Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:29 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 238 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 9:11 am 
Rod Ashman

SurreyBlue wrote:
McGovern, Weitering both should have gone before Young.
Dow's non selection is just embarrassing for the match committee. I won't just single out Voss.
Thank goodness Kemp is back in and TdK for JSoS is probably right. As much as SoS gives him all and leaves nothing behind, he really needed to take those marks and kick the goals. Hopefully it won't be the end for him as well at CFC.

Great post - all of it

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 9:15 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

london blue wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:
McGovern, Weitering both should have gone before Young.
Dow's non selection is just embarrassing for the match committee. I won't just single out Voss.
Thank goodness Kemp is back in and TdK for JSoS is probably right. As much as SoS gives him all and leaves nothing behind, he really needed to take those marks and kick the goals. Hopefully it won't be the end for him as well at CFC.

Great post - all of it

Yep

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 10:05 am 
Bob Chitty

abit surprised about young ... but he is hesitant with the ball, and we want to drive attack from defense, so his hesitancy seems counterintuitive .. not that he has been doing it, but this is where McGovern can be great.

having said that weitering hasn't been much better than young and could consider himself lucky.

not sure why everyone keeps referring to Motlop/Durdin getting dropped and Dow coming in for him ...

Our midfield is Cripps, Walsh, Cerra, Hewitt, Kennedy, Docherty He needs to replace one of them in the side, not a small forward ...

SOS for TDK makes sense. don't think we can have both on the side, and the person demanding selection should be in. big fan of SOS but hasn't been amazing (he isn't alone)

Still feel like Hollands needs a rest ... hasn't been great (and that certainly isn't a slight on him, kid is great, but he is a kid and struggling with the fitness side of it) and with Cotters and Acres in the side gives us the opportunity to rest him.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 10:42 am 
Stephen Kernahan

GWS wrote:
I haven’t seen any VFL but has anyone calling for Dow’s inclusion actually watched him play whole games or just gone by the highlights and stats because I could be wrong but it seems those who regularly watch VFL aren’t quite as keen.

Not saying he shouldn’t get a game just that the general opinion seems to be mixed.
Exactly.

Asked a similar question a few weeks back. I don't watch VFL. I couldn't care less how many possessions he gets or this mythical 'breakaway speed from the contest' that I've never seen in his time at AFL and doubt many have seen in the VFL.

So perhaps anyone calling for Dow's inclusion, could you at least qualify whether you've seen him play at VFL level, and to what extent?

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 10:47 am 
Bruce Doull

Did anyone who is complaining about Young being dropped watch the last few games, particularly the Collingwood game?

He's been struggling and a run in the 2's is probably the best thing for him right now.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 11:03 am 
Rod Ashman

Wojee wrote:
Did anyone who is complaining about Young being dropped watch the last few games, particularly the Collingwood game?

He's been struggling and a run in the 2's is probably the best thing for him right now.

Certainly very hesitant when kicking. At times appears afraid to kick it to anyone with an opponent within eyesight. He is one of the reasons we are slow out of defence.
Weitering is really laboring and I get the feeling he is playing sore. Appears really slow in his reaction time and response. Also doesn't appear to be providing leadership down back. I have felt for a while now that when Docherty is not down back, our defence appears unsettled and lacking cohesion.
McGovern had a shocker on the weekend but he has been OK prior.

I think Kemp in is a good move

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 12:31 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Bloody freezing here in Sydney today.

Blustery too.

Players might do well to run to stay warm and keep on moving rather than playing kick to kick like they’ve been doing for a few weeks.

- Igor Stravinsky

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 12:46 pm 
Harry Vallence

bluehammer wrote:
GWS wrote:
I haven’t seen any VFL but has anyone calling for Dow’s inclusion actually watched him play whole games or just gone by the highlights and stats because I could be wrong but it seems those who regularly watch VFL aren’t quite as keen.

Not saying he shouldn’t get a game just that the general opinion seems to be mixed.
Exactly.

Asked a similar question a few weeks back. I don't watch VFL. I couldn't care less how many possessions he gets or this mythical 'breakaway speed from the contest' that I've never seen in his time at AFL and doubt many have seen in the VFL.

So perhaps anyone calling for Dow's inclusion, could you at least qualify whether you've seen him play at VFL level, and to what extent?

I have seen enough of him to say he reads the aerial contest of ruckman better than anyone on our list. The midfielders you mentioned are not doing that. None of them can take it away on the full ... they wait for the ball to bounce.

The sharking off throw ins and ball ups near goal is non existent from Durdin , Motlop and Owies.

For me, Dow goes into midfield to enhance our take away from stoppages and Walsh on a wing. The latter is far more dangerous on the wing. We could play through him like Collingwood do with Sidebottom.

Keep things the same ... pray for some luck

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 12:50 pm 
Geoff Southby

Whether we as supporters think the list is good or not good enough to match it with the better teams in the comp the bottom line we have been very ordinary for a year
Below average
You’re average or better if you can match it with the opposition between the 50 m arcs.

Voss refuses to change things up other than putting Kennedy or Cerra at half back

Whilst Dows career has been ordinary the fact that he doesn’t get a senior game when the mid field mix isn’t working is beyond belief
This is why I won’t pay up to be an interstate member
Where is the transparency
It’s treating supporters with contempt
Binns deserves a game as well
Cincotta was given the arse after one bad game
Too soon
Voss is very stubborn

As for McGovern being favored over Young
Well I get why that’s the case
McG is a better user and The Swans key positions have been decimated by injury but as usual the club doesn’t look at the big picture the long term

Bryce Gibbs was never dropped at Carlton despite constantly not putting his body on the line
If you want a good culture you don’t accept some human behaviours
Young like Dow should feel a bit hard done by

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 12:54 pm 
Craig Bradley

GWS wrote:

Spot on.

The drover’s dog could get those touches. Probably do more with them as well.

Dow chose this path when he opted in to another year.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 1:15 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

ScottSaunders2 wrote:
abit surprised about young ... but he is hesitant with the ball, and we want to drive attack from defense, so his hesitancy seems counterintuitive .. not that he has been doing it, but this is where McGovern can be great.

having said that weitering hasn't been much better than young and could consider himself lucky.

not sure why everyone keeps referring to Motlop/Durdin getting dropped and Dow coming in for him ...

Our midfield is Cripps, Walsh, Cerra, Hewitt, Kennedy, Docherty He needs to replace one of them in the side, not a small forward ...

SOS for TDK makes sense. don't think we can have both on the side, and the person demanding selection should be in. big fan of SOS but hasn't been amazing (he isn't alone)

Still feel like Hollands needs a rest ... hasn't been great (and that certainly isn't a slight on him, kid is great, but he is a kid and struggling with the fitness side of it) and with Cotters and Acres in the side gives us the opportunity to rest him.

I'm sure you havent read the discussion. Its self explanatory. The Mots Durds theme is about form and having 3 small forwards. The Dow one is a separate discussion. You have packaged them as one and the same.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 1:17 pm 
Wayne Johnston

Cold, wet and windy around the SCG but rain should clear by late afternoon and wind die down around the start of the match. Conditions will be damp and cold

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 1:22 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

CarltonClem wrote:
Bloody freezing here in Sydney today.

Blustery too.

Players might do well to run to stay warm and keep on moving rather than playing kick to kick like they’ve been doing for a few weeks.

Hey Clem, I just came back from your way at Pacific Square, and its blowing from north west. Wind isnt from the south. Its warmer than you think. Yes it has been cold in the mornings, not freezing. I'm in a T shirt, shorts and thongs.

Turn that heater off. Maybe that's why its cold when you're outside.

Melbourne and Tasmania is freezing. Players will think its Spring when compared to Melbourne's temperatures of late.

Sprinkled for a minute or two an hour ago. Not enough rain the get anything wet.

Obviously weather changing by the half hour. Wind has died down now.

I've got tilers putting on a new roof on the next storey. They say its fine up there.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 1:24 pm 
Rod Ashman

Crusader wrote:
GWS wrote:

Spot on.

Were there other clubs willing to trade for him? Seems odd someone would chose to stay if they were told that there opportunity would be nil

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 1:27 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

DesEnglish wrote:
Crusader wrote:
GWS wrote:

Spot on.

Were there other clubs willing to trade for him? Seems odd someone would chose to stay if they were told that there opportunity would be nil

Swans were prepared to talk about the Trade. Dow wasn't interested going to Sydney. He had great mates he has made at Carlton.

Dow would be getting a game with Swans today if he chose to go where he was wanted last year and Setterfield would be on our list.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 1:35 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

4 things to expect from tonight's game according to SEN

Quote:
Hayden McLean to kick a goal

Sydney tall Hayden McLean has goaled in all four of his last games and he’ll hope to extend that streak to five against the Blues.

With Lewis Young out of the side and Jacob Weitering likely to take Lance Franklin, McLean could benefit from playing on a defender he should have a considerable height advantage against.

Don’t expect him to dominate, but the 24-year-old should kick one major at the SCG on Friday night.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/05/26/the-4-certainties-for-sydney-versus-carlton/

Kemp or Gov will have their hands full. My biggest worry in a game I expect us to win by 10 goals.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 1:48 pm 
Rod Ashman

GWS wrote:

I don't need to watch the VFL. Others kindly do that for us. I just watch the garbage that the seniors are putting out and say that something needs to change.

Dow did win the Reserves B&F last year. He is on track to win it again this year. He has played one full senior game in a year and a half (a few others where he was sub). Our midfield is playing poorly despite the stars that we have in the side. It needs a shake up. We seem to think that doing the same thing week after week will give us different results.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 2:00 pm 
Geoff Southby

Just my a hole opinion but if you devise a game plan say 2 years ago, surely you have some flexibility with it over the course Youd also think at some point it has to be horses for courses due to the opposition match ups.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 2:00 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

I can only assume Dow was given an ultimatum last year during trade week to go elsewhere or not be selected in seniors and he chose to back himself to force his way in. The club meanwhile is sticking to their threat.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 2:40 pm 
Rod Ashman

keogh wrote:
Whether we as supporters think the list is good or not good enough to match it with the better teams in the comp the bottom line we have been very ordinary for a year
Below average
You’re average or better if you can match it with the opposition between the 50 m arcs.

Voss refuses to change things up other than putting Kennedy or Cerra at half back

Whilst Dows career has been ordinary the fact that he doesn’t get a senior game when the mid field mix isn’t working is beyond belief
This is why I won’t pay up to be an interstate member
Where is the transparency
It’s treating supporters with contempt
Binns deserves a game as well
Cincotta was given the arse after one bad game
Too soon
Voss is very stubborn

As for McGovern being favored over Young
Well I get why that’s the case
McG is a better user and The Swans key positions have been decimated by injury but as usual the club doesn’t look at the big picture the long term

Bryce Gibbs was never dropped at Carlton despite constantly not putting his body on the line
If you want a good culture you don’t accept some human behaviours
Young like Dow should feel a bit hard done by

So how many games have you seen Dow and Binns play?

I thought the criticism is that we can't seem to win games now! Surely you play your best team to win today. Development occurs in the 2's.

And I'm not sure what you mean by Transparency? Do you want the conversations that are held within 4 walls to be emailed directly to you for comment?

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 238 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next