Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:28 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 238 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 9:58 am 
Geoff Southby

CK95 wrote:
https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/05/29/it-p-es-me-off-cripps-responds-to-wilsons-false-hotel-report/

Quote:
“We aren't where we want to be as a team right now, but never question my commitment to this team or club.

“I can't wait for Friday night.”

Them fighting words.
Look out Melbourne.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 10:41 am 
Geoff Southby

Interesting game on the weekend.
I feel as though the team may need a good shrink.
Too many players having problems inside their own heads.
But aside from our goal kicking woes we lost in two areas, statistically.
One coaching and one players.
1. Centre clearances 13 to our 7, we got smashed.
And it was even more noticeable once they put Heaney and Paps into the middle to add a layer of speed which we didn't have.
We need to stop putting Doc in there, he's too slow also.
The most obvious solution was parked at HF, Cottrell.
He has pace, endurance, tackles and can kick the ball.
Voss knows we are missing this and is why he had Fisher in for so long, but fisher is too small, he gets brushed aside easily and can't stick a tackle.
Right idea, wrong player.
2. The other area was 1%ers, 54 to 40 (knock-ons, spoils, smothers and shepherds) which is 100% player driven.
They only had 4 players to have 0.
We had 8. Walsh, Newman, Motlop, Hollands, Hewett, Durdin, E Curnow and Acres.

The only negative aside from kicking ourselves out of a win was all the injuries.
However, some forced changes for coaching may shake the set up a bit for this weekend and give us a different look and game plan.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 10:53 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Sidefx wrote:
And it was even more noticeable once they put Heaney and Paps into the middle to add a layer of speed which we didn't have.
Voss knows we are missing this and is why he had Fisher in for so long, but fisher is too small, he gets brushed aside easily and can't stick a tackle.
2. The other area was 1%ers, 54 to 40 (knock-ons, spoils, smothers and shepherds) which is 100% player driven.

The only negative aside from kicking ourselves out of a win was all the injuries.
However, some forced changes for coaching may shake the set up a bit for this weekend and give us a different look and game plan.

fisher is bigger than both daicos boys, around the same build as butters, rozee, rachelle etc - fish's problem is desire and will, rather than size.

maybe one of hewitt, kennedy or cripps needs to swapped out for dow? dow has footspeed and can find the ball. maybe instructions like don't kick only handball and he'll be okay?

hewitt tbh, hasn't offered much this season and kennedy has gone past him.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 10:55 am 
Bruce Doull

Hewett will miss this week anyway.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 11:13 am 
Geoff Southby

Braithy wrote:
Sidefx wrote:

fisher is bigger than both daicos boys, around the same build as butters, rozee, rachelle etc - fish's problem is desire and will, rather than size.

maybe one of hewitt, kennedy or cripps needs to swapped out for dow? dow has footspeed and can find the ball. maybe instructions like don't kick only handball and he'll be okay?

Unlike a lot on here I don't see all the fuss with Dow, I want to, but can't.
His lack of defensive running, defensive pressure and kicking skills would be exposed massively in our seniors.
His kicking skills alone are enough of a reason to never consider him, especially given the way we are butchering the ball ATM.
But in saying this, how much worse could he be.
Maybe he could end up being our Tom Mitchell.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 12:59 pm 
Rod Ashman

Sidefx wrote:
Braithy wrote:
Sidefx wrote:

Unlike a lot on here I don't see all the fuss with Dow, I want to, but can't.
His lack of defensive running, defensive pressure and kicking skills would be exposed massively in our seniors.
His kicking skills alone are enough of a reason to never consider him, especially given the way we are butchering the ball ATM.
But in saying this, how much worse could he be.
Maybe he could end up being our Tom Mitchell.

That's the point.
Who knows?
Many calling for his selection probably think he isn't up to it ... but let's just give him a DECENT crack to maybe find out.
That's why a few of these injuries might not be such a bad thing.
If he fails to grasp a realistic opportunity, everyone will STFU.
Over to you, MC ...

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 1:59 pm 
Harry Vallence

Dow has not played with any regularity alongside Cerra and Hewett and with Charlie in the team. Our personnel has improved over the last 2 years and he has not been given a decent chance to see if he can enhance the team. I was saying last year that we needed to bring him early and see how it operates with a different mix. We didn't rotate our midfield personnel enough last year and as a result they finished up battered and fatigued.

Of our entire playing list I find he is second best at sharking a tap out at centre and around ground clearances and throw ins (Cuningham does it better than anyone). He needs to be the go to person in these situations not Cripps.

I am particularly impressed with his attitude whilst being overlooked for so long ... he just keeps going on. I remember Chris Yarran and SPS getting dropped and showing little interest.

Many of our midfielders chase the same ball ... we need something diiferent.

For me, not selecting Dow might be saying more about Voss.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 2:02 pm 
Ken Hunter

Sydney Blue wrote:
Wojee wrote:
Reported this morning that Cripps and Docherty stayed in a different hotel to the rest of the team.
I don't know if there's actually anything in this but on the surface it doesn't point to unity.
It was bullshit
Cripps responded this morning

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk

It wouldn't be the first time Caro has got something wrong.
Lets see if he gets an apology.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 2:11 pm 
Bruce Doull

Footy on Nine
9 m ·
On Monday night it was reported on Footy Classified that Patrick Cripps and Sam Docherty stayed at a hotel separate to the one used by the rest of the team while in Sydney on Friday night. This was wrong.
We have spoken with Patrick and apologised.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 2:12 pm 
Rod Ashman

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by 17th Premiership on Tue May 30, 2023 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 2:14 pm 
Ken Hunter

CK95 wrote:
Footy on Nine
9 m ·
On Monday night it was reported on Footy Classified that Patrick Cripps and Sam Docherty stayed at a hotel separate to the one used by the rest of the team while in Sydney on Friday night. This was wrong.

That is something I guess.
He was really pissed off and who can blame him.
If she is not sure of her facts then maybe not say anything next time.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 3:50 pm 
Ken Hands

Braithy wrote:
Sidefx wrote:

No chance Fisher is as big and/or strong as Nick Daicos. He'd throw him around like a rag doll. The older brother probably could too (I've gone blank, his name escapes me).

Fisher is, at least on current form, not skilled or composed enough to make up for his lack of athleticism.

Sure, he's more skilled than say Cottrell (although again, maybe not on current form), but not relative to his athletic ability. Cottrell's speed, strength, and stamina can get him out of trouble and hide his disposal deficiencies. Fisher doesn’t have this luxury.

Not sure what to do with Fisher, but he's miles off AFL standard as far as I can tell (which, to be fair, isn't saying much).

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 4:04 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

kezza wrote:
CK95 wrote:
Footy on Nine
9 m ·

Caroline Wilson has personally apologised to Patrick Cripps for her incorrect report which the Carlton skipper said questioned his commitment to the football club.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 4:11 pm 
Geoff Southby

rhino27 wrote:
kezza wrote:
CK95 wrote:
Footy on Nine
9 m ·

Caroline Wilson has personally apologised to Patrick Cripps for her incorrect report which the Carlton skipper said questioned his commitment to the football club.

His ankle is ratshit and he's hobbling around Sydney for an extra day . Wouldn't call that cutting edge injury management .

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 5:41 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Luke Parker lost his appeal. Used the Walsh had a lot of possessions in the last quarter so what I did couldn't have been that bad excuse.
Cerra up next. Despite our good record at the tribunal, expecting the same result.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 5:47 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

rhino27 wrote:
Luke Parker lost his appeal. Used the Walsh had a lot of possessions in the last quarter so what I did couldn't have been that bad excuse.
Cerra up next. Despite our good record at the tribunal, expecting the same result.

i'm hopeful. the tackle looked worse, butthe rules state pinning the arms, which cerra did not do - plus the argument he's a much taller player, higher centre of gravity he whiplashed himself into the ground.

hope he gets off.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 6:09 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Hope you're right

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 8:11 pm 
Wayne Johnston

BamBam7 wrote:
Braithy wrote:
Sidefx wrote:

No chance Fisher is as big and/or strong as Nick Daicos. He'd throw him around like a rag doll. The older brother probably could too (I've gone blank, his name escapes me).

Fisher is, at least on current form, not skilled or composed enough to make up for his lack of athleticism.

Sure, he's more skilled than say Cottrell (although again, maybe not on current form), but not relative to his athletic ability. Cottrell's speed, strength, and stamina can get him out of trouble and hide his disposal deficiencies. Fisher doesn’t have this luxury.

Not sure what to do with Fisher, but he's miles off AFL standard as far as I can tell (which, to be fair, isn't saying much).

There was one play in the VFL, Fisher ran past a Carlton player on the corner of the centre square for an outside handball receive on the overlap. He had a clear run to 50 and clear shot at goal, but because he was on his right he turned back into traffic, was blocked, turned a circle and hand balled 20 metres backwards to the defensive side of the centre square.

He’ll never be a decent AFL player until he gets a right foot.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 8:20 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

rhino27 wrote:
kezza wrote:
CK95 wrote:
Footy on Nine
9 m ·

She’ll file this one away for later, don’t you worry about that.

:wink: :lol:

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 2:07 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

BamBam7 wrote:
Braithy wrote:
Sidefx wrote:

I agree re Daicos stronger than Fisher.

Cottrell is a more reliable kick that Fisher imo...on both sides of the body.

Fisher is not quick. He has a side step which often gets him in trouble.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 238 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next