Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:25 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sobering statistic
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 3:47 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

david31 wrote:
Here’s some more sobering statistics about our club and it’s recent history:
- In Fitzroy’s final 20 seasons before their demise in 1996, they played finals more times than Carlton in the past 20 years.
- In South Melbourne’s last 10 seasons before their demise in 1981, they played finals more times than Carlton in the last 10 years.
- Our streak of 24 consecutive years without a grand final puts us about 10th on the all time list for longest such streak (equal with North who we played in 1999).
- Our streak of 10 consecutive years without finals is approaching the top 10 for longest such streak. Apart from GC, all the top streaks predate the equalisation era which makes it even worse.

Some posters think we are going swell.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 4:31 pm 
Bruce Doull

It goes to show how awesome our supporters have been over the last 20 years though.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 5:24 pm 
Harry Vallence

We have not finished in the top four for 23 years. Basically means we have not been in contention for nearly a quarter of a century. It could be a while longer for this to change.

Clearly the worst team in the 21st century.

No idea how we have 90,000 members with so little success.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 5:27 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

I’ve raised this before - in 1944 Fitzroy were the most successful in the VFL with 8 premierships - 50 years later they were gone.

We won our last premiership in 1995 - it’s now 2023 that’s 28 years since our last flag - the next 22 years will be upon us quite quickly.

:thumbsup:

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 5:31 pm 
Ken Hunter

difference is Fitzroy and Sth Melbourne were broke - we were in danger for a while but the last 2/3 years have seen us rebuild our financial strength - now we need to do something about the on field performances

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 5:45 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Hi Danny - I’ll keep renewing my membership till the cows come home - I can’t vouch for my two children (adults of 33 and 30 now) but kids of 5 and 2 when Carlton last saluted in 1995.

How much of our financial strength will be eroded if 10% of our 90,000 members this year don’t renew next year and 10% don’t renew the year after that.

I don’t have the answer but we continue along this path - our future is very cloudy.

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 5:57 pm 
Ken Hunter

I agree if we continue along this path of "let's be the most mediocre club in the land because we're Carlton, @#$%&! the rest" at some point then the next generation will follow everything but Carlton, and we will end as a club, I just mean we are not in the broke club arena at the moment (thank God - we came close and at least that seems to have been repaired, for the time being).

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 6:12 pm 
John Nicholls

CK95 wrote:
It goes to show how awesome our supporters have been over the last 20 years though.

It does, but there's limits.

Like many things in life, it's OK until it's not. It's not broken until it is. Happens suddenly in my experience.

We love our footy club. And someone wise once said that love is a decision one makes to constantly come back to the table, to constantly put the effort in, no matter how dire or tough any situation.

Thing is. It has to be reciprocated. The love is not reciprocal between CFC club and its fans at the moment.

Truthfully, I'm not sure it has ever been - we've been a corporate club. A benefactor club. A "rich boys" club. And the cracks were papered over when we were winning flags. What's left in the absence of success?

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 6:34 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Since R11 2022 we have won just one more game than Hawthorn

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 6:41 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

robertbb wrote:
CK95 wrote:

It does, but there's limits.

Like many things in life, it's OK until it's not. It's not broken until it is. Happens suddenly in my experience.

We love our footy club. And someone wise once said that love is a decision one makes to constantly come back to the table, to constantly put the effort in, no matter how dire or tough any situation.

Thing is. It has to be reciprocated. The love is not reciprocal between CFC club and its fans at the moment.

Truthfully, I'm not sure it has ever been - we've been a corporate club. A benefactor club. A "rich boys" club. And the cracks were papered over when we were winning flags. What's left in the absence of success?

Been wondering the same thing.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 7:34 pm 
Rod Ashman

You know what they say ‘if you can’t be the best, be the worst’

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 7:48 pm 
Ken Hunter

DesEnglish wrote:
You know what they say ‘if you can’t be the best, be the worst’

That’s when everything changed for this club.

Last edited by SurreyBlue on Mon May 29, 2023 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 7:52 pm 
Wayne Johnston

WOW wrote:
We have not finished in the top four for 23 years. Basically means we have not been in contention for nearly a quarter of a century. It could be a while longer for this to change.

I'd say that is Boomer driven, once we start dying out that membership will fall off a cliff

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 9:02 am 
John Nicholls

sinbagger wrote:
WOW wrote:

I'd say that is Boomer driven, once we start dying out that membership will fall off a cliff

At least there's a silver lining in all this.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 4:10 pm 
Ken Hands

sinbagger wrote:
WOW wrote:

Dunno, I reckon it might take a generation after that, at least.

I'm just old enough to remember 95, and I see a lot of Blues fans at the footy about my age.

Our kids are gonna be the ones that we potentially lose, unless the club sees some success in the next decade or so.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 4:20 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

My family think I'm crazy watching the Blues play every weekend

They think Carlton are a lousy club that never has success

It's hard to argue with them

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 1:45 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

This is a depressing thread... mostly because everything in here is 100% accurate. I'm 45. I was 18 in 1995 and if you'd told me I wouldn't see another flag for the next 28 years (and counting) back then I'd have laughed at you. My kids like going to the footy but proudly say they barrack for carlton, but I don't see the love for the blues that I had when I was their age (14 and 16). I loved carlton as a teenager. They made me happy. This club had never made my kids happy.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 2:01 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

The_Cranium wrote:
This is a depressing thread... mostly because everything in here is 100% accurate. I'm 45. I was 18 in 1995 and if you'd told me I wouldn't see another flag for the next 28 years (and counting) back then I'd have laughed at you. My kids like going to the footy but proudly say they barrack for carlton, but I don't see the love for the blues that I had when I was their age (14 and 16). I loved carlton as a teenager. They made me happy. This club had never made my kids happy.

Exactly the same at my house.

My 15yo has only seen win twice. My 19yo has been a bit more lucky that that...probably 15 times.

They love the interstate trips and staying in nice hotels, but CaRLTONS LOSSES DO DAMPEN WHAT OTHERWISE IS A GREAT WEEKEND.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 2:47 pm 
Ken Hunter

this years been a great example my son began to get excited, he was calling me more often, we were chatting re football, then I took him to the St Kilda game - really stupid I know but I did and...well lets just say the enthusiasm has evaporated.

Post subject: Sobering statistic
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:25 am 
Ken Hands

Strongly considering signing my kids up for Collingwood memberships after reading these stories...

#notreally

Actually, to be honest, it seems to be the opposite in my family. The old man is 60 and has given up on the Blues. He doesn't watch the games anymore. I guess 20+ years of being putrid, after 30+ years of being great, made him reconsider how he spent his free time.

I must be a glutton for punishment, as I'm patiently waiting for a return to the glory years of my very early childhood. :P

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next