Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:13 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2764 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 139  Next
 Post subject: Re: List Management 2023
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:45 am 
Geoff Southby

P S and know way known Weitering for the reasons Cazz has stated . Far far too good . He's a Pillar back there .

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:04 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Rod Spooky Galt wrote:
You're assuming though that McGovern's contract off the books hasn't already been factored into Charlie and H's deals.

True and as I said it was quite simplistic what I wrote as I do have quite a simple mind.
Still reckon if we weren't far off, Zac W would be open to restructuring his contract.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:09 am 
Harry Vallence

Conversation to be had at mid-season.

Worst case scenario: If we're 7-4 or above, TDK's in All Australian form and Pitto is injured not playing, I'm moving chess pieces around to accommodate. $4.8-5 over 6 is probably the best that can be done even with the boldest of moves. It's probably a mill short of the competition.

I'd probably make similar offers to Rowan Marshall (5 years) and Sean Darcy and largely expect that neither would be accepted. Otherwise, maybe a speculative punt on Matt Flynn from GWS.

I'm still not outright knocking back the prospect of a top 3 pick for Weitering and using that money to improve the TDK offer though. If Weiters has the CHB AA jacket locked up by that same point, maybe not.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:49 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Rod Spooky Galt wrote:

Worst case scenario: If we're 7-4 or above, TDK's in All Australian form and Pitto is injured not playing, I'm moving chess pieces around to accommodate. $4.8-5 over 6 is probably the best that can be done even with the boldest of moves. It's probably a mill short of the competition.

$800,000 a year until age 30 seems about right if the output is there.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:09 am 
Harry Vallence

Other factors to consider are:
- to what extent the TPP is going to be increased over that time? What will the implications of a joint AFL-AFLW memorandum be on that?
- will Tassie be the 19th club in that time frame, or will they relocate an existing?
- will Tassie get the same draft concessions that GWS/GC got?
- will Norf, GWS, Saints get priority picks coming up?

I'd rather be competing for ruckmen in a market with known knowns - 18 teams, no compromised drafts ahead. 19 teams and Tassie having 20 first round picks makes me think we wander into Shane Mumford's fifth comeback territory.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:32 am 
Craig Bradley

DocSherrin III wrote:
Rod Spooky Galt wrote:

$800,000 a year until age 30 seems about right if the output is there.

What’s the measure of success then?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:15 am 
Harry Vallence

If you compare the output to Rory Lobb (on similar money), there's not that much difference already, despite 100 games difference.

Lobb hits the scoreboard more (to be expected given Fremantle's non-existent forward line vs. two Coleman medalists), his rate of hitout contests won is slightly higher, and he gets more possessions around the ground.

Lobb's 2018 season stats are pretty much what TDK's were last season, with most being in TDK's favour.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:32 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Crusader wrote:

Given it's the AFL we're talking about, the measures are likely to be antediluvian. Some of it has to be adhering to the instructions of the coaches and success measured in terms of effectiveness in ruck contests (centre square / forward half / defensive) vs opponent (expectation to beat). Time spent in forward half (running patterns / marking % / SoG / interference) and all the permutations that go around that. And then there's things only known to the inner sanctum. Has his football IQ improved? Does he want to be elite? What steps has he taken to improve?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:34 pm 
Craig Bradley

DocSherrin III wrote:
Crusader wrote:

Given it's the AFL we're talking about, the measures are likely to be antediluvian. Some of it has to be adhering to the instructions of the coaches and success measured in terms of effectiveness in ruck contests (centre square / forward half / defensive) vs opponent (expectation to beat). Time spent in forward half (running patterns / marking % / SoG / interference) and all the permutations that go around that. And then there's things only known to the inner sanctum. Has his football IQ improved? Does he want to be elite? What steps has he taken to improve?

$800k is position-dominant money, if not match winner money.

$800k is not trying real hard money.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:48 pm 
Craig Bradley

Rod Spooky Galt wrote:
If you compare the output to Rory Lobb (on similar money), there's not that much difference already, despite 100 games difference.

Lobb hits the scoreboard more (to be expected given Fremantle's non-existent forward line vs. two Coleman medalists), his rate of hitout contests won is slightly higher, and he gets more possessions around the ground.

Lobb's 2018 season stats are pretty much what TDK's were last season, with most being in TDK's favour.

Pay him what Lobb was worth in 2018 then?

GWS traded him out for the equivalent of pick 40.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:55 pm 
Harry Vallence

The comparison to Lobb in 2018 was to demonstrate his career trajectory is similar to what Lobb's was, and is arguably out performing him at the same age, and not that far behind despite 100 less games now.

GWS also traded him out due to huge salary cap issues and Lobb wanting to go home.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 1:35 pm 
Craig Bradley

Rod Spooky Galt wrote:
The comparison to Lobb in 2018 was to demonstrate his career trajectory is similar to what Lobb's was, and is arguably out performing him at the same age, and not that far behind despite 100 less games now.

GWS also traded him out due to huge salary cap issues and Lobb wanting to go home.

https://www.wheeloratings.com/afl_player_profile.html?ID=2da294

I’m not saying it’s a poor comparison. Notwithstanding the different roles, it’s near-enough.

It’s a question of worth. Ralphy wouldn’t have a clue what his contract at the Dogs is, but he’s gone with 3yr, $1.5m. A far cry from the $800k being touted as Tom’s worth here.

I couldn’t in good conscience offer him a zak over $400k per year, on a two year extension. I’d be VERY confident that I could replace him for that price.

He might take that offer as an insult, but he has to earn the increase. I could offer terms that give him the option to renegotiate length and money, but they’d be top5 BnF type of metrics.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 4:49 pm 
Harry Vallence

I think its fair to say that on exposed evidence of TDKs output and impact so far, he isn't "worth" $800K per year. His "potential" might put him in that bracket, but not sure we have that luxury to just go on "potential." I'd suggest wait until mid season and re-assess where he is at and how he has performed at that point. If he is fair dinkum about wanting to be at Carlton, he should be willing to accept a lesser offer to re-sign. They can always include performance bonuses or similar to make it more attractive. Maybe even throw in a modest $$ amount for the first two years say and backend the deal on a higher amount. Regardless, I think we have plenty of options, but none of them should even remotely include trading off Weitering as someone suggested!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:42 pm 
Harry Vallence

BluesRockMyWorld wrote:
I think its fair to say that on exposed evidence of TDKs output and impact so far, he isn't "worth" $800K per year. His "potential" might put him in that bracket, but not sure we have that luxury to just go on "potential." I'd suggest wait until mid season and re-assess where he is at and how he has performed at that point. If he is fair dinkum about wanting to be at Carlton, he should be willing to accept a lesser offer to re-sign. They can always include performance bonuses or similar to make it more attractive. Maybe even throw in a modest $$ amount for the first two years say and backend the deal on a higher amount. Regardless, I think we have plenty of options, but none of them should even remotely include trading off Weitering as someone suggested!!!!!

Let's just cheat the cap.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:48 pm 
Craig Bradley

My predictions for this year’s re-signings:

Forwards:
- [ :thumbsup: ] Kemp - 2yr
- [ ] Silvagni - 3yr
- [ :donk: ] Akuei - delist… one more year remaining as a Cat B.
- [ :thumbsup: ] Motlop - 3yr… close enough

Defenders:
- [ ] S.Durdin - 2yr
- [ :thumbsup: ] Young - 3yr
- [ ] Marchbank - delist
- [ ] Plowman - 1yr
- [ :thumbsup: ] McGovern - 2yr
- [ :thumbsup: ] Docherty - 2yr
- [ :thumbsup: ] Newman - 1yr… good for him getting 2yr.

Rucks:
- [ :thumbsup: ] Pittonet - 2yr… close enough :fight:
- [ :| ] De Koning - trade (15-25)… opportunity missed imo, but at least we’re winning.

Mids:
- [ ] Dow - delist/trade (50-60)
- [ ] Honey - delist/trade (50-60)
- [ ] Philp - delist
- [ ] Fogarty - delist
- [ ] E.Curnow - retire
- [ ] Cuningham - delist

I’ve mentioned elsewhere that I think our List Management is, for the most part, on tram tracks. That being the case, it won’t be a massive achievement to nail 15-16 of these.

The intercept/3rd tall defender and ruck positions are the only areas that would be up in the air.

Last edited by Crusader on Thu Aug 24, 2023 12:36 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:55 pm 
Ken Hunter

Just announced that Young has re-signed until the end of 2026.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:07 pm 
Rod Ashman

kezza wrote:
Just announced that Young has re-signed until the end of 2026.

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:12 am 
Geoff Southby

Another ridiculous deal
Young 3 years ( 4 year deal if you include this year)
Doesn’t take the game on
Ordinary kick
Some soft efforts one on one
But that’s Carlton
As for TDK
Big guys take time
But to me he isn’t a ruckman
Lacks the physicality
Not enough intensity
So KP
Comparisons to Lobbe are fair
Lobbe has definitely improved his forward craft but a soft player with an over rated oversized pay packet

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:47 am 
Robert Walls

keogh wrote:
Another ridiculous deal
Young 3 years ( 4 year deal if you include this year)
Doesn’t take the game on
Ordinary kick
Some soft efforts one on one
But that’s Carlton
As for TDK
Big guys take time
But to me he isn’t a ruckman
Lacks the physicality
Not enough intensity
So KP
Comparisons to Lobbe are fair
Lobbe has definitely improved his forward craft but a soft player with an over rated oversized pay packet

given his position I’m ok with 3 for young.

Considering the facts, a direct comparison with Darcy Moore shows similar stat averages, one area he could improve is metres gained (50m less)

Than you compare him to the wider AFL defensive field
1) above average for disposals, intercept possessions, intercept marks and one on ones
2) elite for spoils
3) average for metres gained

Contract term is a commercial discussion based on relative market demand.

However, his numbers to date validate what I experience to be a capable afl defender that has upside.

Note: did an admiral job when JW went down last year

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:56 am 
Geoff Southby

Stats can be used to support your argument
I’ve used them
He simply doesn’t deserve to stay at the club for 4 years
Wait to see what he offers this year
Granted there arnt too many blokes his size but to
Me it’s another example of the club giving contracts to players who don’t deserve that extension
A premiership team needs all defenders who can rebound and move the ball forward
Attack
He has shown zero in that department

Last edited by keogh on Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2764 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 139  Next