Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:17 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 5:33 pm 
Geoff Southby

Thanks, mouldyhouse was the main culprit shit canning mclovin so I guess I should have known it was bollocks

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 5:46 pm 
Bruce Doull

Most of TC shitcanned him also :lol:

Sent from my Nokia G21 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 5:46 pm 
Rod Ashman

Norf is the only team this year to have kicked 4 unanswered goals against us.
And hopefully the last.
Go Blues!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 7:33 pm 
Craig Bradley

Unreal pressure numbers for both Motlop & Durdin.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 11:21 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

grrofunger wrote:
Highest Marvel crowd for 10 years
According to the AFL, North have done a great job promoting this game....

To be fair, I was there and I DID SEE a North supporter :thumbsup:

Go Blues

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 11:34 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Blue Vain wrote:
I know I'm repetitive about this guy but you set your standards with selection. As long as Lochie O'Brien is getting a game, the message to the list is that short steps and weak efforts will be tolerated.
Body size is no excuse. Hollands is as lightly built as anyone and he never shirks a contest. Same with Cerra. He's as tough as any.
Time for Voss to set some minimum standards. Your physical standards as a team are set by your weakest link.

Once again the backline held up well. Although I would have bought in Cincotta. Carroll was a strange choice IMO and Honey isn't AFL standard. McGovern is still a bit humbly but his ball use from defence is elite. Durdin isn't getting the rewards at the moment but I love his intensity.
Charlie is a freak. When you consider he is shorter than some of the midfielders in the game, his aerial work is superb. And the fact he's a brilliant kick makes him even more dangerous.

A good hitout but a shit finish. Vossy wont be happy and it gives us a definite area for improvement to focus on.
Not sure what is worse...
LOB getting a game, or when he IS playing, his team mates kicking a ball to him when he is one on one with his opponent......

If he's getting a game, can we at least get the coaches to check if Mother Theresa is playing on him... OTHERWISE don't f&$#ing do that

Go Blues

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:59 am 
Ken Hunter

Blue Vain wrote:
I know I'm repetitive about this guy but you set your standards with selection. As long as Lochie O'Brien is getting a game, the message to the list is that short steps and weak efforts will be tolerated.
Body size is no excuse. Hollands is as lightly built as anyone and he never shirks a contest. Same with Cerra. He's as tough as any.
Time for Voss to set some minimum standards. Your physical standards as a team are set by your weakest link.

Once again the backline held up well. Although I would have bought in Cincotta. Carroll was a strange choice IMO and Honey isn't AFL standard. McGovern is still a bit humbly but his ball use from defence is elite. Durdin isn't getting the rewards at the moment but I love his intensity.
Charlie is a freak. When you consider he is shorter than some of the midfielders in the game, his aerial work is superb. And the fact he's a brilliant kick makes him even more dangerous.

A good hitout but a shit finish. Vossy wont be happy and it gives us a definite area for improvement to focus on.

Spot on. :clap:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 10:12 am 
Rod Ashman

Traveller86 wrote:
The last 4 goals don’t worry me as much as the first half. Voss in his presser said the players were simply not following instructions in the first half. Seems again it’s difficult to have this group switched on for the full four quarters, which is why I keep ripping my hair out and feel like I’ve run a marathon each time I watch Carlton.

I hope the “click” comes sooner rather than later because this Jekyll and Hyde football is going to break our hearts again.

Also, those last 4 goals = another $5,000 for the children’s hospital, so not a bad thing at all.

Pretty sure the RCH would still have got the additional $5k if it was us kicking those 4 goals… ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 11:12 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Vain wrote:

I think its much too early to write of 21yo Honey after 13 games.

He's been selected for 2 stints of 4 and 5 games abnd was retained in the team, only for injury to cruel him. Last year he had an interupted preseason but he got into the team and kicked long set shots at goal, was team focussed assisting goals he could have gone for himself, is a tough tackler, has athletic pedigree.

I know Vossy loves him as a footballer, and he backs him too for obvious reasons imo. If you ever get the chance to speak with Vossy, ask him what he thinks of Honey. You will be surprised.

Crusader debated against his inclusion in the best 22 before 2022 got underway, but he didn't write him off, but had strong argument why he wasn't ready for Best 22. Honey was in a lot of Best 22 teams last year. That may be just on potential and from the little bits of pure football he displayed, but flower he's on the radar of the coaches and most supporters, because he's shown great football qualities. And you write him off.

Farmer Blue thinks he's not a hf BUT a HB because of his speed and ability, but it must be also because he's a footballer first then athlete, unlike LOB the athlete who has played 65 games and still doesnt fill anyone with confidence he's a footballer. But you've had this is your 6th year of viewing LOB.

Sydney Blue had this to say about Honey "Nah". Whatever that means but I will take that as a bust, without any explanation. So, you're not on your own writing off a 21yo whose played only 13 games.

Honey had 11 kicks on the weekend 100% Def, kicked a goal in only 41% game time as a small forward.

Dow, SPS, Fisher, LOB, Stocker, Fogarty were all round 1 and 2 picks...high picks....Honey was a rookie, albeit pick 3, but a rookie nonetheless, and he's still on the list. He's only 21yo and was just selected yesterday. The players like him. He's fun. He's good for teams culture (Farmer should know that). He's got time to develop in a good system with good coaches and I can see why he will be given more chances. "Nah" doesn't cut it with me.

I just can't see him being delisted because he's not an AFL footballer: quite the contrary. Maybe he is superfluous to our needs because we have a plethora of small forwards or half backs, but not because he isnt an AFL footballer.

I'm a glass half full guy. I can see what Honey brings to the game that the abovementioned high picks dont. I see a lot of upside. I will leave the writing off of players at the end of the year, rather than after round 4, and back the decisions of Vossy and co. I just dont think Austin has 21yo Honey's paper stamped.

Honey got selected on the weekend ahead of first round picks Dow and Fogarty. I'm sure he was selected because he is a developing AFL footballer and next in line for a like for like swap. Previous years he's kept his spot in the team, but his week I expect him to make way for the established players Walsh Kennedy and Acres coming into the team. There's also Martin coming back too, but then again, Honey was a like for like replacement for Owies, so who really knows? He's in the frame for 2023 and I'd back for future years too at this stage of his career.

I'm curious what your take on what's wrong with Honey, other than his age and experience?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 11:33 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

SurreyBlue wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:

Which bit? All of it?

I agree with the logic of the LOB point, because its self explanatory and supported by Hollands and Cerra comparison.

What does "Humbly" mean in footy terms?

Cincotta instead of Carroll?

Honey is not AFL standard?

Durdin not getting the rewards for effort? That's sort of justified, but Durdin, like others needs to show rewards. Compare Durdin's rewards with Honey's. Why not?

Charlie is a freak, which is also explained.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 12:14 pm 
Geoff Southby

bondiblue wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:

He's been selected for 2 stints of 4 and 5 games abnd was retained in the team, only for injury to cruel him. Last year he had an interupted preseason but he got into the team and kicked long set shots at goal, was team focussed assisting goals he could have gone for himself, is a tough tackler, has athletic pedigree.

I know Vossy loves him as a footballer, and he backs him too for obvious reasons imo. If you ever get the chance to speak with Vossy, ask him what he thinks of Honey. You will be surprised.

Crusader debated against his inclusion in the best 22 before 2022 got underway, but he didn't write him off, but had strong argument why he wasn't ready for Best 22. Honey was in a lot of Best 22 teams last year. That may be just on potential and from the little bits of pure football he displayed, but flower he's on the radar of the coaches and most supporters, because he's shown great football qualities. And you write him off.

Farmer Blue thinks he's not a hf BUT a HB because of his speed and ability, but it must be also because he's a footballer first then athlete, unlike LOB the athlete who has played 65 games and still doesnt fill anyone with confidence he's a footballer. But you've had this is your 6th year of viewing LOB.

Sydney Blue had this to say about Honey "Nah". Whatever that means but I will take that as a bust, without any explanation. So, you're not on your own writing off a 21yo whose played only 13 games.

Honey had 11 kicks on the weekend 100% Def, kicked a goal in only 41% game time as a small forward.

Dow, SPS, Fisher, LOB, Stocker, Fogarty were all round 1 and 2 picks...high picks....Honey was a rookie, albeit pick 3, but a rookie nonetheless, and he's still on the list. He's only 21yo and was just selected yesterday. The players like him. He's fun. He's good for teams culture (Farmer should know that). He's got time to develop in a good system with good coaches and I can see why he will be given more chances. "Nah" doesn't cut it with me.

I just can't see him being delisted because he's not an AFL footballer: quite the contrary. Maybe he is superfluous to our needs because we have a plethora of small forwards or half backs, but not because he isnt an AFL footballer.

I'm a glass half full guy. I can see what Honey brings to the game that the abovementioned high picks dont. I see a lot of upside. I will leave the writing off of players at the end of the year, rather than after round 4, and back the decisions of Vossy and co. I just dont think Austin has 21yo Honey's paper stamped.

Honey got selected on the weekend ahead of first round picks Dow and Fogarty. I'm sure he was selected because he is a developing AFL footballer and next in line for a like for like swap. Previous years he's kept his spot in the team, but his week I expect him to make way for the established players Walsh Kennedy and Acres coming into the team. There's also Martin coming back too, but then again, Honey was a like for like replacement for Owies, so who really knows? He's in the frame for 2023 and I'd back for future years too at this stage of his career.

I'm curious what your take on what's wrong with Honey, other than his age and experience?

Superb work Bondi . Reckon it should be " Chesty Bondi " .

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 12:54 pm 
Ken Hunter

bondiblue wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:

Which bit? All of it?

Every single bit.
Honey was an incorrect selection. He obviously has his followers and that's nice but again he did nothing to show me he has what is required. Very little pressure applied by him and definitely didn't get much ball. None of this is new. I'll add - who created more pressure Motlop or Honey?
Durdin played a little higher, so I won't include him but 2 chased and tackled like men possessed! I wouldn't play Honey or OB or anyone until they prove they can maintain aggressive defensive pressure in the VFL. If it's good enough for some it should be for ALL.
Sorry - O'B lost me on Friday. Big supporter previously but we need to be ruthless and make some statements.
If it's your turn - you go 100%, put your head over the ball and chase/tackle like a person possessed - no matter if your Cripps or Hollands.
BTW - Our captain's first half needs to be reviewed with him. :wink:

I think I've made my point. You don't have to agree but that is my view.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 2:17 pm 
Harry Vallence

bondiblue wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:

Great write up BB. :clap: I have said it since he was drafted. Honey is NOT a forward.

He is a great runner, a beautiful long kick and tough. He is a straight ahead runner. He has small running defender written all over him. Voss PLEASE try him there

He is very popular team member and trains hard. If he can prove to be a best 22 player we are better off

A small forward needs goal sense, to be nimble and turn quickly and a bit of X factor. That's not him

PS It's interesting that Fogarty has been used as an inside mid (his junior role) in the last few weeks and has been very impressive

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:26 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

SurreyBlue wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:

Which bit? All of it?

Every single bit.
Honey was an incorrect selection. He obviously has his followers and that's nice but again he did nothing to show me he has what is required. Very little pressure applied by him and definitely didn't get much ball. None of this is new. I'll add - who created more pressure Motlop or Honey?
Durdin played a little higher, so I won't include him but 2 chased and tackled like men possessed! I wouldn't play Honey or OB or anyone until they prove they can maintain aggressive defensive pressure in the VFL. If it's good enough for some it should be for ALL.
Sorry - O'B lost me on Friday. Big supporter previously but we need to be ruthless and make some statements.
If it's your turn - you go 100%, put your head over the ball and chase/tackle like a person possessed - no matter if your Cripps or Hollands.
BTW - Our captain's first half needs to be reviewed with him. :wink:

I think I've made my point. You don't have to agree but that is my view.

I know its just an opinion, but I'm looking for something a bit more empirical that gives good reason to write off a 21yo kid playing his 13th game. A kid who was a tad too aggressive in his early days, and now is playing a more outside role.

Did he play his role? My suspicion is he had instructions to play a role, and not get sucked into the contest. I'm just guessing, but hey, we won convincingly when the "forward line jelled" as Vossy said.

I've known you to be wrong many a time Surrey. LOB is just another one, but you gave him 6 years and 65 games before you saw the light, so I think being extremely harsh on Honey because of a vibe is bit weird TBH. I like what I saw of Honey in the reserves in the games Ive watched him play. He's got that dirty mongrel thing about him, and looks like an angel.

I just don't know how you can write off Honey with the explanation you just gave. But you did. That's cool.

I just wanted to find out if there was something I was missing. As I said, Vossy likes him, and the MC pick him when he's available and he fits a need, and did so as a rookie listed 19yo, then as a promoted the 20yo to senior list and now 21yo young man with the future ahead of him. He's ticking boxes, but not for a few, and he's being selected. The MC know what they are doing. I'll back them every day of the week.

You can give us your gut feeling and that is appreciated and respected a lot, but picking out Motlop and leaving out Durdin for the comparison is very convenient and says not much about Honey's weaknesses. I love Durdin and Motlop and love their pressure, but lets face it, their pressure hasnt been a feature every game thus far, and I love what all our players bring. The question isn't about comparing Motlop and Durdin with Honey, its a question asking why you would write off a 21yo player whose only played 13 games? I think Honey will be replaced by 22yo Owies when he's fit. I said I think based on like for like and availability trends shown by MC.

LOB brings running but no football nous. Sometimes we need that. There comes a time when their luck runs out, the list profile changes and players are no longer seen as required. Honey will fall victim to that like all players do, but I have a feeling he is appreciated by the MC and we will see at the end of the year if is valued and kept on the list.

The list is looking great when we have everyone available, and these peripheral players will have to bide their time for opportunity, and Honey being only 21yo, with a few weapons, looks like time and talent is on his side to me. Hey, with a fit list, he may not get another chance this year to break back into the 2023 Premiership Team and remain as depth :wink: Aldi depth. Good depth. :grin:

Thanks for the response. You're a true Blue. Keep up the passion coz we are going places with or without Honey.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:30 pm 
Geoff Southby

Thats right Bondi , Honey has got a bit of mongrel in him . Apart from Honey , only Durdin and Owies are the only one's with shit in them . Not enough so hang onto what you have .

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:31 pm 
Harry Vallence

Honey was played because Voss wanted another mobile forward with Owies out and Martin unavailable. It's structure more than anything

I hope at years end (or even mid year) we can recruit another genuine X factor small forward.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 6:01 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

FarmerBlue wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:

Great write up BB. :clap: I have said it since he was drafted. Honey is NOT a forward.

He is a great runner, a beautiful long kick and tough. He is a straight ahead runner. He has small running defender written all over him. Voss PLEASE try him there

He is very popular team member and trains hard. If he can prove to be a best 22 player we are better off

A small forward needs goal sense, to be nimble and turn quickly and a bit of X factor. That's not him

PS It's interesting that Fogarty has been used as an inside mid (his junior role) in the last few weeks and has been very impressive

Agree with the highlighted green bit.

I know he's bundled in the small forwards group, but I see Honey as a HHF, like Martin and Fisher. I dont see Honey competing with the nimble smalls we have, but he was selected based on the like for like mantra, for the injured Owies.

I also agree with your reasoning he is a HBF. . But in the meantime we have blokes his size ageing in the backline but will be around for a couple more years: Doc 30, Saad 29, Williams 29 and Boyd

Point is he's only 21yo and has plenty of time to further develop in different positions and roles. He's not a bust at 21yo and he has those attributes required to play at the top level, you mention, and for all we know, maybe more tricks than we know.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 6:05 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Dow and Fogarty are inside mids imo

Unfortunate for them, there's a bit of a queue now for that role when our best are available.

Add Doc to the Fab 5, and yes, we have the Fab 6 playing the Blues in the Midfield Band.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 6:26 pm 
Rod Ashman

SurreyBlue wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:

Agree 100%

I also called for Cincotta to come in to allow Doc more time in the midfield, his presence around the stoppages went a long way in us controlling the game after half time.

O'Brien's lack of desperation and willingness to put his body on the line is hurting us. Cerra on the other hand cops a big hit to the face and he just rolled up his sleeves and kept going.

Honey made some terrible decisions and looked lost. Has missed a lot of footy and hopefully he can improve from here as he does have some good attributes. I suspect he will need to show some progress to stay on the list next year.

Durdin and Motlop provide great pressure and will only get better.

Once again, Silvagni's position is very vulnerable and he would want to make the most of his opportunities. Too many almost marks, field kicking is a worry and he is 50/50 on goal. Lucky for him we do lack another mid/tall to play that role. Martin is the first that comes to mind but we all know his body struggles to hold up.

The puzzle is coming together nicely however O'Brien is definitely our weakest link. Walsh will provide the lack of pace around the ball that we are screaming out for.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 7:20 pm 
Ken Hunter

@Bondiblue - when it comes to footballers, I don’t go by ‘vibe’.
I do go by viewing and playing some football over the years.
Some you get right, some not so, that’s not specific to a vibe, just a thought process.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next