Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 9:36 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 314 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 8:56 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

BamBam7 wrote:
Does anyone who regularly watches the VFL think Dow deserves to play? Asking as someone who doesn't watch the VFL.

I've read a few posts this year suggesting that he still just throws the ball on the boot and doesn't put much thought into his disposal.

Is it fair to conclude that he's a flat track bully? Dominates at VFL level without trying, but can't take the heat at AFL level?

If we do bring him back to the AFL, it might be smart to do it when we have a soft run of games to ease him into it. I reckon it would've been a disaster if we brought him back this week.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk
Watch a fair bit of VFL albeit on AFL app.
There is no questioning Dow when it comes to commitment. He gets a lot of the ball but it is what he does with it when he gets it.
Heaps of times he burst out the front of the stoppages and either turns it over by foot or gives hospital hand pass to player in worse position.
In the VFL you have a lot more time and space to make correct decisions. Dow is a 1 in 3 at this level.
He looks brilliant on the burst and often kicks running goals.

It's a shame really because he gets the ball is good by foot and hand he just makes poor decisions and if you do that at this level you get slaughtered in the AFL

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 1:50 pm 
Rod Ashman

Who else was at this game at VFL Park in 1977? :banghead:
Collingwood 22.20 (152) Carlton 7.8 (50)

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 1:52 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Coll have won 7 of their last 8 against us. Maybe time for a Carlton win?? Anyone??

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 2:06 pm 
Craig Bradley

Paddycripps wrote:
Coll have won 7 of their last 8 against us. Maybe time for a Carlton win?? Anyone??

Played 262
Carlton wins 128... draws 4... losses 130

We led the filth for decades until last season

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 2:12 pm 
Craig Bradley

https://twitter.com/heavehojo/status/1659394016746815493

Quor-nong v Yalla-birr-ang

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 3:18 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Hornet wrote:
Paddycripps wrote:

Played 262
Carlton wins 128... draws 4... losses 130

We led the filth for decades until last season
Still ahead on Grand finals?

:lol:

Go Blues

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 4:13 pm 
Robert Walls

mymanmurph wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
mymanmurph wrote:
Hewitt as a sub makes no sense why deplete out midfield.
Prefer Dow as a sub he would add a bit of reckless spark to our Vanilla midfield.
Boyd and cincotta both not up to it yet so whatever I guess. For the record I’d prefer Cincotta

I just got on TC after a very fantastic day.
I read your post first off the rank after reading final selections.
I wouldnt have agreed with you today, but right now, I see and like your proposition.
Maybe its because I know Dow isnt selected.

Big decision about Hewett.
I love what Hewett has brought to the team every game this year, even the Crows game, where scapegoats were aplenty.

But rotating Kennedy, Hewett, Cripps, Cerra... is a privilege, not a curse. If you're 23rd, you're IN!.

I guess I’d Prefer 90 minutes of Hewitt not 25-30.
have to back the MC but I honestly don’t think adding Dow into the mix would be as detrimental as everyone thinks. With current form he’s earned a 5-7 game stint.

I mean he's doing everything his captain is role modelling...like not running both ways
Of course he deserved a block of games...his non-selection is not healthy in the locker room...remember that Dow wlll have team mates who are feeling for him being made a pariah by Voss
MV is angry at him because he refused to be traded and as a result, we had to offload Setterfield
That goes to the character of MV...pig headed and vindictive!!!!!
FWIW...and I know I'll be in the minority, but Dow has more upside than Setterfield

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 4:17 pm 
Robert Walls

Sydney Blue wrote:
BamBam7 wrote:
Does anyone who regularly watches the VFL think Dow deserves to play? Asking as someone who doesn't watch the VFL.

I've read a few posts this year suggesting that he still just throws the ball on the boot and doesn't put much thought into his disposal.

Is it fair to conclude that he's a flat track bully? Dominates at VFL level without trying, but can't take the heat at AFL level?

If we do bring him back to the AFL, it might be smart to do it when we have a soft run of games to ease him into it. I reckon it would've been a disaster if we brought him back this week.

There is no questioning Dow when it comes to commitment. He gets a lot of the ball but it is what he does with it when he gets it.
Heaps of times he burst out the front of the stoppages and either turns it over by foot or gives hospital hand pass to player in worse position.
In the VFL you have a lot more time and space to make correct decisions. Dow is a 1 in 3 at this level.

It's a shame really because he gets the ball is good by foot and hand he just makes poor decisions and if you do that at this level you get slaughtered in the AFL

Except that we don't actually know because he's not being played at AFL level...we're just extrapolating with 1 full game and 1 sub's worth of evidence in the last 30 games

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 4:17 pm 
Ken Hunter

Do we really have to throw our Brownlow winning captain under the bus to save Paddy flippin' Dow?

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 4:23 pm 
Robert Walls

GreatEx wrote:
Do we really have to throw our Brownlow winning captain under the bus to save Paddy flippin' Dow?

You mean our Brownlow winning captain who goesn't have an ounce of leadership in him?...apart from, give it to me and I'll do it all on my own

And if it doesn't work on 10 occasions, my solution is to do it all on my own for the 11th time

"We're back, blues are back"

Yep...that one

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 4:26 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

99prelim wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:
BamBam7 wrote:

Except that we don't actually know because he's not being played at AFL level...we're just extrapolating with 1 full game and 1 sub's worth of evidence in the last 30 games

Well we have plenty of players basically doing the same thing already.
Obviously it isn't working too well for us but I'd say unfair to single out Dow as being any less deserving of a spot

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 5:04 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Sydney Blue wrote:
BamBam7 wrote:

I thought Dow's time was earlier in the season.
I think I saw him live 3 or 4 weeks in a row this year when he looked to be in 'beast' mode.
Opponents tried to tackle him and he was brushing them off Selwood like and moving really well.

The last 5 games is described well by Sydney Blue.
he;s not running hard. Its all in jog mode.
Maybe he's given up or knows there's other options than Carlton at his manager's door.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 5:08 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

99prelim wrote:

I mean he's doing everything his captain is role modelling...like not running both ways
Of course he deserved a block of games...his non-selection is not healthy in the locker room...remember that Dow wlll have team mates who are feeling for him being made a pariah by Voss
MV is angry at him because he refused to be traded and as a result, we had to offload Setterfield
That goes to the character of MV...pig headed and vindictive!!!!!
FWIW...and I know I'll be in the minority, but Dow has more upside than Setterfield

When you put it this way, my ears prick up.
I could believe that about MV and the Dow relationship.

Setterfield or Dow? That is the question.
Both young.

Do you want to believe that about Setterfield, Dow and MV or do you know?"
I like the story Dow wanted to stay and earn his spot in the AFL team.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 5:15 pm 
Rod Ashman

With the crows getting done this is a great opportunity to perform under duress.
This is the game to prove to the whole footy world that are laughing at us that we can play and prove our resilience by getting back in the eight by beating our greatest rival and ladder leader.
This game can change our whole season and the whole defeatist mentality we are burdened with.
This game could well be our defining moment that could give us that explosion of belief we are in desperate need of.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 5:54 pm 
Bruce Doull

Well said, Go Blues!

Sent from my Nokia G21 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 5:56 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

redback wrote:
With the crows getting done this is a great opportunity to perform under duress.
This is the game to prove to the whole footy world that are laughing at us that we can play and prove our resilience by getting back in the eight by beating our greatest rival and ladder leader.
This game can change our whole season and the whole defeatist mentality we are burdened with.
This game could well be our defining moment that could give us that explosion of belief we are in desperate need of.
Or we could move the ball like treacle, kick inaccurately, expect everyone else to do the hard stuff and lose by 72.

I genuinely have zero idea what to expect tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 6:06 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Adel lost and Cats are losing so it's a huge opportunity for us... which means we will lose

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 6:06 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Cause that's the new Carlton way

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 6:07 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

bluehammer wrote:
redback wrote:
Or we could move the ball like treacle, kick inaccurately, expect everyone else to do the hard stuff and lose by 72.

I genuinely have zero idea what to expect tomorrow.

I reckon you do...

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 6:17 pm 
Bob Chitty

redback wrote:

This is spot on but the problem is we come up short every time there is one of these crossroad moments. In the same way as North manufactured a loss this afternoon, we’re every chance to do so too. Of course there’s option two where we don’t show up, lose by 10 goals and pack it in for the rest of the season. They should be chomping at the bit to get after this mob after last year but I’m not holding my breath

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 314 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next