Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:28 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2764 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 139  Next
 Post subject: List Management 2023
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:04 am 
Stephen Kernahan

I think Lake and Jolly are too old.

Get Papley.

:lol:

Post subject: Re: List Management 2023
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:15 am 
Geoff Southby

robertbb wrote:
Agree now is the time to trade our picks and bring in the pieces.

We need a Brian Lake type a-la Hawks in 2013

We need a Darren Jolly type a-la C**wood 2010

And we need a Tom Papley type.

100%

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:23 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Sidefx wrote:
robertbb wrote:

100%

100% x 2

Its time.
The time is now!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:33 pm 
Rod Ashman

Which area of the ground do we need more coverage? Are you saying we need a key back, ruckman and small forward?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:45 pm 
Harry Vallence

robertbb wrote:

I wanted Goldstein last year for the reason. Now we have TDK Pittonet Mirkov & O'Keefe I can't see it happening unless TDK goes. Not enough spots

Papley would be perfect

I still think we will keep improving through the draft (not rebuilding) and try and some mature role players like Acres

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:46 pm 
Harry Vallence

carntheblues wrote:
Which area of the ground do we need more coverage? Are you saying we need a key back, ruckman and small forward?

IMO definitely need a key back. Ruck we are fine and a "quality" small forward would be great. I'd like to see us add some more speed through the midfield and off HB

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:51 pm 
Geoff Southby

carntheblues wrote:

Starting from the back.
I think we need another big bodied defender, that already has a lot of experience in both playing and leadership to compliment Weitering.
I like Young but if at the end of the year he doesn't step it up and become more damaging we may need to look at other options.
Another big bodied ruck would be great, one who can play would be even better.
If TDK leaves it's a no brainer, but even if he stays I've never been a fan of developing rucks....we should be stealing them.
Our smalls are ok, but if you had access to a Papley or Greene.....
I would really like to add more depth to the mids still, speed, size and experience both inside and out.
I'd address the midfield first as injuries in there are our biggest weakness and can cause the most problems around the ground.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:36 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Sidefx wrote:
carntheblues wrote:

Starting from the back.
I think we need another big bodied defender, that already has a lot of experience in both playing and leadership to compliment Weitering.
I like Young but if at the end of the year he doesn't step it up and become more damaging we may need to look at other options.
If TDK leaves it's a no brainer, but even if he stays I've never been a fan of developing rucks....we should be stealing them.
I would really like to add more depth to the mids still, speed, size and experience both inside and out.
I'd address the midfield first as injuries in there are our biggest weakness and can cause the most problems around the ground.

Young has played 2 really good games as KPD in a row. Keeper. I'd be happy if he plays as he has been for the remainder of the year.
But yeah, if he goes downhill, find a replacement.

I think we start by adding a bonafide dangerous goal kicking HF.
Honey is developing. Martin is busted most of the time, and Fisher is a depth player imo. Cunners? who knows?
We need a HF to stand up and be counted in a Finals campaign.

A big bodied KPD, not Sam Durdin, unless he improves to free up either Weitering or Young as the intercept mark.
That way we don't have to rely on the brittle Marchbank or McGovern. Kemp and Plowman aint no intercept marks.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:53 pm 
Harry Vallence

Need to get rid of injury prone players. These days you just can't carry many of them

Marchbank Cunningham Philp Martin McGovern Fogarty maybe Kemp have this year to prove themselves or out. Williams the same but because of contract he stays

Unless we see big improvement Honey Dow will be gone as well. I expect Ed Curnow to retire

Last edited by FarmerBlue on Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:59 pm 
Geoff Southby

bondiblue wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
carntheblues wrote:

Starting from the back.

Young has played 2 really good games as KPD in a row. Keeper. I'd be happy if he plays as he has been for the remainder of the year.

Honey is developing. Martin is busted most of the time, and Fisher is a depth player imo. Cunners? who knows?

A big bodied KPD, not Sam Durdin, unless he improves to free up either Weitering or Young as the intercept mark.
That way we don't have to rely on the brittle Marchbank or McGovern. Kemp and Plowman aint no intercept marks.

What about a goal kicking mid that can rest forward or another big bodied inside mid that can let Crippa rest forward.
Like what C***Wood did with Adams on the weekend.
Have a look at their goal spread, that's what we need to stop the blind bombing into F50. Goal kicking mids.
I'd like to see what LOB looks like sitting at HF, he has to be better than Fisher and is more reliable to be on the ground than Martin.
And he can kick a goal as well as run all the way to D50 so the smalls can stay further up the ground.
Failing that I'd like to see Honey have a crack over Fisher ATM also.
Either way, we are a little light in that area.

I agree on the KPD's, no depth too many injuries and Plow and Kemp aren't the answer long term.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:03 pm 
Geoff Southby

FarmerBlue wrote:
Need to get rid of injury prone players. These days you just can't carry many of them

Marchbank Cunningham Philp Martin McGovern Fogarty maybe Kemp have this year to prove themselves or out. Williams the same but because of contract he stays

Unless we see big improvement Honey Dow will be gone as well. I expect Ed Curnow ot retire

We got them when we needed the big names and if they came good, excellent.
Safe to say it hasn't really paid off.
100% agree this is our biggest list management issue ATM.
We can't build good depth with so many injuries and especially to the same few players.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:03 pm 
Harry Vallence

Sidefx wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
carntheblues wrote:

Starting from the back.

What about a goal kicking mid that can rest forward or another big bodied inside mid that can let Crippa rest forward.
Like what C***Wood did with Adams on the weekend.
Have a look at their goal spread, that's what we need to stop the blind bombing into F50. Goal kicking mids.
I'd like to see what LOB looks like sitting at HF, he has to be better than Fisher and is more reliable to be on the ground than Martin.
And he can kick a goal as well as run all the way to D50 so the smalls can stay further up the ground.
Failing that I'd like to see Honey have a crack over Fisher ATM also.
Either way, we are a little light in that area.

I agree on the KPD's, no depth too many injuries and Plow and Kemp aren't the answer long term.

Like to see this with LOB. Fisher doesn't do enough for me and is poor defensively
When Walsh is back I think we will see him and Cerra play through that HF role
With Boyd injured I wouldn't mind seeing Cincotta in and Doc more mid/wing

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:09 pm 
Geoff Southby

Walsh/Cerra/JSOS on one HFF and Durdin/LOB/Owies on the other.
Sounds damaging.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:19 pm 
Harry Vallence

Sidefx wrote:
Sounds damaging.

It does. Walsh back will make such a huge difference to our side. Boyd as well

A couple of times this year Doc has gone into the middle and Cerra to HB and looked great. I like the flexibility

Our big issue I see is consistency around the smaller forwards. Walsh Cerra Durdin and possibly LOB should improve that area. Motlop should get better and better. The other is Cottrell. I thought he looked good as a HF when he played that role last year

Owies was good last week but he needs to keep his work rate up as I don't think he has the tricks

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:55 pm 
Geoff Southby

FarmerBlue wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
Sounds damaging.

A couple of times this year Doc has gone into the middle and Cerra to HB and looked great. I like the flexibility

Our big issue I see is consistency around the smaller forwards. Walsh Cerra Durdin and possibly LOB should improve that area. Motlop should get better and better. The other is Cottrell. I thought he looked good as a HF when he played that role last year

Owies was good last week but he needs to keep his work rate up as I don't think he has the tricks

Hard to disagree with any of the above.
And if we get any more injuries, I still would like to Cotts play a tagging role like Ed and George.
I reckon it could quickly become his most damaging position, especially if he gets some time up forward kicking goals as another string in his bow.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:57 pm 
Geoff Southby

Jack Billings gets a mention every year . Knows where the goals are .

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:05 pm 
Harry Vallence

FarmerBlue wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
Sounds damaging.

These are the things you miss on the TV unless the commentators mention it. I hadnt noticed that at all. I like the change up!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:06 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Top 10 New guys in round 2

Quote:
10. Anthony Caminiti (St Kilda)
In similar fashion to Phillipou, the second-game Saint had a huge impact from limited possessions.

Caminiti ended up with two goals from 13 touches while taking an equal team-high nine marks plus seven score involvements and six inside 50s.

His first AFL goal in the middle of the third term was a highlight of the night, getting on the end of a Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera pass after a Dan Butler run-down tackle to convert from just outside 50.

It was a promising performance from the SSP signing.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/03/28/the-new-guys-the-top-10-recruits-and-draftees-from-round-2/

At 196cm and only 19yo for the season, I can see why Jack Silvagni gave his dad the heads up on this player who troubled Weitering in one on ones during preseason training at Carlton. This kid would have replaced Silvagni after Jack played his 100th game, or in good time. He's mobile, he holds his marks, kicks goals and creates goals, tackles....mmmm have to watch out for these bargains.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:40 pm 
Harry Vallence

bondiblue wrote:
Top 10 New guys in round 2

Quote:
10. Anthony Caminiti (St Kilda)
In similar fashion to Phillipou, the second-game Saint had a huge impact from limited possessions.

Caminiti ended up with two goals from 13 touches while taking an equal team-high nine marks plus seven score involvements and six inside 50s.

His first AFL goal in the middle of the third term was a highlight of the night, getting on the end of a Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera pass after a Dan Butler run-down tackle to convert from just outside 50.

It was a promising performance from the SSP signing.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/03/28/the-new-guys-the-top-10-recruits-and-draftees-from-round-2/

At 196cm and only 19yo for the season, I can see why Jack Silvagni gave his dad the heads up on this player who troubled Weitering in one on ones during preseason training at Carlton. This kid would have replaced Silvagni after Jack played his 100th game, or in good time. He's mobile, he holds his marks, kicks goals and creates goals, tackles....mmmm have to watch out for these bargains.

Looks handy but would he add to our list BB?

We have Charlie McKay Silvagni TDK Lemmey up forward and also Kemp McGovern that can play there. That's enough

IMO a KPD and some more run are our needs. I agree, however, that we need to look for the bargains. They can make a massive difference. Boyd, Cincotta for example look like AFL players

Also, Hewett Young & Acres have been great pick ups for little. Although the Setterfield trade will shit me a for a long while.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:47 pm 
Harry Vallence

Sidefx wrote:
FarmerBlue wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
Sounds damaging.

Hard to disagree with any of the above.
And if we get any more injuries, I still would like to Cotts play a tagging role like Ed and George.
I reckon it could quickly become his most damaging position, especially if he gets some time up forward kicking goals as another string in his bow.

Cottrell could play defensive HF. A lot of teams create run from defence like we do with Saad. Cottrell has shown he can shutdown, tackle but also kick goals. He is a good mark and very accurate kick. He also brings energy

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2764 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 139  Next