Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:59 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:00 am 
Stephen Kernahan

CK95 wrote:
bluehammer wrote:
What I'm sure has been omitted by a few and is certainly true for me is that I've made some genuinely good friends here, on and offline.

I also met CK95.

I take it you & your dad still haven't forgiven me for leaving the Coll game early :lol:
My dad is a lovely bloke but boy can he hold a grudge.

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:11 am 
Bert Deacon

Like many others here my thirst for info in the lead-up to Black Friday was what lead me to TBV. I was living in Montreal in Canada at the time, suffice to say AFL info, let alone anything Blues specific, was scarce. Finding TBV was an absolute dream, I just couldn't believe this sort of community existed at the time. Sadly, I remember staying up to the wee hours waiting to see what would happen and being completely shattered once it all came out. My TC joining date is 28 Feb 2005 (member #179), which I think was the day most of the old TBV accounts got migrated over to the TC platform. That said, I figure I've been a regular lurker and infrequent poster (averaging about 25 posts a year, bondiblue does that many in a morning) since some time in November 2002. I haven't met or don't know too many posters IRL, just a handful, but having read so many of you so often it does kinda feel like I really do know you. Great thread!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:20 am 
Geoff Southby

snakehips wrote:
Like many others here my thirst for info in the lead-up to Black Friday was what lead me to TBV. I was living in Montreal in Canada at the time, suffice to say AFL info, let alone anything Blues specific, was scarce. Finding TBV was an absolute dream, I just couldn't believe this sort of community existed at the time. Sadly, I remember staying up to the wee hours waiting to see what would happen and being completely shattered once it all came out. My TC joining date is 28 Feb 2005 (member #179), which I think was the day most of the old TBV accounts got migrated over to the TC platform. That said, I figure I've been a regular lurker and infrequent poster (averaging about 25 posts a year, bondiblue does that many in a morning) since some time in November 2002. I haven't met or don't know too many posters IRL, just a handful, but having read so many of you so often it does kinda feel like I really do know you. Great thread!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:17 am 
Bruce Doull

Blueboy74 wrote:
Great thread. Was on TBV from Day 1. Took on the role of Club apologist and have been let down every year since!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:37 am 
Stephen Kernahan

snakehips wrote:
I haven't met or don't know too many posters IRL, just a handful, but having read so many of you so often it does kinda feel like I really do know you. Great thread!

The strangest thing about meeting posters IRL (and I've met a lot of them) is that they're almost always exactly as I expect them to be.

Well, except for CK that is.

Never picked him as a curvaceous six foot blonde with fake boobs.

Oh the fun times we had...

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:05 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

snakehips wrote:

I bet you work full time

I bet I don't

I bet I don't post when I travel

I bet you wish Covid didn't hinder my travels :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:11 am 
Bruce Doull

GWS wrote:
snakehips wrote:
I haven't met or don't know too many posters IRL, just a handful, but having read so many of you so often it does kinda feel like I really do know you. Great thread!

The strangest thing about meeting posters IRL (and I've met a lot of them) is that they're almost always exactly as I expect them to be.

Never picked him as a curvaceous six foot blonde with fake boobs.

there are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't....

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:47 am 
Bruce Doull

GWS wrote:
snakehips wrote:

Never picked him as a curvaceous six foot blonde w boobs.

They’re FAKE…

well this changes everything…!

kindest regards tommi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:17 pm 
Ken Hunter

camel wrote:
Blueboy74 wrote:
Great thread. Was on TBV from Day 1. Took on the role of Club apologist and have been let down every year since!

Amen to that brother :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

Regards Cazzesman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:33 am 
formerly Yazzamatazz

Remember coming across the BlueView and thinking there are other people as mad about the Blues as I am all congregating here together. Great.

Loved the social footy matches too, was great to catch up with people.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:42 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Here’s my chance to rewrite history (j/k).

I was a naive 18 year old who started posting on the fan forums that I think the club officially used to run.

Then I started posting on TBV when Dom decided to start one that was less officious and heavily moderated as the official Club one.

I remained neutral in the turf wars that occurred when CSC was formed by TheSheik. I did stay loyal to TBV mainly because I couldn’t be bothered posting my thoughts twice.

When the implosion occurred, I came here at the invitation of Camel and ElwoodBlues1 (hope you’re still around Elwood) and have stayed. This was mainly because I had met a few fellow TBVers and they had joined TC or expressed an intention to (I think of Synbad, Blue Vain, Headplant, Cazzesman, BlueMark (if you’re still here BM)) who were some of the originals).

I’ve had the pleasure of meeting a few TCers over the years - unfortunately some of you (CK95) I met at a pub just before our 1 April 2005 game against Essendon* and my memories are tinged with sadness as I rushed out during the first quarter of that game as my mother unexpectedly deteriorated in Sydney and she died the next day.

There has always been some great analysis, plenty of ad hominems and good old fashioned banter. Being a Sydneysider and supporting a team being constantly battered since 2002 and the source of constant derision by smug Swans supporters here in Sydney, this was a happy hiding place and shrink’s couch.

Although I don’t post as frequently as I used to, it’s been a relatively safe place to vent and analyse our team over the last 17+ years. For that, thanks to my fellow Bluebaggers.

- Igor Stravinsky

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:18 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

CarltonClem wrote:
Here’s my chance to rewrite history (j/k).

I was a naive 18 year old who started posting on the fan forums that I think the club officially used to run.

Then I started posting on TBV when Dom decided to start one that was less officious and heavily moderated as the official Club one.

I remained neutral in the turf wars that occurred when CSC was formed by TheSheik. I did stay loyal to TBV mainly because I couldn’t be bothered posting my thoughts twice.

When the implosion occurred, I came here at the invitation of Camel and ElwoodBlues1 (hope you’re still around Elwood) and have stayed. This was mainly because I had met a few fellow TBVers and they had joined TC or expressed an intention to (I think of Synbad, Blue Vain, Headplant, Cazzesman, BlueMark (if you’re still here BM)) who were some of the originals).

I’ve had the pleasure of meeting a few TCers over the years - unfortunately some of you (CK95) I met at a pub just before our 1 April 2005 game against Essendon** and my memories are tinged with sadness as I rushed out during the first quarter of that game as my mother unexpectedly deteriorated in Sydney and she died the next day.

There has always been some great analysis, plenty of ad hominems and good old fashioned banter. Being a Sydneysider and supporting a team being constantly battered since 2002 and the source of constant derision by smug Swans supporters here in Sydney, this was a happy hiding place and shrink’s couch.

Although I don’t post as frequently as I used to, it’s been a relatively safe place to vent and analyse our team over the last 17+ years. For that, thanks to my fellow Bluebaggers.

You were the first TC poster boy I met at a Training session way out at Blacktown Sports Centre on a Friday, before the Saturday game...cant remember who, but I bet we lost...and you're still kicking, all grown up with off spring and a demanding profession. I've met a few since then, but meeting TC ers IRL, and posting on TC (because I only want to post my thoughts once, and a bit of loyalty) has been great therapy whilst living in Sydney. I still love going to Swans Academy training in my Carlton Tops, as does my son before he strips down to the red and whites. :thumbsup:

Hopefully we are raising our kids in a successful era. Come over for a swim, larger and a replay over summer.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:40 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Yep I remember that Bondi - it was a pre season cup game against Swans out at Blacktown.

Ratten was still coach.

Yes, we should meet up, sorry have been saying that for ages.

- Igor Stravinsky

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:44 am 
Bruce Doull

Being a computer nerd I've been using forums forever. I remember posting on the official club run forum after the '99 GF loss but it had next to no traffic and was pretty heavily moderated compared to the non-footy forums I frequented.
I'm not entirely sure how I found TBV, but I enjoyed the freedom that a non-official forum offered. Back then I kept almost entirely to the club/afl threads, I didn't see the point of the non football section.....
I'm another who doesn't really understand the meltdown and implosion of TBV even though I watched it in real time. I migrated to TC pretty soon after it went live and it's been like a second family ever since, despite some embarrassing moments (TSW :oops: ).
I found that because my football knowledge is nowhere near some of the fantastic people who post here that I don't really have much to offer when it comes to discussion of the team, trades, players etc. Combine that with the team being shithouse I gravitated to TalkingStuff and have spent way too much time hanging out (and sometimes stirring the pot) in some of the threads there.

I see most of TC's membership a bit like family, where it's fine for us to argue amongst ourselves and even be openly hostile, but we're still bound by a common love for our club and people from outside TC are definitely not allowed to say bad shit about anyone here. I also honestly believe that there'd be very few TCers that wouldn't get along fantastically with each other in person despite shitcanning each other online all day, such is the way of the internet.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:38 pm 
Adrian Gallagher

I first joined in 2005 or 6 (not great on the details!) when I was lured to this site (and BigFooty) by a client I was working with.....much to my partner's endless chagrin, I have remained hooked on this site. I remembered pushing the refresh button during the putative Thorton trade (2006); the Judd trade; all the frustrating losses; and all the times when we have been, well, shit :cry: What I remember with fondness (and I've noticed ppl posting from overseas, as an example) is where I logged on to get my fix- Merimbula; Adelaide; Mildura; Brisbane; and any internet cafe worth noting. As the Ipads and the internet connections have improved, the romance has dulled over the years- but never my connection to TC and its wonderful contributors :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

So, many thanks to all who make TC a great placce to share all things Navy Blue! :thumbsup: :grin:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:59 pm 
Bob Chitty

It's a unique thing TBV

Remember having massive arguments with a few about our move from Optus .. still say we got shafted.

Can't even remember what my original user name was, but changed it to theprez for some reason, forgot password and the like and just gave up trying to remember email addresses etc.. and ended up just joining again

One thing I enjoyed about the forum and the social events that happened at the time

You could have some massive arguments, dead set punch the screen stuff, but then come the social engagement you would have a beer and laugh at yourself

Have meet plenty of people from the forum's , still ahve a few on Facebook etc, but by and large I enjoy taking my dad as he gets older or the footy.. still like to read this forum to keep up to date with everything.

Social club at princess park, top level on game day, was peak footy for me. Some of the best times I've had up there..

It's starting to get like that again at the captain's club with reserved seats. Same faces all the time, chats with people you only see at the footy ..

That is what the club lost when they left princess park and it's only just starting to get back to that ...

This place has been a constant through out it all

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:51 pm 
Craig Bradley

bondiblue wrote:
...cant remember who, but I bet we lost...

OMG... we're all broken :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:52 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

ScottSaunders2 wrote:
It's a unique thing TBV

Remember having massive arguments with a few about our move from Optus .. still say we got shafted.

Can't even remember what my original user name was, but changed it to theprez for some reason, forgot password and the like and just gave up trying to remember email addresses etc.. and ended up just joining again

One thing I enjoyed about the forum and the social events that happened at the time

You could have some massive arguments, dead set punch the screen stuff, but then come the social engagement you would have a beer and laugh at yourself

Have meet plenty of people from the forum's , still ahve a few on Facebook etc, but by and large I enjoy taking my dad as he gets older or the footy.. still like to read this forum to keep up to date with everything.

Social club at princess park, top level on game day, was peak footy for me. Some of the best times I've had up there..

It's starting to get like that again at the captain's club with reserved seats. Same faces all the time, chats with people you only see at the footy ..

That is what the club lost when they left princess park and it's only just starting to get back to that ...

This place has been a constant through out it all

I remember a long time ago, either on here or TBV you got knocked off your bike by a car and there was a massive amount of concern on here or TBV about your welfare.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:45 pm 
Bob Chitty

Yep. Dead set taken out by a car that drove past and then took my front wheel out .. hit the kerb, head first .. but helmet took the impact. It split in half .. abit full on .. but no concussion or anything. Wheel was a wreck but otherwise okay.

Pretty lucky when I think about it

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:38 am 
Bruce Doull

backinblue wrote:
I first joined in 2005 or 6 (not great on the details!) when I was lured to this site (and BigFooty) by a client I was working with.....much to my partner's endless chagrin, I have remained hooked on this site. I remembered pushing the refresh button during the putative Thorton trade (2006); the Judd trade; all the frustrating losses; and all the times when we have been, well, shit :cry: What I remember with fondness (and I've noticed ppl posting from overseas, as an example) is where I logged on to get my fix- Merimbula; Adelaide; Mildura; Brisbane; and any internet cafe worth noting. As the Ipads and the internet connections have improved, the romance has dulled over the years- but never my connection to TC and its wonderful contributors :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

So, many thanks to all who make TC a great placce to share all things Navy Blue! :thumbsup: :grin:

Great stuff BiB….

79 posts in 11 years means a lot brother…!

you’re not about the “yap yap”…nice…!

It’s great having somewhere for us all to
meet hey…we’re the many seals gathering on
the rocky outpost that is…the Carlton Football
Club…!

good to see ya BiB…!

kindest regards tommi

the bike accident…i forgot Mr Saunders…damn…
so close to doing more damage…(insert smiley face….here)…!

say hello to pop Saunders please…we did watch a
couple of games together back in the mid to
late 00’s…!

good times…i had hair…i could walk…i had hair…!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next