Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 11:30 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 219 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:46 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

We kept Richmond to 1 goal in each of three quarters of football, the third quarter cost us dearly, we need to play 4 quarters.

Had so many players make absolute howlers in clutch moments wasn’t funny - O’Brien should have kicked it out to McKay far earlier.

Can someone get Bruce Doull down to the club to train our defenders in spoiling to advantage- also need to increase our game awareness in tight situations where a deft tap rather than trying to take possession would be far better.

Still trying to work out how we contrived a draw.

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:46 pm 
Ken Hunter

Just saw the last two minutes. For all the scapegoating we love to do here, if H hadn't slipped we'd be saying what a brilliant play by LOB to run down valuable seconds and split the defence for H to give us a winning lead. Just shit outta luck again. But following the score on the phone, it felt like a game we were inevitably going to get overrun in. But we weren't. Also, I'm not too worried about a scrappy start. Geelong halved their first 10 games last year, didn't they? Or 8. Point is, the top teams pace themselves, and we peaked early last year. Tonight was OK.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:48 pm 
Bruce Doull

Looking back….

we really were lucky to get 2 points in the
end…!

didn’t play anything like last year…!

so it’s much better than nothing…but…!

kindest regards tommi

Guts churning…!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:49 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

billc3 wrote:
LOB should have kicked it 2 bounces earlier. H was in space between two defenders. He ran his guts out to the pocket, but that allowed the defenders to shut him down from in front and behind....

Go Blues

Correct, but too many peanuts watching on TV didn't see it. H ran his absolute guts out into space. Unfortunately had to double back because lob decided to keep running instead of passing

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:53 pm 
Bruce Doull

Watching on TV makes you a peanut?

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:53 pm 
Bruce Doull

GreatEx wrote:
Also, I'm not too worried about a scrappy start. Geelong halved their first 10 games last year, didn't they? Or 8. Point is, the top teams pace themselves, and we peaked early last year. Tonight was OK.

Thank you, very measured post

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:56 pm 
Bruce Doull

187cm’s…!

kindest regards tommi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:00 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

grrofunger wrote:
Watching on TV makes you a peanut?

Not at all, but many missed the lead up to the kick and the position Harry was in.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:01 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

kingkerna wrote:
DesEnglish wrote:
People can crucify LOB but if McKay stands up and halves the contest they don’t just run it out.

Then again, if I looked like Brad Pitt I probably wouldn’t be a 60 y/o virgin

OK ok OK, anyone that is blaming Harry for that passage couldn't have been at the ground. He sprinted his guts out to get into space and LOB just kept running instead of passing.
Spot on.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:02 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

SurreyBlue wrote:
BlueJean wrote:
This club needs to hire the best psychologist that has ever come out of Harvard University.

:thumbsup:
To take our kick outs?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:04 pm 
Harry Vallence

kingkerna wrote:
billc3 wrote:
LOB should have kicked it 2 bounces earlier. H was in space between two defenders. He ran his guts out to the pocket, but that allowed the defenders to shut him down from in front and behind....

Go Blues

Correct, but too many peanuts watching on TV didn't see it. H ran his absolute guts out into space. Unfortunately had to double back because lob decided to keep running instead of passing

This!!!!

Harry pretty much had the whole 50 to himself!!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:05 pm 
Bruce Doull

I blame Ed Sheeran for Harry falling over

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:06 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Read through the entire thread. A lot of negativity. Richmond are a solid team. They came at us hard and we held on. Probably should have won. Probably should lost too. Reckon the Richmond fans would be lamenting the result just as much as we are. The karma bus smacking that little smart arse suck Bolton was delightful.

Cowan and Hollands looked a little out of their depth at times. Tough initiation, but they'll be better for it.

Richmond fans compete with Essendon* fans for dumbest in the league. Learn the @#$%&! rules you morons.

Young I thought played a great game. Weiters got beaten on the night. I feel like everyone had some good moments but all had some poor ones too.

We also had a lot of passengers.
Fisher. I thought he must have been injured.
Martin. Mostly did nothing.
Sosos. Not much either.
Charlie. Got 3 but thought he lowered his colours on the night.
Acres. Needs to be better than that. Just Newnes mark ii.

Ultimately mistakes cost us but they also cost them. Draw seems about right. Hopefully better for the run

Last edited by The_Cranium on Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:07 pm 
Bruce Doull

Hmmm….

he did that against Colon-Woods in the practice
game…guess he wanted to try it again…!

again…it wasn’t one person…just thought the
whole team was flat…yet…2 points…!

that can’t be bad…!

the Captain was flat…many things weren’t right…
yet 2 points…!

we’d be feeling MUCH worse if we didn’t get
those 2 points…imagine that…!

kindest regards tommi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:55 am 
Laurie Kerr

There where amounts of good and bad tonight. Motlop looked improved. The new guys did OK, but Acres needs to do a bit more quickly. Though LOB looked promising in what he can bring. I thought Gov. also looks like he might be handy this year. Martin, fisher and cripps where unusually quiet, but hope they are warmed up now and bring it next week. One thing that I hope can be improved on is Young,,, When he picks up the ball, if he isn't sure what's around him he just sinks the boot into it and only looks at his foot. It usually goes straight to opposition. I don't understand why he needs to look at his foot. If he looks downfield instead, he will see there is an opposition player alone where he is going to kick it and can do something different so we dont at least 100% turn the ball over... Also, he rarely keeps with his forward opponent while on a lead. He's usually a mile behind. Opposition defenders wear our forwards like a glove and even double team us. Jacob can be a bit panicky with the no look kick from full back areas too.... hoping that can improve because he does have potential and also does good things already. It's just some of the back line fundamentals he doesn't abide by for some reason.. And it does cost us a few goals on a regular basis. Anyway, I enjoyed a close game where we didn't loose though so can't complain.. just really hoping he will read this and it will stop happening sometime this season. Lol

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:54 am 
Geoff Southby

Something has changed dramatically. I can’t say what as I’m not good with analysing the games and I don’t get to see them live but we held them to 16 in a half of football and apart from those 3 quick goals in the third, Richmond just could not score freely.

It’s also easy to see there were some glaringly obvious mistakes from individuals that cost us and not the system.

Charlie and Harry got better as the game went on and that’s going to lead into next week.
McGovern hasn’t had enough match play so expect him to be better for it next week also. He was eye catching in both a good way and a bad way tonight.

I’m a little frustrated …frustrated we didn’t get any free flowing exciting footy.

It’s bigger picture stuff. I look forward to next week.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:21 am 
Harry Vallence

Ordinary game

Although, expectation is both teams can only get better

My concern about ball movement is still valid

We move it too slowly and rely too heavily on Curnow and McKay for big marks

Need an injection of speed in the midfield

Desperately need a third marking forward for the hit up

Martin is too unreliable

Not sure what we do with Fisher. He has stagnated since his first year. Fortunate to be getting games.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:00 am 
Rod McGregor

This game reminds me of the last game against Collingwood last year all we needed was a point for a draw and kicked it out of bounds on the full. Against Richmond all we needed was a point to get the win and LOB kicks it to Harry who is surrounded by Richmond players. It seems that we have a lot of players that lack situational awareness and make poor judgement calls at the end of close games. That's an area that needs vast improvement as those close losses last year kept us from making the eight.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:21 am 
Ken Hunter

Funny/not funny, a draw in Rd 23 would have gotten us into the finals.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:24 am 
Ken Hunter

GreatEx wrote:
Just saw the last two minutes. For all the scapegoating we love to do here, if H hadn't slipped we'd be saying what a brilliant play by LOB to run down valuable seconds and split the defence for H to give us a winning lead. Just shit outta luck again. But following the score on the phone, it felt like a game we were inevitably going to get overrun in. But we weren't. Also, I'm not too worried about a scrappy start. Geelong halved their first 10 games last year, didn't they? Or 8. Point is, the top teams pace themselves, and we peaked early last year. Tonight was OK.

True. If Acres had held that mark, we'd probably have won too. Always a lot of what ifs in a close/drawn game.

I think a lot of us just really needed a win last night after the horror ending to last year, hence the frothing.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 219 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next