea what they are supposed to do. They wing it or play safe. They are definitely fearful of stuffing up.

What were we doing over the off season. Can’t reinvent a game plan at the midpoint of a season. It’s on Voss and his team. Where is the tactical genius. Voss was an inspirational player and one of the all time greats. Leigh Matthews once said the only think he ever did for Voss was give him a cheap watch so he’d turn up to the game on time. The greats just know what to do. Because he played that way maybe he has trouble identifying with lesser talents who need intensive drilling. Voss should inspire our players because of who he is but who is providing the tactical brilliance and nous.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 3:31 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

RickJ wrote:

Look at Collingwood. They have a bunch of ordinary players - Noble Quaynor Hill Frampton Murphy Cox even J Daicos,

Quaynor, Hill and J Daicos aren't ordinary players.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 3:39 pm 
Craig Bradley

Maybe Humpers but we get Ricks point McInnes Hoskin elliott arent worldbeaters either
Buu they play within a system that rveryine buys imto and suits their strengths and everyone knows their role

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 3:44 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Humpers wrote:
RickJ wrote:

Look at Collingwood. They have a bunch of ordinary players - Noble Quaynor Hill Frampton Murphy Cox even J Daicos,

Quaynor, Hill and J Daicos aren't ordinary players.

start of 2021 with the Pies list, start of a full rebuild and a rookie coach, they were widely regarded as the spoon favourite among everyone in the game and the media...

we were viewed as top 8, maybe top 4 if voss can extract the best from the list.

... and now look at things.

pies are handling dees with their most influential mid out. the pies keep wheeling out all these small and mid-size forwards and mids that no one has ever heard of, but they come out and play fast and slick and hit targets.

imo when you're coaching players who've had a footy in their hands since they were 5 ... good coaches can get them all to play. great coaches will get them to believe as well, and at that point ... well, you see what collingwood is doing when you arrive at that point.

coaching is everything.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 3:45 pm 
Harry Vallence

My wife and I (grown up kids moved out) downsized and moved to East Melbourne 4 years ago, one block from the MCG. COVID ruined the first two years of the plan to walk across the road and immerse myself in the resurgence of the Blues, but in 2022 and 2023 I’ve been to every Carlton game at the G and most at Marvel, with great hope and expectation.

I have always been a loud and vocal supporter on match days, often to the embarrassment of my kids, behavioural qualities honed on the press box wing terraces at Princes Park as a child and later in the Carlton Social Club.

But last night with my son I was the calmest and quietest I think I have ever been at the football. I didn’t get overtly distressed by how atrocious we were or even about the umpiring. My son thought I was unwell.

Gotta have hope and mine is gone at present. Hope I can get it back. It’s only a game

Anyone interested in an East Melbourne apartment at George and Powlett please PM before it goes on the market. The gloss has gone

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 4:06 pm 
Bruce Doull

Blame it on me Rick. Lived on George Street for 7 years as a kid

Sent from my Nokia G21 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 4:27 pm 
Craig Bradley

Hi Rick
Keep the faith and keep East Melbourne brilliant place to live
I know what you mean I went last night and was very quiet 3.10 at half time and 6 .16 in the end does that to you as well as abysmal tackling
Didnt help that umpiring just terribly one sided
However I do think we can bounce back in 24 this time last year Essendon* have won 3 games and got a soft draw in 2023 but obviously need things to go right
Also even though we have been terrible no side apart from Adelaide have really pantsed us and we havd been lamentable

Clean up the goalkicking and the ball butchering we are in each of those games let alone getting a less stodgy game plan

We have only 2 players that have had good seasons Cerra and Charlie otherwise everyone is worse than last year with Saad ok
I also am encouraged by Hollands and Cowan think Kemp is developing ok and boyd and cincotta have promise
We have to get our list fit williams and newman would have been handy last night

I will absolutely been there next Sunday a bit more subdued than usual but there nevertheless

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 4:37 pm 
Harry Vallence

Rod Spooky Galt wrote:
Too many conditional players:
Cripps
Docherty
Saad
McKay
McGovern
Martin
Silvagni
TDK
Young

You forgot weiters

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 4:48 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

CK95 wrote:
84k is a brilliant crowd for a team that's lost 6 on the trot. Well done to all the idiots who went along.

What % of the crowd did we have?
Yo! Despite repeatedly saying I'm done.
I went to the Melbourne game, too.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 4:53 pm 
Rod Ashman

99prelim wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:
I’ll add - why do we refuse to give Kennedy so little time in the middle. He is, outside of Cerra, our best clearance mid.
Also, I feel more comfortable when Cincotta, Boyd and Kemp have ball in hand, instead of some seniors. Just embarrassing.

Because Captain Selfish needs to be there for all of them

Now, that may be a coaching directive, but if he were half a leader, he'd take himself to FF or even put a hard tag on Stringer or whatever FOR THE GREATER GOOD OF THE TEAM

Please pack your bags and go back to WA. You got your Brownlow

Anyone else get the impression 99 wants to prelim-inate the skipper?!

How many centre bounces didn't he attend?
Plenty were calling for it but there was no way he was going to be subbed for Dow at half-time.
But, on form, it was warranted. Reckon we would have got more out of No. 2 than No. 9.
Even throw him fwd for awhile, though they would have run the ball out with even greater ease.

His loss of form is as dramatic as Walsh, who has never been caught so often and just needs to take the first option.
At least the lack of pre-season gives him some caveat ... but geez, louise ...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 4:56 pm 
Geoff Southby

RickJ wrote:
My wife and I (grown up kids moved out) downsized and moved to East Melbourne 4 years ago, one block from the MCG. COVID ruined the first two years of the plan to walk across the road and immerse myself in the resurgence of the Blues, but in 2022 and 2023 I’ve been to every Carlton game at the G and most at Marvel, with great hope and expectation.

I have always been a loud and vocal supporter on match days, often to the embarrassment of my kids, behavioural qualities honed on the press box wing terraces at Princes Park as a child and later in the Carlton Social Club.

But last night with my son I was the calmest and quietest I think I have ever been at the football. I didn’t get overtly distressed by how atrocious we were or even about the umpiring. My son thought I was unwell.

Gotta have hope and mine is gone at present. Hope I can get it back. It’s only a game

Anyone interested in an East Melbourne apartment at George and Powlett please PM before it goes on the market. The gloss has gone

Being the most negative of posters on here for nearly 20 years I’m still here because I want the club to be better
But it can only happen with a proper reset
The facts are that the club has overrated players internally from when they were teenagers at the club or from other clubs or based on potential rather than sustained performance and good perception
The club needs to make some hard calls at years end imo
Cripps McKay and DeKoning need to be traded for draft picks
At the least 3 first rounders over the the next two drafts
If Scottie’s twins are half as good as Nick and Josh Daicos that gives us 7 potentially good kids to go with Binns Cowanand Hollands
Make Walsh captain
If we draft well we will be ok
A couple of late rookie mid season draft picks will help
Do yourself a favour
Look at Hawthorn
It’s early days but early signs they have drafted very well in this department
Look
At Newcombe
He is a gun and he was a mid season pick
Every premiership dynasty’s foundations lie in drafting kids and building together
The club needs to do the opposite of what it has done in the past.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 5:00 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Cripps 19 CBAs

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 5:20 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

how bad were TDK's hands last night?

3 or 4 V.easy marks dropped, and bcos of that the ball going back the other way. two directly led to goals in spots in the 1st & 2nd where we were dominating

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 5:22 pm 
Bruce Doull

Braithy wrote:
how bad were TDK's hands last night?

3 or 4 V.easy marks dropped, and bcos of that the ball going back the other way. two directly led to goals in spots in the 1st & 2nd where we were dominating
Not to mention that stupid in the back free he gave away

Sent from my Nokia G21 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:40 pm 
Ken Hunter

I'm actually pretty flat today which is annoying.

I think I stupidly thought we would fire up a bit cos it's Essendong and maybe breath a bit of life back into the season.

Bleh.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:43 pm 
Ken Hunter

I saw the vision on the news of the players being abused as they left the ground.
I understand supporters are upset and frustrated but that was way over the top.
It is a game of footy for goodness sake, no need for that rubbish.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:51 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

kezza wrote:
I saw the vision on the news of the players being abused as they left the ground.
I understand supporters are upset and frustrated but that was way over the top.
It is a game of footy for goodness sake, no need for that rubbish.
Saw that as well its a bit how you going.
I think if it is getting to you that much it's time to find something better to do with your life.

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next