Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 8:13 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 224 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 2:12 pm 
Geoff Southby

keogh wrote:
Good post
As I said before this club plugs gaps year in year out with overrated over hyped average players
Acres has been a turn over merchant for years
His kicking and decision making skills are crap
Always have been
Do we recruit him for 3 even if he only cost us a third
rounder. Yep because our wings were a problem last year. Hollands looks ok
Saad as I have said repeatedly is a one trick pony in his third season With us
Has pace and a penetrating left foot as we know but it’s not hard if you’re an opposition coach. Just man him up when he has that second link kick like last night and that’s it. He doesn’t defend anyway
He coughed it up in the third centering it.
Opposition coaches have figured out how to nullify Saad’s effectiveness.
So Voss surely can change his role playing him on a wing. Cincotta looks ok to play Saads role in defence
His only getting $650000 a season over 5 years
Make him earn it
I like the idea of working Cripps and Kennedy through mid/halforward
JOS can take the occasional nice mark but imo isn’t up to it
Definitely need more pressure to lock it in our forward half
Kennedy and Cripps up there will help this
The club also needs to give DeKoning a full 10 games as our ruckman
If he doesn’t want to stay trade him for at least one first rounder
Pitto tries hard but is b grade

I'm going to have to agree and disagree with this.
While our wings were a problem at times last year defensively, the main problem was and still is our inside mids.
Without addressing this first we have again put ourselves back in the same situation as last year, putting pressure all around the ground on other positions, including the wings.
Our wings this year have delivered very little to last years overall performance going forward (defensively they have, mostly) and IMO so far it hasn't been worth doing vs addressing the bigger issue of speed and skill deficiencies in the middle.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 2:14 pm 
Craig Bradley

We needed more at ground level in D50… Boyd or Cowan, not Kemp.
We needed more speed on the spread… Cottrell, not Ed.
We needed a body on Dunkley… Kennedy start, Jack sub.
We needed more pressure inside 50… Owies, not Honey

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 2:22 pm 
Ken Hunter

Crusader wrote:
We needed more at ground level in D50… Boyd or Cowan, not Kemp. :lol:
We needed more speed on the spread… Cottrell, not Ed. :lol:
We needed a body on Dunkley… Kennedy start, Jack sub. :lol:
We needed more pressure inside 50… Owies, not Honey :lol:

Last edited by SurreyBlue on Sat May 06, 2023 2:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 2:28 pm 
Craig Bradley

Sidefx wrote:
keogh wrote:
Good post
As I said before this club plugs gaps year in year out with overrated over hyped average players
Always have been
Has pace and a penetrating left foot as we know but it’s not hard if you’re an opposition coach. Just man him up when he has that second link kick like last night and that’s it. He doesn’t defend anyway
So Voss surely can change his role playing him on a wing. Cincotta looks ok to play Saads role in defence
Make him earn it

While our wings were a problem at times last year defensively, the main problem was and still is our inside mids.
Without addressing this first we have again put ourselves back in the same situation as last year, putting pressure all around the ground on other positions, including the wings.
Our wings this year have delivered very little to last years overall performance going forward (defensively they have, mostly) and IMO so far it hasn't been worth doing vs addressing the bigger issue of speed and skill deficiencies in the middle.

I agree with you
Was being cynical

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 2:29 pm 
Geoff Southby

keogh wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
keogh wrote:
Good post
Always have been
Make him earn it

I agree with you
Was being cynical

:lol: :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 2:41 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

I have read most of this thread and are amazed at those saying they are done.
Disappointed to see fans walking out.
If last night's game was your tipping point you mustn't have been watching the last 20 years.

You sit there and watch the game and it appears every miss kick, dropped mark , missed goal is a game/ season defining moment. Honey missed from 40 so did Charlie, Weiters butchered it several times, young dropped marks he should have taken.
Holland hesitated and got caught. Gov give JSOS a hospital hand pass in the goal square.
All these are game defining/ season defining and you ride every one of them and walk away saying if only. One blunder eventually leads to another and then the game/ season is lost.
Then when all is lost they start playing and get themselves back in it then expectations rise which then leads to the next game/season defining moment.
If you are feeling it in the comfort of your home or sitting in the stands can you imagine what it is like to live it and be part of it.

The level of expectations is huge I think you could pick an All Australian side put them in a Carlton jumper and they would feel it and falter.

The pressure might have lifted last night with the reality that they are not good enough.
They might go out and win the next 2 or 3 because it doesn't matter any more no one after to last night expects anything.
But win the next 2 or 3 and you watch the level of expectations rise again ultimately leading to the inevitable let down.

I don't know how you fix this

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 2:44 pm 
Geoff Southby

A repeat of the St.Kilda match . But not as bad coz the Lions have been a top four side for the past four years . Still think we can drag ourselves out of this .

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 3:07 pm 
Geoff Southby

Sydney Blue wrote:
If last night's game was your tipping point you mustn't have been watching the last 20 years.

You sit there and watch the game and it appears every miss kick, dropped mark , missed goal is a game/ season defining moment. Honey missed from 40 so did Charlie, Weiters butchered it several times, young dropped marks he should have taken.
Holland hesitated and got caught. Gov give JSOS a hospital hand pass in the goal square.
All these are game defining/ season defining and you ride every one of them and walk away saying if only. One blunder eventually leads to another and then the game/ season is lost.
Then when all is lost they start playing and get themselves back in it then expectations rise which then leads to the next game/season defining moment.
If you are feeling it in the comfort of your home or sitting in the stands can you imagine what it is like to live it and be part of it.

The level of expectations is huge I think you could pick an All Australian side put them in a Carlton jumper and they would feel it and falter.

The pressure might have lifted last night with the reality that they are not good enough.
They might go out and win the next 2 or 3 because it doesn't matter any more no one after to last night expects anything.
But win the next 2 or 3 and you watch the level of expectations rise again ultimately leading to the inevitable let down.

:clap:

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 3:33 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Coaching rubbish but yes also the players

Weitering , Cripps and Walsh all topliners were horrendous

Acres kicking truly awful..several shocking turnovers

Young about as strong as cling wrap

How much of this is a result of playing a game plan that is ineffective and results in pressure being brought back in the players?

If it's not that , which I doubt btw, then Voss has the challenge to make this group harden up and be more accountable

Buck stops with the coach in this caper

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 3:59 pm 
Ken Hunter

Sydney Blue wrote:

Get them to sleep with the light out. Harden the flower up.

Last edited by SurreyBlue on Sat May 06, 2023 4:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 4:01 pm 
Geoff Southby

Paddycripps wrote:
Coaching rubbish but yes also the players

Weitering , Cripps and Walsh all topliners were horrendous

Acres kicking truly awful..several shocking turnovers

Young about as strong as cling wrap

How much of this is a result of playing a game plan that is ineffective and results in pressure being brought back in the players?

If it's not that , which I doubt btw, then Voss has the challenge to make this group harden up and be more accountable

Buck stops with the coach in this caper

I think you may be diminishing the responsibility of footballers and some handsomely paid ones to actually do what footballers do, play football.
Until this side can show they can execute the most basic football skills, especially under pressure, coaching is irrelevant.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 4:16 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Stefchook wrote:
GreatEx wrote:
Brisbane have won 5 in a row, they're the form team of the comp. Let's not forget they destroyed the best team in AFL history, kicked 10 in a row against them. If we weren't allowed to be happy about beating WCE by 108, why should we slash wrists over losing to BL by 26?

I agree with this. I was disappointed, but not devastated. We're not the only side Brisbane are better than.

Me too.

We were beaten by a team who has been a top 4 side for many years and added some class for a tilt for this year's flag.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 4:26 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

GreatEx wrote:
Good post, siders. Reading bb's reserves commentary today, it sounds like Cottrell is worth a look for senior selection next week, while Owies needs another run out for the ressies. I'd bring Cotters and BamBam in for Ed and Honey.

Owies was our best.

His kicking wasnt great. He missed 4 set shots and played on to kick a goal. He kicked 2 long set shots in front and ended with I think 3.4.

Qwies for Honey for sure.

Cotters did some good things and looked a class above the rest, but still a bit rusty. I'd risk him.

No one else really, and LOB was out injured.

No to Dow. No defensive side in his game. Doesnt even chase a ball smothered off his boot to make amends. Doesnt look like he wants a chance at AFL level.
No to Boyd, for now. Too undisciplined for AFL. His timing was out, and he gives away stupid frees. Too many of them. Nice kick tho.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 4:29 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

sorry crew I seem to have posted in this thread instead of reserves thread at times.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 4:32 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

No doubt the Lions have many more quicker players on each line and hard to catch.

Cottrell is the only one with speed in the reserves.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 4:33 pm 
Laurie Kerr

bondiblue wrote:
sorry crew I seem to have posted in this thread instead of reserves thread at times.

It’s all good both sides play the same I’m sure it went unnoticed

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 4:53 pm 
Ken Hunter

for a moment I was able to pretend the game was still on and we were in with a shout

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 5:32 pm 
Geoff Southby

bondiblue wrote:
GreatEx wrote:
Good post, siders. Reading bb's reserves commentary today, it sounds like Cottrell is worth a look for senior selection next week, while Owies needs another run out for the ressies. I'd bring Cotters and BamBam in for Ed and Honey.

Owies was our best.

His kicking wasnt great. He missed 4 set shots and played on to kick a goal. He kicked 2 long set shots in front and ended with I think 3.4.

Qwies for Honey for sure.

Cotters did some good things and looked a class above the rest, but still a bit rusty. I'd risk him.

No one else really, and LOB was out injured.

No to Dow. No defensive side in his game. Doesnt even chase a ball smothered off his boot to make amends. Doesnt look like he wants a chance at AFL level.
No to Boyd, for now. Too undisciplined for AFL. His timing was out, and he gives away stupid frees. Too many of them. Nice kick tho.

Thanks of the update Bondi.
Good summary.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 5:33 pm 
Geoff Southby

bondiblue wrote:
Stefchook wrote:
GreatEx wrote:
Brisbane have won 5 in a row, they're the form team of the comp. Let's not forget they destroyed the best team in AFL history, kicked 10 in a row against them. If we weren't allowed to be happy about beating WCE by 108, why should we slash wrists over losing to BL by 26?

I agree with this. I was disappointed, but not devastated. We're not the only side Brisbane are better than.

Me too.

We were beaten by a team who has been a top 4 side for many years and added some class for a tilt for this year's flag.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 5:41 pm 
Rod Ashman

GreatEx wrote:
for a moment I was able to pretend the game was still on and we were in with a shout

:clap:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 224 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next