Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:44 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:05 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

We are still in the 8 and have WC next week but it seems fair to say most posters concur the team is not playing well and arguably are regressing. I can't see them making finals on current form. WC have scored more points than us FFS.

Is it time for the players led by the leaders to have a line in the sand moment with the entire list?

It is obviously not just about the coaching.

Reason I ask this is, I think virtually all the players are underperforming, making the sort of mistakes that simply should not be made.

Harry's kicking.
Jack missing that soda was a turning point.
One poster said Cerra played a good game but he had 2 terrible kicks early.
Cripps has been inconsistent this year.

It's just mistakes mistakes mistakes.
It's not what good teams do.

So when will the players take accountability and get serious?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:16 am 
Harry Vallence

Lose to WCE and we are in big trouble

I am not sure it's a line in the sand as we don't have the cattle available.

I watched the replay this morning. I just don't understand why we play so slow and then bomb it in. Sides are just closing us down and picking us off and we aren't playing to our strengths. I don't get it

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:22 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

FarmerBlue wrote:

I watched the replay this morning. I just don't understand why we play so slow and then bomb it in. Sides are just closing us down and picking us off and we aren't playing to our strengths. I don't get it

Don't have the cattle?
I know we are missing 3 key rebounding defenders but that's about it.
Martin is done. Move on.
Cuners the same. He hasn't achieved anything anyhow.
All teams have injuries.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:33 am 
Harry Vallence

Paddycripps wrote:
FarmerBlue wrote:

Don't have the cattle?
I know we are missing 3 key rebounding defenders but that's about it.
Martin is done. Move on.
Cuners the same. He hasn't achieved anything anyhow.
All teams have injuries.

Not disagreeing. Our list is thin and missing Williams Docherty Saad Boyd Owies hurts us badly because of it

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:53 am 
Geoff Southby

Yeah , well , this game is the make us or break us game 100% agree . Step up , or step down . On the win loss situation we are tracking as i expected us to do . But this game is a pivotal moment awaiting us . So yeah , its a line in the sand game for sure .

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:35 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Mickstar wrote:
Yeah , well , this game is the make us or break us game 100% agree . Step up , or step down . On the win loss situation we are tracking as i expected us to do . But this game is a pivotal moment awaiting us . So yeah , its a line in the sand game for sure .

Could definitely break us Mick but not sure knocking off the 17th team is a “make us” moment.

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:35 am 
Harry Vallence

It may be a bit late for the line in the sand game

I think we have missed the boat with our rebuild

This list is not capable of winning a premiership and another rebuild may be on the cards

Our early draft picks have been extremely disappointing. Haven’t really nailed a draft since 2015.

Also, the constant changes of coaches hasn’t helped our game and player development, which in my view is the foundation of winning a premiership

Our captain is 27 now and has yet to play finals. I don’t believe this is the outcome the club was expecting when it announced its 66 game rebuild in 2015.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:38 am 
Bruce Doull

It's definitely line in the sand time at the selection table this week.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:49 am 
Geoff Southby

GWS wrote:
Mickstar wrote:

Could definitely break us Mick but not sure knocking off the 17th team is a “make us” moment.

Yeah , i reckon its nothing to do with WC being 17th but the moment in time . Its sort of a pivotal moment no matter who the opponent . To me it would be the same if we were playing a top side . A sorta edge of a cliff moment .

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:55 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

I can't get over the vision of several players across half back waving their arms around looking totally lost and confused about how to move the ball and how there was nobody to kick to.

That is SYSTEM, or lack thereof.

Hate to say it but that sort of shit is the seeds of a coach losing the players.
When the players can't see the game plan works.
Yeah St.K under Ross are the toughest of defenses.
But I don't accept excuses.
Are we going to roll out excuses if we lose to Brisbane, Collingwood, Melbourne, Essendon*, Sydney in the coming 4-6 weeks?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:58 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Mickstar wrote:
GWS wrote:
Mickstar wrote:

Yeah , i reckon its nothing to do with WC being 17th but the moment in time . Its sort of a pivotal moment no matter who the opponent . To me it would be the same if we were playing a top side . A sorta edge of a cliff moment .

WC will fancy themselves this weekend.
Prime time.
On their home turf.
Their coach will be telling them all week they have a better offense than us (the stats don't lie).
Their coach will be telling them all week Carlton are mediocre at best.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:36 pm 
Geoff Southby

Paddycripps wrote:
Mickstar wrote:
GWS wrote:
Mickstar wrote:

WC will fancy themselves this weekend.
Prime time.
On their home turf.
Their coach will be telling them all week they have a better offense than us (the stats don't lie).
Their coach will be telling them all week Carlton are mediocre at best.

Exactly Paddy . Make no mistake it is a big big game that we will need to be up for .

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 2:11 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Last 5 years Carlton points for vs against differential and % (rounded) ...

2023 -37 (92%)
2022 +143 (108%)
2021 -226 (89%)
2020 -61 (94%)
2019 -296 (84%)

Tell me we haven't gone backwards

Now it is only 6 games and the differential could be +ve after next week but we have a horror run after that and we all know % doesn't lie

Something has to give

Sorry for being negative.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:17 pm 
Harry Vallence

Paddycripps wrote:

2023 -37 (92%)
2022 +143 (108%)
2021 -226 (89%)
2020 -61 (94%)
2019 -296 (84%)

Now it is only 6 games and the differential could be +ve after next week but we have a horror run after that and we all know % doesn't lie

Something has to give

Its not "being negative", its a FACT. There are only 6 teams which have a lower % than us. Yes they are not in the top 8, BUT at least 3 of them are only a half game behind us in points.

With regards to the teams currently in the top 8, we are 10% lower than the next "lowest". with every over team in the 8 we are much lower than them!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:28 pm 
Harry Vallence

Yes this is a line in he sand game, regardless of the opposition being West Coast, who realistically, on our exposed form at least from the last two games are well and truly able to win.

Further, 6 rounds in (from next week) if we dont make some sort of statement and show a massive response, that will not help the mental fragility of the team mindset going forward for the much "tougher" games following.

At the start of the season, I said making finals is not negotiable, I even said they should be going for a top 4 finish. The top 4 part is unlikely, but finals still is and should be a MUST, and I'd suggest winning at least one final is also.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 5:51 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

BluesRockMyWorld wrote:
Paddycripps wrote:

2023 -37 (92%)
2022 +143 (108%)
2021 -226 (89%)
2020 -61 (94%)
2019 -296 (84%)

Something has to give

Its not "being negative", its a FACT. There are only 6 teams which have a lower % than us. Yes they are not in the top 8, BUT at least 3 of them are only a half game behind us in points.

With regards to the teams currently in the top 8, we are 10% lower than the next "lowest". with every over team in the 8 we are much lower than them!

Careful. We aren't allowed to call it how we see it. Some posters don't like it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:21 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Posted in the WC thread so I've copied it here...
Lowey_47 wrote:
The wce game plan will be to drop some players back. Carlton will match them up and continually bomb to curnow and Mackay, then Eagles play the paddock when bursting out of the congestion

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
The positives are that we changed some basic things after the Adelaide game... The Dumb thing is we should have known what the Saints were going to do, yet other than try and retain possession we didn't know what to (see Hoppers Q1 goal against Dees tonight)....

The only way we lose this is being out coached...
(or are the players too dumb to change what they should do... probably both... still part of coaching).... .

lose this and it's probably proof the coach and assistants can't.... =... Curtains

Go Blues

Go Blues