Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:58 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:13 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

sinbagger wrote:
keogh wrote:
Every time we have had a win like last night this site is predominantly lead into a false sense of security
Brisbane are a better team this year
Dunkley has toughened them up on the inside
Charlie will have to play very well to beat Harris Andrews or Payne who is a decent defender
Their midfield is deep and tough
And Mc Inerney is a very good ruckman
Their forward line is packed full of talent and versatility
Win this one means infinite more value than last night’s witches hats session

Yeah, like 79, 81 and 82 led us into a false sense of security, no idea why we bothered celebrating at the time.

If we win next week I’ll be first in line to buy our twin DVD boxed set of “The Streak”.

:lol:

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:19 pm 
Harry Vallence

Kudos to Voss and the match committee who contrary to the majority of fans who wished for wholesale changes after the saints game held their nerve and made small changes.

We wish the beneficiaries of this faith all the very best

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:25 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

keogh wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
keogh wrote:
Wojee wrote:
Fall into a barrel of tits and come out sucking your thumb.....

I’m a realist not a pessimist
To be a top 4 team you need to be strong in all areas
We are a fair way off it
The 2 positives were Kemp and Cincotta
Kemp is so much better than Plowman
Cincotta looks good
Clean with his hands
Takes the game on
C u next week

You don’t think much of Plowman, fair enough, so why the plaudits for Kemp who played just ok against witches hats? What did he prove to you? I don’t think Kemp came in to replace Plowman. Young was selected as a fwd - ruck to make the Kemp selection palatable.

Gov is our intercept mark in the backline. What role does Kemp play that you like so much? Just curious.

He is a better kick
His judgement when the ball in the air is streets ahead of Plowman
He is more composed
It’s embarrassing how many games Plowman has played
Probably a nice bloke
But a very average footballer

Appreciate the response, but Kemp didn’t replace Plowman this week. Young was selected as a forward and Kemp took his role. That lasted 15 minutes and Young came back to look after one of the 2 big boys. I’m not sure what Kemps role was TBH. Gov is intercept marking defender

What is Kemps role? This is a genuine question not a trick question.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:52 pm 
Geoff Southby

bondiblue wrote:
keogh wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
keogh wrote:
Wojee wrote:

We are a fair way off it
Cincotta looks good
Clean with his hands
Takes the game on
C u next week

You don’t think much of Plowman, fair enough, so why the plaudits for Kemp who played just ok against witches hats? What did he prove to you? I don’t think Kemp came in to replace Plowman. Young was selected as a fwd - ruck to make the Kemp selection palatable.

Gov is our intercept mark in the backline. What role does Kemp play that you like so much? Just curious.

He is a better kick
He is more composed
It’s embarrassing how many games Plowman has played
Probably a nice bloke
But a very average footballer

Appreciate the response, but Kemp didn’t replace Plowman this week. Young was selected as a forward and Kemp took his role. That lasted 15 minutes and Young came back to look after one of the 2 big boys. I’m not sure what Kemps role was TBH. Gov is intercept marking defender

The third tall
Hinge Adelaide
Kolodjashnij
To play on those hybrids
Come on BB
That his role for now
But he is clearly a better footballer than Plowman

Last edited by keogh on Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:52 pm 
Ken Hunter

keogh wrote:
GreatEx wrote:
Yes, of course. Look man, I have no beef with you, and I appreciate your measured viewpoint on Vossy when others were losing their heads, but it's OK to laugh at yourself and say "yeah I got that one wrong" when you get tackled to the ground after trying a Dusty fend-off!

If you met me in real life you would meet the easiest going guy who doesn’t take life too seriously
Seriously :wink:
Point is we are still a long way off it
Last night is a poor parameter to where we are at
By the way we smashed GWS in those stats
West Coast and North are simply horrible

:beer:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:09 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

bondiblue wrote:
keogh wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
keogh wrote:
Wojee wrote:

The third tall
Hinge Adelaide
Kolodjashnij
To play on those hybrids
Come on BB
That his role for now
But he is clearly a better footballer than Plowman

I have not been a Plow fan for years now. Even when he featured in the top 10 in the BnF in a bottom team, I wasn’t impressed.

Newman Weitering Gov
Saad Young Cincotta

I/C Docherty Kemp…

Then there’s Boyd who will be knocking on the door……good problem….Doc in midfield group. Next year Williams back.

I agree Kemp is here for now, but he hasn’t cemented his spot imo. If he’s retained this week, and he’s earned it, he will be found out vs Lions or he will prove he’s in the team for keeps. I’m not yet sold on Kemp but glad to see him in the AFL team. This week it’s against strong opposition. The hybrids are Rayner and Gunston. Which one does Gov take. kemp takes?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:32 pm 
Bruce Doull

Also….

what about a couple of those peculiar late call umpiring decisions
we got…?

like the play on 1 minute into the 3rd 1/4…weird….i noticed the
umps did it a few times over the weekend…!

interesting…!

kindest regards tommi

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 12:38 am 
Craig Bradley

bondiblue wrote:
keogh wrote:
Wojee wrote:

We are a fair way off it
Cincotta looks good
Clean with his hands
Takes the game on
C u next week

The likelihood that Young was selected as a forward is about the same as Doc returning ‘early’.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 1:23 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

tommi wrote:
Funny….

Cee Kay and i were doing the same thing…!

no doubt about it…we’re all on the spectrum hey…!

kindest regaards tommi
What Spectrum? someday I'll have money?
:wink:

Go Blues

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 11:25 am 
Rod Ashman

I like having Kemp and McGovern in the backline; both can play third tall and both can play intercept role. Opposition may be able to stop one but unlikely they can nullify both. Just like, I like Saad plus Docherty (or Williams) - difficult to stop both of them.
Plus Kemp is versatile. Not yet, but at some point (maybe not until he can cement a spot in our best 22) I’d like to see him able to swing through the middle as part of our midfield rotation.

It is definitely true that this Fri night will tell us more about where we are at.
HOWEVER, one important answer we got was that we now know what the game plan is supposed to look like. After the Saints match, I wasn’t sure whether the players were playing to a shit game plan or whether they were ignoring or unable to play Voss’s game plan. Against crap competition, we saw what the blueprint is.

The other point to recognise is that we played four quarters, won every quarter, and didn’t drop our standard down to the level of a shit opposition - we have often made very hard work of these types of games over the past few (many?) years.

Also, it is worth noting that Geelong’s crap 0-3 start to the season began to turn around with a huge easy kill over Hawthorn. (Also worth recognising that many are arguing they are the form team of the comp at the moment, even though it could also be argued they haven’t beaten much since then: they went on to beat WC by 47pts at neutral venue - Gather Round - then smashed an undermanned Sydney, and had a solid win against the Bombers.)

Final point, is the players were not going over the top in their celebration and in interviews after the match. Although somewhat ludicrous, Crippa was talking about how tough an opposition they were in the contest etc… This is a good sign and positive development.

But, Keogh and others are right: This week is a big test to see where we are at and what we are made of. As well as the following 5 ‘tougher’ rounds… as well as every game for the remainder of the season until we’ve earned the right to be trusted and respected.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 12:01 pm 
Bruce Doull

17th Premiership wrote:
The other point to recognise is that we played four quarters, won every quarter, and didn’t drop our standard down to the level of a shit opposition - we have often made very hard work of these types of games over the past few (many?) years.

Yep that has bugged us supporters for years, so it was good to see.

Quote:
Also, it is worth noting that Geelong’s crap 0-3 start to the season began to turn around with a huge easy kill over Hawthorn.

And in the much much bigger picture, the Cats in 2007 had a bad loss to North in Geelong, then responded the following week with a 140 point win over Richmond, & they were away.

I really think it's time to phone the engravers about now

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 12:18 pm 
Garry Crane

lets discuss after the next 3/4 weeks thats what i think of eagles game on the plus side NO INJURIES

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 12:20 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

keogh wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
keogh wrote:
Wojee wrote:

We are a fair way off it
Cincotta looks good
Clean with his hands
Takes the game on
C u next week

He is a better kick

Not on Saturday nights showing. His intercept marking was great but he twice went up as the 3rd man in a contest and let the ball out the back to his opponent. Cardinal sin as a defender. If you go up and leave your opponent, you have to impact and kill the ball. Plus his kicking was unreliable.
Yes he's a better, younger option than Plowman but he has to tidy up those parts of his game to take the next step. I'd love to see him get there as he seems to have a great attitude to his footy.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 12:32 pm 
Harry Vallence

17th Premiership wrote:
I like having Kemp and McGovern in the backline; both can play third tall and both can play intercept role. Opposition may be able to stop one but unlikely they can nullify both. Just like, I like Saad plus Docherty (or Williams) - difficult to stop both of them.
Plus Kemp is versatile. Not yet, but at some point (maybe not until he can cement a spot in our best 22) I’d like to see him able to swing through the middle as part of our midfield rotation.

It is definitely true that this Fri night will tell us more about where we are at.
HOWEVER, one important answer we got was that we now know what the game plan is supposed to look like. After the Saints match, I wasn’t sure whether the players were playing to a shit game plan or whether they were ignoring or unable to play Voss’s game plan. Against crap competition, we saw what the blueprint is.

Also, it is worth noting that Geelong’s crap 0-3 start to the season began to turn around with a huge easy kill over Hawthorn. (Also worth recognising that many are arguing they are the form team of the comp at the moment, even though it could also be argued they haven’t beaten much since then: they went on to beat WC by 47pts at neutral venue - Gather Round - then smashed an undermanned Sydney, and had a solid win against the Bombers.)

Final point, is the players were not going over the top in their celebration and in interviews after the match. Although somewhat ludicrous, Crippa was talking about how tough an opposition they were in the contest etc… This is a good sign and positive development.

But, Keogh and others are right: This week is a big test to see where we are at and what we are made of. As well as the following 5 ‘tougher’ rounds… as well as every game for the remainder of the season until we’ve earned the right to be trusted and respected.

What I like is depth and options for our defence. This is a heck of group

Weitering Young Durdin McGovern Marchbank
Kemp Cincotta Boyd Docherty Williams Saad Newman Cottrell Cowan Plowman

I don't care who they pick out of these. The good things is they should be picking who is playing the best and who works well together

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 2:49 pm 
Harry Vallence

billc3 wrote:
tommi wrote:
Funny….

Cee Kay and i were doing the same thing…!

no doubt about it…we’re all on the spectrum hey…!

kindest regaards tommi
What Spectrum? someday I'll have money?
:wink:

Go Blues

Saw Spectrum at Myponga pop festival early 70's. After their set and Daddy Cool, half of each band got up and performed as "Indelible Murtceps". Enjoyed it nearly as much as watching the Blues flog WCE this week. I endured a few years when trips to Perth from Darwin to visit my son were spoilt by going to see Blues beaten by Eagles.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 3:02 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

AFLCA Votes, Round 7:
10 Charlie Curnow (CARL)
7 Nic Newman (CARL)
5 Patrick Cripps (CARL)
4 Adam Cerra (CARL)
3 Blake Acres (CARL)
1 Harry McKay (CARL

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 3:24 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Rod Waddell wrote:
Kudos to Voss and the match committee who contrary to the majority of fans who wished for wholesale changes after the saints game held their nerve and made small changes.

We wish the beneficiaries of this faith all the very best

Brilliant

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 3:33 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Crusader wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
keogh wrote:
Wojee wrote:

We are a fair way off it
Cincotta looks good
Clean with his hands
Takes the game on
C u next week

The likelihood that Young was selected as a forward is about the same as Doc returning ‘early’.

Young rucked and was in the forwardline albeit 15 minutes. He had 11 HOs. He didn’t play backline all game. You know that don’t you? Kemp was fine for Waterman, but when he was matched up with Darling you could see there was a weight difference.

I wasn’t surprised because this early in the season, especially after 2 losses and very average form prior to that, coaches are tempted to try things. Maybe Voss didn’t want to see SOS in the ruck. Pitto played ruck for 85%.

We discussed the option of Young as A fwd-ruck prior to the game. No one seemed surprised and saw the virtues and risk associated with that move

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 3:42 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Vain wrote:
keogh wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
keogh wrote:
Wojee wrote:

We are a fair way off it
Cincotta looks good
Clean with his hands
Takes the game on
C u next week

He is a better kick

Not on Saturday nights showing. His intercept marking was great but he twice went up as the 3rd man in a contest and let the ball out the back to his opponent. Cardinal sin as a defender. If you go up and leave your opponent, you have to impact and kill the ball. Plus his kicking was unreliable.
Yes he's a better, younger option than Plowman but he has to tidy up those parts of his game to take the next step. I'd love to see him get there as he seems to have a great attitude to his footy.

Thanks for pointing out Kemps weaknesses.
He’s young. He will learn.

But he can’t continue to jump prematurely like TDK does in the ruck, but going for the speckles or whatever it is for the reason you gave. Cardinal sin.

He had on ok game for a kid. I was rapt those 2 first “intercept” marks just found him standing in the right position on his own.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 4:17 pm 
Geoff Southby

Has our Coach no sense of Theatre ? surely at some point he should have matched up Darling with Honey .

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next