Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:24 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:48 am 
Bob Chitty

Even though it was a practice match and the scores rarely count for much, that was really average. The knock on us last year was what have they got if they can’t dominate stoppage. I was hoping to see an improved transition game from D50 to F50 and being better at forcing and punishing turnovers. Saw none of that. Long bombs down the line. No fluent ball movement through the middle. Also beaten in the contest early which is meant to be our one wood.

Only saving grace is we presumably will get Cripps, H and Newman back next week. Maybe we roll the dice with McGovern but it’s extremely disappointing he couldn’t even get one pre season game in.

Liked Hollands and Cowan a lot.

Charlie looked good, so did Weiters. Hewett, Cerra, Doc solid. Acres reasonable. Otherwise too many passengers. LOB, Honey, Owies really average and a few others not much better

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:05 am 
Harry Vallence

aboynamedsue wrote:
Rod Spooky Galt wrote:
No injuries

Dow?

I said what I said.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:27 am 
Bruce Doull

Did it piss down raining? Because if it did I wouldn't be surprised or disappointed if Voss had told them to take it easy & not get injured

In 2005 we went full on in the preseason & won the thing, while pretty much every other club took the piss.

We then went on to win 4 games for the year :lol:

Sent from my Nokia G21 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 12:47 pm 
Harry Vallence

bondiblue wrote:
tap in 79 wrote:
The small forward positions & hff is a weakness.

Fisher is nearly at 100 games & yet I can’t remember a time he was one of the top players on the ground.

SPS nearly clocked 100 games for Carlton.
The number of games gifted shouldnt increase expectations.

Fisher doesn't like contact, and I'm not crazy about Fisher

When the going gets tough, Fisher goes missing

Only thrives when we are dominating and in control of a game

Typical front runner

Probably should have been traded about 3 years ago when he had some value

We gift too many games to players who don’t deserve it and pay the price for it

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 12:49 pm 
Craig Bradley

Cowan slices through the defence and passes to LOB standing in the centre circle... LOB runs 20m back towards the swans goal, stops, props and passes to a team mate near the boundary lol... I can't take this team seriously

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:06 pm 
Ken Hunter

tommi wrote:
That’s great Kezz….

no injuries…!

does he fall off the stage often…?

kindest regards tommi

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:41 pm 
Harry Vallence

LOB and Dow - neither of them good last night

Holland and Cowan showed much more.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:32 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

david31 wrote:
Even though it was a practice match and the scores rarely count for much, that was really average. The knock on us last year was what have they got if they can’t dominate stoppage. I was hoping to see an improved transition game from D50 to F50 and being better at forcing and punishing turnovers. Saw none of that. Long bombs down the line. No fluent ball movement through the middle. Also beaten in the contest early which is meant to be our one wood.

Only saving grace is we presumably will get Cripps, H and Newman back next week. Maybe we roll the dice with McGovern but it’s extremely disappointing he couldn’t even get one pre season game in.

Liked Hollands and Cowan a lot.

Charlie looked good, so did Weiters. Hewett, Cerra, Doc solid. Acres reasonable. Otherwise too many passengers. LOB, Honey, Owies really average and a few others not much better

This.

I think unless you're a top team who's got recent silverware in your cupboard practice games while obviously not critically important in terms of results are nonetheless more of an indicator these days than say 20 years ago. You want to be showing cohesion, decent ball movement etc. You don't have to win the game but you'd want to have some form.It is hard for me to be confident we will roll Richmond in R1 based off the rubbish we dished up last night. Hopefully the players were tired from a recent uptick in training loads because if not Sydney's ball movement looked a million times better, light scarily better. We looked like a very average side last night.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:33 pm 
Harry Vallence

CK95 wrote:
Did it piss down raining? Because if it did I wouldn't be surprised or disappointed if Voss had told them to take it easy & not get injured

In 2005 we went full on in the preseason & won the thing, while pretty much every other club took the piss.

I was at the ground and it was a couple of brief light showers.

There was no system, structure, midfield impact and run and carry to name a few. There were also numerous skill errors and turnovers. One in particular springs to mind. A good transition movement from defence ends up with LOB. With little or no pressure on him he proceeds to drill a pass straight to a swans defender who barely had to break stride. The subsequent turnover results in a swans goal.

If we bring anything like that level in our round 1 match, Richmond will destroy us.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:33 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

sticksaftersiren87 wrote:
LOB and Dow - neither of them good last night

Holland and Cowan showed much more.

Hopefully that is a sign the older players took the foot off the pedal but I am not sure. I mean LOB has achieved SFA and isn't a walk up starter.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 4:18 pm 
Bruce Comben

Did Cunners play?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 4:28 pm 
Trevor Keogh

CK95 wrote:

Are you saying you didn't buy the Wizard Cup GF DVD? @#$%&! that was champagne football. I had a hard on until Rd 3...

ED since.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:21 pm 
Laurie Kerr

Nitrille wrote:
Did Cunners play?

Didn’t he just do his shoulder last week ?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:44 pm 
Bruce Doull

wasthesonofapreacherman wrote:
CK95 wrote:

Are you saying you didn't buy the Wizard Cup GF DVD? @#$%&! that was champagne football. I had a hard on until Rd 3...

ED since.

I went to both the 05 & 07 Wizard Cups & partied very hard after :grin:

Not enough credit is given to those great Pagan dual premiership teams

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:03 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

FWIW I thought Dow was pretty good. Clean hands and looked physically and mentally surer of himself and his game.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:18 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

And I thought Plowman was terrible.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:41 am 
Wayne Johnston

BluesRockMyWorld wrote:
CK95 wrote:

There was no system, structure, midfield impact and run and carry to name a few. There were also numerous skill errors and turnovers. One in particular springs to mind. A good transition movement from defence ends up with LOB. With little or no pressure on him he proceeds to drill a pass straight to a swans defender who barely had to break stride. The subsequent turnover results in a swans goal.

If we bring anything like that level in our round 1 match, Richmond will destroy us.

I remember that LOB play, I really don’t think it was a skill error, that ball was heading straight to a leading blues fwd, LOB just lacked the awareness to see that the pass would be intercepted.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:49 am 
Geoff Southby

Only partly watched the game in-between the madness at dinner time.

Cowan, Hollands and Acres all have great intent but all 3 need to work on their disposals and decision making.
I hope Acres is just a bit rusty and the kids need more time to adjust.
Only noticed Cincotta in the last round, he has good size.
If we do play one of the kids in round 1, I hope we only play 1, otherwise we will get slaughtered.
Our wings and midfield are still the issue, intent only gets you so far, hitting targets in F50 is more important IMO as our game plan needs skill now.
What I seen of Dow, he looks like he is getting better with his running, but he is still a long way off of AFL level. Maybe it's confidence now.
TDK in the ruck was a bit of a non-event also.
I didn't like Doc in the middle either, we really need him and Saad on HBF if we are to have good defensive drive forward.
I still worry that we didn't stock up on another mature ruck and inside mid because the difference of skill from our starting line and their respective "back-ups" are just too far apart and not at the level required to not only make finals but to win in them.
No injuries to the starting mids and Pitto are the key to us making finals this year, big risk IMO.
I just hope Austin and Co. strategy is to stock up on mature talent the next 3 years to push for a cup, otherwise he gets the boot.

I can't believe our midfield got cleaned up by a 3rd year 175cm mid, the kid had it on a string.
We may have "inside" depth but it isn't AFL level depth unfortunatey, it took me a while to realise Ed was even playing.
Hopefully he can get back to some form of AFL standard also, we may need it.

Thank goodness that was only a praccy match and we had no injuries.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:32 pm 
Harry Vallence

sinbagger wrote:
BluesRockMyWorld wrote:
CK95 wrote:

I remember that LOB play, I really don’t think it was a skill error, that ball was heading straight to a leading blues fwd, LOB just lacked the awareness to see that the pass would be intercepted.

Maybe. But if I recall correctly there was at least two other Swans in the vicinity. They could have raffled it. The leading forward was at least 5 metres behind them. Maybe it wasn't the best example, but I'm sure you would agree the disposal skills were generally ordinary, and we turnd the ball over ALOT.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 3:21 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

robertbb wrote:
I already don't like two things:

1) Our transition out of defence is too predictable and relies on a lob outlet kick to the flanks.
1) Cut up way too easily out of our forward line.
BluesRockMyWorld wrote:
CK95 wrote:

I agree here...
The thing that scared the most was our poor skills BUT the real worry was the amount of times we seemed to not take the first (and good) option... led to more pressure led to more skill errors....

Not sure about dinky floating 20 metre passes.. Sydney showed how they should be done....

I wonder if we were 'trying to get it to the outside' regardless of the situation.... Like the Aussies sweep at everything tactics....
Plenty of give and go options up the middle... not taken... Plenty of play on options... not taken...

Weird or a worry... Not sure which yet

Go Blues

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next