Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:55 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 236 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:48 am 
Bruce Doull

Geeez….

I remember getting the “tap” one night in the
late 90’s…!

we’d both had FAR too much pie for dinner…!

kindest regards tommi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:20 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

billy_bongo wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
I'd back us to win Thursday night if we make the right changes.

So what are the right changes? I wouldn't be surprised if there were no changes (barring injuries).

I posted before the game that I thought we went in a defender short. 7 defenders with Cowan being the player subbed out left us with little flexibility to use Docherty in the midfield.
So IMHO, we have to decide is Docherty a defender or a defender/mid? If he's a defender mid, we need 6 other defenders who can see the 4 quarters out.

I'd like to see Corey Durdin come in if he's fit. He won the Sheehan medal as the best player in the Under 16 national championships playing as a mid. The trend of recent years has been big mids but the past 18 months has seen agile, small mids like Papley and Pickett pinch hit in the middle and provide a point of difference. I'd love to see Durdin given the opportunity. If he can play a role there, it may remove the requirement for Docherty to fill that role or at least limit the requirement.

I'd bring in Pittonet. He was good in the VFL and the Cats are light on for tall defenders. Ratugolea is well off being established and with Stewart missing, they'll be light on for defensive leadership. If Charlie, Harry or TDK can dominate their talls, we may force them to put Blicavs back into defence.
That would be a huge win for us tactically. He is dominating the bigger mids at the stoppages whilst also providing a ruck relief. He went to Cripps last time and shut him down. With Atkins also playing a defensive mid role, we had a total of 6 centre clearances for the match.

A long winded way of saying in Pittonet, Durdin. Out Owies, Silvagni (Sub), (O'Brien omitted)

I'd also be getting into Jesse Motlop about his efforts and telling him he needs to lift to retain his spot. His contested stuff was good but some of his chasing and defensive actions were putrid.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:33 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

tommi wrote:
Geeez….

late 90’s…!

kindest regards tommi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZUJhHWL5VY

:lol:

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:31 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Vain wrote:
billy_bongo wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:

So what are the right changes? I wouldn't be surprised if there were no changes (barring injuries).

I posted before the game that I thought we went in a defender short. 7 defenders with Cowan being the player subbed out left us with little flexibility to use Docherty in the midfield.
So IMHO, we have to decide is Docherty a defender or a defender/mid? If he's a defender mid, we need 6 other defenders who can see the 4 quarters out.

I'd like to see Corey Durdin come in if he's fit. He won the Sheehan medal as the best player in the Under 16 national championships playing as a mid. The trend of recent years has been big mids but the past 18 months has seen agile, small mids like Papley and Pickett pinch hit in the middle and provide a point of difference. I'd love to see Durdin given the opportunity. If he can play a role there, it may remove the requirement for Docherty to fill that role or at least limit the requirement.

I'd bring in Pittonet. He was good in the VFL and the Cats are light on for tall defenders. Ratugolea is well off being established and with Stewart missing, they'll be light on for defensive leadership. If Charlie, Harry or TDK can dominate their talls, we may force them to put Blicavs back into defence.
That would be a huge win for us tactically. He is dominating the bigger mids at the stoppages whilst also providing a ruck relief. He went to Cripps last time and shut him down. With Atkins also playing a defensive mid role, we had a total of 6 centre clearances for the match.

A long winded way of saying in Pittonet, Durdin. Out Owies, Silvagni (Sub), (O'Brien omitted)

I'd also be getting into Jesse Motlop about his efforts and telling him he needs to lift to retain his spot. His contested stuff was good but some of his chasing and defensive actions were putrid.

I recall you suggesting that about 7th defender. I thought Docherty did play a lot in defence,. Are you suggesting we needed Doc permanently in the middle and someone else fill 7th defender?

Cats have Stewart AND Henry missing from defence.

Henry and Blicavs fixed us up at our last meet at the G. Have to get Blicavs out of the midfield, unless Crippa has learned a bit from his last encounter with Blicavs. If S. DeKoning misses and I doubt he will now, his absence would force Blicavs back. They killed us in the midfield last time, as did Tigers last week.

20yo Motlop did a lot of defending and good tackling and bumping and filling holes, but I missed his defensive running and actions that weren’t up to scratch. Mustn’t have been much. I’d have the same blowtorch on 24yo Fisher whose defensive side of his game was put red. At least Motlop holds his position to wrap up a player. Fisher is an autumn leaf. What do you think about him.

Durdin didn’t play VFL last week. He was walking around with Cottrell and Philip. I want Motlop and Durdin as our 2 smalls. Owies and Fisher aren’t speedy enough for small forwards. I know Owies forward 50 tackling was great last year, but last week it didn’t happen. If he doesn’t tackle and hasn’t got speed he’s a one trick pony for me.

Pitto must come back, and I don’t mind SOS as a sub, (to avoid some supporter melts if he dropped) but I prefer speed in reserve with the sub.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:51 pm 
Rod Ashman

bondiblue wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
billy_bongo wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:

I recall you suggesting that about 7th defender. I thought Docherty did play a lot in defence,. Are you suggesting we needed Doc permanently in the middle and someone else fill 7th defender?

Cats have Stewart AND Henry missing from defence.

Henry and Blicavs fixed us up at our last meet at the G. Have to get Blicavs out of the midfield, unless Crippa has learned a bit from his last encounter with Blicavs. If S. DeKoning misses and I doubt he will now, his absence would force Blicavs back. They killed us in the midfield last time, as did Tigers last week.

20yo Motlop did a lot of defending and good tackling and bumping and filling holes, but I missed his defensive running and actions that weren’t up to scratch. Mustn’t have been much. I’d have the same blowtorch on 24yo Fisher whose defensive side of his game was put red. At least Motlop holds his position to wrap up a player. Fisher is an autumn leaf. What do you think about him.

Durdin didn’t play VFL last week. He was walking around with Cottrell and Philip. I want Motlop and Durdin as our 2 smalls. Owies and Fisher aren’t speedy enough for small forwards. I know Owies forward 50 tackling was great last year, but last week it didn’t happen. If he doesn’t tackle and hasn’t got speed he’s a one trick pony for me.

Pitto must come back, and I don’t mind SOS as a sub, (to avoid some supporter melts if he dropped) but I prefer speed in reserve with the sub.

Love your point on Blicavs - need him back. Bring in Pitto, Sit TDK up forward (and stretch them), Sos on the bench as 5th man or whatever we call it now

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:03 pm 
Bruce Doull

AGRO wrote:
tommi wrote:
Geeez….

late 90’s…!

kindest regards tommi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZUJhHWL5VY

:lol:

THAT’S the one…!

kindest regards tommi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:39 pm 
formerly BlueRob

If we play a slow defensive 20 year old game plan Geelong will win this match comfortably.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:16 pm 
Robert Walls

Our fwd line not only lacks crumbing nous and speed but footy IQ

Jack has footy IQ in spades...and he won't die wondering whether he did enough to maintain the ball inside F50

Pittonett comes in which frees Jack to play that role

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:24 pm 
Adrian Gallagher

Your dad must have enjoyed the 72 GF, coz that day Nick marked everything bar the used 4n20 pie wrappers.

:thumbsup:[/quote]

Also, my dad always tells me that Big Nick used to go up for the mark with no intention of marking it but with the aim of tapping it down to the waiting crumber... again, relies on the crumber being there![/quote]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:56 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

BigBlueWave wrote:
If we play a slow defensive 20 year old game plan Geelong will win this match comfortably.
Spot on.... Collingwood's run around like headless chooks left Geelong standing.... Made the Pies look like superstars.... Play control and possession and the Cats have an advantage.

I wonder if our game plan last week was a flooding pressure counter of Richmond's play....
We need to put speed in our play this week.... Not sure how... But better use of Motlop, Fisher, Holland,... will help... Not sure who else and how at this stage... I need more red :lol:

Go Blues

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:32 pm 
Bruce Doull

Either way….

gotta find space for Pitto and Dow if you ask
me…!

not sure who to drop…!

kindest regards tommi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:42 pm 
formerly BlueRob

billc3 wrote:
BigBlueWave wrote:
Spot on.... Collingwood's run around like headless chooks left Geelong standing.... Made the Pies look like superstars.... Play control and possession and the Cats have an advantage.

I wonder if our game plan last week was a flooding pressure counter of Richmond's play....
We need to put speed in our play this week.... Not sure how... But better use of Motlop, Fisher, Holland,... will help... Not sure who else and how at this stage... I need more red :lol:

Go Blues

I am sorry to say our game plan looked the same against both Sydney and Richmond. I am very pessimistic and believe this is the way its going to be all year.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:52 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

BigBlueWave wrote:
billc3 wrote:
BigBlueWave wrote:

Go Blues

I am sorry to say our game plan looked the same against both Sydney and Richmond. I am very pessimistic and believe this is the way its going to be all year.

Go Blues

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:08 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

BigBlueWave wrote:
billc3 wrote:
BigBlueWave wrote:

Go Blues

That’s cool as long as they make room for one quarter bursts like last year. A quick 5-7 goals then close the game down like The Boring Swans did in the naughties

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:13 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

tommi wrote:
Either way….

gotta find space for Pitto and Dow if you ask
me…!

not sure who to drop…!

kindest regards tommi

You must have an idea Tommi.

Pitto comes in and TDK stretches the Cats defence to the point they have to play Blicavs.

What to do with Silvagni?

Dow comes in to add burst speed to the midfield rotations.

Does Fisher do justice to the midfield rotations? Does Martin? Other than those 2 who else is in a precarious position to lose their spot as a HF/ mid? Ed?

I think Ed played much better than Fish n Martin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:51 am 
Bruce Doull

Yeah Bondy….

i thought the 2 Jacks maybe too…!

don’t want the whole SOS thing messing with
the team balance though…!

kindest regards tommi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:10 am 
Bruce Doull

london blue wrote:
Toby Nankervis outplayed the young blue and Jack Silvagni gave away too many free kicks as the secondary ruck.

LOL, Silvagni was handily beaten by Nankervis in the ruck but I just checked the stats and Silvagni was credited with 2 x FA.
As was Nankervis.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:12 am 
Bruce Doull

The BIG NANK….!

kindest regards tommi

seriously…when did this start…?

it’s new isn’t it…?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:44 am 
Wayne Johnston

I think tommi has it right, bring in the Big Pitt and Dow.

I’d leave out Fisher, give Dow the midfield minutes of Docherty, push Docherty more into the wing and either Acres or Hollands to HFF, rotating with Dow.

The other to come out is between Cowan and Silvagni, with sub to be one of LOB, Cowan or Silvagni.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:47 am 
Bruce Doull

I can't see Vossy promoting Dow on a good VFL practice match

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 236 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 12  Next