Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:08 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 205 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:29 pm 
Ken Hunter

FarmerBlue wrote:
I am not concerned about us as a club. We are doing well especially off ground

Issue for me at the moment is our list. It is thin and needs rectifying. Things can change quickly

How many times do you rebuild? How many times have we rebuild the list?
We are living in denial. The problem is our culture. We are happy ‘with close enough is good enough’.
We think thing will just happen because we have high end talent. Problem is, no one wants to work hard enough.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:49 pm 
Harry Vallence

SurreyBlue wrote:
FarmerBlue wrote:
I am not concerned about us as a club. We are doing well especially off ground

Issue for me at the moment is our list. It is thin and needs rectifying. Things can change quickly

How many times do you rebuild? How many times have we rebuild the list?
We are living in denial. The problem is our culture. We are happy ‘with close enough is good enough’.
We think thing will just happen because we have high end talent. Problem is, no one wants to work hard enough.

Who said rebuild?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:48 pm 
Ken Hunter

I would argue our list is better than 17 other teams. The problem isn’t depth, talent, injuries or balance. The problem is above the shoulders. We need to understand what success looks like and means. After watching our second half against StKilda, I’m convinced the issue is above the shoulders. It can be fixed, but some chains need to be rattled for the message to get through.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:43 am 
Geoff Southby

SurreyBlue wrote:
I would argue our list is better than 17 other teams. The problem isn’t depth, talent, injuries or balance. The problem is above the shoulders. We need to understand what success looks like and means. After watching our second half against StKilda, I’m convinced the issue is above the shoulders. It can be fixed, but some chains need to be rattled for the message to get through.

And this is the culture issue we have, the supporters and senior club figures expectations.
Our list is not that good, we lack depth and maturity.
And annually injured players are a major source of that problem.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 11:06 am 
Bruce Doull

Times like this I really miss Wookie's Carlton-Only Youtube highlights channel.

I ain't watching this shit.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 11:44 am 
Ken Hunter

Yep the list needs more depth for sure. People say Collingwood turned it around quick, but they have leaders who have played/won finals - we have a leader who has never played a final. Its depth and experience and then injuries - we must be strong with those perennial injured players, let them go and build a group where most are on the park.

Really in my head it should have been Cunners not Setters and Philip not Stocker. That would have given us 2 more options - I know they ar enot world beaters but world beaters who are never on the park????

My issue/concern is around selections.

Dow deserves chances when he constantly knocks on the door (and we are playing poorly)
Binns should be given a run (someone mentioned Hollands to HBF - I like the idea, then Binns to his wing?)
Carroll deserves a chance (and not as sub) - let Fish sub if he m ust play - though I'd drop him (might be handy in the last when others are tired)

Then there is TDK, Harry, SOS and Curnow - how best to arrange them, who to have supporting them. What I wouldn't give for HFF who is strong overhead, a good kick and has a bit of speed.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:26 pm 
Wayne Johnston

What are Dow's GPS numbers like? When he plays in ones (not sub) I seem to remember his TOG is low. We need players with high endurance. Not the opposite.

I don't think we have players to play a fast open chaotic game at the moment. We have one trick available to us. Dominate onball including direct centre clearances and keep things controlled defensively. Other than that we dont have the fitness/elite runners, no rebound, enough good small forwards and our tall forwards arent in good inside 50 marking form.
Voss is a little stuck until we get some more running power.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:39 pm 
Harry Vallence

Sidefx wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:

And this is the culture issue we have, the supporters and senior club figures expectations.

I think our top end is very good but we fall away quickly and injuries have highlighted that

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:50 pm 
Geoff Southby

FarmerBlue wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:

I think our top end is very good but we fall away quickly and injuries have highlighted that

:thumbsup:
We also lack depth in our mid and lower tier of well rounded "footballers".

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 3:58 pm 
Harry Vallence

Sidefx wrote:
FarmerBlue wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:

:thumbsup:
We also lack depth in our mid and lower tier of well rounded "footballers".

Agree but it can be fixed quickly if we are smart

Two picks in mid season draft and then trade TDK & McGovern for 3 picks inside Top 30. Move on around 8-10 players

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:03 pm 
formerly BlueRob

SurreyBlue wrote:

:thumbsup: :clap:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:19 pm 
Geoff Southby

FarmerBlue wrote:

Agree but it can be fixed quickly if we are smart

Two picks in mid season draft and then trade TDK & McGovern for 3 picks inside Top 30. Move on around 8-10 players

I probably wouldn't go that heavy.
I'd trade TDK if he does want to leave.
I'd trade in a mature quick inside mid with foot skills if there are any available.
I'd also look for another mature ruck if they are around.
And a small forward with some x-factor.
And if there are any other mature fringe midfielders that have pace and can kick that want a game elsewhere, have a serious look at them.
Hewett and Kennedy are good, but they need back ups due to their injury history.
In an ideal world, some of the current listed players could back them up.
Still it's only the start of the season, we were always going to lose a couple and TBH, I didn't have us wining many games in the first half anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:39 pm 
John James

sammywaslow wrote:
Effes wrote:
Probably the worst small/medium forward stocks in the competition.

And yet some people think Motlop is the next BIG thing?
He and Corey will probably play every game this year but neither has any idea about small forward craft. Always out of position, flat footed, don’t seem to ever be at the fall of the ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i think Motlop has improved out of sight compared with the games he played last year. what you say could be accurate for most of last year. but he’s making better decisions and finding field position better so he’s less regularly in a one on one with a six foot tall defender.

this vindicates Voss playing him so young i think. pity there’s no small forward like Eddie Betts around to teach him some craft.

the ball movement is way to slow. by the time our back three have switched to the play to the other side of the D50 Saints had flooded across that side and the corridor. so we’d try and pick our way through the outer corridor ne wing and half the time turn it over.

when saints switched the play they would do it with everyone running as they marked and kicked. which allowed someone to lead into east space. i get they want to slow it down at times but not ALL THE TIME. under what’s his name as coach (Teague) we had the opposite problem. downhill skiers. i don’t think it’s the players i think it’s the system and “structures”. just not dynamic enough for the modern game.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:40 pm 
John James

murraycray wrote:
As long as we have Fisher, Honey and O.Brien in a Carlton guernsey get used to this happening.

you left out plowman.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:41 pm 
John James

sammywaslow wrote:
The_Cranium wrote:
It's time to say it. We had Ross. We decided to run a "process" and lost Ross in the process and the process has produced yet another @#$%&! up. Another coach that isn't good enough. And yet another failed rebuild. We'll trod along in mediocrity for another 18 months. Finally realise we've [REDACTED] it up yet again. Sack Voss. Run another process and probably blow it all up and start all over again. We're not playing finals for another generation.

I’m beyond perplexed. The Kayo commentary (ugh, that commentary) pointed out how everyone at St Kilda knows their role and responsibilities, and they have a very clear game plan which they adhere to rigorously. There’s obviously a backhander for Voss in that statement. But surely there’s more to it? How do you account for our crucial skill errors and brain fades at critical junctures?

Because we’re not.good.enough.

don’t underestimate the influence of the Football Gods.

something is off and it stinks.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:43 pm 
John James

Teddy Hopkins wrote:
Not so much the players it is the game plan. The aints prove that.

Today we moved the ball well up to the centre / half forward lines. Then bomb it long in the hope Charlie or Harry can get on the end of it. If it is one on one, good idea. If it is flooded bad idea.

Why not have a plan B where we chip it around, the forwards move around, untjl an opening is found. When was the last time we did that as a deliberate plan? All our forwards are mobile up to big H.

as even the commentators are saying (apart from Harry’s lack of kicking technique – whichever option he takes) our mids aren’t hitting the scoreboard and aren’t even threatening to (unless you count a few behinds per game to the Captain).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:45 pm 
John James

missnaut wrote:
We are shit to watch too.

Last year we were enjoyable to watch and this year I think we've had one decent quarter.

i thought so. i don’t think we dominated play in the first half the way the stats flattered us.

Walshy was on fire even with his small linkman possessions just showing the way forward. he plays like he’s in collingwood but doesn’t have the runners to go with him. Acres is great. Holland will come on i reckon.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:46 pm 
John James

Sydney Blue wrote:
+86 disposals
Halved the clearances
Won the hit outs
Won un contested possession
Won the contested possession
Walsh 38
Cerra career high 39
Acres career high 36
Newman career high 28
Cincotta 24 in his first game
Hewett 29
Cripps 34
Harry career high 14 marks
Fisher and Holland 22

How on earth do you lose this game

Questions need to be asked of Clarke and Hansen

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk

newman turned it over way too many times. directly led to a Saints goal at least once i think.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:50 pm 
John James

cortez wrote:
The_Cranium wrote:
It's time to say it. We had Ross. We decided to run a "process" and lost Ross in the process and the process has produced yet another @#$%&! up. Another coach that isn't good enough. And yet another failed rebuild. We'll trod along in mediocrity for another 18 months. Finally realise we've [REDACTED] it up yet again. Sack Voss. Run another process and probably blow it all up and start all over again. We're not playing finals for another generation.

I don't think it would matter who was coaching this team. The playing list isn't down to Voss (yet). Carlton are coach killers. Ross must be thanking his lucky stars that he didn't end up coaching us. I really believe our ongoing lack of success is in large part down to our recruiters. Too many who can't kick, too many who are injury prone (many on large, long term contracts), too many who are built like scrawny 14 year olds, too many who are too slow, too many who are soft as butter when the pressure is on. Look at Hawthorn in their recent glory days; chock full of players who were hard as nails and good users of the ball. I despair of this club.

watching the post match interview with Ross Lyon i thought, well there’s a man who’s learnt from his struggles and is showing some humility and humanity. then oh how the smug returned to form.

“felt like we could keep going (kicking away in the third) but just decided (hey it’s only Carlton FC) well just play keeping’s of (and get to the ice baths with five minutes less added time). “

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:18 pm 
John James

redback wrote:
Teddy Hopkins wrote:
Not so much the players it is the game plan. The aints prove that.

Today we moved the ball well up to the centre / half forward lines. Then bomb it long in the hope Charlie or Harry can get on the end of it. If it is one on one, good idea. If it is flooded bad idea.

Why not have a plan B where we chip it around, the forwards move around, untjl an opening is found. When was the last time we did that as a deliberate plan? All our forwards are mobile up to big H.

they allowed us to move it up to the back half, they flooded our forward line, brought it to ground then spread and killed us on the rebound and with speed.

interesting concept vossy, no

yep.

it’s like Voss had never seen a Ross Lyons team play. let alone a Ross Lyons St Kilda play. sucked in completely. i like the energy and conifer ce he brings david parkin he is not (yet). always though his columns in the media years ago were smart arsy bs too. i hope he can turn it round. midfield is getting beaten every week even when we are first to the ball we are not scoring from this occasional dominance.

yet when we got dominated by North in the midfield (which was a red flag game) we scored more freely. perplexing. no flow is easy to say. not sure why, last year was exciting to watch for the most part. i only watched replays and would ride my pushie around Princes Park during the game willing the guys on as i listened on the radio. win lose or draw it was good to watch on replay.

now it’s boring and frustrating to watch. like watching a Ross Lyon coached team that is fizzing out like freo haha.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 205 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next