Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:57 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 254 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:00 pm 
Geoff Southby

I thought dow was underwhelming last week but still a bit shocked to be sitting here.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:55 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

17th Premiership wrote:
mymanmurph wrote:
Drewgirl wrote:
i hope we dont drop young to appease Weitering if the rumours are true. Players should be professional and learn to play with others even if they dont like them.

I dont like a lot of people i work with but i must maintain professionalism.

What is happening with these 2 ?

Yes, could someone please outline whatever the rumour is?
Haven't you got the PM?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 10:38 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Quote:
MICK MCGUANE'S 1-44 BOMBER AND BLUES RANKINGS

1. Charlie Curnow (Carlton)
2. Zach Merrett (Essendon*)
3. Jake Stringer (Essendon*)
4. Nic Martin (Essendon*)
5. Adam Saad (Carlton)
6. Adam Cerra (Carlton)
7. Jordan Ridley (Essendon*)
8. Patrick Cripps (Carlton)
9. Kyle Langford (Essendon*)
10. Mason Redman (Essendon*)
11. Jacob Weitering (Carlton)
12. Matt Guelfi (Essendon*)
13. Sam Walsh (Carlton)
14. Sam Draper (Essendon*)
15. Sam Docherty (Carlton)
16. Andrew McGrath (Essendon*)
17. Jye Caldwell (Essendon*)
18. Archie Perkins (Essendon*)
19. Sam Durham (Essendon*)
20. Lewis Young (Carlton)
21. Jayden Laverde (Essendon*)
22. Tom De Koning (Carlton)
23. Will Snelling (Essendon*)
24. Blake Acres (Carlton)
25. Matthew Kennedy (Carlton)
26. Ben Hobbs (Essendon*)
27. Harry McKay (Carlton)
28. Brandon Zerk-Thatcher (Essendon*)
29. Marc Pittonet (Carlton)
30. Jake Kelly (Essendon*)
31. Jack Silvagni (Carlton)
32. Brodie Kemp (Carlton)
33. Mitch McGovern (Carlton)
34. Nick Hind (Essendon*)
35. Dyson Heppell (Essendon*)
36. Jesse Motlop (Carlton)
37. Jye Menzie (Essendon*)
38. Sam Weideman (Essendon*)
39. Matt Cottrell (Carlton)
40. Alex Cincotta (Carlton)
41. Matt Owies (Carlton)
42. Jordan Boyd (Carlton)
43. Ed Curnow (Carlton)
44. Peter Wright (Essendon*)

The above list doesn't factor in Martin who is playing this Sunday.

Maguane says another achilles heel for the blues is the bottom 6.
I wouldnt have Boyd in our bottom 6.
Ed's last, but that would be LOB's or Fisher's name if they were playing.

Our Bottom 6 includes our small forwards Motlop and Owies.
Been saying it for months now.
We have played 4 in a game for months with Durdin injured and Fisher once again ommitted.
Its a real problem. They are not that quick and are not fit enough to get back to be at the feet of the KPF's.
Developing kids like Motlop and Durdin should not be doing their full time development in the seniors in a year we need wins.

At one stage we had 4 kids in Motlop, Durdin, Hollands, Honey & Cowan playing in the same team, and add 2 midgets in Owies and Fisher to that lot and we couldn't be serious about winning 13 games to make Finals. I'm not saying they wont all make it, nor am I saying to not give them games, but playing them all in the same team, even 3 undeveloped small forwards imo is suicide.

Where's the fire power forwardline?
Yes missing easy goals by our KPFs Harry Charlie & SOS stood out, but where's the support act.

This week Martin is back to replace Fisher.
At least Martin will provide physical pressure and is probably a bit quicker on the chase than Motlop, Owies and Fisher.

Ed can tag Merrett, if Walsh doesnt play one on one with him. That's his only role. I dont mind Ed tagging a running HB either, because he does know how to create a goal.

But our bottom 6 are a real issue.

We are missing Pittonet, Williams, Hewett, Newman from our best 22.
Marchbank and Cuningham have a bit to prove like Martin, to stay on the field playing the contested brand Vossy wants from them.

Effendopes have Jones, Reid, Shiel, Parish & Setterfield missing (Setters has been in their best 22).

Thank god Young is playing with 2 metre Peter adding to the Effendopes forward fire power.

Some posters who knock Young week in week out, can have a look at how other's see Young and our team for some reality.
We don't have spare KPF's and Kemp and Gov are too short for those roles and Sam Durdin is still out injured.

Last edited by bondiblue on Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 10:42 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

More from Maguane, and I dont usually agree with him, but in this article, or do

Quote:
The rankings are based on how I have viewed each player’s overall performance this year.

I had a lot of players ahead of Carlton forward Harry McKay, who came in at No. 27.

There’s no point sugar-coating his season, which has been marred by poor goalkicking.

He’s on a monster contract and is paid to kick goals, but until he overcomes the mental challenges he is facing around his goalkicking and brings more consistency of effort he won’t turn that ranking around.

Accuracy of 35.4 per cent in front of the big sticks is nowhere near good enough.

Quote:
Sam Walsh’s rating at No. 13 might surprise a few, given he is averaging 29 disposals.

You can’t question the effort Walsh brings each week, but in my eyes he still needs to improve his decision making and ball use.

Carlton is desperate for a creative midfielder than hurts the opposition with precise disposal.

Until Walsh gets better in those areas, he won’t separate games the way other great players do.

The other thing that separates teams is their bottom-six players and Essendon*’s bottom-six is performing a lot better than Carlton’s at this point in time.

That’s another reason as to why one side is in the top-eight and the other is not.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/mick-mcguane-carlton-v-essendon-preview-144-player-ratings/news-story/64c08cad46741c17a5ce1115148c1067

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 10:47 am 
Wayne Johnston

Agree that the only reason we’ve rushed Martin back in is due to our chronic lack of any effective small forwards, he really should be spending another week or so in the VFL.

We really have to cut all our injury prone players at the end of this season, we’re carrying too much deadwood that rarely gets on the park. Maybe we can offer Williams to another club if we pay his salary for the rest of his contract?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 10:50 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

But Jake Stringer has been great for the Bombers after a slow start.

He's match fit, confident and kicking goals.
Newman normally goes to Stringer
I guess it may be Gov who takes Stringer,
Weiters/Young to play on Wright/Weideman/Draper

Stringer has been a big part of Essendon*’s rise this year

Some Carlton supporters would like to think its Setterfield, but Effendopes have won without Setters and Parish, so its not Setters as some would like us to believe

Laverde is the other who has been swung forward to pinch a goal, and their wingman Martin has been a revelation and possibly the best goal kicking wing in the AFL.

We need to score goals, because we know they can

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 10:53 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

sinbagger wrote:
Agree that the only reason we’ve rushed Martin back in is due to our chronic lack of any effective small forwards, he really should be spending another week or so in the VFL.

We really have to cut all our injury prone players at the end of this season, we’re carrying too much deadwood that rarely gets on the park. Maybe we can offer Williams to another club if we pay his salary for the rest of his contract?

Leave that for List Management, but its obvious we are carrying too many injury prone players, who are in fact, surprise surprise, missing when we need them.
I agree we should be giving Martin another week, but he lasted 4 quarters and came good in the 2nd half. He's too good for VFL, but maybe not match fit for AFL.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 10:59 am 
Garry Crane

bluehammer wrote:
17th Premiership wrote:
mymanmurph wrote:
Drewgirl wrote:
i hope we dont drop young to appease Weitering if the rumours are true. Players should be professional and learn to play with others even if they dont like them.

I dont like a lot of people i work with but i must maintain professionalism.

What is happening with these 2 ?

Yes, could someone please outline whatever the rumour is?
Haven't you got the PM?

What’s happened ?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 11:04 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Matty Kennedy shared his thoughts about this week's game, and Vossy's game plan.

Quote:
Carlton players have pledged to “let fear go” as they desperately attempt to arrest a five-game losing streak.

Midfielder Matthew Kennedy said while the team has recorded five consecutive defeats, energy has remained high at the club in a bid to “build a bit of our identity again”.

“We know we’re better than what we’re producing, and that can bring a bit of frustration,” he said this week.

“I think blokes are just playing with a bit of fear, and we’ve been speaking about letting fear go and playing with a bit more excitement and energy with our offence.

“I think our system is built around the contest, and maybe we’ve gone away from that a little bit.

“We really want to build that identity in just being physical and being a sound, defensive team. We want to be aggressive, go forward and hunt the ball and the opposition.

“Training has been really good and we’ve made some really good progress – we need to start hitting scoreboard and getting that reward for our efforts.”

He said players first had to acknowledge the “fear”, and must rediscover their instinct.

“Sometimes it’s almost like you’re trying too hard, and things go worse,” Kennedy said.

“That’s all you hear, and so you just do that. We’ve spoken about having a balanced approach and just playing the game, trying to play more on instinct.

“They’ve given us the tools and the information – now it’s on the individual to own the moment, have composure with the ball.

“I think it’s about resetting, putting composure back on our story because there’s so many people telling us what we should be doing. Take a deep breath, sit back and think ‘let’s create and write our own story, not other people’.”

As for the rumour mongers and mud throwers amongst the Blue Brethren, when it comes to all the rumours about disunity, this is what Matt Kennedy says about that

Quote:
The Blues embarked on a group breakfast in their line group earlier this week, which Kennedy said was part of maintaining regular connection external to the club environment.

It came amid reports of a divide within the playing group, to which the 26-year-old’s response was emphatic.

You actually have to laugh sometimes,” he said.

“I reckon it’s probably as close as the group has ever been, it’s just that we haven’t got the results. In the past, we’ve been through some really tough times and I’ve been here when we’ve gone through those and it’s a totally different feel to right now.”

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/blue-matthew-kennedy-says-club-must-find-its-identity-once-again/news-story/e0320df163b07fe18219cefbefab7df5

Notice this rumour started when the Mathiesons had their 5 mins of fame on the run, bagging the Board, and one ran off?

So, all those presenting the rumours as facts, and believing them to be true because Pooper Scooper Sam McLure and a couple fellas on a podcast that explores possibilities, then turn the spontaneous thoughts into facts (Judas like click bait?), here's the other side of the ledger. A PLAYER TELLING IT HOW IT IS.

On Sunday the players have their chance to show what they think about the rumour of team disharmony and 2 player factions, operating under the same roof, who cant work together.

Come on Blues. Stick it right up 'em.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 11:19 am 
Harry Vallence

Quote:
“That’s all you hear, and so you just do that. We’ve spoken about having a balanced approach and just playing the game, trying to play more on instinct.

“They’ve given us the tools and the information – now it’s on the individual to own the moment, have composure with the ball.

“I think it’s about resetting, putting composure back on our story because there’s so many people telling us what we should be doing. Take a deep breath, sit back and think ‘let’s create and write our own story, not other people’

What Matt said above is key for me. At the very least it indicates the playing group acknowledges they have what they need ("the tools and the information"). But most importantly, that its up to them to "own the moment" and have composure.

Yes its words, lets see if they can actually show it!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 12:13 pm 
Ken Hunter

Gotta laugh at Maguane ranking the players 1-44 and it getting published. That's the kind of rubbish I stopped doing when I was 10.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 1:11 pm 
Garry Crane

can our fwds put 110% pressure on ess defenders thats how we beat them

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 2:35 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Pitto out, JSOS in.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 2:44 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

GreatEx wrote:
Gotta laugh at Maguane ranking the players 1-44 and it getting published. That's the kind of rubbish I stopped doing when I was 10.

But its good to get a non Carlton view, because I find the writing off, and rating of our players by Carlton supporters are questionable. Maybe List Manager too.

...and GE, there are threads here at TC and other forms where rating players in order have been happening for years, and adults too.....rating our team list isn't odd. I'm sure you do it at the end of the year when delistings are inevitable, and a long term view taken.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 2:53 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

rhino27 wrote:
Pitto out, JSOS in.

Whoa

Short 2nd ruck.

SOS does have Navy Blue and Effendope hatred running through his blood to make up for height (I hope)

Never forget the game vs Effendope in the rain with Carlton in that all Navy jumper with stitching around the emblem, and SOS' huge smile of victory when he kicked that goal.

I was in Shanghai visiting london blue and he came back from the airport to watch the game with me. He was suppose to be flying out, but with new flying rules into the US introduced by Trump, requiring 48 hour application, well, he got caught out, and thank god he did, because that was one great win, and to share it with london, even bigger. dada dada da da....sung in the streets of Shanghai for the rest of the week.

Lets do it again SOS.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:17 pm 
Ken Hunter

bondiblue wrote:
rhino27 wrote:
Pitto out, JSOS in.

Whoa

Short 2nd ruck.

SOS does have Navy Blue and Effendope hatred running through his blood to make up for height (I hope)

Never forget the game vs Effendope in the rain with Carlton in that all Navy jumper with stitching around the emblem, and SOS' huge smile of victory when he kicked that goal.

I was in Shanghai visiting london blue and he came back from the airport to watch the game with me. He was suppose to be flying out, but with new flying rules into the US introduced by Trump, requiring 48 hour application, well, he got caught out, and thank god he did, because that was one great win, and to share it with london, even bigger. dada dada da da....sung in the streets of Shanghai for the rest of the week.

Lets do it again SOS.
I was pregnant with kid 1 then, I remember watching lying on the couch feeling like death with morning sickness.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 4:08 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

missnaut wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
rhino27 wrote:
Pitto out, JSOS in.

Whoa

Short 2nd ruck.

Lets do it again SOS.
I was pregnant with kid 1 then, I remember watching lying on the couch feeling like death with morning sickness.

You're a legend missnaut.

Amazing how we can remember these games by association, and that gives us precision.
People with dementia can recall from the long term experiences, but the decline in memory starts with short term memeory loss, from what I understand.
I can't remember what I just posted, but your long term memory is spot on missnaut.

I hope SOS does it again for you...and me...and all Carltonians

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 5:02 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Quote:
“I think blokes are just playing with a bit of fear, and we’ve been speaking about letting fear go and playing with a bit more excitement and energy with our offence.

It can't be one extreme to another. We won't win by biting off risky kicks into the corridor all night.
The key is to create space, put speed on the ball and run. Playing slow footy, taking low percentage kicks and expecting a positive result will end in tears.
We need our uncontested possessions to be moving forward and challenging their zone. Not the slow, sideways crap our defenders have been dining out on.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 5:10 pm 
Ken Hunter

bondiblue wrote:
missnaut wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
rhino27 wrote:
Pitto out, JSOS in.

Whoa

Short 2nd ruck.

Lets do it again SOS.

You're a legend missnaut.

Amazing how we can remember these games by association, and that gives us precision.
People with dementia can recall from the long term experiences, but the decline in memory starts with short term memeory loss, from what I understand.
I can't remember what I just posted, but your long term memory is spot on missnaut.

I hope SOS does it again for you...and me...and all Carltonians

Ha, thanks!

I also recall lying on the couch feeling like death with morning sickness for the Freo win when Murphy kicked a very late goal (must have been kid 2).

Sadly I think it's more a case of when you don't win many games you tend to remember them....

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 7:31 pm 
Rod Ashman

missnaut, we could do with you being pregnant again ... we really need the win :)

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 254 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next