Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:11 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2764 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 139  Next
 Post subject: Re: List Management 2023
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:22 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

kezza wrote:
Not sure how reliable this poster is but this is from BF.
A staff member from an accounting firm moved to Carlton to help Austin out with player contracts.
Says everything was a complete mess payment wise with no structure for future planning put in place.
New TDK deal is being delayed while they work out what to do next with Martin/McGovern contracts.
Club wants TDK to stay and he wants to stay.

Not sure what to make of this and I certainly hope Austin has not made a mess of things.

I suspect there's a fair bit of mayo on that rumour Kezza. I don't doubt they've obtained extra financial expertise but I have faith in Austin.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:27 pm 
Harry Vallence

kezza wrote:
A staff member from an accounting firm moved to Carlton to help Austin out with player contracts.
Says everything was a complete mess payment wise with no structure for future planning put in place.
New TDK deal is being delayed while they work out what to do next with Martin/McGovern contracts.

Not sure what to make of this and I certainly hope Austin has not made a mess of things.

That’s no secret, that the salary cap is a mess. Austin had no experience with payments previously, and only a relatively short amount of time in recruitment before being handed the role of Head of List Management by Liddle because of their pre-existing relationship at Richmond.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:33 pm 
Bruce Doull

Goodness me….

they need an Asian lady from a bakery running
the money in there…!

they’re the best…nothing gets by them…!

kindest regards tommi

Post subject: List Management 2023
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:08 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Cash only!

Nek plee!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:12 pm 
Bruce Doull

YOU buy two….!

loudest regards tommi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:54 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Crusader wrote:
kezza wrote:

I’d be amazed if there was space in the footy budget for forensic accountants.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:06 am 
Wayne Johnston

Why would there be any doubt about what to do with Martin and McGoverns next contracts?

Offer them both one year on minimum pay to see if they can add any value, or even get in the park.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:40 am 
Geoff Southby

sinbagger wrote:
Why would there be any doubt about what to do with Martin and McGoverns next contracts?

Offer them both one year on minimum pay to see if they can add any value, or even get in the park.

I was thinking more along the lines of trading them out and get what we can get.

Adding another Lachie to the list might be a good idea, Ash is yet to sign at GWS and the boys could have a good chat with him on Saturday.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:56 am 
Craig Bradley

ColourMan wrote:
kezza wrote:

That’s no secret, that the salary cap is a mess. Austin had no experience with payments previously, and only a relatively short amount of time in recruitment before being handed the role of Head of List Management by Liddle because of their pre-existing relationship at Richmond.

:lol: :lol:

Turn it up.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:10 am 
Bruce Doull

HE SAIIIIIID….!

kindest regards tommi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:15 am 
Stephen Kernahan

ColourMan wrote:

Ok...despite the potential jobs for mates and/or nepotism regarding his hire (it's Carlton and therefore comes with the territory), it's really not that hard and it definitely isn't the most difficult part of his job. You have a set budget and you make it fit. If you have any questions, you have one of the most experienced sports CEOs in the country to call upon and a very experienced Head of Football who is also an experienced list manager. There are also numerous board members who are extremely experienced financial professionals. Who knows if legit, but I'm not overly concerned.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:16 am 
Bert Deacon

kezza wrote:

With two uber-professionals (Sayers and Cook) in charge?

Methinks this is a giant porky.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:18 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Crusader wrote:
ColourMan wrote:
kezza wrote:

:lol: :lol:

Turn it up.

Its hard to believe and with Cookie running the show, cant see a problem.

A simple Excel spreadsheet factoring salary, bonus, game time......I mean we do it on our own spreadsheets, and Austin is dealing with facts.

I mean, how hard could it be? Austin is an educated man, and has proven to be a good operator at Dogs Tigers and a man in demand hence Carlton got him. He would have seen a spreadsheet or two with a 5 years outlook at the very least.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:38 pm 
Craig Bradley

Was the poster Cliff from Clematis???

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:54 pm 
John Nicholls

Close, it was Biff from Back to the Future

Who, as he aged, bore a striking resemblance......

Last edited by robertbb on Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:56 pm 
Ken Hunter

I know I shouldn't read BF but I will post this anyway.
It came from another BF board re TDK;
Expect announcement soon around 2 year deal. He wants to stay.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:05 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

kezza wrote:
I know I shouldn't read BF but I will post this anyway.
It came from another BF board re TDK;
Expect announcement soon around 2 year deal. He wants to stay.

Good Onya kezza
I hope your team wins tomorrow and TDK signs soon. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:24 pm 
Harry Vallence

DocSherrin III wrote:
ColourMan wrote:

Ok...despite the potential jobs for mates and/or nepotism regarding his hire (it's Carlton and therefore comes with the territory), it's really not that hard and it definitely isn't the most difficult part of his job. You have a set budget and you make it fit. If you have any questions, you have one of the most experienced sports CEOs in the country to call upon and a very experienced Head of Football who is also an experienced list manager. There are also numerous board members who are extremely experienced financial professionals. Who knows if legit, but I'm not overly concerned.

Unfortunately, they’re not the only areas of incompetence.

There’s little forward planning…

One of the reasons last season was derailed because of the lack of viable ruckman (after Pittonet’s injury) on the list; HOK who isn’t anywhere near ready if required as he’s a youngster, was only added after the LTI to Philp. And the volleyballer may never be ready…

We had a crack at Grundy at the death, it would have required major gymnastics with the list/salary cap to make it happen….

After drafting Hollands & Cowan (who both look very good), we drafted Binns, a runner who is a very average user of the ball, yet we have the Campo’s twins available next year.

We’ve had no viable backup for our tall forwards either…

Handing out excessive contracts (payment/length wise) doesn’t help either…

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:27 am 
Rod Ashman

If they can mostly stay on the park it helps a fair bit. If the goal is to win Premierships.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:25 am 
Stephen Kernahan

ColourMan wrote:
DocSherrin III wrote:
ColourMan wrote:

Unfortunately, they’re not the only areas of incompetence.

There’s little forward planning…

One of the reasons last season was derailed because of the lack of viable ruckman (after Pittonet’s injury) on the list; HOK who isn’t anywhere near ready if required as he’s a youngster, was only added after the LTI to Philp. And the volleyballer may never be ready…

We had a crack at Grundy at the death, it would have required major gymnastics with the list/salary cap to make it happen….

After drafting Hollands & Cowan (who both look very good), we drafted Binns, a runner who is a very average user of the ball, yet we have the Campo’s twins available next year.

We’ve had no viable backup for our tall forwards either…

Handing out excessive contracts (payment/length wise) doesn’t help either…

So Austin has had 2 National Drafts to restructure a list that had tall forward luminaries like Ben Silvagni and Finbar O'Dwyer as our back ups. We have Pittonet, TDK and 2 developing rucks. That's the perfect balance IMHO. HOK looks good and "the Volleyballer" is worth the punt.

IMO, our list is significantly better than it was when SOS was removed 2 years ago which is the measure on how Austin should judged.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2764 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 139  Next