Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:41 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 369 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 19  Next
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:09 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Just hope we win 1 of the first 2

Post subject: Rd 1: Richmond v Carlton
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:44 am 
Wayne Johnston

rhino27 wrote:
Rod Spooky Galt wrote:
We've had supposedly the worst run in the comp with injuries and the blame appears largely placed on the club medical staff.

But you guys still want to play McGovern and Martin with a history of soft tissue injuries and no pre-season hitout?

B Newman Young Plowman
HB Saad Weitering Docherty
C Acres Cripps Cerra
HF Silvagni De Koning Owies
F Curnow McKay Motlop
R Pittonet Kennedy Hewett
INT O'Brien, E.Curnow C.Durdin Cowan (Fisher sub)

Don't disagree re Martin in particular. If we had close to a full list to choose from, I wouldn't have him in the side. Not convinced C.Durdin will come up.
Until a couple of weeks ago, Gov was participating in full training and by all reports was one of our best in the intra club we played. He is also far better than any alternative. Assuming he is fit, very comfortable him playing round 1.

Gov strikes me as the sort of player that doesn’t need any practice matches, he’s either on or off in a match, and it’s got nothing to do with how much practice he’s had. There’s much more chance of him getting injured than gaining anything from match practice.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:17 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Im expecting a different Carlton to the one we saw in Sydney.

I'm expecting more overlap run, and fast play.
We will keep the ball on the move and play on more than we did on Friday.

When have you ever seen Saad avoid playing on and running to accept a handball. Never, till last Friday.

My only concern is the ruck and I would not risk playing just one against Nankervis and Soldo of whoever Tigers choose to ruck. No way would I give the Tigers the ascendency in the ruck, and with Jack, I think that's what we hand them. Two different types of rucks will be helpful. I like what we did in the ruck last year in round 1.

Speed is what the players have shown in the preseason. This may have been hampered a bit with Williams doing an ACL, but we have plenty of run in this side to get through Tigers defence.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:33 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Paddycripps wrote:
Tad concerned for a number of reasons...

- the dilemma about whether Pitto TDK and SOS all play, will we stuff this up and backfire on us?
- dilemma about picking talented players who haven't played a practice game so McGovern and Martin and maybe Durds and Glassbank, as above will this blow up in our face?
- dilemma over whether to play one or both of Hollands and Cowan... is Hollands despite his talent just not physically strong enough ?

I understand your concerns but on point 1 and granted it was a small sample size as Pitto played a couple, got hurt, missed 1, cameback and 2 or 3 weeks later got hurt again and was out for while. But, we did play our best footy with all 4 in the side at the start of the season. I reckon we'll go with all 4 to start off as that's what we did 12 months ago. If it doesn't work, we'll make adjustments. The no restriction on use of sub will help too. Big assumption I know, but assuming no early injury, we can sub one off for a runner if it isn't working.

Point 2, I expect if fit Gov will play. Only been out the last 2 weeks so has had a good base. Martin been building to be ready for round 1. Touch and go whether he and C.Durdin play, but I think one does and one doesn't. Marchy wont play.

Point 3. Cowan should play. Probably out of Hollands and LOB. In my team I had LOB in the 22 and Hollands as sub but could easily go the other way. I get the Hollands being too slight and not strong enough yet, but if we see LOB's history of failing to break tackles and stick tackles, we'd lose nothing in that department should we play Hollands ahead of him. Different story if we're considering playing both.

Assume the team gets announced on the Tuesday night before the game? If so, all will be revealed in 9 days time.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:35 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

bondiblue wrote:

When have you ever seen Saad avoid playing on and running to accept a handball. Never, till last Friday.

My only concern is the ruck and I would not risk playing just one against Nankervis and Soldo of whoever Tigers choose to ruck. No way would I give the Tigers the ascendency in the ruck, and with Jack, I think that's what we hand them. Two different types of rucks will be helpful. I like what we did in the ruck last year in round 1.

Speed is what the players have shown in the preseason. This may have been hampered a bit with Williams doing an ACL, but we have plenty of run in this side to get through Tigers defence.

Agree wtih you Bondi. What we saw Friday night wasn't pleasant but I wouldn't be heading straight to the worry room over it either. Not only will we field a stronger team in round 1 with Cripps, H, Newman and Gov, am certain we'll show far greater intent too.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:41 am 
Bruce Doull

rhino27 wrote:
Point 2, I expect if fit Gov will play. Only been out the last 2 weeks so has had a good base.

I thought he was missing from training for a couple of weeks before that also wasn't he?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:43 am 
Bruce Doull

I watched a bit of Richmond's game & even though they lost, they still looked good. If that makes sense.

Oh & Ralphy reported they'd be most likely Josh Gibcus short of a best list to choose from. Awesome! :grin:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:00 am 
Geoff Southby

Paddycripps wrote:
Just hope we win 1 of the first 2

I think I need your optimism, I'm hoping we win 1 of the first 5 at the moment.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:46 am 
Geoff Southby

Paddycripps wrote:
Tad concerned for a number of reasons...

- the dilemma about whether Pitto TDK and SOS all play, will we stuff this up and backfire on us?
- dilemma about picking talented players who haven't played a practice game so McGovern and Martin and maybe Durds and Glassbank, as above will this blow up in our face?
- dilemma over whether to play one or both of Hollands and Cowan... is Hollands despite his talent just not physically strong enough ?

Hollands as sub imho. Protect him from initial physical heat and bring him on for run later in the game

Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:57 am 
Stephen Kernahan

bondiblue wrote:

We'll need to because to be honest in both praccy sessions, I've not seen any zip. I'm concerned we've gone all in on the crash and bash, win at the stoppage and the rest will take care of itself gameplan and forgot about pace, pace and more pace.

Richmond's most important player by a country mile is Liam Baker. Can Ed run with him?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:37 am 
Geoff Southby

DocSherrin III wrote:
bondiblue wrote:

We'll need to because to be honest in both praccy sessions, I've not seen any zip. I'm concerned we've gone all in on the crash and bash, win at the stoppage and the rest will take care of itself gameplan and forgot about pace, pace and more pace.

I agree we have looked slow - as much with our ball movement as leg speed. I imagine the plan was to have Williams and Saad has a double threat running out of defence, but that plan is on hold now until 2024 (unless Boyd can slot into the Williams role). Cincotta & Cowan did well in the preseason games but they aren’t going to give us the same level of dash and dare.
The pace situation is not go to be helped by playing Pittonet, TDK & SOJ in the same side.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:57 pm 
Craig Bradley

I’m hoping Prestia doesn’t play has beaten us on his own the last few times
Ridiculous amount of clearances in that wet game last year

Richmond backline is short and we should have ascendancy there if our method and execution is much better than the crap served up on Friday night slow indecisive and hitting swans defenders on the chest

Backline looked jittery on Friday night need to stiffen up and be more assured
Midfield also was beaten easily by the swans

I’m hoping of course we will win against Tigers but Friday night showed all the weaknesses of last year and none seem remedied including never getting our best team on the park cf the Tigers who have a full list and might have Prestia in any case

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:41 pm 
Harry Vallence

DocSherrin III wrote:
bondiblue wrote:

Richmond's most important player by a country mile is Liam Baker. Can Ed run with him?

We lacked any run and carry on Friday. There was nil system in place to provide an effective transition movement. I don't think I've seen Saad play a worse game and have as little impact. I don't think we won at the stoppage either, or when we did we turned the ball over.

So in short, I hope all of that was just a "blip" and maybe to preserve the risk of "injury". Because seriously, if all of those areas aren't turned around 100% and the team plays at a similar level that they did against Sydney, then Richmond will smash us by 10 plus goals...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:51 pm 
Harry Vallence

frank dardew wrote:

Richmond backline is short and we should have ascendancy there if our method and execution is much better than the crap served up on Friday night slow indecisive and hitting swans defenders on the chest

I’m hoping of course we will win against Tigers but Friday night showed all the weaknesses of last year and none seem remedied including never getting our best team on the park cf the Tigers who have a full list and might have Prestia in any case

I agree - Prestia IMO is in their top two or three players and is seriously underrated. Generally has a picnic against us, lets hope that does not continue.

I seriously don't see us turning that rubbish we served up against the swans around in time for Round one. Like u say, we showed the weaknesses of last season, so there appears to be no improvement there (despite having a win against the Pies the week before).

Besides Weitering and Doc, our backline looked very rusty and flaky. Young had a horror. Plowman was worse. We are unlikely to be playing Gov with no preseason games under his belt either.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:39 pm 
Craig Bradley

bondiblue wrote:

I think Richmond is one of the few sides where we can afford to go with just Pitto and a set of spare parts in the ruck.

Nankervis is one of the better athletes in the position, but his style of game is a fairly easy read.
He gets around the ground well enough, but it’s his leg drive and acceleration that lets him push off and pounce on the ground ball. In NFL terms, he’s a guard that’s most destructive in the second level.
Whilst gets a lot of wins, he’s also got the worst free kick ratio amongst rucks. Outside of the ruck duel, he will crush you in the initial ground ball contest, but he’s susceptible in the air.

The risk with selecting our side against the Tigers is that we overcommit to the ruck duel. Every aspect Nankervis’s game is geared around tipping the contest at that second level. Richmond aren’t playing a stoppage-based game. They want the knock ons and rolling scraps. If they pick two rucks, there’s f-all chance the spare is setting up inside forward 50.

Pittonet & Jack/Cripps/Young is the right mix for Richmond.

Geelong, Melbourne, Freo, Dogs, Norf, GC, Adelaide… these are the sides where you’ll want to have a consistent ruck contest.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 3:24 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

DocSherrin III wrote:
bondiblue wrote:

THIS with a capital 'THIS'

Go Blues

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 4:05 pm 
Ken Hunter

Looks like the game is sold out, or at least to the general public.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:23 pm 
Bruce Doull

Tomorrow….

the footy starts next week…!

kindest regards tommi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:20 pm 
Bruce Doull

Hey….

the footy starts next week…!

kindest regards tommi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:02 am 
John James

frank dardew wrote:

Says it all.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 369 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 19  Next