Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:06 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 219 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:45 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

TheBluesMuse wrote:
Also just another observation. I don’t think Richmond were comfortable out there. There was some really bad skill errors from historically clean players. I think we were hard to play against and Richmond didn’t quite know how to handle it. If we can build the type of reputation that illicits hesitation from our opposition, then that in itself is a huge step in the right direction.

:clap: :fight: :clap: :fight:

We are building
We are a top 9 team and want to get better

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:53 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Cazzesman wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Cazzesman wrote:
https://www.afl.com.au/video/883281/full-post-match-r1-blues?videoId=883281&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1678970111001&references=AFL_MATCH:4787

Well worth a look. It all makes perfect sense when he says it :grin:

Regards Cazzesman

Did you watch the reserves at Punt rd prior to the main game?

If you did, based on that output, would you have selected Sam Durdin over Young?

Couldn’t help thinking of you Cazz in both games. Durdin did a couple good things with his handball, nothing special, but helped, but he was beaten by both talls in the reserves, and I was so glad he wasn’t selected in the seniors, and I like him.

Young on the other hand was our best defender. No wat Durdin would have taken all thos marks Young did on the last line.

Mistakes were made by just about every player on the ground last night, such was the pressure of a finals like game and atmosphere, but Anyone who wants to criticise Young’s game to prove a point is not watching with open eyes.

Blue tears posted that Young missed his targets. Really? If anything he held the ball a bit longer than others would to be sure ball went to a team mate.

Young is a keeper for now.

Thanks Bondi. Didn't see the Reserves. Appreciate the thoughts. I am happy to trust in Vossy and the Coaches. I think Young is going pretty well but I just want more aggression and intensity from him. If he gets that then yahoo. I want to see him knock a few over, scare a few. You know all that stuff the very best defenders do as a matter of habit.

I am not anti Young..............I just want more. 17 is possibly closer than it has been since the Mid 90's opportunities are fleeting.

Regards Cazzesman

I’d like more intensity and aggression from Young too.
I think he is still finding his feet and pinching himself how quick he has cemented a spot in our defense.
What Indid notice is Young giving it to Reiwodt with unsociable acts before the game and during the game. That shocked me. I didn’t expect that. I think he is developing, and that saved goal when Lynch was running into the goals was intensity and desperation that proved to me he’s improving this aspect of his game.

I remember a fella called Sexton. He didn’t show much mongrel, intensity either but his marking got us out of a lot of trouble on the last line. Young’s Marking ability and persona reminds me of the calm cool understated Sexton. He has a lot of upside imo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:54 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

DesEnglish wrote:
Memphis Blues wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:
Agro jr wrote:
LOB turned a 1 v 0 to a 1 v 3.

Didn't need to wait half an hour to lace him out through 3 defenders. Just put it out in front of him and it's game over.

I think this is harsh.

If you look at in terms of metres gained, LOB took the ball from HB to the exact spot on the ground we wanted it (deep in our forward pocket). It was a metre from going out of bounds, where we could have locked it in. We were crying out for more run and he had obviously been brought on to give some fresh legs. I doubt Voss would have had a problem with that.

Yeah, LOB could have pulled the trigger on the kick earlier - and we might or might not have retained possession for the 90 seconds remaining - but I was happy with him taking the territory on that occasion and his kick at the end of the run was actually pretty good and could easily have resulted in a mark or boundary thrown in deep in attack.

If we are going to isolate and highlight missed moments in the dying moments, I would be more inclined to look at the average effort by our tall defenders in the Lynch mark or the uncontested dropped mark by Acres.

Taking territory is fine … but delivering it late which resulted in an outnumber was exactly what Richmond wanted and as soon as that ball hit the ground we were screwed … O’Brien needed to ensure a score any score (once he chose to keep running) or back pedal and find targets …

I wasn’t at the ground, could he have run further?

Interesting you asked. I said that after the fact.

Yes. He was creating a gap on Rioli.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:58 pm 
Bruce Doull

Navy One wrote:
I didn't want to start a new thread on this but I thought it was a bit (I'll keep it to a bit) piss poor .....

SOS no show at son's 100th

Hopefully you can all read it. If not let me know.

Hey Navy 1….

some discussion about that in the Jack SOS threat…!

typical Steve if you ask me…sook act…!

no time for that behaviour…!

kindest regards tommi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:05 pm 
Geoff Southby

bondiblue wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:
Memphis Blues wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:
Agro jr wrote:

Didn't need to wait half an hour to lace him out through 3 defenders. Just put it out in front of him and it's game over.

I think this is harsh.

If you look at in terms of metres gained, LOB took the ball from HB to the exact spot on the ground we wanted it (deep in our forward pocket). It was a metre from going out of bounds, where we could have locked it in. We were crying out for more run and he had obviously been brought on to give some fresh legs. I doubt Voss would have had a problem with that.

Yeah, LOB could have pulled the trigger on the kick earlier - and we might or might not have retained possession for the 90 seconds remaining - but I was happy with him taking the territory on that occasion and his kick at the end of the run was actually pretty good and could easily have resulted in a mark or boundary thrown in deep in attack.

If we are going to isolate and highlight missed moments in the dying moments, I would be more inclined to look at the average effort by our tall defenders in the Lynch mark or the uncontested dropped mark by Acres.

Taking territory is fine … but delivering it late which resulted in an outnumber was exactly what Richmond wanted and as soon as that ball hit the ground we were screwed … O’Brien needed to ensure a score any score (once he chose to keep running) or back pedal and find targets …

Back peddling wasn’t an option with a Richmond player right up his coight and he was too far out to score. Kicking to the pocket was a fair option with Harry there, not with the expectation he’d mark it but that it would be forced over the boundary line or that our small forwards would delay the exit.

In the moment, I guess it was a split second choice between a mark on the wing and hoping we can maintain possession for the last 90 seconds (which we couldn’t do vs Melbourne last year) while giving Richmond time to set up, or break through the lines and cause a boundary throw in deep in our attack where we can get a repeat stoppage, block exits and perhaps score.

It didn’t work out, but I’m not hanging LOB or Harry for that one.

Too many mistakes throughout the game to single out one. But the last one which was vital
,and, something of the like, ie the last 2 minutes with a lead, reviewed ad nauseum over summer wasn’t executed well.

I think you’re making excuses for LOB instead of acknowledging what happened, unless you missed it. LOB was not too far out to kick to score. He took the ball from one end of the ground to the other, entered the 50, not at full pace at that stage, and chipped it up to Harry. He wasn’t too far out. Some fans cried out early for him to pass, other fans yelled out kick it at goal…it was a stuff up. No 2 ways about it. That’s not a fallacy abns. I’m not hanging LOB out to dry, it’s just what happened.

Was that decision or non decision typical of what we expect from LOB? That is the question.

Bondi but you may want to watch the replay.
1. LOB only slowed his pace after the bounce went wrong.
2. He was about 10-15m outside the 50m arc when he kicked it to Harry who was about 20-25m inside the arc himself, but wide open.
Should've he kept running to the 50 and had a shot on goal himself?
That would've been a pretty low % play IMO, especially with Rioli still hot on his tail.
His mistake for me was bouncing the ball that last time instead of running another 5m and kicking it.
Just bad luck that was.

Last edited by Sidefx on Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:05 pm 
Geoff Southby

tommi wrote:
Navy One wrote:
I didn't want to start a new thread on this but I thought it was a bit (I'll keep it to a bit) piss poor .....

Hey Navy 1….

kindest regards tommi

I " m sayin ' nothin' till i hear Steves side of the story .

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:06 pm 
Geoff Southby

Not everything that fails to come off is a stuff up. I think LOB did what he was brought on the ground to do - gain territory and break through a line with fresh legs. He didn’t have half an hour to make a decision. It didn’t work out, but I don’t have a problem with what he did. And Voss didn’t seem unhappy with him at all when it was mentioned in the presser.

As a said earlier, if we are going to obsess over mistakes in the last minute - look no further than Weitering (who I love) and Acres. I’m sure they would like to have their time again.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:10 pm 
Ken Hunter

Just watching the replay now.
It was hard to believe we were in front at quarter time.
That free to Junior Rioli in the 2nd quarter was a joke. I thought as much last night but the replay confirmed it.
It is funny feeling being at a drawn game, you are not sure what to do.
3rd game in a row we were in winning a winning position, only to blow it.
Not sure if we will ever learn.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:15 pm 
Geoff Southby

aboynamedsue wrote:
Not everything that fails to come off is a stuff up. I think LOB did what he was brought on the ground to do - gain territory and break through a line with fresh legs. He didn’t have half an hour to make a decision. It didn’t work out, but I don’t have a problem with what he did. And Voss didn’t seem unhappy with him at all when it was mentioned in the presser.

As a said earlier, if we are going to obsess over mistakes in the last minute - look no further than Weitering (who I love) and Acres. I’m sure they would like to have their time again.

Yep , he came on and did what he had to do . Weitering and Acres ? and plenty of others as well . Finger pointing at isolated instances sure no purpose coz the best players have them . Dunno about you Sue but i reckon Muse hit the nail on the head . We made 'em uncomfortable . Better days ahead . Onward and upward , but gradually . Second half of the season is when it will all come together . Voss is gonna time his run a lot better this year .

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:31 pm 
Harry Vallence

DesEnglish wrote:
Memphis Blues wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:
Agro jr wrote:

I think this is harsh.

I wasn’t at the ground, could he have run further?

I was standing room MCC and we all saw Harry tearing out the back into space once LOB initially received it. Everyone was screaming to kick it to him

He decided to take 4 bounces, if you take 4 bounces you can technically cover 75m of ground (which he didn't) And I just think he ran himself into a position where he didn't need to be in.

Happy to be proven wrong if my view from the bottom deck doesn't tell the whole story. But the view from that bay was that he should've pulled the trigger miles earlier.

Funnily enough it was McGovern who marked a high ball in Richmond's goal square and then hit the 50m kick to release LOB in the first place. So the one time in final quarter (and for just about the whole game) we managed to execute a quick D50 exit, we [REDACTED] it the other way with what looked like not pulling the trigger on the right entry.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:31 pm 
Craig Bradley

Pros:

Wasn't expecting to win. So it was encouraging to play well and not lose.
Kept a good team to a 'losing' score.
Good post-game presser from the coach.
Harry, TDK, Cripps, Hewett, Cerra, Motlop and Young all very good.
Very encouraging performances from Hollands and Cowan.
McGovern and Acres good after nervous starts.
SOJ nailed a difficult set shot goal.
Slashing goal from Docherty.
Liked LOB's last quarter. 2nd time this year I've seen him look AFL comfortable in pressure situations.

Cons:

Yet again, we somehow managed to cough up a lead going into the final 2 minutes.
I think we'll struggle pace wise against a number of opposition teams. Need some more rebound and dare coming out of defence. Also think we need to do far better at controlling the opposition's ball movement out of defence.
Got beaten out of clearances, which is one of our strengths.
Other than their goals, Owies and Fisher were unsighted. Didn't see SOJ get near it after quarter time.
Bolton constantly appealing for frees in the forward 50.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:38 pm 
Ken Hunter

tommi wrote:
Navy One wrote:

Hey Navy 1….

kindest regards tommi

Mitch Cleary said that Jack knew SOS would not be there. Apparently SOS was really tired and wanted to go home and remained in the car.
Geez, would it have killed him to make a brief appearance.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:39 pm 
Ken Hunter

I have just finished watching the replay and it was an interesting interview with Weitering.
He basically said we should not have been in the game and happy to take the 2 points.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:53 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Bluey44 wrote:
bluehammer wrote:
CK95 wrote:
I blame Ed Sheeran for Harry falling over
Always blame the ginger kid...

Sshhh - it seems that Tommi has a soft spot (hard spot?) for redheads. Didn't you see his post?
I felt it.

Disappointingly more of a Stump than a post.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:06 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Sidefx wrote:
Bondi but you may want to watch the replay.
1. LOB only slowed his pace after the bounce went wrong.
2. He was about 10-15m outside the 50m arc when he kicked it to Harry who was about 20-25m inside the arc himself, but wide open.
Should've he kept running to the 50 and had a shot on goal himself?
That would've been a pretty low % play IMO, especially with Rioli still hot on his tail.
His mistake for me was bouncing the ball that last time instead of running another 5m and kicking it.
Just bad luck that was.

You’re right about the distances sidey but the point is Rioli was labouring against fresh legs and was chasing LOB and if LOB had a tail no way Rioli was near enough to grab it, and there was plenty of opportunity for LOB to continue running into the 50 or have a ping from 50 to either score or for the ball to go out of bounds. Instead he slowed done and steadied with a chipping motion bc it wasn’t necessary to kick through the ball. Holding onto the ball too long meant his target, Harry was in a worse position against more defenders by the second.

Glad you used the word ‘mistake’’ because that’s the point of this discussion: a mistake with less than 2 minutes left on the clock whilst we were in front. Very different scenario to other mistakes after that by Weitering and Acres.

The point is have the players been drilled in the art of killing time or winning a game with 2 minutes left on the clock?

I’m happy with the result. I’m not hanging LOB but I’m not going to sit here and read that LOB made the right choice and Harry’s slip was just as damning. No way. What have the players learned over the preseason is what we all ask. Now we are finding out. It’s for real every week from now on and we need to improve on last year.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:18 pm 
Ken Hunter

sinbagger wrote:
I was really happy from what I what I saw of Ed Curnow, he will be a valuable contributor this year.

Unfortunately not even close.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:33 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

kingkerna wrote:
billc3 wrote:
LOB should have kicked it 2 bounces earlier. H was in space between two defenders. He ran his guts out to the pocket, but that allowed the defenders to shut him down from in front and behind....

Go Blues

Correct, but too many peanuts watching on TV didn't see it. H ran his absolute guts out into space. Unfortunately had to double back because lob decided to keep running instead of passing
That's why I hate watching on TV.... Directors seem to have no idea what to show on TV... Drives me nuts...

Anyway...
Pros
Defence (got plenty of practice)... Team defence held up well
Holding onto the ball, controlling the game at crucial times
Holland and Cowan... First gamers peeps.... Holland was also ignored a few times... That will change
Young.. Poor start, then was just about flawless
Doc's goal (see below)

Cons

FFS Tell the umps where you took your mark, because they have no idea! Doc kicked about 5 metres more than needed...OOBOTF given. 5 metres from the behind post when it went over about 20m away from there.. Aaarggghhh
GOVs good is good, his bad is appalling... (aiming for the Plow AWARD)
Pushing in the back is OK in the ruck contest? (or is that the Hawkins/Lynch rule I've missed?).. But if two players grapple in the ruck you have to pluck a free?
Block for God sake... We still give the ball off and deliver it to a player who is under pressure from the player who could have been blocked!
Richmond station and Myki gates not working... Dear God... These transport people have no idea about crowd management... One little thing could make it catastrophic (does anyone know what happened in South Korea with similar number crowds?)

Go Blues

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:41 pm 
Ken Hunter

kezza wrote:
tommi wrote:
Navy One wrote:

Hey Navy 1….

kindest regards tommi

Mitch Cleary said that Jack knew SOS would not be there. Apparently SOS was really tired and wanted to go home and remained in the car.
Geez, would it have killed him to make a brief appearance.
LOL is he five years old?!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:46 pm 
Geoff Southby

bluehammer wrote:
Bluey44 wrote:
bluehammer wrote:
CK95 wrote:

Sshhh - it seems that Tommi has a soft spot (hard spot?) for redheads. Didn't you see his post?
I felt it.

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:55 pm 
Bruce Doull

bluehammer wrote:
Bluey44 wrote:
bluehammer wrote:
CK95 wrote:

I felt it.

Teehee….

my private shame…!

kindest regards tommi

(True story)

(Sadly)

(Oh so sadly)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 219 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next