Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:09 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:05 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

For positive reasons.

I'm sort of thinking players who haven't really arrived yet.

Hollands?
Cuningham?
LOB?
Motlop?
Little Durds?
Cotters?
Kemp?
Etc...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:10 pm 
Bruce Doull

I'm really looking forward to Carroll's season

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:47 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:14 pm 
Robert Walls

I think it's Kemp's time to shine.

Looking forward to seeing Boyd and Carroll build on what they showed last year

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:59 pm 
Geoff Southby

Reckon Sam Durdin is a very good player who hasn't clicked but will eventually find his mojo . I think Carroll and Kemp have talent and i'm hoping they make an impact .

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:22 am 
Geoff Southby

For those saying Kemp - in what position will he establish himself?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:15 am 
Stephen Kernahan

aboynamedsue wrote:

No positions...just surprises!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:23 am 
Geoff Southby

aboynamedsue wrote:

Yeah , well thats a tricky question " Sue " . For me it would be third tall in the backline or third tall in the forward line which would mean he would have to push out Jack or The Gov . Big ask hey . One thing for sure is he is one of those blokes who plays better in the " one's " than he does in the " magoo's ". Didn't look out of place in his handful of games last year and for mine was unlucky to be dropped . Anyhow , thats just what i think but its a good question all the same Sue .

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:55 am 
Harry Vallence

Little Durds - I think we will see him kick more goals while still applying manic pressure

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:20 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

1. Cottrell: I thought he cemented his spot in the team last year and improved as the year progressed. He looked stronger before Xmas and He must have some belief he belongs. He has pace and stamina to burn and his disposal is good. Can take a forward mark and kick a goal. When he gets over his cautious recovery I expect he will play wing ahead of LOB and Hollands.

2. Motlop: he also cemented his spot once he debuted. He was a baby last year and was fearless with his tackling. Has completed his first full preseason so expecting to see a better version of Motlop in 2023.

3. I feel the HFF is Martins to lose. His body is precarious and injury will happen the way he throws his body in. Reckless but effective. I just don’t think he will stand up and club will manage him to play cameo in Finals. There’s an opportunity for a HFF. I liked what I saw of Honey in all the games he played in 2023. I didn’t think that during season but changed my view after I watched all games again.

4. To play Docherty in the midfield, and maybe 7th defender, we need to unearth a HB. I expect Boyd to relieve Newman or Plowman on small forwards but until he gets back from injury I wouldn’t be surprised to see the mature Cincotta earn a spot and hold onto it. I love his physical attack on man and ball, he breaks tackles and has speed. Most important he has elite disposal on both sides of the body

Kemp as 3rd tall was good last year. Wasn’t his fault he was last man standing and was undersized against opponents like Taberner and resting rucks. He is behind Gov, Marchy and S.Durdin is for the g
Big boys. 3rd tall? He’s behind TDK and Jack imo. I think Kemp will be a big bodied mid like Cripps and Kennedy…. Not this year.

We need Pitto and TDK to improve their ruck craft and hold marks in 2023. They will make the biggest difference to a team that oozes talent on every line, except ruck.

Last edited by bondiblue on Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:30 am 
Craig Bradley

Ed Curnow will be worth 3-4 scores per game as a fwd-mid. I’d written his eulogy when his calf went last year, but he’s looking fit as a fiddle in the preseason.

From the rookies, I think Cowan will earn himself an early rising star nomination & Lemmey will boot 30-40 majors in the ressies.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:12 am 
John Nicholls

Little Fish has been surprising many, but I reckon we'll see a new level of tenacity and aggression this year

Blacres will absolutely shock and awe - he just knows where to run and what to do

Outta left field, I reckon Lachlan Cowan will get a call-up at some point sooner than we think and we'll have found a Mr Reliable 200 gamer.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:42 pm 
Geoff Southby

DocSherrin III wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:

No positions...just surprises!!

:sly:

Very cryptic! :grin:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:45 pm 
Geoff Southby

Mickstar wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:

Yeah , well thats a tricky question " Sue " . For me it would be third tall in the backline or third tall in the forward line which would mean he would have to push out Jack or The Gov . Big ask hey . One thing for sure is he is one of those blokes who plays better in the " one's " than he does in the " magoo's ". Didn't look out of place in his handful of games last year and for mine was unlucky to be dropped . Anyhow , thats just what i think but it’s a good question all the same Sue .

I see him as injury backup for McGovern & Marchbank…..so he should play 22 games :yikes:
:donk:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:40 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

I don't really have a player I think is likely to jump up this year.

I think the important thing is a number of these fringe types jump up this year.
When I look at our list, and I try and make a Best 22, I feel there is a lot of depth in theory, but not much depth that right now I feel confident I can trust.
There's a lot of players on the list who have had a small taste. But most of these haven't stamped themselves as really serious players yet.
And it isn't just young kids.
I mean guys like Cuningham and Marchbank are mid aged now but haven't truly arrived due to injury.
And then there are older players like Tall Duds and Cincotta who I think have some semblance of promise but they obviously haven't really stamped their authority on the list either. Maybe these older types are merely stop gaps. But part of me thinks, we have seen that good players can come from anywhere. It isn't always kids. Some mature agers genuinely surprise and become more than just temporary emergency depth.
So I guess what I am saying is, on paper I think we have about 16 or so genuinely good players, and then there is a stack of fringe depth, but not a lot of these guys have stepped it up, and I don't think we will become a real contender until a handful of these guys surprise and really emerge.
People always say it is about your bottom 4 or 5 players. The players ranked 18-22 in your 22. But really that group is about 15 deep.
So who is going to stand up?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:41 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

robertbb wrote:
Little Fish has been surprising many, but I reckon we'll see a new level of tenacity and aggression this year

Blacres will absolutely shock and awe - he just knows where to run and what to do

Outta left field, I reckon Lachlan Cowan will get a call-up at some point sooner than we think and we'll have found a Mr Reliable 200 gamer.

Fish and Akers are already proven players though

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:42 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

I was going to say Boyd before he got injured

I really like his leg speed and kicking. The MC clearly wanted to play him last year. They obviously value that speed. Look at us now with Williams and Walsh out and also Cotters and Boyd out. We suddenly look weakened in terms of run and speed.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:14 pm 
Rod Ashman

aboynamedsue wrote:

wing

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:34 pm 
Ken Hunter

redback wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:

wing

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:35 pm 
Harry Vallence

I expect a lot from many. My Take

LOB will become a more competent player and go to next level. He has put on muscle and looks ready
Jesse Motlop to establish himself as a dangerous X factor small forward
Cerra to become an elite midfielder

There are more but that is my top 3