Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:28 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 238 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 7:38 pm 
Bruce Doull

Mickstar wrote:
bluehammer wrote:
Durdin and Motlop have been poor in their positioning. Durdin has worked hard to impact the game.

These guys are NEVER front and centre of the forwards where they should be. Always outnumbered and outskilled at the fall of the ball and if Charlie or Harry don't mark/free kick, they are nowhere to be seen.

It's a hard trade to find form in if you aren't ever in the right spots.

We either have dumb players, dumb coaches, a dumb gameplan or all of the above

We are dumb.

Both need to go back to the magoo's .They have had an armchair ride .

Who replaces them?

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 7:41 pm 
Harry Vallence

GWS wrote:
Dodo27 wrote:
Was going through some Stats for this year so far, and immediately I picked up something quite Alarming.....

1- Our Ruckmen have only kicked 1 Goal for the entire Season between them. This Proves that Pittonet is not working hard enough and is not pushing forward to provide an alternative Target to the Big 2 Boys. De Koning was also not hitting the Scoreboard when he was in the Team. Appalling effort

2- Our midfielders are not kicking enough Goals at all. There is far too much reliance on the Two Towers.

What on earth are the Coaching Panels doing about it? :banghead: :banghead:

Excellent spotting!

I’ve sent your post to them.

No doubt now that they realise the issue they’ll fix it for next week.

Good job! :thumbsup:

Don't bother.... The club is full of experts, apparently they know better. Vossy does not accept any feedback either

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 7:50 pm 
Geoff Southby

grrofunger wrote:
Mickstar wrote:
bluehammer wrote:
Durdin and Motlop have been poor in their positioning. Durdin has worked hard to impact the game.

These guys are NEVER front and centre of the forwards where they should be. Always outnumbered and outskilled at the fall of the ball and if Charlie or Harry don't mark/free kick, they are nowhere to be seen.

We are dumb.

Who replaces them?

No one . Rejig the forward line coz the current setup is not working . I have already suggested Kemp . The resting onballers can take up the slack .

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 7:53 pm 
Bruce Doull

Mickstar wrote:
grrofunger wrote:
Mickstar wrote:
bluehammer wrote:

We are dumb.

Who replaces them?

No one . Rejig the forward line coz the current setup is not working . I have already suggested Kemp . The resting onballers can take up the slack .

I agree putting Kemp up there and replacing SOS

But we need small forwards too

I think giving them some decent structure and a plan would be helpful

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 7:55 pm 
Rod Ashman

Good that Voss looked completely pissed off in his press conference. However, I would assume he’s been that way behind closed doors for a few weeks now.
The question is will he maintain a similar team and challenge them to do better. Or will he drop a few of the worst offenders and make a stand on standards and non-negotiables.
This far, he has opted for option 1.
I think he’ll mostly do that but make some practical changes:
Out: McGovern, JSOS
In: Kemp, TDK

I also have come to believe that Dow should get a block of games on the basis that he has been killing it in the VFL and there are a few who should be vulnerable in our AFL team. I’d bring in Dow and drop Ed or maybe Hollands. Probably Hollands for a couple of weeks, esp if there’s a run with role for Ed against the Swans and Demons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 8:03 pm 
Geoff Southby

grrofunger wrote:
Mickstar wrote:
grrofunger wrote:
Mickstar wrote:
bluehammer wrote:

We are dumb.

Who replaces them?

OK play Durdin ........................... structure ? to a point i will agree . But those really toppling small forwards play on instinct . They are uncanny the good ones . And Durdin and Motlop just do not have that inherent quality . Don't get me wrong , i reckon both have got plenty of hustle and bustle . And agro which i particularly like . Hope i'm wrong but in the short term its go back and learn your trade in the magoo's .

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 8:12 pm 
Geoff Southby

Interesting to hear Blue Vain’s thoughts
Must be on holidays
Same applies to King Kerna and Car’n the blues

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 8:55 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Two words:

Selection integrity.

- Igor Stravinsky

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 2:08 am 
Rod Ashman

Half the team deserves to be dropped, but that is impractical. One option...

Out: Durdin, Motlop, Boyd
In: Dow, Binns, De Koning

B: Newman, Young, McGovern
HB: Docherty, Weitering, Saad
C: Acres, Cripps, Cottrell
HF: Kennedy, McKay, Owies
F: C. Curnow, De Koning, Walsh
Foll: Pittonet, Cerra, Dow
Int: Silvagni, Hewett, E. Curnow, Binns
Sub: Hollands

Boyd was not ready. Bring De Koning in and put him forward to stretch their defenders. Start Walsh forward to give them someone else to worry about. Dow can start in the midfield. Silvagni and Hewett can backup the defenders. Give Hollands a rest and give Binns a go.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 9:40 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

grrofunger wrote:
Mickstar wrote:
grrofunger wrote:
Mickstar wrote:
bluehammer wrote:

We are dumb.

Who replaces them?

We need a real threat to take marks and kick goals. im afraid neither do this. TDK is more threatening that both imo.

Cottrell, Ed and Owies are plenty enough smalls in the forwardline.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 9:46 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

malbi wrote:
Half the team deserves to be dropped, but that is impractical. One option...

Out: Durdin, Motlop, Boyd
In: Dow, Binns, De Koning

B: Newman, Young, McGovern
HB: Docherty, Weitering, Saad
C: Acres, Cripps, Cottrell
HF: Kennedy, McKay, Owies
F: C. Curnow, De Koning, Walsh
Foll: Pittonet, Cerra, Dow
Int: Silvagni, Hewett, E. Curnow, Binns
Sub: Hollands

Boyd was not ready. Bring De Koning in and put him forward to stretch their defenders. Start Walsh forward to give them someone else to worry about. Dow can start in the midfield. Silvagni and Hewett can backup the defenders. Give Hollands a rest and give Binns a go.

Gov looked like he's checked out and looks like he's avoiding body contact to avoid injury and be ready for a new contract next year wherever. He needs to be sent a message. Would rather Kemp or SOS play BP, and see if Gov can help our forwards, not as the 3rd tall, but as a marking HF. If Gov stays, Vossy should eye ball him and tell him we need more from him, and last week's effort. or lack of, was putrid and unacceptable.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 11:08 am 
Robert Walls

I imagine it will be steady-as-she-goes, back the boys in to execute, etc.

But I'd like to see something change:

Docherty - Young - Newman
Saad - Silvagni - Boyd
Cottrell - Hewitt - Binns
Walsh - McKay - Cerra
Kennedy - C.Curnow - Owies

Pittonet - Dow - Cripps

TDK - Kemp - E. Curnow - McGovern
Sub: Acres

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 11:19 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

17th Premiership wrote:
Good that Voss looked completely pissed off in his press conference. However, I would assume he’s been that way behind closed doors for a few weeks now.
The question is will he maintain a similar team and challenge them to do better. Or will he drop a few of the worst offenders and make a stand on standards and non-negotiables.

I also have come to believe that Dow should get a block of games on the basis that he has been killing it in the VFL and there are a few who should be vulnerable in our AFL team. I’d bring in Dow and drop Ed or maybe Hollands. Probably Hollands for a couple of weeks, esp if there’s a run with role for Ed against the Swans and Demons.

This

Dow for Hollands
Kemp for McGovern
TDK for JSOS

Voss needs the midfield coach to figure out why we win hard ball at stoppages but don't convert to stoppages. This is one of our biggest problems. Our set up around the ball is simply not working and these guys need to fkn figure this shit out.

That should help us get going more on the outside which then should help our forwards find a bit more separation.

Then the deliverers need to kick better.

The skills have fallen away because the game plan / set ups are flawed.

Coaches need to fix this up then it should flow on to the players executing better.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 12:01 pm 
Bert Deacon

grrofunger wrote:
Mickstar wrote:
bluehammer wrote:

We are dumb.

Who replaces them?

If we're talking small forwards, Durds, Mots and Owies are it. So no one.
We already have a problem with keeping the ball in the F50, which is part of the plan. Our smalls aren't the problem.

Durds:
Goals: 1.1 Average (according to AFL.com)
Tackles: 4 Elite (perhaps Pickett the only one with more, 4.8)

Mots:
Goals: 0.9 Average
Tackles: 3 Above average

Owies:
Goals 2.2 Elite (Charlie 2.8; Higgins 2.2)
Tackles: 1 Below average (Down a bit this year -his career average with Blues, 3.06)

And remember, our mostly young blokes are operating in a dysfunctional team and forward line.
But people like to go for easy targets

Some of the others:

Elliot:
Goals: 1 Average

Bobby Hill:
Goals: 1.3 Above average
Tackles: 2 Below average

Papps:
Goals: 1.9 Above average

Spargo
Tackles: 1.7 Below average

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 12:06 pm 
Robert Walls

Paddycripps wrote:
17th Premiership wrote:

This

Dow for Hollands
Kemp for McGovern
TDK for JSOS

Voss needs the midfield coach to figure out why we win hard ball at stoppages but don't convert to stoppages. This is one of our biggest problems. Our set up around the ball is simply not working and these guys need to fkn figure this shit out.

That should help us get going more on the outside which then should help our forwards find a bit more separation.

Then the deliverers need to kick better.

The skills have fallen away because the game plan / set ups are flawed.

Coaches need to fix this up then it should flow on to the players executing better.

Yeah I don't mind this - I'd probably swap Hewett onto the ground and make LOB :yikes: sub which means Ed would also miss out.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 12:10 pm 
Geoff Southby

Good stats and good point Billy.
The biggest issue we have with our forward line and movement is we kick the ball to the same talls, expect the smalls to be there while also dragging their players into the mess and miraculously kick goals or contain the ball.
All while our mids and wings are doing jack......this is an area that takes the pressure off of the forward line and is as much a defence first strategy issue as it is a player issue.
We need a strategy and player change up in the next couple of weeks to find some other avenues and players to kick goals, otherwise this season is as good as done (which I think it is anyway, unfortunately).

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 1:04 pm 
Ken Hands

I hate being a pessimist because I love this club , have supported my blue boys for 55+ years, but on current form I can only see 4 more wins for the season, Swans , Hawks, Eagles and Giants . I really hope that I’m wrong and I know things can turn around quickly, but I’m currently really struggling for positivity. As I said, I really hope we can turn things around, and quickly.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 2:23 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

billy_bongo wrote:
grrofunger wrote:
Mickstar wrote:
bluehammer wrote:

We are dumb.

Who replaces them?

If we're talking small forwards, Durds, Mots and Owies are it. So no one.
We already have a problem with keeping the ball in the F50, which is part of the plan. Our smalls aren't the problem.

Durds:
Goals: 1.1 Average (according to AFL.com)
Tackles: 4 Elite (perhaps Pickett the only one with more, 4.8)

Mots:
Goals: 0.9 Average

Owies:
Goals 2.2 Elite (Charlie 2.8; Higgins 2.2)
Tackles: 1 Below average (Down a bit this year -his career average with Blues, 3.06)

And remember, our mostly young blokes are operating in a dysfunctional team and forward line.
But people like to go for easy targets

Some of the others:

Elliot:
Goals: 1 Average

Bobby Hill:
Tackles: 2 Below average

Papps:
Goals: 1.9 Above average

Spargo
Tackles: 1.7 Below average

Good to see real numbers bb. Are they career numbers? All of 2023?
I'd love to see the whole picture: kicks, handballs, & marks, and efficiency. It hasnt been great for last 6 weeks.

I had a look at their output over the last 6 weeks (not incl WCE) and come to the same conclusion, Mots and Durds are not in good form, and they should be accountable for that. They are no easy targets for our current quagmire, they just appear to be part of the problem for ample and commonly suggested reasons given by posters. We are all looking for clues, not scapegoats. I'm sure no one would disagree their last 6 weeks (minus WCE) have been poor. That's the point.

Look how long it took for Fish fans to look at his output this year, only to realise he wasn't playing well after he was dropped and watched his VFL output: calling for easy handballs, running into trouble, having to go backwards, slowing down forward momentum.... . I'm not going to be an apologist for Mots and Durds. They are playing with the big boys and will be judged like big boys.

Owies has been the best small forward for the last couple years. It was proven we really didnt need 4 small forwards (Fisher incl). Do we really need 3 small forwards with the numbers they have been producing for the last 6 weeks? I can't make a case for them TBH. If Durds was running through with the mids...maybe...but he's not. I know they are only 20yo's and developing, but I prefer developing to be done in the reserves.

I dont think we have the luxury to be carrying players (for development or because of career averages) when we are looking for 8 more wins with only 13 games left to play.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 2:36 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Sidefx wrote:
Good stats and good point Billy.
The biggest issue we have with our forward line and movement is we kick the ball to the same talls, expect the smalls to be there while also dragging their players into the mess and miraculously kick goals or contain the ball.
All while our mids and wings are doing jack......this is an area that takes the pressure off of the forward line and is as much a defence first strategy issue as it is a player issue.
We need a strategy and player change up in the next couple of weeks to find some other avenues and players to kick goals, otherwise this season is as good as done (which I think it is anyway, unfortunately).

We need 8 wins from the next 13 games. I think we will win against Swans, and not because Durds and Mots plays. We have to get our game sorted out now, unless we can do a Collingwood and win our last 8 in a row.

These two 19 & 20yo's are not in form, and they will be covered by Lloyd, Fox and Cuningham. The Swans backs are no slouches. Good luck our two boys becoming the new avenues this week....and then there's next week against the Dees when they face Hibberd, Salem and Mcvee.

If our 2 boys ARE the best "avenues" to goal we can muster, then good luck to them and the team. They have not been at Charlie Harry and Jacks feet when they know we are going to be bombing it long to the talls, so I'm not confident theses kids will be given a chance to be learning to be the avenues to goal against seasoned defenders.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 4:20 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

We should win this. If you think Carlton are poor then Sydney are shit.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 238 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next