Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:57 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 314 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 11:00 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Any MCC member need a seat today? Have 1 reserved seat going spare, sec L2 N40 row D. Yours if you buy me a beer at the game :lol:

Happy to sms it thru

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 11:29 am 
formerly BlueRob

Just a few points about Dow.

1. Dow has consistently been our best reserves player over the last year and a half and you would expect he would get a run of games when our midfield has under performed.

2. Dow adds burst speed around the ball ... something we don't have much of.

3. Dow not getting a game sends the wrong message to the entire playing group. Players need to be rewarded for performance and it smacks of Voss playing favourites. This can really white-ant a team. Other players have done a lot less to be promoted.

The team needs to be less predictable. Dow add another flavour and I wish he was playing today. I am not saying he will be a success but he deserves a decent chance.

I am hopeful our last half against the Dogs has educated the team and we play much better today.

Go Blues!

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 11:32 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

BigBlueWave wrote:

1. Dow has consistently been our best reserves player over the last year and a half and you would expect he would get a run of games when our midfield has under performed.

3. Dow not getting a game sends the wrong message to the entire playing group. Players need to be rewarded for performance and it smacks of Voss playing favourites. This can really white-ant a team. Other players have done a lot less to be promoted.

The team needs to be less predictable. Dow add another flavour and I wish he was playing today. I am not saying he will be a success but he deserves a decent chance.

I am hopeful our last half against the Dogs has educated the team and we play much better today.

Go Blues!

Agree esp Point 3

Hardly unifying

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 11:50 am 
Ken Hunter

BigBlueWave wrote:

Go Blues!

Agree. Selection integrity is a concern.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 12:02 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Paddycripps wrote:
I have that day game optimism again. Foolishly so.
We will win this game because Voss will tell the players to take the game on and run and Coll won't be prepared for this new style of play. Blues have been training this for a few weeks.
I think that's our best weapon today...
We have to play that way, so it will free up the players to play on rather than stopping every possession.
If we can combine our contested game (and win it) with half decent rapid ball movement... we're a chance... play that way and it's similar to Rd 23, but hopefully a different result...

(that's where my earlier comment about BELIEF kicks in... unfortunately, we're not playing with enough atm)

Go Blues

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 12:02 pm 
Rod Ashman

Rod Spooky Galt wrote:
More chance of Oscar McDonald coming back to bite us than Dow.

The absolute fantasy of bedwetters in here thinking Dow will be the reason Voss is or isn't coach is ridiculous. Like speculating over David Parkin's future because we let Jacob Anstey walk to the Saints.

Hope you didn’t misinterpret my point above. I was simply suggesting that the theory that Voss is not selecting Dow because he is being vindictive is unlikely.
More likely is that he just doesn’t think he is good enough (rightly or wrongly).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 12:19 pm 
Craig Bradley

BigBlueWave wrote:

This is why I'd like to see him in the team... his initial burst of speed is something our good mids lack and something for opposition teams to factor with.

No one is saying he's the next Judd... I'd just like to have a look at him, preferably a 3-4 game stint, before we we give him the flick.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 12:30 pm 
Rod Ashman

Walked past fitzy at the golf course yesterday “are we going to get ‘em tomorrow” is asked

“Of course!!L came his reply (I don’t know what I made of his wry grin)

:beer:

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 12:38 pm 
Ken Hunter

I feel sick and it's not just my hangover.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 12:39 pm 
Bruce Doull

Dreamed we lost 110 to 37 (4.13)

Sidebottom kicked 6

One positive is dreams never come true

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 12:46 pm 
Ken Hunter

Yeah, I dreamed we beat St Kilda and that didn't happen.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 12:47 pm 
formerly BlueRob

"I HAVE A DREAM!"

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 1:05 pm 
Ken Hands

I completely understand the concern people have about selection integrity. But hypothetically, if Dow was asked to work on his decision making, not bombing the ball out of contests, etc. And if he has failed to do this, is that not a legitimate reason to not pick him?

I'm just playing devil's advocate here. Like I said, I don't watch the VFL.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 1:16 pm 
Craig Bradley

Our entire midfield group is guilty of just bombing it forward... our reserves play the same way

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 1:20 pm 
Robert Walls

Paddycripps wrote:
BigBlueWave wrote:

Go Blues!

Agree esp Point 3

Hardly unifying

Correct...Point 3 IS THE POINT

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 1:38 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Only problem is that Dow HAS been given a game - 63 AFL games to be precise. The only reason he is still on our list is because nobody else wanted him.

Mike Fitzpatrick

Cincotta hold over emergency...

Go Blues

Alex Jesaulenko

BigBlueWave wrote:

Go Blues!

I hear you BBW, and you state the obvious possibilities, but lets be mindful, you state the reasons for Dow, and to me that's one sided. There's another side to the story.

Voss said from the outset, players will train and play for positions, and Dow happens to be low on the pecking order for his inadequacies.

Sure there's players who have shown less than Dow, eg Honey, but Honey is no threat to Dow for a role in the midfield and Dow is certainly no threat for a HF.

As for point 3 ... can't blame the non selection of dow for our form this year, and I seriously doubt it is because of disunity.

Dow accumulates, but doesnt distribute, and he doesnt run hard. He jogs. If he played in the AFL like his VFL form as a mid we would want his head....and after the Swans praccy game, with his pitiful half hearted efforts, it was his head. H

Like I said earlier, he had form for the first 3 games, and that's when he shouldve been picked but we were undefeated at the time. He had a chance against the Swans to polay round 1.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 1:50 pm 
Harry Vallence

BigBlueWave wrote:

Go Blues!

I agree and I have said similar. I also think point 3 is the biggest concern. The playing group is not looking united, they look confused and lack confidence. Not saying picking Dow changes that, but in part it is surely worth giving him a go and for a batch of 2 or 3 games.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 1:50 pm 
formerly BlueRob

bondiblue wrote:
BigBlueWave wrote:

Go Blues!

I hear you BBW, and you state the obvious possibilities, but lets be mindful, you state the reasons for Dow, and to me that's one sided. There's another side to the story.

Voss said from the outset, players will train and play for positions, and Dow happens to be low on the pecking order for his inadequacies.

Sure there's players who have shown less than Dow, eg Honey, but Honey is no threat to Dow for a role in the midfield and Dow is certainly no threat for a HF.

As for point 3 ... can't blame the non selection of dow for our form this year, and I seriously doubt it is because of disunity.

Dow accumulates, but doesnt distribute, and he doesnt run hard. He jogs. If he played in the AFL like his VFL form as a mid we would want his head....and after the Swans praccy game, with his pitiful half hearted efforts, it was his head. H

Like I said earlier, he had form for the first 3 games, and that's when he shouldve been picked but we were undefeated at the time. He had a chance against the Swans to polay round 1.

Fair enough ... but you don't just become the best reserve player by accumulation. I think he deserves another chance and I am concerned about the white-anting effect of not selecting players on performance.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 314 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next