Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 3:45 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 238 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 10:37 pm 
Adrian Gallagher

Traveller86 wrote:
Listening to Voss' presser today we can pretty much put a line through Dow, he clearly doesn't rate him as an inside mid ahead of the incumbents.

He pretty much confirmed TDK would be in, whilst the similar question asked about Dow had a starkly different response.

You are correct Voss doesn’t rate Dow at all Voss told him at the exit meeting last year that he will not pick him
To me that is a poor coach weather he is up to it or not he’s form in the vfl warrants him to be giving a chance
A lot of people say he’s disposel isn’t good enough well he can’t be any worse than the blokes who are playing now

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 11:47 pm 
Garry Crane

Keithy wrote:
Traveller86 wrote:
Listening to Voss' presser today we can pretty much put a line through Dow, he clearly doesn't rate him as an inside mid ahead of the incumbents.

He pretty much confirmed TDK would be in, whilst the similar question asked about Dow had a starkly different response.

You are correct Voss doesn’t rate Dow at all Voss told him at the exit meeting last year that he will not pick him
To me that is a poor coach weather he is up to it or not he’s form in the vfl warrants him to be giving a chance
A lot of people say he’s disposel isn’t good enough well he can’t be any worse than the blokes who are playing now

Thats what gets me if it’s based on disposal Walsh Cerra Cripps have all had some very average turnovers.
Voss needs to give him a go because our midfield needs a bit of something different.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 12:48 am 
Rod Ashman

If Voss doesn't pick Dow then he is being pig-headed and deserves to fail. Plenty of others have been given a go without any form to speak of. Unfortunately, for us the club as a whole suffers.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 8:18 am 
formerly Fevola

Thats what worried me about Voss when we got him. Thought he was humbled and learned a lot from his first stint.

I thought he came to Carlton with a blank canvas.

Im not saying Dow is going to make it but he is doing everything that is being asked of him. At least on the surface.

Its not setting a good example to the players to have your leader/coach having a grudge against a teammate of yours.

Its not a great vibe. Especially when the club is advertising inclusion/acceptance etc when they are not living the values.

He cannot be any better or worse than Ed Curnow, or the underdone players like Boyd they rush straight in.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 8:46 am 
Geoff Southby

Possibly an even better example than Dow is Stocker who is not even with us anymore but carving himself a nice career at the saints.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 9:41 am 
Geoff Southby

Stocker is going ok in the Saints system.
Cincotta stats are comparable though, so you'd assume he'd be going about the same as Cincotta if he still played with us or worse.
He's still isn't worth the pick we used for him.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 10:31 am 
Geoff Southby

bondiblue wrote:

I thought the discussion from the bb stats was the small forwards, who should be avenues to goal but haven't been for a long while. I don't blame the wings and mids for that.

So, outside of Owies, you're happy with the 2nd and 3rd small forwards because ... the stats bb provided from afl.com support that?

Miracle workers? The smalls? I don't think I can let them off so lightly. I saw their impact as targets in the forwardline vs Dogs with the big dogs playing away from goal.

I think 3 smalls is at least one too many. I feel having 2 developing smalls in a team who cant afford to faulter is playing Russian Roulette by playing them, and something we do week in week out and it doesnt work.

No drama. I'm only guessing. For all I know they are perfecting Vossy's instructions and are sound. I just cant see it and havent seen it for 6 weeks (apart from WCE)

This is not the week to judge them if Vossy selects them again. We will beat Swans with or without the 2 kids. I will be interested in their ooutput vs Swans even if we do win, but the folllowing weekend, watch out. This is the week we should be trying different chemistry.

Sadly I dont think Dow will get a go this week.

I thought the discussion was about output and positioning, with Billy stating they are not the problem. Same thing I guess.
Billy provided stats of our smalls output and compared them to some other key smalls in the league to show they are not going as bad as we would like to think.
Goals and tackles are only two of the six stats I’d use to assess the smalls performance though.
The other four are goal assists, goal accuracy, score involvements and pressure acts;

Durds
0.2 Goal assists
62.5% Goal accuracy
4 Score Involvements
13.6 Pressure acts

Motlop
0.4 Goal assists
53.3% Goal accuracy
4.1 Score Involvements
15.9 Pressure acts

Owies
0.4 Goal assists
73.3% Goal accuracy
4.2 Score Involvements
15.2 Pressure acts

vs

Hill
0.7 Goal assists
61.9% Goal accuracy
3.8 Score Involvements
13.2 Pressure acts

Papps
0.7 Goal assists
47.5% Goal accuracy
5.5 Score Involvements
13 Pressure acts

Spargo
1 Goal assists
90% Goal accuracy
4.4 Score Involvements
12.2 Pressure acts

Based on those numbers and the ones Billy provided they are doing what is expected of them in their roles, not outstanding like the rest of the team but doing their roles.
If you were to critique anything it’d be goal assists need to be better, but in a congested forward line those stats would be harder to get anyway.
Am I happy? We are not winning games so no.
Do I think they can do better? The whole team needs to do better.

As far as positioning goes, who knows what is expected of them, I and other supporters expect them to be at the feet of the talls all the time.
However, Voss has them running up and down the ground all game.
And as I’ve said, given we bomb the ball into Harry and Charlie most of the time, you’d assume they’ve been told to move their player away from them as much as possible.
Who knows.

Either way, we are so desperate to kick goals they are now copping flack, instead of our mids and wings that can’t kick goals or deliver the ball lace out to players in the F50.
It all starts from the middle and just bombing into the F50 is never going to win games for us.
Whether it’s our defensive game plan or lack of skill (both I think) our mids and wings are not up to it offensively and it’s unreasonable to expect the smalls to just magically pull goals out of nowhere all the time and win us games, especially with sub standard entries into F50.
Like other clubs, our mids and wings need to be kicking goals also or at least hitting targets in the F50.

In my team this week I dropped Motlop to favour a tall forward line though, mainly to expose the Swans.

Sorry for the long post....

Last edited by Sidefx on Thu May 25, 2023 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 10:33 am 
Ken Hunter

Liam Stocker is living rent free in a lot of your heads isn't he?

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 11:40 am 
Harry Vallence

I'm hearing Jsos dropped.
If it's true and McGovern survives then that's more evidence that Vossy has his favourites even more selection UN integrity

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 12:05 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Paddycripps wrote:
Who the fkc is CHINKY?

london blue posted when cincotta was selected, his mates call him "Chinky"

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 12:28 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Sidefx wrote:
bondiblue wrote:

I thought the discussion from the bb stats was the small forwards, who should be avenues to goal but haven't been for a long while. I don't blame the wings and mids for that.

So, outside of Owies, you're happy with the 2nd and 3rd small forwards because ... the stats bb provided from afl.com support that?

Miracle workers? The smalls? I don't think I can let them off so lightly. I saw their impact as targets in the forwardline vs Dogs with the big dogs playing away from goal.

I think 3 smalls is at least one too many. I feel having 2 developing smalls in a team who cant afford to faulter is playing Russian Roulette by playing them, and something we do week in week out and it doesnt work.

No drama. I'm only guessing. For all I know they are perfecting Vossy's instructions and are sound. I just cant see it and havent seen it for 6 weeks (apart from WCE)

This is not the week to judge them if Vossy selects them again. We will beat Swans with or without the 2 kids. I will be interested in their ooutput vs Swans even if we do win, but the folllowing weekend, watch out. This is the week we should be trying different chemistry.

Sadly I dont think Dow will get a go this week.

I thought the discussion was about output and positioning, with Billy stating they are not the problem. Same thing I guess.
Billy provided stats of our smalls output and compared them to some other key smalls in the league to show they are not going as bad as we would like to think.
Goals and tackles are only two of the six stats I’d use to assess the smalls performance though.
The other four are goal assists, goal accuracy, score involvements and pressure acts;

Durds
0.2 Goal assists
62.5% Goal accuracy
4 Score Involvements
13.6 Pressure acts

Motlop
0.4 Goal assists
53.3% Goal accuracy
4.1 Score Involvements
15.9 Pressure acts

Owies
0.4 Goal assists
73.3% Goal accuracy
4.2 Score Involvements
15.2 Pressure acts

vs

Hill
0.7 Goal assists
61.9% Goal accuracy
3.8 Score Involvements
13.2 Pressure acts

Papps
0.7 Goal assists
47.5% Goal accuracy
5.5 Score Involvements
13 Pressure acts

Spargo
1 Goal assists
90% Goal accuracy
4.4 Score Involvements
12.2 Pressure acts

Based on those numbers and the ones Billy provided they are doing what is expected of them in their roles, not outstanding like the rest of the team but doing their roles.
If you were to critique anything it’d be goal assists need to be better, but in a congested forward line those stats would be harder to get anyway.
Am I happy? We are not winning games so no.
Do I think they can do better? The whole team needs to do better.

As far as positioning goes, who knows what is expected of them, I and other supporters expect them to be at the feet of the talls all the time.
However, Voss has them running up and down the ground all game.
And as I’ve said, given we bomb the ball into Harry and Charlie most of the time, you’d assume they’ve been told to move their player away from them as much as possible.
Who knows.

Either way, we are so desperate to kick goals they are now copping flack, instead of our mids and wings that can’t kick goals or deliver the ball lace out to players in the F50.
It all starts from the middle and just bombing into the F50 is never going to win games for us.
Whether it’s our defensive game plan or lack of skill (both I think) our mids and wings are not up to it offensively and it’s unreasonable to expect the smalls to just magically pull goals out of nowhere all the time and win us games, especially with sub standard entries into F50.
Like other clubs, our mids and wings need to be kicking goals also or at least hitting targets in the F50.

In my team this week I dropped Motlop to favour a tall forward line though, mainly to expose the Swans.

Sorry for the long post....

Great post sidex. Much appreciated, but...

Those numbers are not the numbers they've produced in last 5 losing games. My focus is our losing form over the last 6 weeks.

My point is to not look at stats from the past or from the beginning of the year when we were tripping over wins against weakened opposition.

What is happening now and Durds and Mots is that they are not happening. Whether its coaching or not, they have not been involved in much at all. Hence, they seem to be part of the problem. I'd drop Motlop at the very least, not just to stretch Swans with height but because the addition to our bonafide form small forward in Owies, we shouldn't be risking games by selecting 2 developing players, unless they are all in form and winning their positions and performing the roles we need from them, and they aren't imo.

Our smalls are not asked to drag out their short opponents from our roosters. That's my educated guess is Vossy wants the smalls at the feet of the big boys collecting crumbs, furthermore this forward pressure game, which has been lacking a 6 weeks (excl WCE) is the role of the smalls. I do know they are running up and down with their opponents to provide opposition and fill leading lanes, but their primary role is in the forward line. Coaching vs Form? I think ts a bit of both. I love the pressure Owies puts on the opposition for no stats, plus he kicks goals.

Like Fisher, I dont think Motlop is in form to warrant the spot. If there's no pressure for spots or a next soldier like there was for Honey who was 5th in line, such was his luck, then Mots stays, but I think with cottrell at HF, Owies at FP and 3 talls, the other positions can be covered by others...who? Ed or Durdin, or both.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 1:05 pm 
Geoff Southby

bondiblue wrote:
Great post sidex. Much appreciated, but...

Those numbers are not the numbers they've produced in last 5 losing games. My focus is our losing form over the last 6 weeks.

My point is to not look at stats from the past or from the beginning of the year when we were tripping over wins against weakened opposition.

What is happening now and Durds and Mots is that they are not happening. Whether its coaching or not, they have not been involved in much at all. Hence, they seem to be part of the problem. I'd drop Motlop at the very least, not just to stretch Swans with height but because the addition to our bonafide form small forward in Owies, we shouldn't be risking games by selecting 2 developing players, unless they are all in form and winning their positions and performing the roles we need from them, and they aren't imo.

Our smalls are not asked to drag out their short opponents from our roosters. That's my educated guess is Vossy wants the smalls at the feet of the big boys collecting crumbs, furthermore this forward pressure game, which has been lacking a 6 weeks (excl WCE) is the role of the smalls. I do know they are running up and down with their opponents to provide opposition and fill leading lanes, but their primary role is in the forward line. Coaching vs Form? I think ts a bit of both. I love the pressure Owies puts on the opposition for no stats, plus he kicks goals.

Like Fisher, I dont think Motlop is in form to warrant the spot. If there's no pressure for spots or a next soldier like there was for Honey who was 5th in line, such was his luck, then Mots stays, but I think with cottrell at HF, Owies at FP and 3 talls, the other positions can be covered by others...who? Ed or Durdin, or both.

Correct they are their season numbers (except the pressure acts, I stuffed up and used career, but the season ones are better).
I didn't realise we were only talking about the last 5 games, AFL.com doesn't have the last 5 games as an option so I can only display what is available.
I know you are saying they are not asked to drag out their opponents, but if you look at last weeks game Durdin spent 50% of his time in the Defensive half of the ground and Motlop spent 45% of his time there also.
So it's pretty hard to have a forward pressure game or be at the feet of the talls if you aren't even in the F50.
As an educated guess I'd say Voss is 100% getting them to clear their players out of the F50 anticipating the long bomb as well as playing his whole team defence strategy.
This strategy obviously doesn't require all 3 smalls in there so they left Owies in there, who as a result spent 87% of his time in the forward half and kicked goals.

As I've stated and I'm unsure why you don't want to rest blame on them, but our issues are the midfield and wings not playing their roles offensively.
For me, the issues with the smalls are at the end of the chain, not the start and until we change the start we can't expect the end to change.
I guess we will have to agree to disagree based on a what comes first, the chicken or the egg argument.

As for Cottrell at HF, I'd rather him either on a wing or tagging.
At HF you waste his running power and speed, unless we keep the 2/3 smalls in the F50 and he does the defensive work for them instead.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 1:10 pm 
Geoff Southby

Interesting stat Leigh Montagna brought up about Callum Sinclair a player very similar to Saad
In first quarters he spends around 80% at half back 20% midfield
By the last quarter those percentages are reversed

Why can’t Saad do a similar thing?

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 1:21 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Fair call because we have no speed off HB without Saad.

We play this stagnant game plan transitioning off HB because we have no speed in midfield or off HB to get separation to move the ball.

Adam Saad is the cog in our system and other teams know it. We’re missing Zac Williams more than we care to admit. McGovern is being instructed to stay back or just isn’t putting in the required work as he has the kicking skills and the pace to assist with this.

Walsh was trying to run the ball out of HB and got caught HTB because he had nothing to go to quickly and the Pies’ pressure was good.

We get the ball at HB and we can’t transition it quickly to throw the opposition’s system into disarray by which time they set up down the line and we’re toast.

Hollands is light but he was giving us options. Acres just panics and boots it long unthinkingly.

- Igor Stravinsky

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 1:48 pm 
Robert Walls

bondiblue wrote:
Paddycripps wrote:
Who the fkc is CHINKY?

london blue posted when cincotta was selected, his mates call him "Chinky"

That's funny, because I heard his nickname around the club is actually "Cinc" (pronounced "sink"). :? This Twitter post is very confusing as it has the pronunciation as "Chin", but the nickname as "Cinc":

https://twitter.com/CarltonFC/status/1652958229398454277

"Sink" has probably jus come from people mispronouncing his name, just like Pittonet - who has stated in an interview that his name is actually pronounced Pit-toh-nee - but said that he is so used to it being pronounced Pit-toh-net that he doesn't bother correcting people anymore.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 2:04 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

rumour
TDK in for JSOS
Hewitt for ED
Binns for Holland
Fisher for Mots
Mots sub

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 2:24 pm 
Geoff Southby

I am strangely ok with this rumour

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 2:33 pm 
Geoff Southby

Sydney Blue wrote:
rumour
TDK in for JSOS
Hewitt for ED
Binns for Holland
Fisher for Mots
Mots sub

I"m OK with that . Kemp sub hopefully .

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 2:56 pm 
Harry Vallence

I'm hoping for

Kemp for McGovern
Hewett for Ed
Binns for Hollands
TDK for Jack
Dow in for Durdin or Motlop Sub
I'd love to see Cincotta back as well so we stop playing Kennedy & Cerra in defence

and importantly a much better effort and game plan

Last edited by FarmerBlue on Thu May 25, 2023 3:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 2:56 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

keogh wrote:
Interesting stat Leigh Montagna brought up about Callum Sinclair a player very similar to Saad
In first quarters he spends around 80% at half back 20% midfield
By the last quarter those percentages are reversed

That's a pretty good effort for a 33 year old retired ruckman. :razz:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 238 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next