Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:36 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 219 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:33 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Charlie was being man handled or pushed out of the contests. Half of those were frees not given.

4 umpires missed that

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:43 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Happy with the draw,

Loved the 2 new boys

Acres was better in last 2 praccy games.
Makes Newnes delisting seem like a mistake.
I know Acres will Improve

Dow was fantastic in the reserves: too quick, too strong and too good.
Fisher should be replaced by Dow.
Fisher looked great in January but helpless in the practices and not up to standard after a good first quarter goal.
Owies missing too. Motlop was good despite low possessions

WTF was that from Martin.
@#$%&! X factor. He needs to get better in the reserves. Nowhere near the grade.

Tigers could very well be a top 4 team.
Implies we are too.

We have to be better set up in forwadline and forward entries. Never smells at feet of Charlie and Harry.

Now SIS 100 games is done, we should look at improving the 3rd tall. Glad he kicked that shot at goal. Great goal

I think we will be good this year

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:20 pm 
Geoff Southby

Agro jr wrote:
LOB turned a 1 v 0 to a 1 v 3.

Didn't need to wait half an hour to lace him out through 3 defenders. Just put it out in front of him and it's game over.

I think this is harsh.

If you look at in terms of metres gained, LOB took the ball from HB to the exact spot on the ground we wanted it (deep in our forward pocket). It was a metre from going out of bounds, where we could have locked it in. We were crying out for more run and he had obviously been brought on to give some fresh legs. I doubt Voss would have had a problem with that.

Yeah, LOB could have pulled the trigger on the kick earlier - and we might or might not have retained possession for the 90 seconds remaining - but I was happy with him taking the territory on that occasion and his kick at the end of the run was actually pretty good and could easily have resulted in a mark or boundary thrown in deep in attack.

If we are going to isolate and highlight missed moments in the dying moments, I would be more inclined to look at the average effort by our tall defenders in the Lynch mark or the uncontested dropped mark by Acres.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:26 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

aboynamedsue wrote:
Agro jr wrote:

Didn't need to wait half an hour to lace him out through 3 defenders. Just put it out in front of him and it's game over.

I think this is harsh.

If you look at in terms of metres gained, LOB took the ball from HB to the exact spot on the ground we wanted it (deep in our forward pocket). It was a metre from going out of bounds, where we could have locked it in. We were crying out for more run and he had obviously been brought on to give some fresh legs. I doubt Voss would have had a problem with that.

Yeah, LOB could have pulled the trigger on the kick earlier - and we might or might not have retained possession for the 90 seconds remaining - but I was happy with him taking the territory on that occasion and his kick at the end of the run was actually pretty good and could easily have resulted in a mark or boundary thrown in deep in attack.

If we are going to isolate and highlight missed moments in the dying moments, I would be more inclined to look at the average effort by our tall defenders in the Lynch mark or the uncontested dropped mark by Acres.

Nah, not really harsh, but what really happened.

Every Carlton fan around me was yelling to LOB to do the obvious and pass it to Harry who was running forward and 30 metres in the clear: 30 metres in the clear.

It wasn’t about how many metres LOB gained. It was about making the right decision, and with a minute left on clock the most important thing is to spot a team mate preferably in a marking position. LOB went for an unnecessary bounce and fluffed that.

LOB wasn’t the only mistake in the game, but that last minute needed a cool head. He lacks that.

By the way, I’m happy with the draw.

Last edited by bondiblue on Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:28 pm 
Laurie Kerr

aboynamedsue wrote:
Agro jr wrote:

I think this is harsh.

Taking territory is fine … but delivering it late which resulted in an outnumber was exactly what Richmond wanted and as soon as that ball hit the ground we were screwed … O’Brien needed to ensure a score any score (once he chose to keep running) or back pedal and find targets …

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:28 pm 
Geoff Southby

Cazzesman wrote:
https://www.afl.com.au/video/883281/full-post-match-r1-blues?videoId=883281&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1678970111001&references=AFL_MATCH:4787

Well worth a look. It all makes perfect sense when he says it :grin:

Regards Cazzesman

I like the part when he said, the same game last year and we lose by 6 goals.
100% and was what I was expecting, maybe he was too at one stage of the game.

We've gone for a more contested game by the looks of it, which is great.
However, as I've said before we needed to add more skills to the team for cleaner transitions and delivery to the forwards.
But in saying that, it's only RD 1 and both teams were sloppy.

Ed may well be the other inside mid I was hoping we traded in last year, not as quick as I felt we needed but he did some good work in the second half.
Great to have him back.

And as one of the "peanuts" watching the game on TV, I think some perspective on the LOB passage of play is required.
He outrun Daniel Rioli, that's right Daniel Rioli......end of the game or not that was pretty impressive.
And he was going full tilt up until the last bounce, so to expect him to kick it earlier at full pace (not backing off steps to kick) is a bit rich for me.
Not many players in the league can hit targets on the lead at full pace, especially not a "bottom 6" player.
And as you said Cazz, he still managed to hit the spot between 3 defenders after that running effort.
It's just a shame that it didn't work out, if the bounce didn't tumble or McKay didn't slip we would've been singing the kids' praises.
Either way it was one of many many things that made the game a draw.
Plus it's lucky he came on for 1 quarter or we'd have to find another whipping boy. :wink:

Both the kids had a good first game, a little out of their depth.
Both still had poor disposals but they were not alone in that department to be fair.
Cowan needs to be more damaging by foot if he wants to play HBF.
Hollands needs to get more meterage if he wants to be damaging on the wing.
He tracked the most k's if I recall but only gained 155m with 11 disposals.
Still not bad for first gamers but not Walsh like either.

Acres was a huge disappointment for me, especially as he was supposed to be a senior upgrade on LOB and Cottrell.
He's more contested which is good, but that's where it stopped unfortunately, especially when we required more skills.

But keeping things in perspective, it was only RD1.
I hope next week we pull it all together for the Cats game.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:34 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Stats suggest Tigers should’ve won easily

Main criticism from fans is our set up with an often abandoned or outnumbered forward line.

Team defence won it for us.

We found a way … we missed it by that much.

We will learn from that and collect 2 points. :thanks:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:37 pm 
Geoff Southby

bondiblue wrote:
Stats suggest Tigers should’ve won easily

Main criticism from fans is our set up with an often abandoned or outnumbered forward line.

Team defence won it for us.

We found a way … we missed it by that much.

We will learn from that and collect 2 points. :thanks:

Exactly.
I don't mind the fact we can shut teams down, it's a new string to the bow if we can continue it.
However, we need to be cleaner in our disposals and decision making across the board.
Still a lot to work on, but that was a pretty tough midfield to beat and IMO only a couple of other teams will have that challenge for us.
It's still a win for me, plus no injuries.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:44 pm 
Ken Hunter

Random fact: This is the fourth year in a row Richmond has played in a draw (2020-2023).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:49 pm 
Geoff Southby

Memphis Blues wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:
Agro jr wrote:

I think this is harsh.

Taking territory is fine … but delivering it late which resulted in an outnumber was exactly what Richmond wanted and as soon as that ball hit the ground we were screwed … O’Brien needed to ensure a score any score (once he chose to keep running) or back pedal and find targets …

Back peddling wasn’t an option with a Richmond player right up his coight and he was too far out to score. Kicking to the pocket was a fair option with Harry there, not with the expectation he’d mark it but that it would be forced over the boundary line or that our small forwards would delay the exit.

In the moment, I guess it was a split second choice between a mark on the wing and hoping we can maintain possession for the last 90 seconds (which we couldn’t do vs Melbourne last year) while giving Richmond time to set up, or break through the lines and cause a boundary throw in deep in our attack where we can get a repeat stoppage, block exits and perhaps score.

It didn’t work out, but I’m not hanging LOB or Harry for that one.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:54 pm 
Geoff Southby

Also just another observation. I don’t think Richmond were comfortable out there. There was some really bad skill errors from historically clean players. I think we were hard to play against and Richmond didn’t quite know how to handle it. If we can build the type of reputation that illicits hesitation from our opposition, then that in itself is a huge step in the right direction.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:54 pm 
Rod Ashman

Memphis Blues wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:
Agro jr wrote:

I think this is harsh.

I wasn’t at the ground, could he have run further?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:23 pm 
Geoff Southby

The Tigers threw the kitchen sink at us . They swarmed and were on a roll and we absorbed it . Although we were down on stats it does not tell the full story in that it was us who controlled the tempo of the game . A new maturity i feel . A lot of the Tigers stats were dinky nothing sort of stats that inflated there numbers . I feel our possessions were far more measured than there's . A lot to be taken from that game for mine .

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:29 pm 
Ken Hunter

bondiblue wrote:
Cazzesman wrote:
https://www.afl.com.au/video/883281/full-post-match-r1-blues?videoId=883281&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1678970111001&references=AFL_MATCH:4787

Well worth a look. It all makes perfect sense when he says it :grin:

Regards Cazzesman

Did you watch the reserves at Punt rd prior to the main game?

If you did, based on that output, would you have selected Sam Durdin over Young?

Couldn’t help thinking of you Cazz in both games. Durdin did a couple good things with his handball, nothing special, but helped, but he was beaten by both talls in the reserves, and I was so glad he wasn’t selected in the seniors, and I like him.

Young on the other hand was our best defender. No wat Durdin would have taken all thos marks Young did on the last line.

Mistakes were made by just about every player on the ground last night, such was the pressure of a finals like game and atmosphere, but Anyone who wants to criticise Young’s game to prove a point is not watching with open eyes.

Blue tears posted that Young missed his targets. Really? If anything he held the ball a bit longer than others would to be sure ball went to a team mate.

Young is a keeper for now.

Thanks Bondi. Didn't see the Reserves. Appreciate the thoughts. I am happy to trust in Vossy and the Coaches. I think Young is going pretty well but I just want more aggression and intensity from him. If he gets that then yahoo. I want to see him knock a few over, scare a few. You know all that stuff the very best defenders do as a matter of habit.

I am not anti Young..............I just want more. 17 is possibly closer than it has been since the Mid 90's opportunities are fleeting.

Regards Cazzesman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:38 pm 
Geoff Southby

P S well done to the two first gamers . Hollands ability to cover so much ground in his first ever game was phenomenal . Reminds me of a young David Glascott who just kept going and going . Cowan did not shy from contact and in fact embraced it . At last , a kid with a bit of shit in him .

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:14 pm 
Harry Vallence

We badly need Pitto back. We also looked slow, which was a problem last year. Looking at the inside 50 stats we should have lost and lost easily, our defence stood up (McGovern in the last quarter excepted).

People being a bit hard on LOB. Harry doesn't lose his footing, he takes the mark and it's game over. Everyone would then be saying what a fantastic kick by Lachie.

Hopefully McG, Ed and the kids will be better for the run.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:24 pm 
Bruce Doull

Lacked run. Boyd Williams Cunningham would have been handy.

Sent from my Nokia G21 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:29 pm 
Geoff Southby

CK95 wrote:
Lacked run. Boyd Williams Cunningham would have been handy.

Sent from my Nokia G21 using Tapatalk

Cottrell too, I thought he showed improvement last year.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:42 pm 
Harry Vallence

I didn't want to start a new thread on this but I thought it was a bit (I'll keep it to a bit) piss poor .....

SOS no show at son's 100th

Hopefully you can all read it. If not let me know.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:43 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

aboynamedsue wrote:
Memphis Blues wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:
Agro jr wrote:

I think this is harsh.

Back peddling wasn’t an option with a Richmond player right up his coight and he was too far out to score. Kicking to the pocket was a fair option with Harry there, not with the expectation he’d mark it but that it would be forced over the boundary line or that our small forwards would delay the exit.

In the moment, I guess it was a split second choice between a mark on the wing and hoping we can maintain possession for the last 90 seconds (which we couldn’t do vs Melbourne last year) while giving Richmond time to set up, or break through the lines and cause a boundary throw in deep in our attack where we can get a repeat stoppage, block exits and perhaps score.

It didn’t work out, but I’m not hanging LOB or Harry for that one.

Too many mistakes throughout the game to single out one. But the last one which was vital
,and, something of the like, ie the last 2 minutes with a lead, reviewed ad nauseum over summer wasn’t executed well.

I think you’re making excuses for LOB instead of acknowledging what happened, unless you missed it. LOB was not too far out to kick to score. He took the ball from one end of the ground to the other, entered the 50, not at full pace at that stage, and chipped it up to Harry. He wasn’t too far out. Some fans cried out early for him to pass, other fans yelled out kick it at goal…it was a stuff up. No 2 ways about it. That’s not a fallacy abns. I’m not hanging LOB out to dry, it’s just what happened.

Was that decision or non decision typical of what we expect from LOB? That is the question.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 219 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next