Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 10:47 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:43 pm 
Ken Hunter

Words escape me, so:

Voss and his coaches :garthp:
McGovern and Saad. :lol:
Cottrell, Owies and O’Brien :yikes:
Acres :screwy:
TDK, Weitering, Young, Kemp, Kennedy, Harry, Cerra :thumbsup:
Docherty, Cripps, Walsh :cry:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:45 pm 
Bob Chitty

its just not enjoyable ... there was barely a moment from the start of the game to the end of the game that you could get excited about.

like many others .. i think ive had enough. nothing changes, so why give a shit. why go out of my way to watch ..

some of the worst football we have played for sometime. its just meek, dour, boring and hard to watch.

kemp was about the only highlight for me (and Harry kicking a few)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:46 pm 
Harry Vallence

bluehammer wrote:
Also, we are timid. So timid.

Cotterell gets hit in the head and no one... NO ONE comes in from anywhere.

So damn timid.

How pitiful was that to see !! No one came in , how weak is this playing group , and starts at the top

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:49 pm 
Wayne Johnston

A team of crap players loses to a team of premiership players. Can't really be disappointed with the effort of the 23 tonight. Thought they did better than expected.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:50 pm 
John James

glad i switched off the TV and phone at half time. i’ve never seen a team fall-off so bad in half a season. even after a grand final win from an aging list the season before.

deeply embarrassing for anybody who associates with the glory years. dunno why they think the club should be a fun place to come to work given this shit week in and week out. who else gets to have fun at work when under performing as a collective and as individuals so badly?

i think H had the right idea, mea culpa and humility on the podcast for a dozen of our layers this week. starting with Charlie for woeful field kicking for weeks now and TDK for all his dropped marks. Walsh may as well come clean on lacking match fitness and dexterity given his goal kicks on the run falling short to an opponent in the goal square each week.

on the bright side,Voss now has the injury excuse for losing all the remain games this season. yay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:50 pm 
Geoff Southby

Everyone came in for Harry kicking his first goal...plus mum in stands and in rooms after game. We rule!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:57 pm 
Ken Hunter

Georgie Parker is very lovely.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:59 pm 
Geoff Southby

Yes, I agree. We need more georgie Parker and less homer Simpson. Or is that less homer simpson and more georgie Parker. Its been a long night

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:12 am 
Harry Vallence

I don't recall us winning one ground ball inside our forward 50.

Their ground coverage was far better than ours. Our recruiters have no idea when it comes to this. Selecting mono paced plotters is not going to get a team far in modern football.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:39 am 
Bert Deacon

dannyboy wrote:
I can't help but think it all goes back to leg speed...while we built for contest the game shifted and its about speed and covering a lot of ground quickly - we have so few players who can do that and none of our best ones.

That's exactly what I reckon. Think of the perfect on-ball trio - I would say Black, Aker and Voss - brains, speed and brawn. It's possible Vossy misremembers that trio as Voss, Voss and Voss. Because that's what we've got - brawn, brawn and brawn (and brawn). That's what we (including this forum) love more than anything - the big bodied mid, all bow down to the big bodied mid. I think we suffer from somekind of Kouta Syndrome - the search for the next Kouta (who doesn't exist).

Yes, the game has shifted but we've been travelling in the opposite direction. The majority of teams have gone light infantry - lightly armoured, quick and mobile. We're still heavy infantry - heavily armoured, plodding and inching our way forward stoppage by stoppage. At the moment we're trying to do both and therefore doing neither.

We need to do something about our Four Draughthorses of the Apocalypse. I don't mean to blame any individuals, I'm looking at them as a group. But we need to cut them down to two, subject to replacements.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:38 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

We just play the most uninspiring, insipid, boring brand of football. There's no run. No line breakers. No excitement. We have sucked the joy out of going to the footy.

Walsh is a shell of the footballer we had. God I just hope it's the fact he's missed 2 pre seasons in a row.

McGovern is a waste of space and talent.

Doc... nothing but love and respect for the guy, but you can't help but feel it's all caught up to him.

Saad has lost interest in Carlton as is his want.

Thought Cerra was good.

Kemp and Cincotta tried hard.

Harry did Ok but could have had a match winning night.

TDK battled hard with little relief against the best 2 ruckmen of the last decade.

And finally, the weak tackling is just appalling. Every week. We can't hold a tackle.

I feel nothing any more. The year is shot. It's as disappointing compared to what was expected as there's been in the last 20 years. We've been here before and we know how this story ends. We're further away from success than we've ever been. Football sucks

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:49 am 
Rod Ashman

billy_bongo wrote:
dannyboy wrote:
I can't help but think it all goes back to leg speed...while we built for contest the game shifted and its about speed and covering a lot of ground quickly - we have so few players who can do that and none of our best ones.

That's exactly what I reckon. Think of the perfect on-ball trio - I would say Black, Aker and Voss - brains, speed and brawn. It's possible Vossy misremembers that trio as Voss, Voss and Voss. Because that's what we've got - brawn, brawn and brawn (and brawn). That's what we (including this forum) love more than anything - the big bodied mid, all bow down to the big bodied mid. I think we suffer from somekind of Kouta Syndrome - the search for the next Kouta (who doesn't exist).

Yes, the game has shifted but we've been travelling in the opposite direction. The majority of teams have gone light infantry - lightly armoured, quick and mobile. We're still heavy infantry - heavily armoured, plodding and inching our way forward stoppage by stoppage. At the moment we're trying to do both and therefore doing neither.

We need to do something about our Four Draughthorses of the Apocalypse. I don't mean to blame any individuals, I'm looking at them as a group. But we need to cut them down to two, subject to replacements.

[quote="billy_bongo"][quote="dannyboy"]I can't help but think it all goes back to leg speed

That’s a fair point you make. This is the first match I have watched (in part at least) for a while (on replay)

They keep bypassing Saad in defence as a link up player, so why not bring him onto the wing or stints as a rover?
Get some speed in there.

They need to try something new as it is all very predictable and dull.
How about Kennedy as a Half forward, Dow in midfield and drop one of the small forwards who don’t do much -Owies or Motlop.. try something.
Mc Govern as a forward even. With three marking targets the opposition can’t zone off McKay and Curnow and know that 90% of the time the ball is going to one of those two.

Throw the magnets around as they are racking up losses.

I am going to take a bit more interest in the VFL team but the Carlton website seems to bypass the VFL team.. not much support there.
More focus l, articles etc on AFLW than the VFL.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:26 am 
Stephen Kernahan

I was only watching it on the tele, so it might have been worse live, but there was at least four occasions we had the ball wide half back with an opportunity to bite off a 45 deg kick into the corridor and take the game on and we didn't even look. Did not swivel the head. Just down the @#$%&! line.

Living on our knees isn't much fun. Let's at least die on our feet

Left wing moralists
In self serving denial
They shit me no end

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:53 am 
Ken Hunter

Juanita Jones wrote:
I deleted all my footy apps
I unfollowed everyone that has anything to do with CFC on social
I just cancelled the sports package on Foxtel
I redirected my kayo package to a binge package
I’m done!
I've done pretty much the same.

I just have zero enjoyment or care of footy in general right now. I can't even tell you the other games this round besides Geelong v WBD.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:09 am 
Craig Bradley

The club’ list management is the problem
They give McKay a Buddyesque contract based on one year The guy lacks killer instinct and is an average kick
Consequently they give average players like Young and Pittonet 3 and 4 year contracts on cheap money
More list cloggers
They give away draft picks for overrated players overrating them and the list at the same time
Cerra is a good mid but no way is he worth a first and third rounder
Saad is a one trick pony. On mega bucks long term and we kiss goodbye pick 10

What’s that now 8.5 wins out of 24

The club simply must reset and make some bold decisions about the list
I somehow think that won’t happen

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:21 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

I'm over it all

Loser club

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:30 am 
Craig Bradley

About 3 goals down for most of the night and I never thought we had a chance at any stage

Turned it off at 3 qtr time and watched, S4e08 of Succession... that's where I'm at

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:38 am 
Geoff Southby

just pitiful effort and even worse execution. Voss and his post game presser - just horrible. bereft of ideas or how to fix it.

our mids are slow, uncreative and unskilled. our forwards don't crumb, or apply pressure. the smalls can't even get around the packs to rove some easy possessions and even goals.

defensively we're all at sea. we defend like we attack. try to force all this congestion and ignore any player or space. the amount of times teams just have to square it back across the face of goal, or lower the eyes and chip it in for an uncontested mark in our own 50 is unfathomable at this level.

none of the coaches have earned their salary this season, and only about half a dozen players are worth what they're getting paid.

it's a few levels below mediocrity and we're a bottom 4 or 5 team; and worse of all - it's here to stay for some time with our diabolical list management. (it still boils my piss we gave a 1-dimensional spud like pitto, 4 yrs. Harry gets 8, we sign Doc (whos totally cooked) to another 2.

cfc are ruining my weekends for the 2nd decade in a row.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:51 am 
Robert Walls

Please don't twist my words as though I believe he is a saviour but I am puzzled as to why...

Probably our best small fwd tackler in Fogarty cannot get a look in when Durdin, Owiies, Motlop and Fisher are on the podium as far as where our onfiled problems lay

I haven't watched VFL but FMD, I'll put money on the fact that if Fogarty had been given 3 games this year, they would not have been worse than the 3 worst games of any of the above

I would comfortably bet that even if Dow played the small fwd role in 3 games, they wouldn't be worse than the worst games of those who keep getting gifted games

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:55 am 
Robert Walls

Braithy wrote:
just pitiful effort and even worse execution. Voss and his post game presser - just horrible. bereft of ideas or how to fix it.

our mids are slow, uncreative and unskilled. our forwards don't crumb, or apply pressure. the smalls can't even get around the packs to rove some easy possessions and even goals.

defensively we're all at sea. we defend like we attack. try to force all this congestion and ignore any player or space. the amount of times teams just have to square it back across the face of goal, or lower the eyes and chip it in for an uncontested mark in our own 50 is unfathomable at this level.

none of the coaches have earned their salary this season, and only about half a dozen players are worth what they're getting paid.

it's a few levels below mediocrity and we're a bottom 4 or 5 team; and worse of all - it's here to stay for some time with our diabolical list management. (it still boils my piss we gave a 1-dimensional spud like pitto, 4 yrs. Harry gets 8, we sign Doc (whos totally cooked) to another 2.

cfc are ruining my weekends for the 2nd decade in a row.

Our defenders are constantly under pressure because our mids and small fwds are USELESS at defending their part of the ground. As a result, they are kicking it to a congestion...biding their time
MIDS and SMALL FORWARDS are our biggest structural problem

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next