Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:34 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:40 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Paddycripps wrote:
robertbb wrote:
Little Fish has been surprising many, but I reckon we'll see a new level of tenacity and aggression this year

Blacres will absolutely shock and awe - he just knows where to run and what to do

Outta left field, I reckon Lachlan Cowan will get a call-up at some point sooner than we think and we'll have found a Mr Reliable 200 gamer.

Fish and Akers are already proven players though

Fisher hasn't proven anything other than he isn't reliable and should be kicking more goals

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 4:49 am 
Rod Ashman

bondiblue wrote:
1. Cottrell: I thought he cemented his spot in the team last year and improved as the year progressed. He looked stronger before Xmas and He must have some belief he belongs. He has pace and stamina to burn and his disposal is good. Can take a forward mark and kick a goal. When he gets over his cautious recovery I expect he will play wing ahead of LOB and Hollands.

2. Motlop: he also cemented his spot once he debuted. He was a baby last year and was fearless with his tackling. Has completed his first full preseason so expecting to see a better version of Motlop in 2023.

3. I feel the HFF is Martins to lose. His body is precarious and injury will happen the way he throws his body in. Reckless but effective. I just don’t think he will stand up and club will manage him to play cameo in Finals. There’s an opportunity for a HFF. I liked what I saw of Henry in all the games he played in 2023. I didn’t think that during season but changed my view after I watched all games again.

4. To play Docherty in the midfield, and maybe 7th defender, we need to unearth a HB. I expect Boyd to relieve Newman or Plowman on small forwards but until he gets back from injury I wouldn’t be surprised to see the mature Cincotta earn a spot and hold onto it. I love his physical attack on man and ball, he breaks tackles and has speed. Most important he has elite disposal on both sides of the body

Kemp as 3rd tall was good last year. Wasn’t his fault he was last man standing and was undersized against opponents like Taberner and resting rucks. He is behind Gov, Marchy and S.Durdin is for the g
Big boys. 3rd tall? He’s behind TDK and Jack imo. I think Kemp will be a big bodied mid like Cripps and Kennedy…. Not this year.

We need Pitto and TDK to improve their ruck craft and hold marks in 2023. They will make the biggest difference to a team that oozes talent on every line, except ruck.

Agree with all your assessments Bondi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 4:54 am 
Rod Ashman

Interesting that Dow has completely dropped away.
It would be a huge and positive surprise if he can find his way into a solid senior position.
I also think Fisher will take another step forward.
Kemp is one that could make a huge difference if he can break out as a kid at some point.
And yes, I’d love to see Cowan and Carroll break out.

Most likely? For mine, it is TDK.
People keep talking about him in the way they talk about absolute guns before they show themselves. So it should be time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:04 am 
John Nicholls

kingkerna wrote:
Paddycripps wrote:
robertbb wrote:
Little Fish has been surprising many, but I reckon we'll see a new level of tenacity and aggression this year

Blacres will absolutely shock and awe - he just knows where to run and what to do

Outta left field, I reckon Lachlan Cowan will get a call-up at some point sooner than we think and we'll have found a Mr Reliable 200 gamer.

Fish and Akers are already proven players though

Fisher hasn't proven anything other than he isn't reliable and should be kicking more goals

What's unreliable about Fish?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:34 am 
Geoff Southby

SurreyBlue wrote:
redback wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:
For those saying Kemp - in what position will he establish himself?

wing

:thumbsup:

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:49 am 
Geoff Southby

FarmerBlue wrote:
I expect a lot from many. My Take

LOB will become a more competent player and go to next level. He has put on muscle and looks ready
Jesse Motlop to establish himself as a dangerous X factor small forward
Cerra to become an elite midfielder

There are more but that is my top 3

I like the sounds of these.

Dow will be the surprise for me.
I'd be surprised if he doesn't have a real crack at it this year.
A goal for him is to try and be good enough to knock on the door to be a reserve for any injuries that may occur.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:36 am 
Geoff Southby

The Dow discussion has possibly been done to death, but the problem for him is he is a one trick pony; it’s inside midfield or bust. He is good enough to play AFL in that role, but not with us. I can’t see him going ahead of Cripps, Cerra, Hewitt or Kennedy - so he becomes simply injury backup. He would get a regular game for us if he could play another position (eg. wing) while rotating through the centre square. Unfortunately he always looks lost when in other positions. It’s such a shame because we all want him to succeed.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:02 pm 
Geoff Southby

aboynamedsue wrote:
The Dow discussion has possibly been done to death, but the problem for him is he is a one trick pony; it’s inside midfield or bust. He is good enough to play AFL in that role, but not with us. I can’t see him going ahead of Cripps, Cerra, Hewitt or Kennedy - so he becomes simply injury backup. He would get a regular game for us if he could play another position (eg. wing) while rotating through the centre square. Unfortunately he always looks lost when in other positions. It’s such a shame because we all want him to succeed.

I don't see that as an issue being an injury back up, we still need depth.
Out of our starting inside mids you can pretty much bet we will lose 1-2 of them per year to injury so he will have a role.
However, based on last year he still needs to work on his defensive game and 2 way running first.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:42 pm 
Bob Chitty

The two young small forwards come to mind as players who should elevate their games this year. Motlop knows where to find the goals and should be able to give us a third 30+ goal kicker this season, which we desperately need. Expecting Durdin to hit the scoreboard a bit more consistently this year too. Both reportedly having good pre seasons (subject of course to unconfirmed rumour re minor Durdin niggle/injury).

The other one is Cerra. We have 5 standout mids who will play each week if fit - Cripps, Walsh, Hewett, Kennedy and Cerra. Each are best playing in the middle. Only problem is you can only play 3 in the centre bounce at once. By my very average maths that’s 60% centre bounce midfield time her player. Clearly we know Cripps will be playing more than that. No coincidence Cerra’s best performances came when one of the others were out - Rd 1 vs Richmond, no Walsh; Freo in Perth, no Kennedy; Collingwood first time, no Kennedy and Collingwood Rd 23, no Kennedy, Walsh or Hewett). Suspect he’ll step up early in the absence of Walsh and be the main beneficiary of that unfortunate injury.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:13 pm 
Geoff Southby

Sidefx wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:

Out of our starting inside mids you can pretty much bet we will lose 1-2 of them per year to injury so he will have a role.
However, based on last year he still needs to work on his defensive game and 2 way running first.

Agree we need depth and he provides it. I guess my point is that there will need to be a series of unforeseen (and unfortunate) events for Dow to ‘surprise’ in 2023.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:24 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Related to my earlier post, about our depth players lacking experience, this article and analysis would suggest while we might be a likely final 8 side this year, our chances of going all the way in 2023 might be slim, given our avg games played is well off the traditional average of premiership sides...

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/the ... 5cke9.html

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:57 pm 
Geoff Southby

Paddycripps wrote:
I feel there is a lot of depth in theory, but not much depth that right now I feel confident I can trust….
…..on paper I think we have about 16 or so genuinely good players, and then there is a stack of fringe depth, but not a lot of these guys have stepped it up, and I don't think we will become a real contender until a handful of these guys surprise and really emerge.
People always say it is about your bottom 4 or 5 players. The players ranked 18-22 in your 22. But really that group is about 15 deep.

I agree with all this.

And we focused on getting kids in the door this preseason so our depth in the short term is unlikely to improve.

To do better this year, we need our top tier to stay healthy and keep playing near their best, and for a few C graders to quickly become ‘automatic selection’ B graders.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:00 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Paddycripps wrote:
Related to my earlier post, about our depth players lacking experience, this article and analysis would suggest while we might be a likely final 8 side this year, our chances of going all the way in 2023 might be slim, given our avg games played is well off the traditional average of premiership sides...

We may have more A Graders than we think.
Our spine is A Grade.
Our midfield group is A Grade
Our Defensive group is A Grade.

Injuries rob us, which implies depth is our achilles heal, perhaps experience with our bottom 6.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:29 am 
Stephen Kernahan

aboynamedsue wrote:
DocSherrin III wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:

No positions...just surprises!!

:sly:

Very cryptic! :grin:

Sorry abns, I just don't think he'll have a set position all year. I think Hamill, Clarke and Hansen will all have Kemp in their huddle as line coaches throughout the season and Voss will move Brodie's magnet around a fair bit on that whiteboard. He's got a reasonably good footy IQ from what I understand, and was moved around as a junior so I don't have an issue with the utility approach.

To be perfectly honest, I haven't been this excited about a number 17 since Frida Lyngstad donned Rod Galt's XL back in March '77.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:42 am 
Geoff Southby

Paddycripps wrote:

Interesting read.
It seems the average age of 25-27 with 120-140 games experience is the sweet spot to winning premierships.
This makes it even more odd we didn't try and get more mature recruits last year like some of the top 8 teams have done.
I feel the club is pushing for a premiership window in two to three years based on the recruiting decisions made last year and this info.
I'm cool with that and happy to chalk this year down as another development year, as long as we are competitive for a lengthy period of time.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:45 am 
Geoff Southby

aboynamedsue wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:

Agree we need depth and he provides it. I guess my point is that there will need to be a series of unforeseen (and unfortunate) events for Dow to ‘surprise’ in 2023.

Unfortunate yes.
Unforeseen, unfortunately not.
I'm a beaten man when it comes to our injury woes.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:02 am 
Geoff Southby

DocSherrin III wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:
DocSherrin III wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:

No positions...just surprises!!

:sly:

Very cryptic! :grin:

Sorry abns, I just don't think he'll have a set position all year. I think Hamill, Clarke and Hansen will all have Kemp in their huddle as line coaches throughout the season and Voss will move Brodie's magnet around a fair bit on that whiteboard. He's got a reasonably good footy IQ from what I understand, and was moved around as a junior so I don't have an issue with the utility approach.

To be perfectly honest, I haven't been this excited about a number 17 since Frida Lyngstad donned Rod Galt's XL back in March '77.

I share your excitement about Frida. Not so much about Kemp. :lol:

But obviously I hope he ‘surprises’!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 1:37 pm 
Harry Vallence

bondiblue wrote:
Paddycripps wrote:

We may have more A Graders than we think.
Our spine is A Grade.
Our midfield group is A Grade
Our Defensive group is A Grade.

Injuries rob us, which implies depth is our achilles heal, perhaps experience with our bottom 6.

agree. Injuries the key

Cripps Weitering McKay Charlie are A Grade
Walsh & Doc as well.
I would include Hewett Cerra Saad Kennedy as close or have the ability to be A grade

What we need is names like C.Durdin Young Motlop Martin Fisher Acres O'Brien TDK McGovern Cuningham to go close or hit that level as well

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:26 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

I'm going Motlop. Kid looks like he's about to explode.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:00 pm 
Rod Ashman

Paddycripps wrote:

I think this analysis is thin. Yes, age profile is important but lots of different ways to hit these averages. Our age profile might have been closer with Murphy and Simpson in their last year :-o. This analysis would have branded Geelong too old. Melbourne too young. Richmond too young when they won it in 2017.

We have plenty of hard, mature and experienced players to bolster any inexperience in a couple of youngsters. We are right in the window. I would still consider 2024/25 our absolute prime years but if we don't climb the mountain this season, I will not be blaming the age profile. We need to grab the bull by the horns, and control our own destiny.

MAture/Hard/experienced: Weitering, Harry, JSOS, Charlie, Crippa, Kennedy, Hewett, Saad, Docherty, Fisher, Plowman, Newmann, O'Brien, Acres, Pittonet, E Curnow,
Mature/experienced but not so hard: Martin, Marchbank, McGovern, O'Brien, Cunningham
Mid-range but experienced enough: Walsh, Cerra, Cotterell
Young but can hopefully take next step: TDK, Motlop, Durdin