Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:20 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 224 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 10:41 am 
Geoff Southby

bondiblue wrote:
Wojee wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
Our backline which is usually a strength is really struggling. Weitering is out of form.

Two direct turnovers for goals from Weitering up to 3/4 time which is when I found something more interesting to do. For someone who is usually composed with the ball this was glaring.

Quote:
Newman was beaten but he's been very good to date. The match up wasn't great. Pace isn't his asset.

Carlton hasn't had a defender who's been consistently able to match quick small forwards like Charlie Cameron for as long as I can remember.

Williams.

Saad can when he locking down is his primary objective

Des English

Rodney Hogg

Who is this Williams you speak of.......I haven't seen him.
Maybe the club needs to make a Where's Williams book for the kids.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 10:46 am 
Stephen Kernahan

bondiblue wrote:
Wojee wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
Our backline which is usually a strength is really struggling. Weitering is out of form.

Two direct turnovers for goals from Weitering up to 3/4 time which is when I found something more interesting to do. For someone who is usually composed with the ball this was glaring.

Quote:
Newman was beaten but he's been very good to date. The match up wasn't great. Pace isn't his asset.

Carlton hasn't had a defender who's been consistently able to match quick small forwards like Charlie Cameron for as long as I can remember.

Williams.

Des English

Rodney Hogg

Not to mention he bowled a mean bouncer. :grin:

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 10:49 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Sidefx wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Wojee wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:

Quote:

Williams.

Des English

Rodney Hogg

Who is this Williams you speak of.......I haven't seen him.
Maybe the club needs to make a Where's Williams book for the kids.

Highlights the problem with injury and not being able to replace them like for like, which sounds nice and reassuring but truth is......we miss Williams and have no cover for him till Boydy gets back in form and returns when he finds form. I really dont think Boydy is ready. Whether he plays better at AFL level, I dont know, but that's the risk MC have to weigh up, I guess.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 11:00 am 
Bruce Doull

I've been trying to come to terms with it on the basis that surely the defence won't be that bad 2 weeks in a row. Pretty much all of them bar Mcgovern had bad games.

Defence has generally been good this year (& has kept us in games), but yeah, Friday was putrid

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 2:25 pm 
Ken Hunter

Wojee wrote:

If you're an opposition small forward, especially if you're a shithead and/or out of form then you must highlight the Carlton game in your diary and count down the days to it.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 2:37 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Quote:
Geelong legend Cameron Mooney meanwhile believes the Blues’ inability to handle pressure is again major cause for concern.

“Can they handle the pressure in the big moments? In pressure games and pressure moments, that’s when you’ve got to hit your targets, and that’s something Carlton can’t do very well,” he said on Fox Footy Live.

“I think that’s where they get a lot of their turnovers from.

“When the pressure came late last year, Carlton couldn’t handle it, and that’s why they fell out of the top eight.

“You saw it again (against Brisbane). When the pressure really came, they’re missing targets and making bad decisions. (Adam) Saad is trying to pull of this kick he shouldn’t be trying to pull off, because it’s a silly kick and that’s the pressure getting to him.

“They need to somehow work out how to handle pressure during games and practice it at training, because you actually can practice for these type of things.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/carlton-blues/afl-2023-carlton-blues-loss-to-brisbane-lions-reactions-response-commentary-37-minute-drought-without-a-goal-cant-win-the-premiership-highlights-latest-news/news-story/d6f7b3acd67d21dcd182eaea5bdbb702

This was my reaction after the game. Pressure and perceived pressure got to them.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 2:39 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Vain wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Wojee wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:

Quote:

Williams.

Des English

Rodney Hogg

Not to mention he bowled a mean bouncer. :grin:

He did bowl a mean bouncer. Really mean was Rocket.

:grin: Matty Hogg.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 6:10 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

bondiblue wrote:
billc3 wrote:

Effes was good enough to copy and paste it in the Voss thread.
:thumbsup:...

Yeah, should have thought of it... Still numb

Go Blues

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 6:24 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

bondiblue wrote:
Quote:
Geelong legend Cameron Mooney meanwhile believes the Blues’ inability to handle pressure is again major cause for concern.

“Can they handle the pressure in the big moments? In pressure games and pressure moments, that’s when you’ve got to hit your targets, and that’s something Carlton can’t do very well,” he said on Fox Footy Live.

“I think that’s where they get a lot of their turnovers from.

“When the pressure came late last year, Carlton couldn’t handle it, and that’s why they fell out of the top eight.

“You saw it again (against Brisbane). When the pressure really came, they’re missing targets and making bad decisions. (Adam) Saad is trying to pull of this kick he shouldn’t be trying to pull off, because it’s a silly kick and that’s the pressure getting to him.

“They need to somehow work out how to handle pressure during games and practice it at training, because you actually can practice for these type of things.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/carlton-blues/afl-2023-carlton-blues-loss-to-brisbane-lions-reactions-response-commentary-37-minute-drought-without-a-goal-cant-win-the-premiership-highlights-latest-news/news-story/d6f7b3acd67d21dcd182eaea5bdbb702

This was my reaction after the game. Pressure and perceived pressure got to them.
PERCEIVED PRESSURE is the thing... Brisbane didn't even do that much...
Only saw the replay the other day... Can't believe how poor the skills were, and really only showed up (cost us) in the 3rd....but it was happening all game...

Between the ears....

Go Blues

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 10:16 pm 
Harry Vallence

I think the Pies' apology to Sydney can put to bed the theory that we lost because of the orange socks :lol:

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 6:21 am 
Geoff Southby

Yeah, nah. Carlton would have to have the most active number of hoodoos in the comp at the moment. Anything out of the ordinary and its kaput

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 3:41 pm 
Bob Chitty

Do we need some perspective....

I was as annoyed as everyone else but really ..

We have lost to two sides in the top 4, and one side who was flying in a gather round for their state .. who are also a top 8 sides ..

It's not like we have lost to north and west coast

We have lost to sides that are better than us .. and have been competive in most of them

Richmond sit 1- 5 and a way bigger story than us .. yet here we are ... Feel this is as much a media narrative than anything else

But that's not to excuse our poor skill lever against both the saints and lions .. perhaps we need to accept we aren't at that level

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 4:07 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

ScottSaunders2 wrote:
Do we need some perspective....

I was as annoyed as everyone else but really ..

We have lost to two sides in the top 4, and one side who was flying in a gather round for their state .. who are also a top 8 sides ..

It's not like we have lost to north and west coast

We have lost to sides that are better than us .. and have been competive in most of them

Richmond sit 1- 5 and a way bigger story than us .. yet here we are ... Feel this is as much a media narrative than anything else

But that's not to excuse our poor skill lever against both the saints and lions .. perhaps we need to accept we aren't at that level

Richmond have been excused as an “end of an era” - is our excuse “our era hasn’t started yet”.

:lol:

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 4:31 pm 
Bob Chitty

That's my point right .. it's a media narrative ..

Bombers have new coach .. can't use them
Collingwood is flying .. can't use them
Tigers are rubbish but the have won three flags ... Can't use them
We tried using north, but no one gives a shit
Carlton hasn't beaten two top 4 sides .. they didn't take saints coach who are in a new coach honeymoon .. let's use them ...

Media narrative ... But again, I'm frustrated, just think it's over the top .. we have lost to teams that are better than us ..

I hate to go to soon, but I expect we will lose to the dees and pies as well ... End of the world ...

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 4:36 pm 
Geoff Southby

We have been so bad for so long that mediocrity seems like an improvement . How the mighty have fallen .

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 4:41 pm 
Harry Vallence

Mickstar wrote:
We have been so bad for so long that mediocrity seems like an improvement . How the mighty have fallen .

Exactly. I really thought Voss would change this

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 4:55 pm 
Rod Ashman

Stefchook wrote:
GreatEx wrote:
Brisbane have won 5 in a row, they're the form team of the comp. Let's not forget they destroyed the best team in AFL history, kicked 10 in a row against them. If we weren't allowed to be happy about beating WCE by 108, why should we slash wrists over losing to BL by 26?

I agree with this. I was disappointed, but not devastated. We're not the only side Brisbane are better than.

It wasn’t so much that we lost by a few goals to a v good team.
It was about how badly we played - and especially when we had control of the ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 4:56 pm 
Bruce Doull

For me it was how long we went without a goal. Always a bad sign

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 11:32 pm 
Bert Deacon

keogh wrote:
Definitely need more pressure to lock it in our forward half
Kennedy and Cripps up there will help this

If opposition backman run at about the same pace as the Galloping Gasometer used to, then Kennedy and Cripps as defensive pressure forwards would be a good plan.

But they don't, therefore it ain't.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 12:29 am 
Robert Walls

Mickstar wrote:

I hate that this is so true

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 224 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next