Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:11 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Barassi's Blues
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:55 am 
Bruce Comben

Hello ardent Bluebaggers,

This is a post to get the message out there amongst the more passionate element of Carlton supporters that a new book has been released called Barassi's Blues.

The book is largely about photographs - it includes all up over 170 photos in the book about Barassi's first premiership as a Blue.

If you have any questions or would like to know more about the book, let me know. I will post a bit later some pics here so you can get a better idea of what is included.

Anyway, more is to follow.

Actually, I was just thinking that the book isn't really "new"...as it was released in late September, but I am hoping people might consider it for a Christmas present or two.

Cheers- Miles W

By the way - to give you a bit of background on me, I first put together an article on the 1970 preliminary final WAY back in 2001, then I had articles in the old magazine Inside Carlton - one article was on Bernie Evans and how he was denied a chance to play in the 1987 GF due to a dubious umpiring decision, one was on Wayne Harmes, Brian Kekovich etc.

Post subject: Re: Barassi's Blues
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:57 am 
Bruce Comben

Here is a link to a radio interview and an article on the book.

https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=1048697

https://footyology.com.au/brent-crosswe ... sis-blues/

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:19 am 
Bruce Comben

Attached is a photo of the great Garry Crane with the book.

Are there any Carlton supporters here who would know what he was selected for the Victorian team? He made the state squad just once.

I am guessing there are some here that might have a few memories of seeing Garry Crane as a player.

Talking about wingers, I noticed that our wings were rated #16th in the comp on that Fox Footy draft show the other night. When Garry was playing alongside Quirk & Robertson as fellow wingers we had arguably the best wings in the comp. I might be biased but in 1968 I had them as number 1. Some might have justifiably had Clay and Bourke at number 1....but in the finals of 1968 at least we had the best wingers.

Attachments:
Gary C with the book 1.pdf [230.21 KiB]
Downloaded 115 times

Last edited by Miles W on Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:30 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:20 am 
Rod Ashman

Hey Miles W,
Welcome to TC!
You are in for a great ride.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:29 am 
Bruce Comben

CFC8795 wrote:
Hey Miles W,
Welcome to TC!

Thanks CFC8795!

I hope to work out how to post photos without them being attachments.

I'm a bit of a doofus but don't tell anyone.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:50 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Miles W wrote:
CFC8795 wrote:
Hey Miles W,
Welcome to TC!

Thanks CFC8795!

If they are online images you can put the link URL between a pair of [img] thingos

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:54 am 
Bruce Comben

jezzarules wrote:
Miles W wrote:
CFC8795 wrote:
Hey Miles W,
Welcome to TC!

Thanks CFC8795!

If they are online images you can put the link URL between a pair of [img] thingos

Ok, thank you.

Will get back onto this arvo.

Cheers- Miles

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:00 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Miles W wrote:
jezzarules wrote:
Miles W wrote:
CFC8795 wrote:
Hey Miles W,
Welcome to TC!

Thanks CFC8795!

Ok, thank you.

Will get back onto this arvo.

Cheers- Miles

Note the second thingo would have a slash like [/img]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:19 pm 
Geoff Southby

Miles W wrote:

Are there any Carlton supporters here who would know what he was selected for the Victorian team? He made the state squad just once.

I am guessing there are some here that might have a few memories of seeing Garry Crane as a player.

Talking about wingers, I noticed that our wings were rated #16th in the comp on that Fox Footy draft show the other night. When Garry was playing alongside Quirk & Robertson as fellow wingers we had arguably the best wings in the comp. I might be biased but in 1968 I had them as number 1. Some might have justifiably had Clay and Bourke at number 1....but in the finals of 1968 at least we had the best wingers.

Miles'y . Welcome . At last , someone who agrees with me . Bourke , Barrot , and Clay were widely regarded at that time as the greatest centrelines of all time . And , make no mistake they were fantastic . But at that time we had Brian Quirk , Ian Robertson , and the legendary Gary Crane . Our boys played on the fabulous Richmond trio many times and more than held there own . Always a great contest with no quarter given or no quarter taken . It was ferocious . OK , the Tiger trio were famous at the time but i won't say our trio were better but i can tell you our boys more than matched them and came out on top more often than not .............. Trust me folks , Brian Quirk , Ian Robertson , and Gary Crane were GREAT , GREAT , players . Great Carlton legends who are right up with the best for mine .

Fantastic to have you on board Miles'y .

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:51 pm 
Bruce Comben

Mickstar wrote:
Miles W wrote:

Miles'y . Welcome . At last , someone who agrees with me . Bourke , Barrot , and Clay were widely regarded at that time as the greatest centrelines of all time . And , make no mistake they were fantastic . But at that time we had Brian Quirk , Ian Robertson , and the legendary Gary Crane . Our boys played on the fabulous Richmond trio many times and more than held there own . Always a great contest with no quarter given or no quarter taken . It was ferocious . OK , the Tiger trio were famous at the time but i won't say our trio were better but i can tell you our boys more than matched them and came out on top more often than not .............. Trust me folks , Brian Quirk , Ian Robertson , and Gary Crane were GREAT , GREAT , players . Great Carlton legends who are right up with the best for mine .

Thanks Mickstar and that is well put. I agree with you.

The media in those days always talked down Gary Crane, "Oh, he's not going to be able to compete in the air against the six footers" etc... but Crane was such a competitive machine that he just made the media look foolish.

In a way, premierships are often won by teams that display a lot of internal improvement from "fringe players" or players who didn't play many games in the previous season. Crane had played plenty of footy in '66 but he was on the outer in '67.

Crane was a perfect example of that improvement if you compare his '67 season to his '68 season. He went from four games in '67 to 18 games in '68 - many of them he was best on ground, so I start thinking of today's team - who can we see the most improvement from?

It is exciting to think about it. Is it Zac Williams - only 9 games in 2022 (due to injury) - where is his best spot? ..Or Brodie Kemp...only 4 games.

I want to see those guys or someone else who didn't play much in 2022 force their way into the team.
Jack Carroll was one I was impressed with (5 games) but it might be too much to ask of such a young player to get a permanent spot in the team, but who knows. He has to make the most of every opportunity.

1987 is one of my favourite flag teams - they had
Gleeson '86 - only 3 games
Gleeson '87 - 23 games

Someone has to do something like that in 2023.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:05 pm 
Geoff Southby

Yep , spot on Miles'y . Someone has got to come from the clouds ..................it always happens . The least expected player . The two boys i have high hopes for are Kemp and Carroll . But who knows , its always someone you least expect .................................The obvious one in 1970 was Teddy Hopkins . But i will give you another one . Barry Mulcair . Yep , Barry Mulcair . Come down from Bendigo he did .Was not a regular and on the fringes . Anyhow , he came late in the season and nailed his spot on the HBF at the right time and proved to be a rock when it counted . He was one of those tough hard no frills sort of player that i love . Anyhow , in the 71 season he sorta lost interest and went up the Calder back to Bendigo . Things like that happened in those days . Stephen Oliver was a phenomenal talent yet love nor money would settle him . Shame , coz IMHO would have been an all-time great .

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:15 pm 
Geoff Southby

Mickstar wrote:
Miles W wrote:

Been saying the same thing about our boys for decades. Our centreline of Quirk, Robertson and Crane were the only one who could match it with the tiges.

The good looking Brian Quirk was one of the first footy TV stars when he appeared in an ad for something I have forgotten with the immortal line.

"and they're good for you" in a totally nondescript voice.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:16 pm 
Geoff Southby

Teddy Hopkins wrote:
Mickstar wrote:
Miles W wrote:

Been saying the same thing about our boys for decades. Our centreline of Quirk, Robertson and Crane were the only one who could match it with the tiges.

The good looking Brian Quirk was one of the first footy TV stars when he appeared in an ad for something I have forgotten with the immortal line.

Shit Teddy , were you around in those days too ? i know the Ad you are talking about but i haven't a clue what it was about other than it was woeful . And yes , Quirky was a pretty boy for sure but was a very tough fearless player . Also scrupulously fair without one ounce of malice . Although being slight and lean he was incredibly strong in the contest . Did he ever get beat in a one on one marking contest ? fantastic overhead ................would you believe Brians son played down here in the local comp for Hastings . Couldn't help myself , always ambled up to Brian for a chat about the Blues . What a delightful bloke . A modest humble champion . Great fella .

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:21 pm 
Bruce Comben

Mickstar wrote:
Yep , spot on Miles'y . Someone has got to come from the clouds ..................it always happens . The least expected player . The two boys i have high hopes for are Kemp and Carroll . But who knows , its always someone you least expect .................................The obvious one in 1970 was Teddy Hopkins . But i will give you another one . Barry Mulcair . Yep , Barry Mulcair . Come down from Bendigo he did .Was not a regular and on the fringes . Anyhow , he came late in the season and nailed his spot on the HBF at the right time and proved to be a rock when it counted . He was one of those tough hard no frills sort of player that i love . Anyhow , in the 71 season he sorta lost interest and went up the Calder back to Bendigo . Things like that happened in those days . Stephen Oliver was a phenomenal talent yet love nor money would settle him . Shame , coz IMHO would have been an all-time great .

Yes, that's a good one with Barry Mulcair. He fulfilled a role, didn't he. Stephen Oliver ...the only thing that pops into my memory with him was that mark he took. There are probably photos of it in the Blueseum. He was great in the air.

Brad Pearce was another.
94 - 2 games
95....well, he was a revelation..goals, goals and more goals.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:29 pm 
Bruce Comben

Teddy Hopkins wrote:
Mickstar wrote:
Miles W wrote:

Quirk- yes, gotta agree. He was a great, attacking player. I am not familiar with the advert though. Maybe I can find out what the ad was about.

It was difficult to find many photos of Bryan in the archives, so he kindly donated some of his own photos for the book. There is a great one of him being surrounded by fans after a Sunday morning training session.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:24 am 
Geoff Southby

Mickstar wrote:
Teddy Hopkins wrote:
Mickstar wrote:
Miles W wrote:

Shit Teddy , were you around in those days too ? i know the Ad you are talking about but i haven't a clue what it was about other than it was woeful . And yes , Quirky was a pretty boy for sure but was a very tough fearless player . Also scrupulously fair without one ounce of malice . Although being slight and lean he was incredibly strong in the contest . Did he ever get beat in a one on one marking contest ? fantastic overhead ................would you believe Brians son played down here in the local comp for Hastings . Couldn't help myself , always ambled up to Brian for a chat about the Blues . What a delightful bloke . A modest humble champion . Great fella .

Yep, I was around. My favourites back in those days were rhe Gill brothers. Have no idea why.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:28 am 
Bruce Comben

Teddy Hopkins wrote:
Mickstar wrote:
Teddy Hopkins wrote:
Mickstar wrote:
Miles W wrote:

Yep, I was around. My favourites back in those days were rhe Gill brothers. Have no idea why.

You might be pleased to know that both Barry Gill and John Gill contributed to the book in a large way - so their photos are within it and the last photo utilised in the book is Barry Gill, his wife and Peter Smith and his wife holding the premiership cup.

Barry was great in both the '68 and '70 second semis. He went straight at it- 100 m/p/h.
You've probably seen this a few times as it is on YouTube, but I thought he was great in the 3rd quarter of the '70 second semi in particular.

Btw - I tried to upload a photo from the book of Barry Gill.... but maximum size allowed is 256KiB. Will have to wait until Camel? or someone else/site administrator gets back to me.

Post subject: Barassi's Blues
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:02 am 
Wayne Johnston

Ross Ditchburn is a guy who comes to mind for me who pushed his way into the team at just the right time. Loved watching him kick all those goals.

I never saw Oliver but I saw Warren Ralph play, another coodabeen.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:37 pm 
Bruce Comben

sinbagger wrote:
Ross Ditchburn is a guy who comes to mind for me who pushed his way into the team at just the right time. Loved watching him kick all those goals.

I never saw Oliver but I saw Warren Ralph play, another coodabeen.

Yes, that is a good example with Ditchburn. He mainly played the 2nd half of that 1982 season, didn't he.
12 against the Saints. They have footage of some of them here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_CKgIErxPE

We need a player who will really step up next year & will need to improve a lot....It could be one of the new recruits, a fringe player or it could be an established player?.... I would like to think it is a fringe player who will step up.

One I often think about is O'Brien. He wasn't a "fringe player" as he played 19 games, but can he improve? Some of his kicks into the forward line were first class & weighted perfectly, but does he get the ball enough to really be damaging? He will have to fight for his spot.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:45 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Welcome to TC Miles.

Bloody fantastic book.
What a fabulous xmas present for Bluebagger fans....I'm a fan.

Full of memories and great pics I'd never seen before.

Just ready Mickstar, Teddy, sinners responses with memories has my brain ticking over.

My first ever footy game was 1968 GF...you have rekindled memories. I will post later.

Cheers, and Bluebaggers, do yourself a favour and put this one in the pool room ...my pool room has ... a pool in it. Need a shelf or two.