Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:36 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:46 am 
Wayne Johnston

Effes wrote:
https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/04/17/theyre-having-to-play-left-handed-the-key-statistic-that-highlights-carltons/

Carlton’s biggest strength from 2022 has turned into an enormous weakness this season.

They have fallen from one of the best teams in the competition at scoring from stoppages to one of the worst, a swing that David King is worried about.

The Blues played Patrick Cripps, George Hewett, Sam Walsh, Ed Curnow, Matthew Kennedy and Adam Cerra together on-ball, the first time that group has taken the field together.

King believes the on-ball unit may be too big and slow, if they’re not dominating at the source.

“They’re having to play left-handed,” King told SEN’s Whateley.

“They’re having to find other ways to win that they’re actually not very good at.

“Credit to the opposition they’ve played, but the bottom line is the big bulls at Carlton haven’t been tough enough, haven’t been clean enough on the inside, haven’t been violent enough to get themselves out of those traffic situations, they cough up the ball, they fumble handballs, and the opposition clearly have more speed on the edges because Carlton goes with the big bulls.

“As soon as the big bulls aren’t playing like big bulls, they just become slow midfielders and vulnerable from step one.

“The gap between Jordan Dawson getting off Cripps is immediate. Hewett had a poor night.”

King broke down how the Blues have swung statistically from one of the best teams at scoring from stoppages to one of the worst.

“A couple of mids had a poor night, but I can’t believe the stoppage game. The stoppage game last year was an absolute weapon for them. They were the second best across the season, at +9 points per game,” he added.

“First 10 weeks of last year they were unbelievable. It was probably closer to 2.5 goals per game. That’s a big advantage – and the territory it gives you saves every other part of your game.

“This year, they’re averaging two less clearances than their opponent week on week, which exposes all the other areas of the game they’re not great at, and they’re 17th at score from clearance differential at -8 points.

“So what was a strength last year is second poorest in the competition right now. They’ve got a lot of work to do and it’s going to come back to the Brownlow Medallist, Patrick Cripps, he might need to go in as a clearance and contested winning midfielder which is not ideally what you want, but the other players are not doing it.

“I said this last year, it’s a tough way to win games of footy. To consistently bludgeon other teams to death, but they have to get back to it quickly because let’s be honest, that’s they’ve all they’ve got.

“The two big boys forward of centre just need supply. The kicking to them was really poor on the weekend. High ball after high ball. They’ve got to be better than that.

“They lack skill in the midfield at the minute and they lack the beast mode from last year. Let’s see if they can turn it around.”

Carlton takes on St Kilda at Marvel Stadium on Sunday afternoon in what looms as a huge test of where both teams are at.

This assessment is spot on, we’ve all seen it unfolding. When plan a fails in the inside of the midfield we have no plan b once the ball gets outside, and we’re being smashed.

It’s nothing to do with “too much reliance on Harry and Charlie”.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 5:43 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

A miracle

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 5:48 pm 
Laurie Kerr

Paddycripps wrote:
A miracle

Run with injuries yep

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:07 pm 
Harry Vallence

Change in change plan.

We are to slow with the ball. no idea why this year we decided slow measured kicks are the way to win a premiership, we dont have the foot skills and how is letting a defence set up a good thing?

#frustrated

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:26 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

GMCbris wrote:
Change in change plan.

We are to slow with the ball. no idea why this year we decided slow measured kicks are the way to win a premiership, we dont have the foot skills and how is letting a defence set up a good thing?

#frustrated

This.
We'd need a miracle to turn around Vossy's crap game plan.
Playing safe and ultra defensive will usually backfire and also bores the shite out of many fans.
Ok. It bores me.
Maybe others love it.
Wasting talent.
Wasting flair and adventure onfield.
Sucking the life out of fun in footy.
Our boys look miserable.
I know I am.
And we still play LOB?
and Honey?
But we do 'don't play Kemp or Binns or Dow...
I know there are arguments as to why and yeah nah.
Make the most of our talent.

This rant runs to the tune of
Start Me up
Cos I can't stop ranting once I start
And cos
Carlton make a grown Buegirl cry.
They really do.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 5:52 pm 
Craig Bradley

Even more fundamentally we need to improve.

I know the year isn't over yet, but it feels like a lot of our players have gone backwards this year.
Midfield especially. Cripps, Hewitt and Kennedy had much better years last year compared to the first half of this year.
Weiters and Harry the same.

There have been improvements from Cerra and on the wings. But last year's strengths, the midfield and our talls, haven't been a strength this year.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 6:45 pm 
Ken Hunter

Yep. We need to improve and control things, not relying on other results.

eg Crows and Essendong who are around us both get Norf x1 and WCx2 to come (it would be classic Essendong to drop at least one of those tho).

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 10:35 pm 
Craig Bradley

Now 11 th before tomorrows game most disappointing team in the AFL to have that much talent and be 11th

Could turn it around with a win tomorrow but let’s face very unlikely not playing well enough to do that

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 11:54 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

missnaut wrote:
eg Crows and Essendong who are around us both get Norf x1 and WCx2 to come (it would be classic Essendong to drop at least one of those tho).

I think Essendon* still have both North x2 and WC x2 to come so you can pencil in 4 guaranteed wins for them.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 5:59 am 
Rod Ashman

I figure we have to win 9 more games out of 14. That would be some turnaround, given we have won 4 out of 9 and apparently 6 out of the last 20.
Of course, Collingwood managed better than that from around this time last year…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 8:04 am 
Craig Bradley

Who would've thought we'd need to win more games than Essendon* to make the finals? :lol:

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 8:51 am 
Ken Hunter

Humpers wrote:
missnaut wrote:

I think Essendon** still have both North x2 and WC x2 to come so you can pencil in 4 guaranteed wins for them.
Yes you're right, they do have both Norf and WC twice.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 9:49 pm 
Craig Bradley

I think we should now add 2024 to this thread title :banghead:

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 10:53 am 
Bruce Doull

I think the answer to the question is: 2 teams need to be banned for drug scandals :grin:

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 11:03 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Stating the obvious but we need to find a way to win against Syd because we have Melb after that.

Could be one win from 8 games if we can't beat Sydney on Friday.

Lose the next 2 and it is curtains I think given Ess's easy draw

We need to beat the teams aro9und us like Ess, Freo, GC and take care of GWS who are a bit lower but not playing badly

If we cannot beat those teams then WOW we could be a bottom quadrant team

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 3:03 pm 
Craig Bradley

Stefchook wrote:
Improved accuracy in front of goal, especially from Charlie and Harry.

I think we need another forward who can kick 30 plus goals. One of Martin, Motlop or Durdin? Would make Charlie and Harry even more dangerous, if we actually had another forward who was dangerous enough to draw attention.

Well at least Charlie's goalkicking has improved.
Everyone knows about Harry's struggles. With 14 goals from 10 games, he's barely on target to reach 30 goals himself.
Owies 11 goals from 5 games is an impressive ratio. Pity he's missed half the games.
Durdin comes next with 10 goals from 9 games, and Motlop 8 goals from 9 games. Not getting enough from these blokes.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 5:35 pm 
Harry Vallence

7 out of 10 wins against Sydney, Melbourne x 2, Essendon*, Gold Coast x 2, Fremantle, Port, Collingwood, St Kilda.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 5:49 pm 
Rod Ashman

Rod Spooky Galt wrote:
7 out of 10 wins against Sydney, Melbourne x 2, Essendon**, Gold Coast x 2, Fremantle, Port, Collingwood, St Kilda.

So we should start thinking about the draft, is that what you’re saying?

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 8:03 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

DesEnglish wrote:
Rod Spooky Galt wrote:
7 out of 10 wins against Sydney, Melbourne x 2, Essendon***, Gold Coast x 2, Fremantle, Port, Collingwood, St Kilda.

So we should start thinking about the draft, is that what you’re saying?

Looks that way, all the way from Sydney

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 12:02 pm 
Harry Vallence

Doing the ladder predictor today with no upsets, and funnily enough, 12 wins plus our draw might be enough to make 8th lol.

Must win vs Essendon* and Freo though, otherwise the equation is much tougher.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next