Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:06 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 238 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 8:16 am 
Harry Vallence

malbi wrote:
Rod Spooky Galt wrote:
In hindsight I wonder if the right counter to the Cripps/Heeney matchup was to throw Cripps onto the skinny side wing and force Longmire to make a move. Either Heeney is going to run off Cripps but from a lesser position of influence, or you keep him in there against either Ed playing a lockdown matchup on him, or you put Walsh in there and have him run off him forward instead.

Wasn't as if Cripps was smashing it at the centre bounces. One centre clearance from 17 attendances

What they should have done is put Cripps at FF and see how Heeney likes it at FB.

Disagree. We were already too top heavy on a small ground with Charlie, Harry, TDK and our smalls being off. Wouldn't have solved one problem by making another worse.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 8:45 am 
Rod Ashman

Rod Spooky Galt wrote:
malbi wrote:
Rod Spooky Galt wrote:
In hindsight I wonder if the right counter to the Cripps/Heeney matchup was to throw Cripps onto the skinny side wing and force Longmire to make a move. Either Heeney is going to run off Cripps but from a lesser position of influence, or you keep him in there against either Ed playing a lockdown matchup on him, or you put Walsh in there and have him run off him forward instead.

Wasn't as if Cripps was smashing it at the centre bounces. One centre clearance from 17 attendances

What they should have done is put Cripps at FF and see how Heeney likes it at FB.

Disagree. We were already too top heavy on a small ground with Charlie, Harry, TDK and our smalls being off. Wouldn't have solved one problem by making another worse.

We kicked 6 goals so hard to make it worse..!
Total lack of plan B or any during game analysis it seems .. continually out coached

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 8:50 am 
Rod Ashman

Rod Spooky Galt wrote:
malbi wrote:
Rod Spooky Galt wrote:

Ok. Don't do anything then and let the car crash in front of us. The problem with Voss is that there is no Plan B. He's not willing to try anything. We become so predictable that teams set up against us.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 9:18 am 
Ken Hunter

malbi wrote:
GreatEx wrote:
Actually I thought your admission that you don't watch reserves after weeks of banging on incessantly about Dow was more comic relief than prescient warning, but thanks anyway.

In Voss we trust... :lol:

Hey now, let's not say things that can't be unsaid!

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 9:28 am 
Harry Vallence

malbi wrote:
Rod Spooky Galt wrote:
malbi wrote:
Rod Spooky Galt wrote:

Ok. Don't do anything then and let the car crash in front of us. The problem with Voss is that there is no Plan B. He's not willing to try anything. We become so predictable that teams set up against us.

I literally said what I thought we should have done rather than nothing, in the post you've quoted and subsequently ignored to platform your own opinion.

womack wrote:
Total lack of plan B or any during game analysis it seems .. continually out coached

They absolutely killed us off half back all night - 11 goals conceded could have easily been 15.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 9:30 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Mickstar wrote:
Rod Spooky Galt wrote:

Wasn't as if Cripps was smashing it at the centre bounces. One centre clearance from 17 attendances[/quote

Hindsight ? pretty obvious after the game had gone ten minutes . Infuriating that something wasn't tried . Ed or Walsh would have been fine by me . No bigger fan of Cripps than me but when you are getting beat you are getting beat . Bare in mind Heaney aint a midfielder but a high half forward so an unorthodox counter was required .

Ive never seeen Heeney fail as a midfielder. He's more than a mid. He's a RR and wing, a HB, a HF, a FF. He is easily a best mid for Swans but is their Mr Fixit. Cant play ruck, but then again I'd put money on heeney before I put it on Grigg for the Tiges :wink:

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 9:34 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Rod Spooky Galt wrote:
malbi wrote:
Rod Spooky Galt wrote:

Too top heavy? Its not a small ground.

Did you see Kemp on McLean and Gov on McAndrew. Our boys looked like dwarfs. How many intercept marks did our boys take? They were out of their depth.

Harry and Charlie were covered pretty well by Melican and Francis.

I thought we were outcoached and too smart for our own good leaving out Young (the only tall option we have to play KPD)

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 9:44 am 
Bruce Doull

I thought Sydney's tall stocks were meant to be decimated. Their big men seemed to go OK to me :cry: :grin:

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 9:44 am 
Rod Ashman

Rod Spooky Galt wrote:
malbi wrote:
Rod Spooky Galt wrote:
malbi wrote:
Rod Spooky Galt wrote:

I literally said what I thought we should have done rather than nothing, in the post you've quoted and subsequently ignored to platform your own opinion.

womack wrote:

They absolutely killed us off half back all night - 11 goals conceded could have easily been 15.
Ok. You want to try Cripps on the wing. I disagree with that. The point is that Voss did nothing.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 9:46 am 
Harry Vallence

Oval Length (m) Width (m) Area (m²) ▼ Area per player (m²)
MCG 160 141 17,719 492
SCG 155 136 16,556 460

Melican and Francis played out of their skin, no question about it.

Top heavy in the sense that we had too many big bodies in the forward 50, and subsequently made it more difficult for the key forwards to find space and easier for the opposition to run the ball out of our forward 50.

Thought playing De Koning actively made that worse, as he flat out refuses to lead out wide, offer a dummy lead and clear space for H/Charlie to lead into. Most of the night he got in their way.

Adding another slow big body in there who doesn't particularly chase would have been ordinary for our ability to defend the footy coming back out. Blakey already did what he liked in that regard.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 9:53 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Rod Spooky Galt wrote:
MCG 160 141 17,719 492
SCG 155 136 16,556 460

Top heavy in the sense that we had too many big bodies in the forward 50, and subsequently made it more difficult for the key forwards to find space and easier for the opposition to run the ball out of our forward 50.

Thought playing De Koning actively made that worse, as he flat out refuses to lead out wide, offer a dummy lead and clear space for H/Charlie to lead into. Most of the night he got in their way.

Adding another slow big body in there who doesn't particularly chase would have been ordinary for our ability to defend the footy coming back out. Blakey already did what he liked in that regard.

5m x 5m difference....similar to other grounds.
Before they took out the 12 rows of seats to make the ground longer 15 years ago, it was a very short ground.

DeKoning getting in the way is a coaching issue, not a selection issue. Could've worked.

Now for the 3 midgets running around in the forwardline...did they too clog the forwardline?

The forwardline wasnt functioning. Big boys dropping marks and missing straight forward shots at goal.

Who should have played instead of TDK?

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 10:11 am 
Wayne Johnston

bondiblue wrote:
Rod Spooky Galt wrote:
MCG 160 141 17,719 492
SCG 155 136 16,556 460

5m x 5m difference....similar to other grounds.
Before they took out the 12 rows of seats to make the ground longer 15 years ago, it was a very short ground.

DeKoning getting in the way is a coaching issue, not a selection issue. Could've worked.

Now for the 3 midgets running around in the forwardline...did they too clog the forwardline?

The forwardline wasnt functioning. Big boys dropping marks and missing straight forward shots at goal.

Who should have played instead of TDK?

Akeui would have had as much impact as TDK, probably even more.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 10:20 am 
Harry Vallence

I can't think of a time where a team with three tall key forwards has performed at their expected level or above it on the SCG. Always gets too crowded. Even in the hey day of North in the 90s, Carey would always talk about it being the hardest ground to play CHF on as the ball just constantly goes over your head. Even post-extension in 07, it's still a very easy ground to score from the centre square.

They certainly didn't help things - all three had an off night to varying degrees. If Motlop could kick 35m+, might have been a different story. Owies tried hard. Durdin non existent.

You can go through my post history - I advocated for Silvagni/Curnow/Hollands to be dropped and didn't really specify who to bring in on the basis that it seemed irrelevant. I wouldn't have picked TDK for this game for that reason (and now saying he should probably stay in because of the Gawn/Grundy factor coming up). Malbi's idea about Cripps resting forward would have worked in the context of the third tall/relief ruckman and was something I brought up in general over the past week.

You could argue Lewis Young in hindsight alone, but I don't think it changes much, especially if we're arguing Sydney's capacity to run the footy out of our back half.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 11:15 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Rod Spooky Galt wrote:
I can't think of a time where a team with three tall key forwards has performed at their expected level or above it on the SCG. Always gets too crowded. Even in the hey day of North in the 90s, Carey would always talk about it being the hardest ground to play CHF on as the ball just constantly goes over your head. Even post-extension in 07, it's still a very easy ground to score from the centre square.

They certainly didn't help things - all three had an off night to varying degrees. If Motlop could kick 35m+, might have been a different story. Owies tried hard. Durdin non existent.

You can go through my post history - I advocated for Silvagni/Curnow/Hollands to be dropped and didn't really specify who to bring in on the basis that it seemed irrelevant. I wouldn't have picked TDK for this game for that reason (and now saying he should probably stay in because of the Gawn/Grundy factor coming up). Malbi's idea about Cripps resting forward would have worked in the context of the third tall/relief ruckman and was something I brought up in general over the past week.

You could argue Lewis Young in hindsight alone, but I don't think it changes much, especially if we're arguing Sydney's capacity to run the footy out of our back half.

Swans work for each other.

If we played 2 talls, they would just put body on our 2 talls and allow a 3rd tall go over the top in their forwardline and backline.

Isnt it the smalls who should be providing forward pressure and not allow Swans easy exits from HB? If so, they arent doing it because theyve only done 1 serious preseason and are still developing. They are part of the reason we lack forward pressure imo.

Swans have played 3 tall forwards successfully, with buddy Reidy (when he was fit) and a resting ruckman...Sinclaie, Naismith etc etc

Who really knows. You may well be correct Galty. But I don't think we lost it from a lack of forward pressure on the night, nor because we were top heavy. Shit skills killed us, and injuries forced us to limp over the finish line. Those easy misses marks and kicks at goal may have got us over the line...just.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 11:25 am 
Harry Vallence

While I think three isn't preferable on that ground, the choice of the third tall didn't help at all. Even if we had picked Young, the option to swing McGovern forward would have been there.

You still rely on the tall forwards to at least provide some contest - Harry's forwardline pressure has never been good. Charlie tends to pick and choose. TDK's is non-existent. I feel as though Durdin's our barometer in that respect, if he's up and about in the first five minutes making a contest, we tend to look a lot better. Instead, barely sighted.

I've found in the past, when fit, they've used Reid as the back up ruck at the SCG, and the additional ruck, but play the extra tall on the other grounds, unless necessary.

I got stuck watching the replay on Saturday morning at the venue I was having a coffee at. That McKay miss from about 25 out midway through the third killed us. He kicks that, we're 4 points up with the most momentum we had all night. Sucked the oxygen right out of them. I feel like we could have won that unconvincingly, instead we played dead from there. We were somewhere between slow to react and non-responsive to Blakey and Heeney, and by the time a move needed to be made, we had nothing on the interchange. I don't think the three talls up forward lost us the game, but it played a big part in getting us to the situation we were in. Didn't hold a candle to 1.6 from the talls, or how stubborn we were/are with our CBA setups.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 4:26 pm 
Harry Vallence

My mum told me if dont have anything nice to say.....

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 9:20 am 
Bruce Doull

Reported this morning that Cripps and Docherty stayed in a different hotel to the rest of the team.
I don't know if there's actually anything in this but on the surface it doesn't point to unity.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 9:40 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Wojee wrote:
Reported this morning that Cripps and Docherty stayed in a different hotel to the rest of the team.
I don't know if there's actually anything in this but on the surface it doesn't point to unity.
It was bullshit
Cripps responded this morning

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 9:44 am 
Bruce Doull

Sydney Blue wrote:
Wojee wrote:
It was bullshit
Cripps responded this morning

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk

Fair enough, heard it on the radio.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 9:47 am 
Bruce Doull

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/05/29/ ... el-report/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 238 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next