Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:25 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 219 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:27 am 
Bob Chitty

i think with the draw we have lost one of the most positive things i have seen for sometime.

3rd quarter, tigers kicked their 3rd in a few minutes. Martin, Reiwolt, Lynch, Cochin, Bolton all up and about ...

and instead of 3 turning into 6, we slowed the game down, we took posession, we took the heat out of the game and then kicked the next two goals ...

that period of play, showed some growth in their structure and understanding of the game, something we havent witnessed for sometime.

Individual mistakes will always happen, and there were plenty of them ... too many to be honest ... but the structure held up well i thought, the whole team defence did an epic job IMO ... richmond is a side who routinely kick 100+ ... 2 goals in a half of football ..

as many positive to take from the game, but also alot of things to learn from ..

happy with the two new kids .. they are showing plenty of early signs ...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:54 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

ScottSaunders2 wrote:
i think with the draw we have lost one of the most positive things i have seen for sometime.

3rd quarter, tigers kicked their 3rd in a few minutes. Martin, Reiwolt, Lynch, Cochin, Bolton all up and about ...

and instead of 3 turning into 6, we slowed the game down, we took posession, we took the heat out of the game and then kicked the next two goals ...

that period of play, showed some growth in their structure and understanding of the game, something we havent witnessed for sometime.

Individual mistakes will always happen, and there were plenty of them ... too many to be honest ... but the structure held up well i thought, the whole team defence did an epic job IMO ... richmond is a side who routinely kick 100+ ... 2 goals in a half of football ..

as many positive to take from the game, but also alot of things to learn from ..

Fair point but still we lost the plot at the death again

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:55 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Not sure if this has been posted but this must be one of the only time you can have 2 teams on the same spot on tje ladder. A R1 draw. Same points same %

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:07 am 
Bob Chitty

Paddycripps wrote:
ScottSaunders2 wrote:

Fair point but still we lost the plot at the death again

agree, and its abit of a lost opportunity ... again ... which is frustrating, but its also 2 points out of a game, that many didnt think we would be in the contest.

My thoughts before the game, is i couldnt call it, the game turned out that way, fairly even across the board, and they are a good side, top 8 yes (dont think top 4) and we where not just competiive with them, we held our own for periods of the game.

It should, yet again show the side, that every inch, every play makes a difference.

the point we got a half time
the dropped sitter by McGovern for their first goal
the missed opportunity by bolton to not even score a point ...
the missed mark by harry at the very end (i thought obrien was great in that instance, but should have gone to the lead ... but he is a better judge of the distance he would have been kicking at the time)

so many instances in this game, where the result could have gone either way, but i think making it as simple as that, also down plays the pressure that was on in that game. it was a tough contest, from start to finish.

the two new boys (which i really like) had one hell of a baptism, and both, like i said in the other did well. they should be proud of their efforts.

i was disappointed in McGovern ... he had a stinker in the last, and for most of the game to be honest. Did a few good things, but his contract really doesnt match the output we have got from him. Martin wasnt far behind.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:20 am 
Stephen Kernahan

CK95 wrote:
I blame Ed Sheeran for Harry falling over
Always blame the ginger kid...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:29 am 
Robert Walls

MPH78 wrote:
Was it actually our plan to continually bomb it to our tall forwards who were all contesting against each other in the same area?

Don’t even want to mention our kick outs.

Vossy said they have been working on bedding down the game plan over the off-season.....

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:59 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

I think we can boil it down to this ... Voss said if that game was last year we'd have lost by 6 goals. I agree, and the one positive to take out of last night was we did slow the tempo down at critical moments which helped us wrestle back some control of the game and coupled with this we did defend well all things considered... but equally Voss needs to acknowledge that it is not good we did not have the game on our terms, we lost the I50s count significantly and we also got beat at the source which is our strength ... so hopefully more times than not this year the game doesn't look like it did last night because if not then we are in for a long and possibly disappointing year.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:01 am 
Robert Walls

I think Richmond were much rustier than us overall in terms of their expectations and missed opportunities. We are improving, but still a B grade footy mentality.

Interesting stat quoted that the tiges had 16 forward half turnovers in a quarter, but couldn't capitalise.

Pros :
- Docherty, Cerra, Cripps, Hewett, Cerra
-Holland's and Cowan OK. Holland's needs to turn his run into advantage, but the stat's were fantastic.
- Young not too bad but needs to keep lifting his ceiling
- TDK was up against it but given the spotlight and pressure I don't think he let us down

Room for improvement :
- Martin, Fisher = teases as always
- Saad and Weitering will feel disappointed with that
- Acres finding it hard to live up to being the focus of the Carlton PR in a slow off-season

Last edited by Bluey44 on Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:03 am 
Robert Walls

bluehammer wrote:
CK95 wrote:
I blame Ed Sheeran for Harry falling over
Always blame the ginger kid...

Sshhh - it seems that Tommi has a soft spot (hard spot?) for redheads. Didn't you see his post?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:04 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

bluehammer wrote:
kingkerna wrote:
DesEnglish wrote:
People can crucify LOB but if McKay stands up and halves the contest they don’t just run it out.

Then again, if I looked like Brad Pitt I probably wouldn’t be a 60 y/o virgin

OK ok OK, anyone that is blaming Harry for that passage couldn't have been at the ground. He sprinted his guts out to get into space and LOB just kept running instead of passing.
Spot on.

I think all the players need to lift and be better at executing situational football.
Some more than others.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:05 am 
Harry Vallence

The mentality is improving.

20 seconds on the clock, Richmond have just come back to pinch the win from us.

We went for the win, rather than throwing numbers behind the footy and avoiding another embarrassing tight loss, and it nearly paid off.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:30 am 
Ken Hunter

https://www.afl.com.au/video/883281/ful ... MATCH:4787

Well worth a look. It all makes perfect sense when he says it :grin:

Regards Cazzesman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:43 am 
Wayne Johnston

I was really happy from what I what I saw of Ed Curnow, he will be a valuable contributor this year.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:25 am 
John Nicholls

sinbagger wrote:
I was really happy from what I what I saw of Ed Curnow, he will be a valuable contributor this year.

I thought he was a liability early in the game, but worked into it and did a few good things towards the end.

He looks slow to me (not that he was ever quick) and his disposal has always been touch and go.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:43 am 
Ken Hunter

When was the last time Ed played senior footy? 2021?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:46 am 
Craig Bradley

Let’s hope Pitto is good to go next week.

30% in the ruck is too much stress on the mids. That’s where the extra handball comes from, having to shark a hitout & find a way out of the clearance against the run of play.

11 tackles from the opposition ruck ffs.

30%… used to be that you would have to be in the Mahogany Room to see a million dollars getting thrown about like that. I swear, he lost a hitout against himself last night. No Richmond ruck & they still won the clearance.

Beaut jump though. Let’s move him to full forward :roll: :screwy:

Ought to do wonders for our rebound defence.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:58 am 
Harry Vallence

LOB turned a 1 v 0 to a 1 v 3.

Didn't need to wait half an hour to lace him out through 3 defenders. Just put it out in front of him and it's game over.

Slow ball movement to our forwards [REDACTED] us all night, and [REDACTED] us again in the last minute.

Despite supposedly having an advantage with 3 talls against and undersized backline, didn't seem like we had much of a plan except kick it to them and hope they take mark of the year.
So outcoached in that department which is no surprise given Richmond have been well drilled for a long time, but still disappointing that there's no 'Plan B'.

Half forward is a hard position to play, but Fisher and Martin need to do more. Need to watch some vision of Brad Close because no one does it better than him.

Midfield still one paced, which confirms the offloading of Setterfield and Stocker makes sense. But don't think we have done anything else to address it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:08 am 
Harry Vallence

I wasn't buying the media build up about Richmond having a depleted backline.

They still had Grimes, Balta, Broad and Vlaustin ffs.

Just more sharpening of the knives by the media.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:08 am 
Harry Vallence

Traveller86 wrote:
I wasn't buying the media build up about Richmond having a depleted backline.

They still had Grimes, Balta, Broad and Vlaustin ffs.

Just more sharpening of the knives by the media.

I agree, their backline was still stacked with multiple premiership players.

But end of the day it's 2 x mobile 200cm Coleman Medalists and we weren't able to work that to our advantage.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:32 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Cazzesman wrote:
https://www.afl.com.au/video/883281/full-post-match-r1-blues?videoId=883281&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1678970111001&references=AFL_MATCH:4787

Well worth a look. It all makes perfect sense when he says it :grin:

Regards Cazzesman

Did you watch the reserves at Punt rd prior to the main game?

If you did, based on that output, would you have selected Sam Durdin over Young?

Couldn’t help thinking of you Cazz in both games. Durdin did a couple good things with his handball, nothing special, but helped, but he was beaten by both talls in the reserves, and I was so glad he wasn’t selected in the seniors, and I like him.

Young on the other hand was our best defender. No wat Durdin would have taken all thos marks Young did on the last line.

Mistakes were made by just about every player on the ground last night, such was the pressure of a finals like game and atmosphere, but Anyone who wants to criticise Young’s game to prove a point is not watching with open eyes.

Blue tears posted that Young missed his targets. Really? If anything he held the ball a bit longer than others would to be sure ball went to a team mate.

Young is a keeper for now.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 219 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next