Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:18 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:34 pm 
Rod Ashman

I would be very surprised if we put Cowan on Toby. His 2 games in, let him continue to do what he’s doing and gradually up the ante as the season progresses. Don’t give him one of the best players so soon.
I also v much doubt they will play Plowman. The straight play would be Newman. Could maybe put Saad onto him as a way to make him be more accountable but I’m not sure that would work out well for us.
Ed for Coniglio.
After last week, I’m happy to let the MC do their thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:35 pm 
Harry Vallence

Paddycripps wrote:
All jokes aside I mean Toby.
Tom is a fine player but Toby is AA any day every day.
It is a bit like playing Richmond, you have to keep Lynch to 2 goals or less.
Same with Toby. He kicks 4+ and they are in the game most days.

Has to be Newman. Can't see anyone else doing the job?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:32 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

FarmerBlue wrote:
Paddycripps wrote:

Agree

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:34 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Weather in Sydney a bit humid, and showers to continue right through to Saturday.

It will be slippery.
I doubt the sun will come out and if it does its going to be humid and sticky.

We like contested footy and hitting the opposition harder than they hit us.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:26 pm 
Harry Vallence

Play 2 ruckmen in the wet? Pitto sub?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:51 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

FarmerBlue wrote:
Paddycripps wrote:

I suspect that'll be the case.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:53 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Wojee wrote:
Carlton *should* win this handily, but this team has scarred me.
Yep...

Cake of soap game..... We've been pumped up in the media all week....

We'll see what happens and how much we've matured and learnt

Go Blues

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:00 am 
Rod Ashman

To be honest, I’ve thought the media has been relatively muted on us so far. Mostly focused on Collingwood and then the Melbourne, Bulldogs trajectories. And a bit about Geelong - most of the commentary I’ve heard is about whether Geelong should be worried by the form. The references to us have been about us returning to faster footy after the previous week against Richmond.
But I do think the pressure is on (internally) now that we’ve come through the first two games reasonably well placed and have 5 games that look easier on paper.
I do believe we should be better than all these teams but it is another thing for us to go out and beat teams that are at or below our capability ‘band’ and also to win more than 2 or 3 games consecutively.
We will learn a lot about ourselves over the next month or so.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:21 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

17th Premiership wrote:
To be honest, I’ve thought the media has been relatively muted on us so far. Mostly focused on Collingwood and then the Melbourne, Bulldogs trajectories. And a bit about Geelong - most of the commentary I’ve heard is about whether Geelong should be worried by the form. The references to us have been about us returning to faster footy after the previous week against Richmond.
But I do think the pressure is on (internally) now that we’ve come through the first two games reasonably well placed and have 5 games that look easier on paper.
I do believe we should be better than all these teams but it is another thing for us to go out and beat teams that are at or below our capability ‘band’ and also to win more than 2 or 3 games consecutively.

Much more eloquently put 17th... My thumbs can only type so much...
My take on the media is that the hype is gone.. (that was last year) and we've moved to expectation mode - top 8and should be top 4.....

We'll see :thumbsup:

Go Blues!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:32 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Don't underestimate GWS. They still have their strengths, and some of their weaknesses will be addressed this week if Kelly and Whitfield return.
They're still a good centre bounce team (best hitout to advantage ruck and very good centre clearance team). Their weakness is involvement on the spread which should be helped a lot by the probable return of their 2 best outside runners.

Our best chance to get them is give our forwards 1 on 1's. Their defence isn't great but we'll need to further improve our ball movement and get it in there more often. GWS average nearly 10 more inside 50's per game so they'll test us. Our defence has been exceptional to date but I don't see a natural match up for Greene. Newman is strong and looks the fittest I've seen him but Greene will be far too strong in the air. Hopefully we can implement a strategy where one of the tall defenders drops off and impacts the high ball coming in to Greene

Ed Curnow's role will be interesting. With Hewett possibly returning, does it push him back to H/F? Personally, I still think there's a role for a tagger and Ed is our best.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:46 am 
Stephen Kernahan

billc3 wrote:
17th Premiership wrote:

My take on the media is that the hype is gone.. (that was last year) and we've moved to expectation mode - top 8and should be top 4.....

Go Blues!

I think it's more that we are playing on a Thursday night so far and all the talking head shows are from Sunday-Tuesday. We are forgotten by that point as there have been another 8 games and they can't remember that far back.

Left wing moralists
In self serving denial
They shit me no end

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:07 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Heavs wrote:
billc3 wrote:
17th Premiership wrote:

Go Blues!

I think it's more that we are playing on a Thursday night so far and all the talking head shows are from Sunday-Tuesday. We are forgotten by that point as there have been another 8 games and they can't remember that far back.
:lol:

Go Blues!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:09 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Blue Vain wrote:
Don't underestimate GWS. They still have their strengths, and some of their weaknesses will be addressed this week if Kelly and Whitfield return.
They're still a good centre bounce team (best hitout to advantage ruck and very good centre clearance team). Their weakness is involvement on the spread which should be helped a lot by the probable return of their 2 best outside runners.

Our best chance to get them is give our forwards 1 on 1's. Their defence isn't great but we'll need to further improve our ball movement and get it in there more often. GWS average nearly 10 more inside 50's per game so they'll test us. Our defence has been exceptional to date but I don't see a natural match up for Greene. Newman is strong and looks the fittest I've seen him but Greene will be far too strong in the air. Hopefully we can implement a strategy where one of the tall defenders drops off and impacts the high ball coming in to Greene

Ed Curnow's role will be interesting. With Hewett possibly returning, does it push him back to H/F? Personally, I still think there's a role for a tagger and Ed is our best.
Spot on as usual BV...
Add the potentially slippery ball (humidity) and I hope we're better at the smalls being at the feet of those one on ones like round 2

Go Blues!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:54 am 
Geoff Southby

I’m not convinced that we can play Pittonet, TDK & SOJ in the same team each week. I think it will depend on the conditions and the opposition. I’d say it’s going to be a week to week MC discussion point, especially early in the season.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:50 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

aboynamedsue wrote:
I’m not convinced that we can play Pittonet, TDK & SOJ in the same team each week. I think it will depend on the conditions and the opposition. I’d say it’s going to be a week to week MC discussion point, especially early in the season.

With regards to continuing with the two-ruck model, Vossy said today:

Quote:
“I think so. We’re always trying to balance the profile of our team.

“We got some good ascendancy in the middle of the ground with ‘Pitto’ and Tom [De Koning]. It’s a model that we’re keen to continue to pursue: they both had an impact on the game.”

I'm glad to hear and read that. I'm a huge fan of 2 bonafide rucks, always have, especially for do or die games and Finals.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:17 pm 
Geoff Southby

bondiblue wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:

With regards to continuing with the two-ruck model, Vossy said today:

Quote:
“I think so. We’re always trying to balance the profile of our team.

“We got some good ascendancy in the middle of the ground with ‘Pitto’ and Tom [De Koning]. It’s a model that we’re keen to continue to pursue: they both had an impact on the game.”

I'm glad to hear and read that. I'm a huge fan of 2 bonafide rucks, always have, especially for do or die games and Finals.

So true Bondi . Carlton and two rucks go together . Always have , always will .

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:57 pm 
Harry Vallence

aboynamedsue wrote:

Same. IMO Jack is a defender trying to fit another role. I prefer the 2 rucks with Charlie & McKay surrounded by smalls

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:36 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

JSOS is a tough one.
Not a real ruck nor KPP, and with our targeting Charlie and Harry so much he doesn't really get a lot of looks.
Reason to not drop him in my view is his ball use IF50. He is a smart footballer and good user of it given time. He had a hand in at least 2 goals last week. Without him we lose some smarts IF50.

But I am all for 2 rucks.
With just one ruck, we tend to lose momentum when JSOS has to pinch hit.
And I liked how physical TDK was last week. He knows it's his time to stamp his presence on this team and solidify his appeal as a FA. He is really having a fair dinkum go at it this year.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:39 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

I think one of 2 things will happen at selection.

Maybe Hewett comes in probably for Cowan.
Or Plowman comes in for Cowan.
Could well be the latter.

I don't see more than 1 change. You don't mess with a team that just beat the premiers.

Of course there might be no changes.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:47 pm 
Harry Vallence

I'm going with Hewett for Silvagni and LOB as Sub again

I like having another mid. Looks better balanced to me and GWS aren't that tall

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next