Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:44 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:05 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

I think our coaching panel (apart from Hansen) fall very short on creating and breaking down strategies and tactics.

I think too much will be left to our senior midfielders like Cripps, Hewitt, Kennedy and co to win the ball at stoppages - but after that we’re still vulnerable to be cut open as you’ve described.

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:20 pm 
John Nicholls

Blue Vain wrote:
We'll have a pretty good idea after Round 1. Playing the Pies in a practice game and Richmond in Round 1 will give an indication of how we've prepared to shut down the half back/corridor surge game that clubs were implementing in the second half of the year.
Too often clubs were able to break our defensive zone and score heavily from it. Port by switching across half back and opening us up whilst the Pies and the teams ran through the corridor from half back as the year progressed and we couldn't go with them.

We had a nice element of surprise playing Walsh as a half forward/mid who got loose at the stoppages but clubs clamped down on it in the second half of the year and our midfield dominance fell away.

It will be interesting to see what the coaches have worked on with our defensive and offensive strategies and how sustainable they will be. Last season we copied a bit of Melbourne's strategies but the trouble is when clubs worked out Melbourne, they also had a strategy to limit Carlton.
The Dees wouldn't mind so much as they had a flag to show for it. It's time for a bit of creativity and authenticity from our coaches. Last year they had no time to prepare. This year, we've had a full off season.

I'm not expecting miracles. Forget expecting top 4 or top 6. I'll be happy just to make the 8.
Once you're there, you're every chance.

First four-5 rounds are all dangerous for us, for different reasons. We could easily be 0-2, and then 2-3. It'll be a slog from then on, if that's what transpires.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:32 am 
Rod Ashman

I don’t put much stock in the pre-season matches. The pressure is never quite at the level and therefore the attacking forays generally look good but are false.
Last year, we started off with those forward handballs before a clean kick forward.
Opponents then began to block our stoppage exits and/or we went away from those coupe of handballs to get clear.
Hopefully over summer, we have plans to counter the opposition’s counter plans for us.
The Cats did this really well last year - forcing teams to pay a big price if they tried to shift Geelong from their plan. That is why Blicavs was so important to their structure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:08 pm 
Rod Ashman

In 6 games last year we had goalless quarters, including 2 in the last round. They were across the games (not just the last quarters) which tells me that we get out coached too often. If we can’t find ways to manufacture goals when things aren’t going our way we’ll be stuck in mediocrity

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:33 pm 
Rod McGregor

I make it 10 sides vying for 8 spots
Blues, Cats, Tiges, Dees, Lions, Pies, Swans, Port, Dogs, Freo
Expect Scum to improve a lot under B Scott and Giants to improve under Kingsley - danger games
Weagles, Crows and Kangas will all be better, but expect to beat
So need to win enough games against sides that are looking to make the 8 - limit scores against a bit by better Wingers thanks B Acres and snag a few more crumbing goals with improvement from Durdin and Motlop
Weitering was also pox post comeback from injury, just had no confidence to intercept - so back to early season form will be important

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:30 pm 
Geoff Southby

Meekster wrote:
Expect Scum to improve a lot under B Scott and Giants to improve under Kingsley - danger games
So need to win enough games against sides that are looking to make the 8 - limit scores against a bit by better Wingers thanks B Acres and snag a few more crumbing goals with improvement from Durdin and Motlop
Weitering was also pox post comeback from injury, just had no confidence to intercept - so back to early season form will be important

Are we related ? like your blunt style .

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:02 pm 
Craig Bradley

Meekster wrote:

Don’t sleep on Gold Coast. They generated the same number of shots last year as we did. Chol & Casboult ffs.

Put Ben King back in that side & maybe not butcher the footy in transition so much, and they’re in it up to their ears.

Eerily similar to us in the Teague years, imo.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:00 am 
Rod Ashman

There is a heap of elite talent on their list.
They will come. I reckon they will be pushing for the finals this year, just like us.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 3:43 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Aint gonna happen. We are already [REDACTED]. Look at the injury list. Oh hang on, there isn't one.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:55 am 
Craig Bradley

No more 5 goals runs will be good...

....naaawwww

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:47 pm 
Geoff Southby

It’s fun to predict how we will go before the season starts.
But to an extent it’s meaningless
So many variables come into it
What I will say is there are some common characteristics that set the champs ( top 4) to the chumps come seasons end
1 A list that has depth. At Least 30 blokes on your list can play consistent good footy to compensate for injuries and lack of form. Competition for spots is healthy
2 Some champions who were acquired as kids in the draft
3 your playing your best footy at the end of the year
4 a midfield that bats deep
5 defensive pressure. It’s just if not more important In what teams do when they haven’t got possession
6 obviously key position players are important but not is much as in the past
7 a game style where you move the ball forward whilst maintaining possession

So really to predict where we will be after say 5 rounds is pointless
Too many variables
It is mentally impossible to turn up with 100% intensity every week compared to the opposition you play against
The two areas we have to be better at are depth and defensive pressure
When our intensity dropped off in regards to clearances and when the opposition had the ball we were a bottom 6 side
Losing Hewett and Kennedy was massive but good sides cover that with depth
Don’t forget in our last 12 games we only won 4
For what it’s worth I can definitely see bothAdelaide teams GC and a few others improving
So we need to get better to earn a finals spot
My two biggest concerns

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:14 pm 
Geoff Southby

keogh wrote:

I certainly haven’t lost sight of this.

I’m not without optimism for 2023, but I don’t share the popular view that we are on the verge. I reckon a lot of improvement is still needed and that it’s probable we won’t see it as soon as we hope we will.

Anyway, time will tell!

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:45 pm 
Bruce Doull

Been thinking….

fitness and run is what needs to happen for us this year….!

sure injuries are part of fitness…but I’m thinking
on the ground fitness…and running out the games…!

to me it means blokes like Acres…Hollands…Walsh…
O’Brian…and eventually Binns and Cottrell need to be
in and around the edge of the team…!

i don’t see why Walsh…Acres…Hollands and O’Brien
can’t play in the same side at once…imagine that
lot half way through the last quarter still going at it…!

a lot of run…that’s what needs to happen for us
to make the finals this year…!

kindest regards tommi

Last edited by tommi on Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:27 am 
John Nicholls

aboynamedsue wrote:
keogh wrote:

I’m not without optimism for 2023, but I don’t share the popular view that we are on the verge. I reckon a lot of improvement is still needed and that it’s probable we won’t see it as soon as we hope we will.

Anyway, time will tell!

I'm with you. C***wood looked ominous a year or two before they won their last flag, then they dipped slightly, then they broke through with some astute recruiting (in the ruck, in their case). Bitchmond similar, and again with Melbourne....

Last year was a flash in the pan. This year we'll be good in patches, but I suspect on the whole we'll be brought down a peg. IF the club can handle the lessons, the scrutiny and the disappointment (Cook will be all over this) we'll take that next growth in the coming years but we need to keep the team together and time our run with injuries...

Hope I'm wrong, of course, but for mine we're a little underdone (yet).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:33 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

aboynamedsue wrote:
keogh wrote:

Anyway, time will tell!

I'm always keen to hear your position abns.
You don't let yourself get too high, or too low like most of us.
Cautious, pragmatic.... I just hope the improvement with injury, development and game plan come this year, with or without Williams.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 3:31 pm 
Geoff Southby

robertbb wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:
keogh wrote:

Anyway, time will tell!

I'm with you. C***wood looked ominous a year or two before they won their last flag, then they dipped slightly, then they broke through with some astute recruiting (in the ruck, in their case). Bitchmond similar, and again with Melbourne....

Last year was a flash in the pan. This year we'll be good in patches, but I suspect on the whole we'll be brought down a peg. IF the club can handle the lessons, the scrutiny and the disappointment (Cook will be all over this) we'll take that next growth in the coming years but we need to keep the team together and time our run with injuries...

Hope I'm wrong, of course, but for mine we're a little underdone (yet).

I hope you’re wrong too :lol: …..but I’m thinking along similar lines TBH. :yikes:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 3:40 pm 
Geoff Southby

bondiblue wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:
keogh wrote:

Anyway, time will tell!

I'm always keen to hear your position abns.
You don't let yourself get too high, or too low like most of us.
Cautious, pragmatic.... I just hope the improvement with injury, development and game plan come this year, with or without Williams.

Trust me, I’m as impatient for success as anyone! :lol: Obviously I hope the improvement comes this year too, but I’m not convinced or confident that it will.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 3:49 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

It's really simple, we need more goals from our smaller players including mids.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 4:43 pm 
Geoff Southby

kingkerna wrote:

That would help. So would having a healthy list.

And a priority should be getting better at shutting down opposition surges from defence - ie. teams winning the ball in our forward line and opening us up through the corridor - that’s when we look really vulnerable IMO.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:34 pm 
Geoff Southby

kingkerna wrote:

Yep . Harry and Charles is our forward line thats it . At least one more has to step up or its same old same old .

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next