Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:11 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 245 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 12:41 am 
Laurie Kerr

Traveller86 wrote:
missnaut wrote:
Bluetears wrote:
Damn just found out its our so called "respect" round. Dammit, now i gotta go change all my tips to a loss, instead of the win i originally selected (i never usually tip against carlton, but this is bullshit so doing in protest. And common sense as we will lose 100% now.
Carlton is a footy club, i wish they would focus on footy and training (maybee give harry some extra goal kicking practice instead of friggin stupin virtue signalling. I really despise carlton doing this every year at expense of winning the game.. starting to make me spitefull of this stupid cause actually. If they actually won the bloody game once in a while i might think differently, but they dont, so this is my feel. I remember last year we lost, and j degoey was all over the news being disrespectful to women, he played, they won their game, and we we left looking like respectful to women losers having a loss, but no caring, cos at least we expressed how we respect women.. LOL
Wow.

They always show themselves, and unironically justify why Carlton Respects is a thing, lol.

Yeah this is an issue i dont need to address in my life (or have pretty much ever), and i dont appreciate the incinuation by this campaign that ALL men need to do better blah, blah. In my world respect is earned, equally by men and women (im not sexist discriminator unlike this cause). Real respect is shown through action, not some completely sexist ridiculous campaign by a supposed serious football club. The club should mind its own business instead of implying all men dont respect women enough. For the record, my boss is a woman, who has my complete respect, not because she is a woman, but because she is a great genuine honest and good person that has well and truly earned my respect with her personal actions.. she very much respects me also. Its all genuine, from actions, not just saying so to fit the narrative. Anyway. Dont care what you think of me. I know im a top bloke that many frankly arent worthy of even knowing me. No sheeple live at my household

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 3:49 am 
John James

Bluetears wrote:
Traveller86 wrote:
missnaut wrote:
Bluetears wrote:
Damn just found out its our so called "respect" round. Dammit, now i gotta go change all my tips to a loss, instead of the win i originally selected (i never usually tip against carlton, but this is bullshit so doing in protest. And common sense as we will lose 100% now.
Carlton is a footy club, i wish they would focus on footy and training (maybee give harry some extra goal kicking practice instead of friggin stupin virtue signalling. I really despise carlton doing this every year at expense of winning the game.. starting to make me spitefull of this stupid cause actually. If they actually won the bloody game once in a while i might think differently, but they dont, so this is my feel. I remember last year we lost, and j degoey was all over the news being disrespectful to women, he played, they won their game, and we we left looking like respectful to women losers having a loss, but no caring, cos at least we expressed how we respect women.. LOL
Wow.

They always show themselves, and unironically justify why Carlton Respects is a thing, lol.

Yeah this is an issue i dont need to address in my life (or have pretty much ever), and i dont appreciate the incinuation by this campaign that ALL men need to do better blah, blah. In my world respect is earned, equally by men and women (im not sexist discriminator unlike this cause). Real respect is shown through action, not some completely sexist ridiculous campaign by a supposed serious football club. The club should mind its own business instead of implying all men dont respect women enough. For the record, my boss is a woman, who has my complete respect, not because she is a woman, but because she is a great genuine honest and good person that has well and truly earned my respect with her personal actions.. she very much respects me also. Its all genuine, from actions, not just saying so to fit the narrative. Anyway. Dont care what you think of me. I know im a top bloke that many frankly arent worthy of even knowing me. No sheeple live at my household

wow. no ego issues then. lol. the defensiveness displayed here is pretty transparent in this case, i think. psychological projection is like this. denial isn’t just a river in Egypt.

i’d suggest those on TC who don’t understand what this Carlton Respects round is all about go and listen to what some of the players say it means to them and the difference it’s made within the four walls of the club for a start. Ed Curnow said exactly that and it’s on the Blues app and website. Then consider how it’s having an impact with young children who may come from households with so sexist conditioning going on at home now that the outreach is in primary schools.

i’m not going to rattle off all the stats of male violence against woman. gender inequality in every economic index that’s measured. stats about the impact of sexual abuse on women, particularly children and young women. but these stats all exist and some of them are stubbornly résistent to the improvements that some think just happen magically becuase they happen to be the best bloke they know.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 4:03 am 
Laurie Kerr

Im into footy and thats what afl used to be about. If i wanted to hear all this morals business i would watch abc news channel. We are obviously of 2 different minds on what footy should be about.so what! Means im whacko does it?? Nice.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 4:28 am 
Laurie Kerr

Had no interest in reading any of that after the first paragraph. So i didnt bother. Wouldnt give you time of day in person. Definately not respect

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 5:44 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

May I, respectfully, suggest you re-read your posts and think about how you come across? What do you think your boss would think about what you’ve written?

Secondly, a lot of men who’ve gone out and done the things they’ve done have often thought they were themselves “a good bloke”. Unfortunately every bloke (including me) is one second from slipping and becoming the person they say they would never be.

While I respect your right to voice your opinion, I have to disagree that it’s virtue signalling. It’s partly a way to keep blokes accountable. Humility is important as is the desire to want to be accountable. Too often these incidents stem from pride and lack of accountability.

- Igor Stravinsky

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 9:56 am 
Wayne Johnston

Bluetears wrote:
Traveller86 wrote:
missnaut wrote:
Bluetears wrote:
Wow.

I get what you’re saying as any kind of violence is anathema to me, and I agree that everyone deserves respect. However if this “respects” round has caused you to pause and examine your own actions and attitudes then it has achieved its goal, you are free to move on as it’s not aimed at you, it’s aimed at all those men and boys (and women) who do need to learn to respect others and do better.

I’d also just rather watch the footy without being bombarded with betting ads (now there’s a hypocrisy that should be called out), crass loud music at live games, and other marketing messages that are meaningless to me, but that’s life and I’m a grumpy old man.

I also think others in this thread have also overreacted to your posts. Let’s chill guys and talk about football.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 10:16 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Looks like the AI chatbot has logged on.

Left wing moralists
In self serving denial
They shit me no end

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 10:44 am 
Geoff Southby

bondiblue wrote:
Sidefx wrote:

By pure outside player I mean if there are players going for the ball, stay out of the contest for the feed and not go crashing in like Acres does.
And to be honest we have seen LOB go in when he has to , just not hard enough or enough times as Acres or Hollands.
The problem is that the supporters only want to see bash and crash and while defensively that is good, those player types are not always going to be your silky delivery ones who are usually on the outside waiting for the ball. Plus even when LOB does go in, he still gets criticised for something.
With a strong defensive set up like we are getting, having a few outside players will not be at the expense of our defensive side to the game IMO.

While I don't regard LOB as an elite kick (that was his junior profile) he is miles ahead of Acres, Hollands and Binns and is still better than Cottrell IMO.

I think yourself and a lot of other supporters especially over the last year have given little to no latitude for errors from LOB, yet are willing to allow Cripps, Walsh, Cerra, Hewett and now Hollands and Acres plenty of room as examples. What did Hollands have again v Adelaide - 40% kicking efficiency and Acres was 53% and if I recall correctly they were applauded for good games and a shining light. And LOB is not on his own missing shots from 50 with no pressure, the above players all do it and do it regularly.

The reason Hollands is "preferred" is because of his willingness to commit, defiantly not his delivery skills as was Cottrell last season even though his kicking started to improve, something Ollie has to improve on.
And as I have also said, LOB showed improvement last season and had this season to show more to keep his spot, unfortunately he is yet to do this in the role as it is and most likely won't, he's just not wired that way.

But all of this is still moving away from my point, we lack class delivery into the F50 and out of all our wings, LOB can kick and because he is not a high contact player like the other wings, does that mean we adjust the role for him to get better delivery or do we just persist with the same F50 delivery until either Hollands can kick or at the end of the season try and find someone who can. It is a weakness that is yet to be addressed, especially with a slow midfield that are not elite kicks either.
Cottrell may end up being the only saving grace, even though I'd really like to see how he goes in a Prestia type role.

I get where you are coming from and I'm fine with it. LOB is a good long left foot kick and has got wheels fit for a wing.

Without trying to be offensive, I think you sound like an apologist for LOB's shortfalls.

I highlighted a couple points: "miles better" point is there's more to a complete game than just kicking, and imo he's not miles ahead of all those you mention. I think its wrong to group all those players with 19yo Hollands and Binns to make a point. You are setting the bar low comparing LOB to the first year players to help LOB shine imo. Binns' kicking has surprised me TBH. He's not a long kick but hits his targets.

I wouldnt put LOB in the same sentence as Walsh Hewett Cripps Cerra. I think Cerra is a better kick than LOB, and Walsh takes better options than LOBas does Hewett. We all know what Cripps brings, and he is criticised for his kicking but you know...Cripps a Brownlow Medallist. Cerra and Hewett can kick accurately on either side under pressure, so, no, LOB isnt excused that easily for his weaknesses.

Those players you highlight as weaker kicks imo bring a more rounded game than LOB. Acres and Cottrell are better kicks than Hollands and Binns, and LOB kicks longer and more accurately than both the kids. I have more faith in Cottrell and Acres passing a ball under pressure, and for goal than LOB. Cottrells kicking has been fine.

Finals is all about pressure. I dont think LOB can handle pressure. Its just an opinion.

In anutshell, you are dismissing the importance of marking, shepherding, blocking, tackling, goal kicking, and taking ones moments......for any role let alone the wing, whether its a 'pure' outside role or not. A player has to be prepared to handle the moment in a Final regardless of what it is. He can't pick and choose. It doesnt work that way.

Once we have our running players back and start running it out of defence, like we did last week, space opens up, as do options in space and delivery improves. Hopefully Boyd comes in with Cincotta for extra line breaking speed from the backline, and all of the sudden our passing looks classy.

We shouldnt have to adjust a game because of one player's shortfalls imo.

LOB has a role on our list so I'm glad he's on it. I was greatful he was on it last year. I'm hoping we've improved from last year with Acres and Hollands, and Cottrell back. I see LOB as a break glass option.

Not offensive at all, but I think you have totally missed my point and yet have somehow danced around it.
Our F50 entries are not up to scratch, I know you can agree on that.
Our inside midfielders this year (with the exception of the last round) have been unreliable with delivery into the F50 and goal kicking.
Our Half Forwards have also been unreliable/injured.
Our wings (last years "issue") while they are more contested are also no improvement in our F50 entries (their main job IMO) and from what I've seen are worse (just look at our stats).
And in the current era where rebounding the football and scoring are now the more common scoring avenue of teams that are in the top 8, our connection between the arcs have been letting us down with our delivery inside the F50 to two of the best key forwards in the league.

So as far as being a LOB apologist, I think this may come from your dislike of him. I am using him to make a point regarding kicking ability, I know he lacks in other areas, we all do, yet he still has something the rest of our wings don't have or are yet to show. And if Voss is going to play Hollands in every round this year, being a first year player in a team pushing for finals is no excuse, 40% KE is the low bar. You are either good enough or not and IMO it doesn't matter how more rounded you are, it doesn't fix the overall issue for us to push forward, we lack kicking skill in our side and is why a team with a strong defence can put us to the sword.

And regarding Walsh, Cripps, Cerra and Hewett I think you have missed that point also. All of these players have made some horrible decisions and kicked some horrible footballs this year but we/you tend to look past that and when LOB came on for that quarter against the Saints and one of his 4 kicks went out of bounds, well he may as well have shot bambi. The point is, in a side where we are statistically one of the worst kicking teams in the comp and Hollands is the worst in the team according to one of your posts, the microscope should be placed on all players kicking abilities fairly and evenly. And if you do that, we lack kicking skills, something LOB has.
By making the above point is not diminishing the need for other attributes, I have more than once admitted LOB lacks them at times, hence him not being in the side.
The wing role under Voss seems to be a more defensive, contested role which is great for the team defensively, but that hasn't fixed our F50 entries this year.

I don't think Boyd will be our F50 entry saviour unless Saad or Docherty are moved to the wing, he will not add more class to the HB line than we already have IMO.
We will need to move the chess pieces to take advantage of that.
Cottrell may be the closest like for like to fit the Voss wing role but as I keep saying, I reckon he could be a stroke of genius in the centre with a slow midfield.
And I agree we shouldn't have to change our game for one player, but we have to change something to address our weaknesses and we can't keep doing the same thing over and over again expecting change, it's what we did last year and we missed out on finals.

Either way, I see something we are lacking and you see something we don't need.
I guess we will have to both agree to disagree and keep our trust that the only person who really knows what is happening has a solution, Voss.

Tonights game will be another good test on our rebounding transition to scoring, our RBi50 and i50 are all pretty similar, however they are 3 marks i50 better than us per game (probably more considering how many we took last week). But the concerning stat is centre clearances, they average 14.7 (1st) and we average 11.1 (15th).
Rich and Zorko out may just be enough to give us the better hand in the clearances.
Either way, we need to score more on transition and we need better around the ground kicking, especially into the F50.
The Lions are the 8th most scored against team at the moment (we are the 3rd least) but they have also scored over 100pts more than us, they are the 3rd highest and we are the 9th. It shows they are more attacking and we are more defending.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 10:53 am 
Geoff Southby

Blue Vain wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
Even that smug pumpkin head, Dangerfield was calving them up with his entries on the weekend.

He's definitely moooving well.

Not sure how I missed that.
More appropriate comment for Cowan than pumpkin head.
:lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 10:56 am 
Bruce Doull

Is there a reserves team out yet?

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 11:12 am 
Harry Vallence

Arnhem blues wrote:
Like others would have preferred Kennedy in. Good mark great kick
A bit baffled….,

We were complaining that our midfield was too slow with too many inside bulls.

We make changes to that, and we complain.

Can't ever be happy lol.

Very handy sub to have.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 11:39 am 
Geoff Southby

I am thinking Carlton have added some kicking deliciousness to the team, while they have lost some. Would be great for a docherty or saad to run around the back of the mark for a deliciously long sausage roll.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 12:24 pm 
Craig Bradley

bondiblue wrote:
But the concerning stat is centre clearances, they average 14.7 (1st) and we average 11.1 (15th).

I wouldn’t be too concerned here. They still concede a bakers dozen per game. Wide open shoot outs will pad out the centre clearances.

It’s their defensive pressure that’s off the charts. Particularly in the front half. They hassle, get it back & convert.

Pressure & conversion.

If we respond to that pressure in kind, they WILL turn it over.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 2:16 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

CK95 wrote:
Is there a reserves team out yet?

Not on Twitter.
Do they even have a website?

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 2:26 pm 
Bob Chitty

Sidefx wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Sidefx wrote:

Unfortunately none of the wings are yet to show they can be damaging by foot, something we are missing on a wing.
No point running all day if you are ineffective with your disposals and you have too many turnovers or your kicks lack penetration.
Martin or Williams would be the closest we have aside from Saad and we know where they play most of the year.
We need a Bolton like player to hit the leads and give our two forwards the best chance against a good defence.

Stat's are usually overinflated in a game where there are so many goals kicked by one side, it's the stats in a game against a defensive team like the Saints that matter.
Not all teams will be so outmatched in the F50 like last weekend and the delivery has to be more creative and accurate.
And in that Saints game, Acres 0 goals and 3 SI's and Hollands had 0 goals and 3 SI's.
But even then the Score involvement stat can be misleading as the stat can be received at half back.
Quote:
Score Involvement: Number of scoring chains where a player was involved with either a disposal, hitout-to-advantage, kick-in or knock-on. If a player has two disposals in the same scoring chain, he is credited with one score involvement.

It doesn't truly represent the quality of disposal, which if we want to be a finals team and win, quality matters a lot more.
I view the game different to you I guess, Acres spent 62% of his time in the defensive half of the ground and most of his disposals (only 6 in the corridor) were not of great difficulty hence his DEF%. Don't get me wrong, he's playing a great defensive role for us.
Hollands is a great runner and 100% commits himself, other than that he doesn't really offer much by foot that I've seen so far.
I agree Cottrell is a much more damaging kick than them both and has the toughness.
LOB is a great runner also and most of the time choses the harder option for his disposals and as a result can tend to put other players under more pressure, but he is not tough enough and he fails to halve the contest when required. If only we could get LOBs leg with Hollands running and commitment, awesome.
Either way, after 7 rounds of Hollands and Acres you could probably ask Charlie and Harry how confident they are of getting hit lace out in the F50 by either of them.
If it is above 50/50 I'd be surprised, which is my point.
We lack a Marc Murphy (when fit of course) who used to have the forwards salivating when he had the ball delivering it to them from the middle or a Bolton on the wing who does the same.
Even that smug pumpkin head, Dangerfield was calving them up with his entries on the weekend.
We still lack that polish that other teams have with our F50 entires IMO.

You are all over it Sidex, and I appreciate the reality check.

I see where you are coming from with the highlighted sentence, plus identifying the lack of polish of our wings, "a couple" teams have. But I do expect some polish to come from mids Docherty Walsh and Cerra as the game plan evolves and the midfielders play more games together.

Quote:
analysis by Champion Data has uncovered the best kicks at every team

While Carlton topped the list approaching mid-season last year, [with elite kicks] the number of Blues in the top 50 has been impacted by the decline of one and injury to another.

“We’ve seen a notable decline from Zac Fisher, who after 11 rounds last season had the second-highest kick rating in the competition behind Collingwood’s Scott Pendlebury,” Mobilio said.

“In 2023, Fisher has gone 5 per cent below expectation, which is the second lowest at the club behind Ollie Hollands.

“Carlton is also missing Zac Williams, who was elite by foot last season.”

... The Crows and Carlton are the next best with four. The Blues came out on top mid-season last year when they had six players in the top 50, but that number has slipped to four this season.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/afl-2023-champion-data-analysis-reveals-players-with-the-best-kick-rating-at-every-club/news-story/0f69e53249d0eb7335c2acea14abbe40

You have drilled deep into stats and thanks for sharing.

Whilst I don't think the Saints game without Saad Docherty (and Williams) is a good example to use to judge the wings with our slow chippy chippy bomb bomb play by the mids, I can see that maybe Hollands needs a rest and has done his job setting the standard for ground covered.

Cottrell is the favourite to take a wing from Hollands over the unreliable LOB and the developing Binns.

Its all coming together for Carlton after round 7.

There is no perfect team, and every team has displayed a bad quarter, half and game. Every team is getting a feel for their evolving game plans and sizing up the oppositions weapons.

Its nice and early in the season and we are getting players back from injury who will need some game time to catch up with the rest of the team, and its happening.

Cottrell isn't far away.

Having the defensive run out of the team does have a difference up the ground, we seen that on the weekend and what it looks like when we have it back.
However, when it comes to finals, the teams in the top 8 will mostly have good defences and we need to be able to pry them open to the advantage of our forwards.
And if our wings and mids are unable to do it, then we are either relying on our Half forwards or small forwards to make that connect and that comes at a price in the F50 with our keys being double teamed, zoned out or taking marks down field.
As another example in the Adelaide game (Saad played), another team with a great defence, Acres had 1 goal, 3 score involvements and Hollands had 0 Goals and 2 score involvements.
They also had - clangers (Acres had 4, Hollands 0), kicking efficiency (Hollands was at 40%, Acres at 52.9%)

Cottrell would be the ideal fit for a like for like replacement for Hollands, as you know I think he's needed a rest for a few weeks now.
However, I know you say LOB is unreliable but I don't see him that way.
The issue LOB has is the game style Voss wants him to play (high contact, defensive first) and us supporters are only gaging his ability on him hitting contests and his body work at them.
But I look at him as a pure outside player, the one you want on the outside wing in space where possible linking from the defence to the forwards.
A lot of the indigenous players play like this, they avoid contact as much as possible, but they also have zip and x factor in their favour.
So surely as our game plan is developing and our defence is getting really solid with great depth, we can start to look at having some outside players with some foot skills to make our rebounding more dangerous and giving our forwards better options to take marks in the F50 instead of half way up the ground all the time.
Plus we would start to get a more structured attack and less chaotic ball movement forward, which is something I think Voss and co are trying to get going........we just need the right tools.
That's why I suggested Saad on a wing, the perfect fit for better delivery even though I know Saad may not have the tank required for the wing.
Either way we need to start looking ahead to the second half of the year and what our ball movement looks like heading towards finals and so far this season and TBH the last half of the year of 22 our kicking into the F50 has been suspect at best.
Great analysis and discussion.
But as I was reading all I could think of is if we get smashed in the midfield none of the above matters much.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 2:30 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Traveller86 wrote:
Arnhem blues wrote:
Like others would have preferred Kennedy in. Good mark great kick
A bit baffled….,

We were complaining that our midfield was too slow with too many inside bulls.

We make changes to that, and we complain.

Can't ever be happy lol.

Very handy sub to have.

Team balance is better now and the game plan is better too.
But let's see it all stacks up against a good side tonight, before we all start touching each other's dicks.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 4:06 pm 
Harry Vallence

Sidefx wrote:
Not offensive at all, but I think you have totally missed my point and yet have somehow danced around it.
Our F50 entries are not up to scratch, I know you can agree on that.
Our inside midfielders this year (with the exception of the last round) have been unreliable with delivery into the F50 and goal kicking.
Our Half Forwards have also been unreliable/injured.
Our wings (last years "issue") while they are more contested are also no improvement in our F50 entries (their main job IMO) and from what I've seen are worse (just look at our stats).
And in the current era where rebounding the football and scoring are now the more common scoring avenue of teams that are in the top 8, our connection between the arcs have been letting us down with our delivery inside the F50 to two of the best key forwards in the league.

So as far as being a LOB apologist, I think this may come from your dislike of him. I am using him to make a point regarding kicking ability, I know he lacks in other areas, we all do, yet he still has something the rest of our wings don't have or are yet to show. And if Voss is going to play Hollands in every round this year, being a first year player in a team pushing for finals is no excuse, 40% KE is the low bar. You are either good enough or not and IMO it doesn't matter how more rounded you are, it doesn't fix the overall issue for us to push forward, we lack kicking skill in our side and is why a team with a strong defence can put us to the sword.

And regarding Walsh, Cripps, Cerra and Hewett I think you have missed that point also. All of these players have made some horrible decisions and kicked some horrible footballs this year but we/you tend to look past that and when LOB came on for that quarter against the Saints and one of his 4 kicks went out of bounds, well he may as well have shot bambi. The point is, in a side where we are statistically one of the worst kicking teams in the comp and Hollands is the worst in the team according to one of your posts, the microscope should be placed on all players kicking abilities fairly and evenly. And if you do that, we lack kicking skills, something LOB has.
By making the above point is not diminishing the need for other attributes, I have more than once admitted LOB lacks them at times, hence him not being in the side.
The wing role under Voss seems to be a more defensive, contested role which is great for the team defensively, but that hasn't fixed our F50 entries this year.

I don't think Boyd will be our F50 entry saviour unless Saad or Docherty are moved to the wing, he will not add more class to the HB line than we already have IMO.
We will need to move the chess pieces to take advantage of that.
Cottrell may be the closest like for like to fit the Voss wing role but as I keep saying, I reckon he could be a stroke of genius in the centre with a slow midfield.
And I agree we shouldn't have to change our game for one player, but we have to change something to address our weaknesses and we can't keep doing the same thing over and over again expecting change, it's what we did last year and we missed out on finals.

Either way, I see something we are lacking and you see something we don't need.
I guess we will have to both agree to disagree and keep our trust that the only person who really knows what is happening has a solution, Voss.

Tonights game will be another good test on our rebounding transition to scoring, our RBi50 and i50 are all pretty similar, however they are 3 marks i50 better than us per game (probably more considering how many we took last week). But the concerning stat is centre clearances, they average 14.7 (1st) and we average 11.1 (15th).
Rich and Zorko out may just be enough to give us the better hand in the clearances.
Either way, we need to score more on transition and we need better around the ground kicking, especially into the F50.
The Lions are the 8th most scored against team at the moment (we are the 3rd least) but they have also scored over 100pts more than us, they are the 3rd highest and we are the 9th. It shows they are more attacking and we are more defending.

Some very fair points

Re: LOB he has the attributes. It's about doing it under pressure at AFL level consistently and also needs to cut the basic mistakes. He has another year to work on it

Two major things for me. The ability to get our best or near our best on the park consistently so they play together. Combinations, trust are a massive part of good side

and, our skills. They are poor for this level. Way too many turnovers and especially bombing it inside 50. When do we kick to an advantage?

The other thing to consider is we have never had 22 good contributors. This year we have played Hollands & Cowan (who will both be good) but they are yet to have a 4 quarter influence along with names like Fisher Honey E.Curnow O'Brien. We have carried too many non contributors in games. I feel this week we are getting close to solving this issue. I expect over the next wek or so Boyd Cottrell Kennedy Owies will all be back which makes that even better

If we can keep close to our best 22 on the park we will be right in the mix for the second half of the year

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 4:20 pm 
Harry Vallence

B: Newman Young Kemp
HB: Cincotta Weitering Saad
C: Acres Cripps Docherty
HF: Durdin McKay Walsh
F: Silvagni Curnow Motlop
Foll: Pittonet Hewett E.Curnow
Int: Cerra Hollands Honey McGovern (Kennedy)

This how I think we will line up
I would send Curnow to Neale
Walsh comes up from HF as extra mid
I would have Young on Daniher and Kemp on Hipwood. Allow Weitering to Zone off and fill the holes
Newman has to get Cameron

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 4:42 pm 
Geoff Southby

I guess it’s ok to highlight the issues we have in society when publicizing an AFL football game
So long as it isn’t rammed down your throat

By the way the bastion of political incorrectness
Sir Lesley Colin Patterson who sadly passed away recently would whole heartedly agree

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 4:51 pm 
Geoff Southby

BigGartos wrote:
Great analysis and discussion.
But as I was reading all I could think of is if we get smashed in the midfield none of the above matters much.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Unfortunately you are 100%, that is where our issues have been for a while.
We are slow and lack inside mids that can kick the ball and hit those F50 targets lace out.
This puts the pressure on all other positions going forward.
But like Farmer keeps pointing out, when we have a full squad we will also have some wiggle room to try new things and hopefully correct this.
Still blue skies ahead.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 245 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next