Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:52 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 238 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 2:18 pm 
Geoff Southby

bondiblue wrote:
BamBam7 wrote:
Braithy wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
Interesting game on the weekend.
I feel as though the team may need a good shrink.
Too many players having problems inside their own heads.
But aside from our goal kicking woes we lost in two areas, statistically.
One coaching and one players.
1. Centre clearances 13 to our 7, we got smashed.
And it was even more noticeable once they put Heaney and Paps into the middle to add a layer of speed which we didn't have.
We need to stop putting Doc in there, he's too slow also.
The most obvious solution was parked at HF, Cottrell.
He has pace, endurance, tackles and can kick the ball.
Voss knows we are missing this and is why he had Fisher in for so long, but fisher is too small, he gets brushed aside easily and can't stick a tackle.
Right idea, wrong player.
2. The other area was 1%ers, 54 to 40 (knock-ons, spoils, smothers and shepherds) which is 100% player driven.
They only had 4 players to have 0.
We had 8. Walsh, Newman, Motlop, Hollands, Hewett, Durdin, E Curnow and Acres.

The only negative aside from kicking ourselves out of a win was all the injuries.
However, some forced changes for coaching may shake the set up a bit for this weekend and give us a different look and game plan.

fisher is bigger than both daicos boys, around the same build as butters, rozee, rachelle etc - fish's problem is desire and will, rather than size.

maybe one of hewitt, kennedy or cripps needs to swapped out for dow? dow has footspeed and can find the ball. maybe instructions like don't kick only handball and he'll be okay?

hewitt tbh, hasn't offered much this season and kennedy has gone past him.
No chance Fisher is as big and/or strong as Nick Daicos. He'd throw him around like a rag doll. The older brother probably could too (I've gone blank, his name escapes me).

Fisher is, at least on current form, not skilled or composed enough to make up for his lack of athleticism.

Sure, he's more skilled than say Cottrell (although again, maybe not on current form), but not relative to his athletic ability. Cottrell's speed, strength, and stamina can get him out of trouble and hide his disposal deficiencies. Fisher doesn’t have this luxury.

Not sure what to do with Fisher, but he's miles off AFL standard as far as I can tell (which, to be fair, isn't saying much).

I agree re Daicos stronger than Fisher.

Cottrell is a more reliable kick that Fisher imo...on both sides of the body.

Fisher is not quick. He has a side step which often gets him in trouble.

Yep.
:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 2:28 pm 
Rod Ashman

Sidefx wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
BamBam7 wrote:
Braithy wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
And it was even more noticeable once they put Heaney and Paps into the middle to add a layer of speed which we didn't have.
Voss knows we are missing this and is why he had Fisher in for so long, but fisher is too small, he gets brushed aside easily and can't stick a tackle.
2. The other area was 1%ers, 54 to 40 (knock-ons, spoils, smothers and shepherds) which is 100% player driven.

The only negative aside from kicking ourselves out of a win was all the injuries.
However, some forced changes for coaching may shake the set up a bit for this weekend and give us a different look and game plan.

fisher is bigger than both daicos boys, around the same build as butters, rozee, rachelle etc - fish's problem is desire and will, rather than size.

maybe one of hewitt, kennedy or cripps needs to swapped out for dow? dow has footspeed and can find the ball. maybe instructions like don't kick only handball and he'll be okay?

No chance Fisher is as big and/or strong as Nick Daicos. He'd throw him around like a rag doll. The older brother probably could too (I've gone blank, his name escapes me).

Fisher is, at least on current form, not skilled or composed enough to make up for his lack of athleticism.

Sure, he's more skilled than say Cottrell (although again, maybe not on current form), but not relative to his athletic ability. Cottrell's speed, strength, and stamina can get him out of trouble and hide his disposal deficiencies. Fisher doesn’t have this luxury.

Not sure what to do with Fisher, but he's miles off AFL standard as far as I can tell (which, to be fair, isn't saying much).

I agree re Daicos stronger than Fisher.

Cottrell is a more reliable kick that Fisher imo...on both sides of the body.

Fisher is not quick. He has a side step which often gets him in trouble.

Yep.
:thumbsup:

LIke most small players they are not quick over 40m or longer but it is the first 3- 10m that is critical in football. And at that distance he is quick.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 2:33 pm 
Geoff Southby

40. Zac FISHER
DOB: 15/6/98 | Ht: 175.2cm | Wt: 70.3 | Perth | Small Midfielder.

The small left-footed midfielder knows how to find the ball – not matter the level that he’s playing at. He made some big strides in the back half of 2015 with Perth in the Colts competition and hit the ground running this year before playing most of the year in the Demons league team, where he didn’t look out of place. As a midfielder, he hunts the ball both inside and outside the contest and shows good energy but can be cleaner with his hands on ground balls. Size will be a concern, but as Lachie Neale has shown, its not a roadblock.

Strengths: awareness, playmaking.

Needs to improve: size.

Injuries: Fractured wrist in August.

Combine test results: Repeat Sprint – 25.31. 20m Sprint – 3.03. Agility – N/A. Beep Test – 12.7. 3km TT – 10:58

Same speed as LOB.

#20 Lochie O’Brien
Outside Midfielder (Bendigo Pioneers/Vic Country)
18/09/1999 | 184.0cm | 77.4kg
Scouting notes: Classy outside midfielder who is likened to former Roo and Saint Nick Dal Santo. Uses the ball well on his left foot and possesses elite speed which can help him burst away on the outside at speed. Impressed last year for Vic Country as a bottom-ager playing on the wing, a position that allows for him to be a receiever on the outside where he can clear the ball via a pinpoint pass. A good decision maker and is someone you want to have the ball in their hands. If he can win a bit more contested ball he should be able to mould into a damaging wingman/half back.
Strengths: Kicking, Footy IQ, spread
Improvements: Disposal under pressure, contested ball
Combine test results: 20m Sprint (secs) – 3.03 | Agility (secs) – 8.35 | Yo-Yo Test (level) – 20.7

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 3:01 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

i think what sets fish apart is his agility and lateral movement with a quick first few steps. it's a level of illusive we don't have much of.

just wish he'd play with heart & determination. two traits this club hasn't had much of since the start of the century :confused:

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 5:06 pm 
Ken Hunter

Wonder where Wilson got her bad Intel from. The Prendercast put out another bit of gossip that I won't amplify here, regarding another pair of players. Some troublemakers having a bit of a laugh at our expense, it seems.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 9:18 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

carntheblues wrote:

LIke most small players they are not quick over 40m or longer but it is the first 3- 10m that is critical in football. And at that distance he is quick.

I agree, I still drool to think of Bettsy's dynamics, and Cameron's, small variety, and Pickett's these days (and we could've picked him Pickett but SOS split the pick for Kemp...time still on Kemps side ....or even Sam DeKoning... :roll: ) but lately with Fisher speed only comes from his side ways movement, and the shimy which use to works ... he isnt doing that any more. He's become a one trick pony and that is predictable. He's played 100 games. He has to be better. Speed is his weapon. He has to add more tricks, but he's one sided.imo

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 9:35 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

GreatEx wrote:
Wonder where Wilson got her bad Intel from. The Prendercast put out another bit of gossip that I won't amplify here, regarding another pair of players. Some troublemakers having a bit of a laugh at our expense, it seems.

Are you advertising the forum? I know you like it. Just tell us.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 9:41 pm 
Ken Hunter

I'm not telling because I don't want to give oxygen to what are probably bullshit rumours, it's nothing to do with promoting the podcast. Besides, the last episode contained a record amount of Manchester United talk, it was unconscionable :)

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 10:29 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Sidefx wrote:

Nice work..
Couldn't agree more... Both easily fixable...

Go Blues

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:38 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

GreatEx wrote:
I'm not telling because I don't want to give oxygen to what are probably bullshit rumours, it's nothing to do with promoting the podcast. Besides, the last episode contained a record amount of Manchester United talk, it was unconscionable :)

You're a good fella GE

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:57 pm 
John James

speaking of our talls getting in each others way. the low moment of the match for me
watching the first half so far on replay was Weiters (pretty sure it was him) crashing Kemps fly for the intercept mark — *after Kemp had marked it*. made me wanna cry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:59 pm 
John James

an extra big bodies mid who can run ok, Setterfield now playing out of his skin for the favorite team of all umpiring decision whingers

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:09 pm 
John James

AGRO wrote:
rhino27 wrote:
kezza wrote:
CK95 wrote:
Footy on Nine
9 m ·
On Monday night it was reported on Footy Classified that Patrick Cripps and Sam Docherty stayed at a hotel separate to the one used by the rest of the team while in Sydney on Friday night. This was wrong.
We have spoken with Patrick and apologised.

That is something I guess.
He was really pissed off and who can blame him.
If she is not sure of her facts then maybe not say anything next time.

Caroline Wilson has personally apologised to Patrick Cripps for her incorrect report which the Carlton skipper said questioned his commitment to the football club.

She’ll file this one away for later, don’t you worry about that.

:wink: :lol:

Wilson says a lot of forgettable things. the one thing i do recall her saying maybe twenty years ago, maybe a bit more recently, was “there’s a cancer at Carlton”. those who laugh last laugh loudest. but when will we get to put that caner into remission?!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:12 pm 
John James

BamBam7 wrote:
Braithy wrote:
Sidefx wrote:

Cottrell has a definable role and can do it. they tried to make Fisher a small forward because already had a lot of midfielders with more talent and size and for a minute it looked like paying dividends with his shimmy and goal moves. but the more midfield he gets the more invisible he gets.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:55 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

diesel95 wrote:
an extra big bodies mid who can run ok, Setterfield now playing out of his skin for the favorite team of all umpiring decision whingers

Setterfield is out injured hasn't played for 3 weeks and not selected this week

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:37 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Sydney Blue wrote:
diesel95 wrote:

Its amazing the hysteria with Setterfield and stocker.
Just because they are getting games doesnt mean they are better players all of the sudden.
Ive watched them, and wish them good luck. Do not miss them one bit.

I like Boyd more than Stocker.
I like Cerra, Hewett and Kennedy more than Setterfield.
That implies for me there's still no room for them in the Best 2023 Carlton team imo.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:56 am 
Wayne Johnston

bondiblue wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:
diesel95 wrote:

Its amazing the hysteria with Setterfield and stocker.
Just because they are getting games doesnt mean they are better players all of the sudden.
Ive watched them, and wish them good luck. Do not miss them one bit.

I like Boyd more than Stocker.
I like Cerra, Hewett and Kennedy more than Setterfield.
That implies for me there's still no room for them in the Best 2023 Carlton team imo.

Exactly, Setterfield is getting regular game time because the cheats have no inside midfielders. If Mirkov went to a club without any first rucks he’d be also getting regular game time, but at Carlton he’s behind TDK and Pittonet.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:02 am 
Craig Bradley

No hysteria but we didn’t drive a hard enough bargain in the trade for them
Need to be more hard nosed
Indicative of why we are sitting 13 th we are not hard nosed enough
Ridiculous not fattening Dow up now for sale
Stkilda got Stocker for nothing bad business I say
Neither are stars stocker or Setterfield but we needed to get some recompense for stocker surely even if it was a late third rounder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:30 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

frank dardew wrote:
No hysteria but we didn’t drive a hard enough bargain in the trade for them
Need to be more hard nosed
Indicative of why we are sitting 13 th we are not hard nosed enough
Ridiculous not fattening Dow up now for sale
Stkilda got Stocker for nothing bad business I say
Neither are stars stocker or Setterfield but we needed to get some recompense for stocker surely even if it was a late third rounder

Totally get that about the deal making and return of investment; that is a failure.
We didn't even try to build up any value in Setters or Stocker.
I mentioned that Dow must be selected to increase his value, or, produce something we have missed.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:10 pm 
Geoff Southby

It's a catch 22 though.
He could come in and just blow it and be worth even less.
At lest at the moment he is racking up disposals in the 2s and adding perceived value based on that.
A club might see him as a good project that needs a sea change.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 238 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next