Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:24 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:27 pm 
Craig Bradley

A healthy list saw in paper during the week
Carlton lost 116 games experience last year to injuries Swans 32 and Lions 39

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 1:14 pm 
Craig Bradley

aboynamedsue wrote:
And a priority should be getting better at shutting down opposition surges from defence - i.e. teams winning the ball in our forward line and opening us up through the corridor - that’s when we look really vulnerable IMO.

Completely agree.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:39 am 
Bob Chitty

aboynamedsue wrote:

I’m not without optimism for 2023, but I don’t share the popular view that we are on the verge. I reckon a lot of improvement is still needed and that it’s probable we won’t see it as soon as we hope we will.

Anyway, time will tell!

:thumbsup:

Watching the 2 preseason games confirms this for me.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 12:42 pm 
Craig Bradley

Same tactics/game plan that failed us last season... hope there's something different come round 1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:35 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Todays afl website report asking Larkey what's behind the accurate kicking 12 goals from 12 shots

Quote:
what's behind that? One of the best set shots in the game has to have a routine, surely?

"I always go out in warm-ups and have as many set shots as it takes before I feel like I'm in a bit of a rhythm. When you go out a bit cold, you don't feel like you're hitting them straightaway. The more I practice before the game, I'll get into a state where I know I'm hitting them all the time," Larkey explained.

"When you think about how many you hit in the warm-up, maybe you hit 18 out of 20, the chances are when I get the ball on the ground I'm going to put the ball through. It's a mentality thing. It's a state of mind that I get in before the game and it helps me when I do get my opportunity.

"I feel like I've got a sense of duty to finish off the work, as well. I'm that last link down there. All of the boys have done all of the hard work to get the ball to me. You have to finish it off. I just need more shots, because I feel like I'm going to put them through."

Last year's easy misses for goal by Harry and Charlie continues this year. We missed Finals last year by 0.6% or an easy miss from 35 metres from goal.

Charlie and Harry have to realise that having a set shot routine is imperative for accurate goal kicking, not the adhoc approach our 2 KPs have.

They need to get to work and iron out their routine from a set shot at goal. That's what we expect from KPF's.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 8:54 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Injury likely having a big impact, but good that the club is still getting wins on the board:

Sportsday
@SENSportsday
"They've gone from the fourth most potent scoring side from clearance (last year) to 18th so far."

- Daniel Hoyne with a watch on how Carlton's midfield is going

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 12:04 am 
Harry Vallence

Keep winning

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 2:21 pm 
Rod Ashman

Traveller86 wrote:
Keep winning

This.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 2:24 pm 
Rod Ashman

Effes wrote:
Injury likely having a big impact, but good that the club is still getting wins on the board:

Sportsday
@SENSportsday
"They've gone from the fourth most potent scoring side from clearance (last year) to 18th so far."

- Daniel Hoyne with a watch on how Carlton's midfield is going

This is the area with most obvious opportunity for improvement (followed by goal kicking).
But, I think Walsh will make a huge difference here not only when he gets/has the ball but also where/when he runs and how he influences how the rest of the mids structure and play.
It is really great that we have improved other areas of our game plan but now we need to bring back some of that midfield brutality, whilst maintaining our more solid defence and also continuing to improve our turnover/transition game.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:24 pm 
Harry Vallence

just gone through our fixture, we will be lucky to get three wins before the bye - west coast, suns and druggies. we wont make the 8

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:15 pm 
Ken Hunter

bender wrote:
just gone through our fixture, we will be lucky to get three wins before the bye - west coast, suns and druggies. we wont make the 8

I don't think we will either.
It annoys me that other clubs have gone past us.
We just seem to be going nowhere.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:44 pm 
Harry Vallence

kezza wrote:
bender wrote:

I don't think we will either.
It annoys me that other clubs have gone past us.
We just seem to be going nowhere.

We just seem to be so slow out of the centre. Our backline is holding up well considering the forwards and mids let the ball out so easily. Norf will go past us next year. It isn't the coaching either, it's all in the head

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:43 pm 
Bob Chitty

david31 wrote:
(1) Have a reasonable run with injuries. Last year’s injury list was diabolical. A decimated defence for months followed by a decimated midfield to end the season. Not many teams can deal with consistent injuries in terms of the sheer numbers we had on the injury list and the quality of some of the injured players. Unfortunately not off to the best start on this front already for 2023.

(2) Improved mentality. Basically everything Mick said above. Step on the throat and don’t relent when you’ve got a team on the ropes (eg Hawthorn and Port last year). Step up in high pressures situations eg last 3 mins vs Melbourne and last 15 mins vs Collingwood. Reality is our guys hadn’t played a truly high stakes game for years until the last few rounds of 2022. Hopefully they understand that every moment counts now after the way they finished 2022. Can’t have big lapses in games and games where we don’t play close to our required level eg Adelaide at AO last year.

Update: failing on both counts so far

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:42 am 
Harry Vallence

I was predicting 6 - 7

After last night, I am not so sure

There aren't many good teams so that may save us

Way too reliant on our top 6 - 8 players

Can't continually carry players like Fisher, Honey, Owies, O'brien, Plowman, Ed Curnow etc. With 6 - 8 players constantly not available due to injury, it leaves too much to a few players.

Not winning premierships on that basis.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:57 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Leadership is about what you do, not what you say.
Some of our on-field leaders failed the test at times last night. That will need to change to take the next step.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:29 am 
Harry Vallence

Go back to basics. Free up the players like we did in the first half of 2022.

Play players in their natural position.

As Carlos Sainz told the Ferrari engineers over the radio on the way to his first ever win at Silverstone last year: "Stop inventing".

Oh and....SELECTION. INTEGRITY.

!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:02 pm 
Adrian Gallagher

Watching games played today we need a massive change in game plans we move the ball slower than another team there’s no way we will play finals this year and beyond to we get some speed into this side in ball movement and general leg speed
On our coaches looks like the only team besides Gold Coast that hasn’t actually adopted to change in the way games are getting played and I think Voss is not the right coach for us same as most of a coaches in the past

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2023 1:32 pm 
Bert Deacon

Blue Vain wrote:
Leadership is about what you do, not what you say.
Some of our on-field leaders failed the test at times last night. That will need to change to take the next step.

Do you mean if we get rid of Plowman we could still lose?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:32 am 
Stephen Kernahan

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/04/17/ ... -carltons/

Carlton’s biggest strength from 2022 has turned into an enormous weakness this season.

They have fallen from one of the best teams in the competition at scoring from stoppages to one of the worst, a swing that David King is worried about.

The Blues played Patrick Cripps, George Hewett, Sam Walsh, Ed Curnow, Matthew Kennedy and Adam Cerra together on-ball, the first time that group has taken the field together.

King believes the on-ball unit may be too big and slow, if they’re not dominating at the source.

“They’re having to play left-handed,” King told SEN’s Whateley.

“They’re having to find other ways to win that they’re actually not very good at.

“Credit to the opposition they’ve played, but the bottom line is the big bulls at Carlton haven’t been tough enough, haven’t been clean enough on the inside, haven’t been violent enough to get themselves out of those traffic situations, they cough up the ball, they fumble handballs, and the opposition clearly have more speed on the edges because Carlton goes with the big bulls.

“As soon as the big bulls aren’t playing like big bulls, they just become slow midfielders and vulnerable from step one.

“The gap between Jordan Dawson getting off Cripps is immediate. Hewett had a poor night.”

King broke down how the Blues have swung statistically from one of the best teams at scoring from stoppages to one of the worst.

“A couple of mids had a poor night, but I can’t believe the stoppage game. The stoppage game last year was an absolute weapon for them. They were the second best across the season, at +9 points per game,” he added.

“First 10 weeks of last year they were unbelievable. It was probably closer to 2.5 goals per game. That’s a big advantage – and the territory it gives you saves every other part of your game.

“This year, they’re averaging two less clearances than their opponent week on week, which exposes all the other areas of the game they’re not great at, and they’re 17th at score from clearance differential at -8 points.

“So what was a strength last year is second poorest in the competition right now. They’ve got a lot of work to do and it’s going to come back to the Brownlow Medallist, Patrick Cripps, he might need to go in as a clearance and contested winning midfielder which is not ideally what you want, but the other players are not doing it.

“I said this last year, it’s a tough way to win games of footy. To consistently bludgeon other teams to death, but they have to get back to it quickly because let’s be honest, that’s they’ve all they’ve got.

“The two big boys forward of centre just need supply. The kicking to them was really poor on the weekend. High ball after high ball. They’ve got to be better than that.

“They lack skill in the midfield at the minute and they lack the beast mode from last year. Let’s see if they can turn it around.”

Carlton takes on St Kilda at Marvel Stadium on Sunday afternoon in what looms as a huge test of where both teams are at.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:07 am 
John Nicholls

Agree with his assessment, blind freddy sees it.

But what about this chestnut:

"Patrick Cripps, he might need to go in as a clearance and contested winning midfielder which is not ideally what you want"

What the eff else do you want from him? He is the extractor. It's why we recruited him.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next