Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:11 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 238 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 8:26 pm 
Geoff Southby

Blue Vain wrote:
keogh wrote:
Interesting stat Leigh Montagna brought up about Callum Sinclair a player very similar to Saad
In first quarters he spends around 80% at half back 20% midfield
By the last quarter those percentages are reversed

That's a pretty good effort for a 33 year old retired ruckman. :razz:

Good to see your back
Yes obviously Jack
Just wanted to see if you were awake
How do you think we are traveling
Any valid points I have made over the last 18 years
And tell me how does McGovern get a game this week
Maybe Lewis Young squibbed it twice

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 8:30 pm 
Geoff Southby

Blue Vain wrote:
FarmerBlue wrote:
I'm hoping for

Kemp for McGovern
Hewett for Ed
Binns for Hollands
TDK for Jack
Dow in for Durdin or Motlop Sub
I'd love to see Cincotta back as well so we stop playing Kennedy & Cerra in defence

and importantly a much better effort and game plan

The effort has been fine IMO.
Our players run hard defensively and offensively they work hard as well but our total game is too focussed on contest. We win the ball, wait for numbers to get forward, kick to a contest and try to win it.
Nothing will change until we move the ball quicker. There's lots of posters wanting mass changes to the team on a weekly basis and a total list overhaul but our list is in good shape IMHO. We could run out with Collingwood's players this week but if they were expected to play the same game style, we'd lose by as much if not more.

We don't challenge the opposition. We allow our players to set up downfield but we're also allowing the opposition to do the same. Our method of moving the ball upfield is to kick to a contest or to go around the opposition. The best teams go through the opposition. They take possession and hit up 15/20m passes upfield before the opposition can fill that space. They don't allow you to zone. And if you do they'll shift it and disorganise you. Look at how quickly Collingwood/Port etc get the ball to boot. They utilise the stand rule beautifully with low flat kicks that create chaos for the oppositions structure.
Our idea of shifting a zone or retaining possession is kicking backwards or sideways. We're 3rd in the AFL for disposals per game yet we're 16th for metres gained per disposal. Only NM and Hawthorn are worse.

I admire that Vossy wants a contested game style but we need gears when we win it. We're all or nothing. We either crab our way around the field or we bite off high risk corridor balls. Where's the nuance? Instead of running to contest, our players should be running to space. And when they do, kick the @#$%&! ball to them.
Instead we're petrified of not being set up behind the ball if it doesn't work. Well if our defenders cant cope without the rest of the team bailing them out, turn them over. We need to accept that risk is part of the game and to move on if you make a mistake. No one exposes themselves more than Collingwood but it's working alright for them. If they turn it over, they try to get 2 back.
Challenge the opposition. Take time away from them. Run to space. If you don't receive the ball, at least you will draw an opponent which will create a hole elsewhere. And it has to be whole ground. Instead of the small forward/mids running to a contest inside 50, lead back at the kicker for a bloody change.
Nothing will improve until we move the ball quicker. It's not about personnel, selection integrity, board composition, any of them. IMHO, it's about ball speed and challenging the opposition. Because at the moment, we're far too easy to play against. And that is all about method, not effort or personnel.

We haven’t the ability to move it quicker
Don’t you realise this

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 8:42 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Staggered that effort from McNuggets was acceptable. Feeling worse I'm on the same wavelength as keogh.

Left wing moralists
In self serving denial
They shit me no end

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 8:49 pm 
Geoff Southby

This Dow non selection could be a blessing in disguise . Straight swap for Billings who can't get a go at the Saints . Billings is a dead set HFFlanker with class . I would be happy with that .

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 8:50 pm 
Ken Hunter

McGovern, Weitering both should have gone before Young.
Dow's non selection is just embarrassing for the match committee. I won't just single out Voss.
Thank goodness Kemp is back in and TdK for JSoS is probably right. As much as SoS gives him all and leaves nothing behind, he really needed to take those marks and kick the goals. Hopefully it won't be the end for him as well at CFC.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 8:58 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

keogh wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
FarmerBlue wrote:
I'm hoping for

Kemp for McGovern
Hewett for Ed
Binns for Hollands
TDK for Jack
I'd love to see Cincotta back as well so we stop playing Kennedy & Cerra in defence

Our players run hard defensively and offensively they work hard as well but our total game is too focussed on contest. We win the ball, wait for numbers to get forward, kick to a contest and try to win it.
Nothing will change until we move the ball quicker. There's lots of posters wanting mass changes to the team on a weekly basis and a total list overhaul but our list is in good shape IMHO. We could run out with Collingwood's players this week but if they were expected to play the same game style, we'd lose by as much if not more.

We don't challenge the opposition. We allow our players to set up downfield but we're also allowing the opposition to do the same. Our method of moving the ball upfield is to kick to a contest or to go around the opposition. The best teams go through the opposition. They take possession and hit up 15/20m passes upfield before the opposition can fill that space. They don't allow you to zone. And if you do they'll shift it and disorganise you. Look at how quickly Collingwood/Port etc get the ball to boot. They utilise the stand rule beautifully with low flat kicks that create chaos for the oppositions structure.
Our idea of shifting a zone or retaining possession is kicking backwards or sideways. We're 3rd in the AFL for disposals per game yet we're 16th for metres gained per disposal. Only NM and Hawthorn are worse.

I admire that Vossy wants a contested game style but we need gears when we win it. We're all or nothing. We either crab our way around the field or we bite off high risk corridor balls. Where's the nuance? Instead of running to contest, our players should be running to space. And when they do, kick the @#$%&! ball to them.
Instead we're petrified of not being set up behind the ball if it doesn't work. Well if our defenders cant cope without the rest of the team bailing them out, turn them over. We need to accept that risk is part of the game and to move on if you make a mistake. No one exposes themselves more than Collingwood but it's working alright for them. If they turn it over, they try to get 2 back.
Challenge the opposition. Take time away from them. Run to space. If you don't receive the ball, at least you will draw an opponent which will create a hole elsewhere. And it has to be whole ground. Instead of the small forward/mids running to a contest inside 50, lead back at the kicker for a bloody change.
Nothing will improve until we move the ball quicker. It's not about personnel, selection integrity, board composition, any of them. IMHO, it's about ball speed and challenging the opposition. Because at the moment, we're far too easy to play against. And that is all about method, not effort or personnel.

Don’t you realise this

I disagree. Don't you realise this?

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 9:00 pm 
Wayne Johnston

I think Young will come in for Gov or Doch who it will turn out are injured.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 9:04 pm 
Ken Hunter

club29 wrote:

I hope you are rignt club but it's got to be Gov. Problem is we have little run on the bench for Doc being a late out and Fog does not fill me with confidence.

Last edited by SurreyBlue on Thu May 25, 2023 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 9:08 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

SurreyBlue wrote:
McGovern, Weitering both should have gone before Young.
Dow's non selection is just embarrassing for the match committee. I won't just single out Voss.
Thank goodness Kemp is back in and TdK for JSoS is probably right. As much as SoS gives him all and leaves nothing behind, he really needed to take those marks and kick the goals. Hopefully it won't be the end for him as well at CFC.

No place for a player who shits himself with ball in hand. His marking alone isn't enough

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 9:10 pm 
Bruce Doull

Hope Fogarty is the sub. Got a feeling he'd be good for the role

Sent from my Nokia G21 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 9:52 pm 
Robert Walls

SurreyBlue wrote:
club29 wrote:

I hope you are rignt club but it's got to be Gov. Problem is we have little run on the bench for Doc being a late out and Fog does not feel me with confidence.

Give him a bit of time and patience and he'll be feeling you like a pro :lol: :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 11:04 pm 
Craig Bradley

Can’t help but wonder if dropping Young is some kind of self-fulfilling prophecy for Vossy.

We can’t score for shit, but Big Chief says it’s our defence that’s the problem.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 1:08 am 
Geoff Southby

Just wondering why bother to bust a gut in the vfl when you are not going to be rewarded.

If Dow is not going to get a game let the supporters know why Could almost add Binns to that.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 1:59 am 
Rod Ashman

Yet again we are let down by Voss and the MC. Dow is banging down the door every week and doesn't get a look-in. Meanwhile Durdin and Motlop continue to get a free pass. If we lose again the calls will get louder.

Glad to see Kemp and De Koning back in. Let's see what they can do.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 8:19 am 
Stephen Kernahan

I haven’t seen any VFL but has anyone calling for Dow’s inclusion actually watched him play whole games or just gone by the highlights and stats because I could be wrong but it seems those who regularly watch VFL aren’t quite as keen.

Not saying he shouldn’t get a game just that the general opinion seems to be mixed.

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 8:24 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Vain wrote:
keogh wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
FarmerBlue wrote:
I'm hoping for

Kemp for McGovern
Hewett for Ed
Binns for Hollands
TDK for Jack

Don’t you realise this

I disagree. Don't you realise this?

:lol: :lol: :lol: Touche

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 8:46 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

One of Ed, SOS, Young & Fog, will be named as Tactical Sub, and another held as an Emergency
Non of the above excite me as a sub:

Ed would come on as a running mid, or to tag a Parker or Heeney, but no pace to burn off tiring opponents
SOS would give us versatility but no pace to burn off tiring opponents
Young would give us an option to subdue the tall McLean at CHF, who seems too tall and big for Gov & Kempy
Fogarty, same as Ed. He should be in the 22 for the Swans. He's the least likely to be sub imo.

Who will be the sub? Emergency?

Expecting an early shower around lunch time, otherwise its an nice cool still & sunny morning. Beach weather.
Expecting wind to build up during the day. Windy night for forwards.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 8:59 am 
Stephen Kernahan

bondiblue wrote:
One of Ed, SOS, Young & Fog, will be named as Tactical Sub, and another held as an Emergency

Ed would come on as a running mid, or to tag a Parker or Heeney, but no pace to burn off tiring opponents
Young would give us an option to subdue the tall McLean at CHF, who seems too tall and big for Gov & Kempy
Fogarty, same as Ed. He should be in the 22 for the Swans. He's the least likely to be sub imo.

Expecting an early shower around lunch time, otherwise its an nice cool still & sunny morning. Beach weather.

I'd try TDK as a tall defender and McGovern forward. I don't like playing KPD as second ruck but Voss seemed willing to do it with Young so perhaps it would be worth the effort. McLean would be a good first up assignment.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 9:08 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Vain wrote:
bondiblue wrote:

I'd try TDK as a tall defender and McGovern forward. I don't like playing KPD as second ruck but Voss seemed willing to do it with Young so perhaps it would be worth the effort. McLean would be a good first up assignment.

Kemp and Gov are too small for McLean. Has to be TDK, or Young as sub incase the experiment doesn't work.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 9:09 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Weather has changed as expected

Overcast
Bloody windy
North East warmish wind

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 238 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next